Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #2011
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Oh yeah!

I forgot to mention that my BBQ book arrived too, Darin. There's all sorts of recipes in there I'm looking forward to trying this summer!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #2012
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Yay, I've been following your posts closely. I'm just getting back into running coming back from an awful IT band injury, and its been comforting to see that NK is working for you.
During the last year, I've worked my way into running from a partial ACL tear in my left knee from playing ice hockey (which I REALLY want to get back into this fall, despite doctor warnings), so I can empathize with you a little. IT band problems are no fun--I remember the pain and bruises my physical therapist inflicted on me when trying to work out some IT band issues related to my knee injury. I had to bite down on something--the pain was so bad

Some interesting information to report today. I just got a blood ketone meter. Today I checked blood ketones and it was pretty much zilch, which made me sad but not surprised since I spent yesterday in Dayton and Cincinnati and didn't eat my normal foods. I think I got zapped with hidden carbs in a couple of things I ate, as careful as I tried to be.

At any rate, I had an 8 mile long run this morning and I decided to run it completely carb free, fueled only by my normal BPC egg cream before and some electrolyte-enhanced water during. I felt pretty good, ran a faster than normal pace for me (10:21/mile), and my energy level (despite being so obviously not keto-adapted, but apparently fat-adapted) was pretty steady throughout. I weighed myself when I got home and my weight was 133.5. So I lost about a pound of water weight, which I have no doubt replenished now.

Next Saturday, I run a half marathon. I haven't decided how that will go down, if I will try to take in a few carbs before and during, or what. I don't really want to wear a water belt with my electrolyte water but I can't drink the Gatorade they provide. So maybe I'll look into getting some salt/electrolyte tablets that ultra runners use and just drink water.

Goal now? Get my ketones under control. Since I can test accurately with the meter, I can find out what works for me and what doesn't. I bet that if I can get myself keto-adapted, my runs will feel even stronger than they do now...
Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #2013
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I didn't weigh in this morning to see the damage from eating carbs all last week, but I'm probably up a lb or two. I plan to keep total carbs at 30 g or less for the next couple of weeks, and watch how much protein I'm eating.

Nobody tell reddarin, but Blue Diamond now has roasted almonds without the soybean oil. They are good but a little dry, which helps to keep me from eating too many.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #2014
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Don't let the almonds in the house!!

Are they salted? Salted and roasted always get me, I have better control with raw.
No kidding heh. My usual brilliant strategy to avoid giving in to temptation is to avoid temptation. Opportunity makes a thief.

Roasted and salted. I've been wanting some for weeks and weeks now so this was more like a controlled descent or at least I plunged off the cliff silently rather than some tempting food shoved me off and I screamed all the way down.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #2015
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Do you have a recipe for the cheesecake?

When Philadelphia cream cheese is on sale for buy one get one, I just get so excited because they're not on sale often. Last time they were on sale, I bought them all. Over thirty bars.

So I gotta get to work on using them up.
lol

I wonder if the cashiers recognize the LC'rs when they come through the line.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #2016
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am sure the cashiers at my food coop recognize something is going on, but I think they must be trained not to comment.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #2017
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
30 bricks? I bought a huge brick of it last time at Costco.
Sorry I don't know how to link to another thread but the recipe is here on LCF. It's from literategriffin and I believe it's in the help and suggestions recipe section. It has basic ingredients. It has to be easy for me
I found it:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-label.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheechee View Post
I recently saw a plaque that had a quote from Julia Child that said something like "the only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook."
lol!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #2018
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
That's it. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #2019
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
164pointwhatever. I knew yesterday that would happen. I don't think I ate nearly enough, started new job( packed a lunch and everything!) and came home super late (for a SaHM of little ones) to sick little one. So didn't sleep. Gonna get my calories way up today. I think last two days were really low. Didn't log yesterday's yet. Stupid scale
Even without the other stuff the new job probably would have caused that just from the stress but congrats on the new job!! and I hope the little one gets better soon
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #2020
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Weigh in this morning 152.5... it's a new low, people!

I have NO idea how my body even managed to do anything good yesterday when I had that crash, but apparently it did. That's another half pound down which is great

As a plus, I kind of forced myself to stay up later last night and as a result slept a LITTLE bit better. Emphasis on the little (I woke up after a little over 4 hours instead of 2-3) but hey, it's a start! Did some research too about the link between hypo and narcolepsy... I think I may be narcoleptic, and I have been my whole life I think I got so caught up in the comical display of narcolepsy in popular media (i.e. people falling asleep in their bowls of soup) that I never even considered it as an option because I don't do that. But not everyone with narcolepsy falls asleep uncontrollably like that I guess... and I have all the other issues. Hmmmm.

I guess once I see about getting myself regulated on thyroid meds finally (and something for my awful adrenal glands) I can see about getting a sleep study done... although I'm not sure I'd really be willing to take any of the medicines prescribed for narcolepsy anyway. Part of me would rather suffer
Hooray Melanie!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #2021
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Hi guys, just recently got back from indonesia and china. Indonesia was SUPER hot and was like 22 hours of flying to get there from LAX. I think i had heat stroke, dehydration and jet lag all at once. I won't go into the details but i was feeling bad and spending a lot of my time there in the washroom. Anyway because of this my stomach was giving me problems and i HAD to eat really easy to digest things like rice and broth. When i got better i tried going back on LC (in indonesia and china) and it was very hard because of the food options. Anyyway, i've been back home for 3 or 4 days and have been back on LC since i got home. It's all good now and im back to where i started before i left and best of all - no cravings Good to be back in Canada.
Welcome back Myles!

We used to have a name for that in the Army but I can't recall what it was. Something really generic like 'the junk' or something. Almost everyone got it when they went to a different country particularly overseas. I got it in Korea and in Central America. I tell you what! I got it bad in Honduras. I was sick for about two days and I experienced a serious case of the dry heaves for the first time in my life. They actually let me sleep in that morning lol. *That* never happens in the Army. But we were at a check point and all sleeping in a GP Medium tent so they heard me when I stumble out into the night cause I didn't make it very far. Lots of moaning and 'oh God' on my part.

Did the commies get to you Myles??? Remember John Candy in Volunteers??? That was so funny.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #2022
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Having more muscle will help with maintenance.
I'll go a lot further than that.

I think some sort of fitness routine will address the biggest problem with reaching goal - lack of direction. Once you get to goal, there you are and now what? Fitness goals can help by giving you somewhere to direct your mental energies. And it also gives you a good reason not to backslide because you will be sacrificing both weight loss and fitness gains. Not to mention the intangible aspects like a better sense of well being and calmness.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #2023
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
don't you love this woe?
lol it is crazy right?? I'll probably balloon up tomorrow but it is weird seeing no bounce at ~5000 calories when I've bounced at 2200 calories. There was lots of fiber in those extra calories though

Last edited by reddarin; 04-27-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #2024
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Oh yeah!

I forgot to mention that my BBQ book arrived too, Darin. There's all sorts of recipes in there I'm looking forward to trying this summer!
Hooray!! I mostly just concentrated on the ribs and steaks even before LC. There is a recipe for home made BBQ sauce that could probably be made LC friendly. I tried it (before LC) and the store bought was much better to me - Devil's Spit and a few others. But I might try that again with LC ingredient substitutes and a lot more hot spices.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #2025
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I didn't weigh in this morning to see the damage from eating carbs all last week, but I'm probably up a lb or two. I plan to keep total carbs at 30 g or less for the next couple of weeks, and watch how much protein I'm eating.

Nobody tell reddarin, but Blue Diamond now has roasted almonds without the soybean oil. They are good but a little dry, which helps to keep me from eating too many.

No worries. I still have some of this big bag left and I've gotten my almond fix till the next blue moon I think.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #2026
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
164pointwhatever.
Hope your little one is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Weigh in this morning 152.5... it's a new low, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post
134.5 this morning - but I know I'm a little dehydrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning... after eating 4861 calories yesterday because after I posted my log I ended up eating more almonds ... 195.0 same as yesterday lol.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #2027
Blabbermouth!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #2028
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
OMG I wanna strangle that skinny blonde, Meme Roth.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #2029
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I can't wait to make that cheesecake--thanks Red.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #2030
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
I woke up this morning and went to turn on the coffee maker and its dead
I wanted a nice mug of BPC to start my day. Now I'm drinking a weak cup of instant with some HWC. Tastes like watered down HWC
Guess who's going shopping today.
I know how you feel. I NEVER want to be without my coffee. I am out of hwc today and it is rough.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #2031
Senior LCF Member

Up a bump of .4 to 236. Maybe I need some almonds. I do think that the one minute muffin I ate a couple of days ago with carbquick added to this. Like I said, an experiment. Failed!!! I'm thinking of trying a FF for a couple of days. But, you know, the fear of hunger is so powerful.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #2032
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Hi guys, just recently got back from indonesia and china. Indonesia was SUPER hot and was like 22 hours of flying to get there from LAX. I think i had heat stroke, dehydration and jet lag all at once. I won't go into the details but i was feeling bad and spending a lot of my time there in the washroom. Anyway because of this my stomach was giving me problems and i HAD to eat really easy to digest things like rice and broth. When i got better i tried going back on LC (in indonesia and china) and it was very hard because of the food options. Anyyway, i've been back home for 3 or 4 days and have been back on LC since i got home. It's all good now and im back to where i started before i left and best of all - no cravings Good to be back in Canada.
Welcome back. You have been missed. Long distance traveling is the pits. Enjoy being home.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #2033
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I'll go a lot further than that.

I think some sort of fitness routine will address the biggest problem with reaching goal - lack of direction. Once you get to goal, there you are and now what? Fitness goals can help by giving you somewhere to direct your mental energies. And it also gives you a good reason not to backslide because you will be sacrificing both weight loss and fitness gains. Not to mention the intangible aspects like a better sense of well being and calmness.
Man, you guys are actually starting to convince me that exercise is a good idea... who would have thought that was possible?

That is true though, I guess part of maintenance being so hard is probably due to the whole "Where do I go from here?" aspect of it. Because when you have a goal and you KNOW that you're trying to lose weight, you're really actively going at it with everything you've got usually and you know what you're doing. With maintenance obviously I want to maintain my goal weight... but it's really easy to slip up I'd assume with that, and think little things here and there are okay until you're sliding down a slippery slope into badness again

Part of my final goal IS toning though along with maintenance, so that's a good thing I don't think I'll ever be some marathon runner or anything like that... I just don't have it in me But I could definitely see myself doing Callanetics and things of that nature. And walking, like I just did today.

I probably WILL wait a little while though anyway, unless I find some mysterious burst of energy somewhere... simply because my doctor's visit is on May 6th and I'm HOPING that'll get my treatment going in the right direction. I've been honestly floored that I've been able to lose at all with my thyroid completely messed up and being unable to sleep right, so if I hit my first goal by then... that'll be crazy. Heck, I'm close enough for it to be crazy even now. But hopefully getting some treatment will actually ALLOW me to feel up to exercising again. Right now I find the couch a much more comforting solution to my problems still
Old 04-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #2034
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh no! And since I generally only lose a few pounds a month regardless of what I'm eating, not eating, doing, or not doing, I can't even say for sure that starting Callanetics stalled me for a few weeks.
Oh yeah, I meant to ask you earlier too but I forgot! Do you actually need any props to do Callanetics properly, or no? I keep seeing people saying, "Oh, I could never do that... I don't have a ballet bar in my house!" and all this weird stuff. I should probably know in advance if I need some crazy items or a crazy set up to be able to complete the program

I have the 10 in 10 video by the way, not sure which one you use
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #2035
Major LCF Poster!

Melanie-since there's been talk about maintenance I was wondering what you or anybody plans to do different eating-wise? Keep everything the same? Add more protein or carbs? Keep counting everything?
I've been thinking about it but don't know what the proper plan is for NK maintenance.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #2036
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Melanie-since there's been talk about maintenance I was wondering what you or anybody plans to do different eating-wise? Keep everything the same? Add more protein or carbs? Keep counting everything?
I've been thinking about it but don't know what the proper plan is for NK maintenance.
I don't really know yet to be honest. Right now I'm eating at the very bottom of my protein goals, which I know is low for most but it's where I seemed to do the best loss wise and such... so I'll likely up my protein from where it is, closer up to the 1.5 mark. Right now I'm only getting 60-some grams a day, and 1.5 would put me in the 90's pretty much. So that'd be a significant difference I think!

I'll add more carbs, but none of the junky foods are getting back in. So no wheat, no gluten, no grains at all... no sugar, probably no potatoes ever either. But I'm going to start eating more veggies again because I do love them. The only problem is, I don't know how certain ones will affect me and I think that's the scary part of maintenance is just having to experiment with what'll work and what won't... and having to deal with the consequences of what happens when something doesn't work. I know I'll eat more salads probably, more asparagus and broccoli again... maybe the occasional serving of beans if I find I can handle them. I MAY try very small amounts of fruit at some point as well, I really don't know.

I plan on also watching my sodium less closely which will be nice because I'm always under or around about 1200-1500mg a day every day which is HARD Mostly that's just because I'll retain water though if I don't watch it, and that just gets in the way of me losing... so when I'm in maintenance I think this will be less of an issue.

Another thing I plan on doing is adding back in LC options that SHOULD have been okay for me in the first place, but instead caused me to stall. Like aspartame... can't eat it, I'll stall. No clue why because other sweeteners are fine So I'll probably eat SF Jello again and SF Jello pudding... actually go through the Crystal Lights that are laying around my apartment. Try Atkins bars/shakes again if I'm brave enough and actually WANT them.

I may finally try some of the low carb baking recipes I've been avoiding like the plague too that use almond/coconut flours for treats on rare occasions... just things like that It's really not hard for me to see where I could add in more carbs because I'm only getting less than 10 total a day lately. So it'll be nice to have a bit more variety!

I think it's just going to be a trial and error process of gradually adding back in GOOD more moderate carb foods, and seeing what I can work with. Like almond butter... I've avoided ALL nut butters the whole time I've been LC-ing believe it or not. I bought some almond butter, but didn't want to give away that many carbs to such a small portion of it. If I'm allowed 50 or so a day though, then a few carbs here or there seems a LOT more reasonable to spare than when I'm only eating about 10
Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #2037
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
OMG I wanna strangle that skinny blonde, Meme Roth.
Ain't that the truth. Typical liberal Do-as-I-say-because-I'm-always-right bimbo.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #2038
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I forgot to mention... I probably will still count everything, but I'll actually start to allow myself to do things again that I'm not 100% sure of if I feel like I have a good handle on things. What I mean by that is, I used to cook up HUGE crockpots full of food. A giant roast, or 7 quarts of soup... things like that. And I'd just eat off of those dishes for a week or so and freeze the leftovers. Well, since I've been trying to lose and tracking things so closely I haven't done that at all. Whatever I have for a meal gets portioned out and weighed prior to cooking the meal, and I log everything. That way I know EXACTLY how much I'm eating basically versus guessing whether there's enough chicken in my soup, or just what a serving of vegetables in a casserole should look like.

Another example of things like that is restaurant eating. I know you'll never know if they're REALLY giving you the right sized portion based on their nutritional information... but it seems to be close anyway, because I had okay luck losing weight still while dining out all the time. But I REFUSED to go anywhere for the most part that wasn't part of a chain that had that nutritional menu because I didn't like the guess work involved with logging things. The rare exceptions were the Ruby Tuesday salad bar (they have a nutritional menu, but obviously the salad bar is a build your own sort of thing) and this REALLY good Mexican restaurant me and my dad love. It'll be nice to be able to go to a family restaurant over here again, and just estimate how many ounces that burger was... or how many ounces of veggies I ate on the side.

...speaking of, the diner by my house actually has a burger that has bacon ground up into the hamburger meat. Yeah, go ahead and think about that for a minute. Let the awesomeness sink in. AMAZING
Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #2039
Major LCF Poster!

The burger with the bacon sounds amazing! Is that the one you said has blue cheese?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #2040
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The burger with the bacon sounds amazing! Is that the one you said has blue cheese?
Nah, but I'm sure you could add it That'd actually be really good!

There's this bar down the street from my place (that I spent an ungodly amount of time at this past summer ) that has something called a Black and Blue burger, that's a Cajun blackened grilled burger patty with blue cheese on top... definitely yummy! But spicy I wish they knew how to lettuce wrap things like Red Robin does, because that'd make it perfect
Closed Thread