Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #1951
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Woohoo! Everyone's had some great weigh-ins this morning!

No new low for me yet, but I AM down the half pound of bounce weight from yesterday and back to 153... so I'll definitely take that as a good WI

Hoping to head to the park again today to de-stress a bit, and get some walking in... I'm not usually much of an exercise enthusiast (seriously, if you're hypo and untreated, good luck exercising ) but it's nice for me to get out once in a while. Especially when I've been woken up at 8am already by my neighbors upstairs, ushering in what appears to sound like a herd of elephants that are now tap dancing on my ceiling

Hopefully no sunburn this time though! Darin, if you can add a sound proofing device to your wonderful all purpose miracle invention I might be persuaded to stay indoors more often and avoid such perils

Interesting you mention going to the park to destress. I was just reading yesterday about 'earthing' or 'grounding yourself' which is where you sit or stand on bare ground(grass etc) in your bare feet so that your body's electrical fields can be grounded by the earths natural electrical field. I know it sounds woo-woo but I really do feel better if I can spend some time in good weather touching (clean)dirt and grass or sand. I sleep better too. If you can negate the effects of EMF(electro-magnetic fields) that we are surrounded and bombarded by in our high-tech wireless densely populated areas you can even lose weight.

Google grounding-anne-louise-gittleman for the article i was reading. I'm looking into the device that can ground you while you sleep at night.

Last edited by Deb34; 04-26-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #1952
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
There is no chart Michelle. The type of ketones tested by the stix is different from the type tested by the strips. From what I've read there doesn't appear to be a proportional relationship between the two types of ketones. Even if there is such a relationship and it is measurable, the accuracy of the stix is thrown off by hydration levels.
what he said.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #1953
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
I think my biggest fear is seeing the number climb back up on the scale or not budge, even though I KNOW I'd be looking better from it and losing inches.
The number on the scale is just that... a number. No one will ever know it but you (and, well, US, but you know what I mean). Meanwhile, everyone will see the results Callanetics gives you when you're in that swimsuit!

If the numbers on your scale really bother you, I'd put it away for a few weeks. Use your measuring tape to track your progress and take photos. I also suggest going through that "Callanetics Before/After" thread that someone posted a link to. It's very inspiriting and let me tell you... I've talked to a LOT of people who do Callanetics and not a single person has EVER said that they wished they'd waited longer before starting!

Quote:
When you started to lose again, was that after you quit Callanetics entirely? Or do you still do Callanetics now and lose while on it?
I'm not doing Callanetics right now because someone read-ended me and I re-injured my back. My doctor suggested that I stop for a few weeks and I'm counting the days until I can begin again! I love the way I feel after a Callanetics session.

I started losing weight again after a couple of weeks... still doing Callanetics, still eating LC. And who knows if that tiny stall was even related to starting Callanetics? What's two weeks anyhow? A drop in the bucket.

Just keep reminding yourself that body composition >>>> numbers on the scale.

Quote:
It looks like cardio but claims to build strength without bulk.
It's definitely NOT cardio!
So far: 0/10
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1954
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
129-2 days in a row
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #1955
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post

163s? We don't need no stinking 163s!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #1956
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
I am in Baton Rouge, but most of the filming is in New Orleans/Metaire. Sometimes we get something in Baton Rouge but not often.

They are filming TV series Bonnie and Clyde in St. Francisville right now -- but only want size 0-6! So . . . I won't be in that one. Oh, well.

I did do a BlueCross commercial right here in Baton Rouge, it was so sweet to only have to drive 8 minutes to set! Getting ready now to drive to New Orleans... Sigh. I put a movie in the dvd player in the car and listen to it the whole way, makes the time pass faster.
Typical....
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #1957
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickbch View Post
I am very new to this. I am on Atkins and have been on a stall. Proabably related to not eating enough calories. Any suggestion? I did really well on induction. My friends suggested fat diet to get farther in ketosis. I read allot of neg things lately about the ketone sticks that they arent accurate. How does everyone measure?

Welcome to the thread.

How long have you been on atkins?
What is your carb intake now/
I don't use ketone strips.
Maybe give us an idea of how your eating?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #1958
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 195.0 down almost a pound of the two pound bounce
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #1959
Senior LCF Member

Robin Yea!!
Cheryl Way to go.

I'm not sure where I'm going. I was up a pound yesterday but back down .4 today to 235.6 So is it a win or not?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #1960
Senior LCF Member

Too bad my phone doesn't have a camera. Had a hugh plate of pork rind nachos w/ 1/2 container of homestyles lc chili (my netrition order came in. Woohoo) cheese, jalapeno slices and 1 whole avocado on the side. Came in at 608 calories, 45 f, 13.3 carb and 38.3 protein. Right now I feel that this may be my only meal
Old 04-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #1961
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
I'm not real sure Melanie. It looks like cardio but claims to build strength without bulk.

Strictly speaking, that doesn't sound like it qualifies. The reason moderate resistance training fits NK (and LC) so well is that it adds metabolically active muscle tissue. But Callenetics, from what I've just read, sounds more like what almost any non-resistance exercise claims as a benefit - better fitness.

The thing about exercise, even very moderate strength building, is that once you do it you *have* to not forget you are doing it. Don't let scale fluctuations make you doubt yourself. Don't get trapped into thinking there is some sort of exercise to weight loss ratio. Just because so and so does 20 hours a week and lost 725 point 6 pounds in the first 9 days doesn't mean that anyone else will. You can't compare their results to your own because with exercise your phenotype is Supreme Lord and Commander of your fitness destiny.

On the other hand...

You are not that far from goal and I don't see any reason to actually hit whatever the goal number is before beginning a fitness program if you want to incorporate that at some point anyway.

Weight loss may not be a benefit from a properly executed exercise plan but a properly executed exercise plan of any sort has a zillion health benefits.

A strong argument can be made for starting to exercise well before goal weight. It gives you a chance to explore various exercise routines of interest to you. It allows you to slowly ramp up to be at full stride when you are satisfied with your weight (hit goal or just think wow I look great!). The feedback is generally positive - you've lost a lot of body fat so the muscle or tone can really pop when you are a noob - so, since you are already interested in being gorgeous (or devastatingly get flirted with handsome for us guys) you are sort of self-propelled forward towards that goal.

I found a very old Before & After thread that is still getting posted to:

CALLANETICS BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS

...and this months challenge thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...-new-post.html

...and finally, Michelle is a fan of Callenetics and participates in both those threads so she might have some insights.

It's definitely nothing like cardio from what I've seen

But you do make a good point about wondering why I have to hit that number first before jumping into trying new things with a fitness plan. Part of it is the fear that I'm going to stall or gain, and I am pretty set on hitting those numbers at some point... so obviously that's a concern for me. Part of it is also my body, because with the untreated hypo right now my body unfortunately doesn't afford me a lot of energy and I'm finding myself crashing sometimes (like today... at the park, feeling fine... suddenly I'm cripplingly tired, can hardly stay awake, hardly make it home ) so I figured by the time I hit goal I'd at least probably (hopefully anyway) be started on some new medicine. If the next doctor I see in a little over a week isn't useless like the last one

But I think the other reason is really because I'm scared of maintenance. I've NEVER been able to maintain weight loss... EVER. And I know many people struggle with maintenance more than they struggled with the weight loss. So my thinking was always that it'd be better for me to eliminate all other variables and be sure that I can do maintenance before adding anything that may make me gain anyway. Of course like you were saying, I don't KNOW that Callanetics specifically would stall me or cause weight gain... but I don't know that it won't either, and that's been frightening me into waiting.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I appreciate it I think if I can get over myself long enough to accept the fact that I might stall or worse I'll try it... if not, it's all the way to goal for me as planned I guess

Last edited by raindroproses; 04-26-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #1962
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Interesting you mention going to the park to destress. I was just reading yesterday about 'earthing' or 'grounding yourself' which is where you sit or stand on bare ground(grass etc) in your bare feet so that your body's electrical fields can be grounded by the earths natural electrical field. I know it sounds woo-woo but I really do feel better if I can spend some time in good weather touching (clean)dirt and grass or sand. I sleep better too. If you can negate the effects of EMF(electro-magnetic fields) that we are surrounded and bombarded by in our high-tech wireless densely populated areas you can even lose weight.

Google grounding-anne-louise-gittleman for the article i was reading. I'm looking into the device that can ground you while you sleep at night.
Nah, it doesn't sound woo-woo to me... or maybe it's because I'm a little woo-woo myself anyway. I'm kind of earthy minded anyway, and I do get what you're saying. I really enjoy it too, so I hope it dries up over here pretty soon. We had some pretty bad flooding recently so the ground is all squishy... definitely sneaker weather

That'd be interesting if something could actually ground you while you slept though. I've never heard of anything like that before
Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #1963
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I am having wine now. I haven't had any in over a month (I know, OMG! And I am our resident wine-o! For shame!).. I'm able to finally relax since I know I'm not failing anything right now.

B: coffee w/ 1T HWC, 2 slices bacon, 2 oz cream cheese
S: iced coffee w/ HWC from starbucks (I reckon it was about 2 oz)
L: 2 yolks + 1 egg mixed with sour cream
D: .5 oz walnuts, .5 oz macadamias, 2 oz cream cheese
Bad girl: 3 glasses of wine

Today was a modified fat/alcohol fast

1533 cals/30g protein/24g carbs/114g fat
Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #1964
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
The number on the scale is just that... a number. No one will ever know it but you (and, well, US, but you know what I mean). Meanwhile, everyone will see the results Callanetics gives you when you're in that swimsuit!

If the numbers on your scale really bother you, I'd put it away for a few weeks. Use your measuring tape to track your progress and take photos. I also suggest going through that "Callanetics Before/After" thread that someone posted a link to. It's very inspiriting and let me tell you... I've talked to a LOT of people who do Callanetics and not a single person has EVER said that they wished they'd waited longer before starting!
Yeah, you're absolutely right and that's really fantastic advice... I'm a daily weigher though, so I don't know if I'd have the willpower to put it away I think when I can't see what's going on, I start second guessing myself and I think that I need to do all kinds of crazy things because "oh man, what if I ate too much yesterday?" or "oh no, what if all that dairy I ate is going to cause a stall?" When I can actually see somewhat what's going on, I think I stress less... so that's why I weigh daily.

And like I was telling Darin, I'm actually scared of maintenance and I think it's going to be VERY difficult for me to find a comfy medium that I can handle without losing or gaining anymore once I hit that point... so I guess part of the waiting was to not add anything more onto that plate than there already is, because many people find maintenance to be quite hard

You're right though, no one (except my doctor) will know about that weight on the scale unless I tell them about it and everyone can SEE my body... it's just getting beyond my own fears and my own negative association with seeing the number climb that's the killer. But I'm trying to work on it!

Quote:
I'm not doing Callanetics right now because someone read-ended me and I re-injured my back. My doctor suggested that I stop for a few weeks and I'm counting the days until I can begin again! I love the way I feel after a Callanetics session.

I started losing weight again after a couple of weeks... still doing Callanetics, still eating LC. And who knows if that tiny stall was even related to starting Callanetics? What's two weeks anyhow? A drop in the bucket.

Just keep reminding yourself that body composition >>>> numbers on the scale.
Geez, I'm so sorry that happened to you but I'm glad you're okay! Hopefully it won't be too much longer until you're back to 100% and can start Callanetics back up again... it sounds like something you were really enjoying that was helping you out

That's good to hear you could actually start losing while doing Callanetics though, I was afraid it'd stalled you the whole time. That's true it's impossible to know for sure what REALLY stalled you, but I do know exercise is the culprit for many and with the way my body works I haven't known if I really wanted to chance it

I think the body composition >>>> numbers on the scale thing should be my motto from now on though! I really AM tired of looking at the saggier squishy skin and the bits of body fat that are really obvious to me, but I'm not sure if Callanetics helps loose skin at all... but I guess I've got a bit of body fat that'd probably be improved upon anyway. I think I ran my calculations earlier using that Navy calculator and it had me in "Acceptable" levels for women, almost to the "Fitness" section... which I find weird because I see a LOT that can be improved on. According to that I'm at 25.97% body fat.

Quote:
It's definitely NOT cardio!
That's what I was thinking! I pretty much HATE cardio
Old 04-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #1965
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Today's numbers

Calories 1779
Pro 60g 14%
Carbs14g 3%
Fat 164g 83%

Coffee HWC
Sausage
Eggs
Cheesecake
Fat bomb
Diet soda float
Brie
Old 04-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #1966
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I am having wine now. I haven't had any in over a month (I know, OMG! And I am our resident wine-o! For shame!).. I'm able to finally relax since I know I'm not failing anything right now.

B: coffee w/ 1T HWC, 2 slices bacon, 2 oz cream cheese
S: iced coffee w/ HWC from starbucks (I reckon it was about 2 oz)
L: 2 yolks + 1 egg mixed with sour cream
D: .5 oz walnuts, .5 oz macadamias, 2 oz cream cheese
Bad girl: 3 glasses of wine

Today was a modified fat/alcohol fast

1533 cals/30g protein/24g carbs/114g fat
Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #1967
Senior LCF Member

Food Log April 26, 2013

Todays menu:

B coffee w/hwc, co

L Platter of cheese nachos w/1/2 container of homestyle chili (5 c), cheese, jalapenos and 1 avocado

D 4 oz hamb patty w/ 3 T salsa

S 2 coke floats w/hwc

Totals:
1581 cal
139 fat
20.6 carb
88 protein
Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #1968
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
had my first treat in two months today, went to a food market with a friend and ate Vietnamese dumplings (omg so good)

you watch, tomorrow i'll have lost weight
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #1969
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickbch View Post
I am very new to this. I am on Atkins and have been on a stall. Proabably related to not eating enough calories. Any suggestion? I did really well on induction. My friends suggested fat diet to get farther in ketosis. I read allot of neg things lately about the ketone sticks that they arent accurate. How does everyone measure?
Hi Barb Welcome to our thread

You posted this on the 2nd in another thread:
"I eat eggs and meat for breakfast. Sometimes skip lunch as i am not hungry then meat and vegies for supper"
I do not follow the Atkins way of eating so I'm only familiar with it. Are you eating from the induction food list?

Are you still eating very little because of the appetite suppression that happens to most people on LC?

You mentioned, in the Introduce Yourself thread, that exercise is a problem for you. Do not worry about exercise. You do not have to do it to lose weight. Period. Exercise can even make it harder to lose weight. So, don't fret about that. I lost about 70 pounds without exercise.

You were asking about starvation mode in that other thread too. That can be an issue but that is not usually the problem with low or very low calories. The problem stems from stressing the body with too little energy in compared to too much energy expended. Low calories do that. And usually low calories bring on other problems like a tendency to binge or go off plan.

But the stress thing, to restate it, is more about the calorie deficit. Too much is not good for most people for weight loss.

If you are eating very little and stalled that probably is the problem if your menu is otherwise well formulated for LC.

So, how many calories would you say you eat a day? How strictly to you maintain your LC menu? Do you log your food?

I do not test with the blood ketone strips or the stix. I rely on observation and results to guide me along with some careful record keeping. Occasionally I contemplate Midnight at the Well of Souls. That doesn't help with NK but it was a very, very cool book.

Ketostix are inaccurate but they are also very inexpensive and they can give nice feedback if you want to use them. Lots of people use them. Lots of people do not use them. Totally up to you. One thing is for sure, when the stix turn a dark color the people that use them are rightly jazzed about it.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #1970
Major LCF Poster!

Melanie,
Talking about working out, it also has a lot to do with you thyroid I bet. My brain has the great idea to work out, but getting my body moving is not so easy, I bet Janette will second that?

My muscles get fatigued and have a heavy weakness. That is the only way I can think to describe it. When I have been hypo and hyper I just have no strength.
I think oh I will just do it, but then I just can't sometimes. Other times I feel like I have to conserve my energy.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #1971
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Weigh-in Apr 26, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 4,173

Fat: 387
Pro: 142
Car: 81

79/13/8

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, jalapeno, onion, cheese, sour cream, broth [bacon grease, CO, bouillon].
Dinner: Almonds.
Snack: OMG almonds.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #1972
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Today's numbers

Calories 1779
Pro 60g 14%
Carbs14g 3%
Fat 164g 83%

Coffee HWC
Sausage
Eggs
Cheesecake
Fat bomb
Diet soda float
Brie
I wish I could keep my protein lower. How in the world do you do it. I guess my meals are too centered around meat. Doesn't really look like you ate much today.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #1973
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 4,173

Fat: 387
Pro: 142
Car: 81

79/13/8

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, jalapeno, onion, cheese, sour cream, broth [bacon grease, CO, bouillon].
Dinner: Almonds.
Snack: OMG almonds.
Blast those darn almonds! Were they salted?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #1974
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

Calories 1566

Fat 117
Pro 85
Carb 29

Breakfast bacon and eggs

Lunch string cheese, jello and cool whip with cream cheese

Dinner Fajitas with salsa and sour cream

Pm snack cream cheese, cool whip and Jello
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #1975
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Is the one you are using a military BF calculator?
No, but since you mentioned it, I looked up the army BF calculator. It also had me at 43% (not not eligible to join the military). *sigh* I want to join you down at the 23% range.

I was looking for it, because I cam across an interesting introduction to ketogenic diets, and the suggested method of calculating needed protein is to multiply lean body mass by 0.8 (or 0.9 if you're very active, which I'm not). That puts me around 88 g protein/day, which is 10-20 more than I've been eating since October.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #1976
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
when the stix turn a dark color the people that use them are rightly jazzed about it.

hell yeah!!

six Vietnamese dumplings three hours ago and i'm still dark pink - i hope thats a good sign

Last edited by Perfectdeb; 04-26-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #1977
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Melanie,
Talking about working out, it also has a lot to do with you thyroid I bet. My brain has the great idea to work out, but getting my body moving is not so easy, I bet Janette will second that?

My muscles get fatigued and have a heavy weakness. That is the only way I can think to describe it. When I have been hypo and hyper I just have no strength.
I think oh I will just do it, but then I just can't sometimes. Other times I feel like I have to conserve my energy.
Yes! That's it entirely... ugh. Thyroids are such a pain in the rear sometimes, I swear It's really great that I can come here and talk about these things though, and people understand what I'm going through to some degree I almost wonder if being in ketosis is even rougher on those with hypo because a lot of people talk about having less energy anyway and getting fatigued quicker in ketosis... well that's pretty much every day for me anyway, honestly. So what the heck

It was just crazy today though how the weakness just hit me like a sack of bricks. I mean, I'm used to exhaustion... but this went beyond that. I was just walking really leisurely down the path, feeling fine. Then all of a sudden I felt like I couldn't walk another step, and it all spiraled from there. I was lucky I made it home, but when I did I crashed on the couch and couldn't move for two hours or so. Not even to check my email or anything like that. It was crazy

That whole having to conserve your energy thing, and thinking you're going to do something/you WANT to do something and then you just can't... I definitely understand that feeling. That's why I'm so behind on all my cleaning and my writing too. And everything really. I used to feel like I must just be a lazy person (like people often do with being overweight... it's not that your body is working against you, it's that you must be lazy which isn't true!) but now I know I just do the best I can do with what I have and wait until I have a better option to go with

...and sit on my butt and play lots of video games. That always passes time when I have no energy to clean
Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #1978
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
134.5 this morning - but I know I'm a little dehydrated.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #1979
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Melanie,

Yep. There have been a couple days that I felt a slight soreness in some muscles like I had worked out. I thought that was odd.
I feel like if I have the energy to do the most basic things for the day, cook, laundry, meet the basic needs of my kids, that's good. And if I have some extra energy I'll do some deep cleaning.
I must have been hyper last year when I was doing P90X, insanity and cleaning every inch of my house!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #1980
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I wish I could keep my protein lower. How in the world do you do it. I guess my meals are too centered around meat. Doesn't really look like you ate much today.
It looks like a little because that cheesecake has a ton of calories. I enjoyed it but I got rid of the rest. It felt like I was eating such a small amount and then it was over 500 cal! Super high in fat though. But some protein. It seems like the protein in dairy foods like cream cheese and sour cream are 'hidden protein'. You don't think of the protein but it can add up. Meat and eggs=protein. I think I eat a lot of dairy sometimes. Oh and the almond butter in the fat bombs have some.