Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #1891
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Log for today

Calories 1515

Fat 123 74%
Pro 79 21%
Carb 20 5%

Breakfast Ham and eggs
Lunch Salad, cream cheese, Cocoa and CO
Dinner Cheese burger and salad
Snack string cheese

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #1892
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
the last few posts have been making me feel sick I will never eat organ meats ever ever ever

and that pic was the worst, almost like the thought of people actually eating 'prairie oysters'

my stomach is seriously heaving
You know, Deb, I've never really seen anyone eating "prairie oysters", (except on TV). I wonder................
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #1893
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Food Log April 25, 2013

Todays menu:

B coffee w/hwc, bacon x4, 1/2 one minute muffin

L 3 oz chicken breast w/2 T butter, 1/2 c. squash, onions

D 2 oz sliced ham w/ 2 T butter, 1 c cottage cheese

S 3 sf sodas w/ 3 T hwc each

Totals:
1609 cal
128 fat
28.3 carb
9.4 fiber
79 protein

Tried something new today. Haven't had any carby things except veggies for a long time and wanted to see if added flax muffin would add weight. We shall see.

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 04-25-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #1894
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
ive dropped a tiny bit (yay!) just a half pound but i'm hoping thats now a downward trend

i'm having trouble eating enough, i have zero appetite and i just go all day without eating.

we had friends over for dinner on thursday night (it was a public holiday here) i made meatball madness - meatballs with lots of shredded veggies included in a rich tomato and vegetable sauce with spaghetti. I like it because i can just leave out the spaghetti for me and i'm not cooking a different meal for everybody else.
I could only eat two, and they're not big, maybe the size of an egg, i was totally full

do you suppose its really true that if you dont eat much your stomach shrinks? i've always thought that was crap but it really feels that way
Hooray Deb!!

...and .... yes it appears so:

REALLY?
The Claim: Your Stomach Shrinks When You Eat Less
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #1895
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Oh man, don't even get me started... EVERYTHING is good on buttered toast

I've actually never had tomato preserves though. Sounds interesting I know they've got a whole bunch of different interesting preserves and jellies at my local farmer's market (they're family owned and operated and make a lot of their own products) but it's just too bad I can't really try most of them now. I sincerely doubt they're ketogenic foods
Yeah, it takes a whole lot of sugar to make tomato preserves. We made them at home one time when I was a kid. For a day or two they were not super but after a couple of days the flavor developed and they were awesome.

We made peanut butter ice cream homemade one time too. If you like PB you'd love that stuff but man alive it was way too sweet even for us kids. I mean, we finished it heh but it was really too sweet.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #1896
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Today:

B: coffee w/1T HWC, 4 slices of bacon, bouillon w/ 3T HWC
L: deconstructed brisket burrito
D: roast chicken leg quarter with ranch

1362/105g fat/11g carbs/89g protein

We went out to a Mexican joint for lunch.. I got a brisket burrito but nixed the tortilla. Its awesome because they end up giving me way more meat than a burrito would hold. It was shredded brisket mixed with chile con queso and pico. So salty. So good.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1897
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
I found out my temp job is ending tomorrow. I'm relieved because the odd schedule and lack of sleep was wearing me down, but now I have to try and find work again.

I plan to start back on strict low carb this weekend.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #1898
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Okay, if any of you out there drink homemade protein shakes/egg creams and have never blended some macadamia nuts into one along with some ice... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? It's seriously good! I was really surprised, but that's the best egg cream I've ever made.
I turned my macadamia nuts into butter a while back when I had tooth problems, and discovered it's wicked good in yogurt. I'm gonna have to try your egg cream idea now!

Last edited by MerryKate; 04-25-2013 at 09:24 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #1899
Senior LCF Member

Boy, I leave for a few days and I come back to find discussions of organ meats and "prairie oysters".. Are you really having that much trouble finding protein sources?

After reading all the sources saying I should be eating more calories, I'm finally going to break down and try it. Part of me is sure I'll be up next week...I've got so much experience with 1800 calories as my "break even" point, it's hard to believe I could lose weight eating 2200 calories.

I know to figure my goals correctly, I need to figure out my lean body mass. The caliper thing is not an option (no way to have it done), so I've been going by my measurements. However, I have one calculator on my ipod which goes off measurements of the waist, wrist and forearm, which puts me at 28%. The ones I've found on the 'net that go by weight and waist and neck measurements put me at 43% (which is thoroughly distressing, I can tell you). There's a big different between the protein levels for the two percentages. Anyone have a suggestion?

The funny thing is, I've been struggling all week with a desire to snack my way through the evening, but after 24 hours of the higher protein and calorie goals, I'm just not hungry for dinner.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #1900
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Boy, I leave for a few days and I come back to find discussions of organ meats and "prairie oysters".. Are you really having that much trouble finding protein sources?

After reading all the sources saying I should be eating more calories, I'm finally going to break down and try it. Part of me is sure I'll be up next week...I've got so much experience with 1800 calories as my "break even" point, it's hard to believe I could lose weight eating 2200 calories.

I know to figure my goals correctly, I need to figure out my lean body mass. The caliper thing is not an option (no way to have it done), so I've been going by my measurements. However, I have one calculator on my ipod which goes off measurements of the waist, wrist and forearm, which puts me at 28%. The ones I've found on the 'net that go by weight and waist and neck measurements put me at 43% (which is thoroughly distressing, I can tell you). There's a big different between the protein levels for the two percentages. Anyone have a suggestion?

The funny thing is, I've been struggling all week with a desire to snack my way through the evening, but after 24 hours of the higher protein and calorie goals, I'm just not hungry for dinner.
I actually don't think any of us use our lean body mass percentage to figure out our protein levels... it's done by using our "ideal" weight on the height weight frame size chart basically. You figure out what is considered an "ideal" weight for your frame size at your height (regardless of whether that number matches your final goal or not... if it does though, that's great use that!) and then you plug that into the formula to figure it out.

(ideal weight/2.2) * 1.5 = your upper level of protein basically. From there you can tweak it up or down, but you should never eat at a level below your (ideal weight/2.2) * 1 number because that's considered too low and your body will start to use lean body mass to feed its protein requirements.

Does that make sense?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #1901
Major LCF Poster!

So if 140 is correct for your height and frame (according to those charts basically) your protein requirements should be 95g max... and you can tweak it down from there. Your low point should be 64g per day. If you aim somewhere in the middle, you should be good Some of us can tolerate the 1.5 level, some of us can't. I know I can't, so I often aim for right around my bottom number and I seem to do well there!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #1902
Major LCF Poster!

The theory is that our bodies can't store excess protein for use later, so anything that wouldn't be used up by a frame of our size will be left over... and that left over in a lot of people (especially the metabolically askew) can trigger an insulin reaction in the pancreas akin to what happens when we eat carbs. Obviously you can see where that'd cause a problem

The same thing happens in reverse though. If we eat too LITTLE protein to sustain our body frame, our body will have to seek out sources of protein elsewhere... so in emergency situations, it will eventually begin to eat away at our lean body mass which will in turn obviously affect our weight loss because lean muscle burns more calories for us than fat!

I have to add though, having one low day here or there isn't going to send your body into crisis mode or anything so try not to worry too much... I have them now and again, and the most important thing is to figure out what happened and fix it if possible so it doesn't happen in the future
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #1903
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Kate just bump your calories up slowly like 100 extra for a few days, see what happens, add another 100 for a few days, see what happens, and so on.

If you've been doing a particular calorie level and are stalled then push up slowly. If you are coming in cold with no calorie history then start at the x*30kCal level and work down or up.

Yeah, the ambiguity of the formula that uses LBM is why I don't care for it much. If you have a solid way of figuring out your LBM and are sure it is right then that formula is fine. But if you don't then the x*1.5-2.0 is a better start point I think. [ETA: Or, you have a BF% goal and are pursuing it with exercise and have a way of monitoring LBM.]

Jimmy Moore said, on a Fat Burning Man podcast, that Dr. Phinney told him he leans more towards a protein range of 1.0 to 1.5 -- (reference_weight/2.2)*1.0 to 1.5. I emailed JM about that surprising comment and he would not confirm what he said nor did he say he misspoke (which says it all I think). From what I can tell about JM's NK info that he's posted and talked about, he is closer to 1.0 than 1.5 and he's said many times that he had to lower his protein to get the NK range of blood ketones. I think starting at 1.5 is the best plan and I mention what he said in that podcast so you can make your own informed decision about how to proceed. I am usually in the 1.18 to 1.25 range for protein.

The ideal, in my opinion, is to eat as much protein grams as you can and still reach NK level blood ketones. Same with calories. As much as you can and lose weight. Start high and work down is a better strategy then start low, risk LBM and the problems that accompany not eating enough. With calories, as I said, if you are already at an established level then go up slowly keeping an eye on how you do as you go.

Last edited by reddarin; 04-25-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #1904
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the input, Reddarin and Raindroproses. Interestingly the LBM formula I found comes out at about the same as the reference weight/2.2*1.5 in terms of protein, so I'm aiming for around 90 and see how it goes. I went ahead and had an omelette for dinner (when all else fails, eat eggs). At this point, I think I could cheerfully skip eating tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #1905
Major LCF Poster!

Weight this morning 154.2
Old 04-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #1906
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Weight this morning 154.2
Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #1907
Major LCF Poster!

129-2 days in a row
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #1908
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:

Is the one you are using a military BF calculator? I had to get body fat tested for school, and I was at 22% with all their special devices. When I did measurements and used one of the military BF calculators, it put me right at 22% as well. I'm 23% now.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #1909
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
129-2 days in a row

Hooray
Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #1910
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
129-2 days in a row
Hooray! I bet it feels great to be in the 120s now.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #1911
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012

163s? We don't need no stinking 163s!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #1912
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
WI this morning shocked me. 168! Went to my mom's last night and ended up eating when not hungry. her food always tastes so darn good. had a small pc of pork steak with a bit of ranch (dipped it, yummm) then a salad with ranch and had some cuc's on it. THEN had a bowl of ground hamburger and added cream cheese. THENNNN i had SIX strawberries and more cream cheese blended with splenda and stuffed the middle of the berries w/ the cheese. was like stawberry cheesecake heaven. i haven't had fruit in decades! fig'd I'd pay for it on the scale today but then to see down 1.4lbs! WOOOOO helps my mentality tremendously. eat and lose weight. crazy theory.

heading to my jazzercise class, yay! no work, woo!
happy friday everyone!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #1913
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Hi guys!

Does someone have a chart that shows where the different "colors" on ketosticks correlate with the numbers you'd get via testing blood?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #1914
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
WI this morning shocked me. 168! Went to my mom's last night and ended up eating when not hungry. her food always tastes so darn good. had a small pc of pork steak with a bit of ranch (dipped it, yummm) then a salad with ranch and had some cuc's on it. THEN had a bowl of ground hamburger and added cream cheese. THENNNN i had SIX strawberries and more cream cheese blended with splenda and stuffed the middle of the berries w/ the cheese. was like stawberry cheesecake heaven. i haven't had fruit in decades! fig'd I'd pay for it on the scale today but then to see down 1.4lbs! WOOOOO helps my mentality tremendously. eat and lose weight. crazy theory.

heading to my jazzercise class, yay! no work, woo!
happy friday everyone!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #1915
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking the same about your WI post! love it!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #1916
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Beezer, where are you from? I used to work in Minden and they had movies filming downtown all the time..
I am in Baton Rouge, but most of the filming is in New Orleans/Metaire. Sometimes we get something in Baton Rouge but not often.

They are filming TV series Bonnie and Clyde in St. Francisville right now -- but only want size 0-6! So . . . I won't be in that one. Oh, well.

I did do a BlueCross commercial right here in Baton Rouge, it was so sweet to only have to drive 8 minutes to set! Getting ready now to drive to New Orleans... Sigh. I put a movie in the dvd player in the car and listen to it the whole way, makes the time pass faster.

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #1917
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
157.0 Lowest I've been so far!!! Down 1/2 lb from yesterday!

And I had an awesome workout this morning! Set of timed exercises..first time was 1:21, second time was 1:09 and third time was 1:02!!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #1918
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
157.0 Lowest I've been so far!!! Down 1/2 lb from yesterday!

And I had an awesome workout this morning! Set of timed exercises..first time was 1:21, second time was 1:09 and third time was 1:02!!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #1919
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Quote:
Thanks! Hopefully mine will stick for 2 days like yours did! Congrats on that BTW!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #1920
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Hi guys!

Does someone have a chart that shows where the different "colors" on ketosticks correlate with the numbers you'd get via testing blood?
Hi Michelle!

I'm not really sure if there IS a chart out there, honestly... I remember I was told that there really isn't a direct correlation between the two types of testing, and that seeing color on your ketosticks is basically indication enough of being in ketosis. You either are, or you aren't. Like a pregnancy test That being said, when my purple color is darker I actually DO find that I lose quicker... so while I don't know the exact correlation between the colors and the blood testing numbers, I DO know that (at least for me!) darker IS better. During TOM it fades to really light purple (the lowest ketone reading) and I don't lose at all. If I have a string of particularly good days where my fats are high and my carbs are really low, it'll often turn dark purple. But usually it's in the middle.

Hope that helps a little! Maybe someone else has seen a chart like that before?
Closed Thread