Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #1861
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I like chicken livers but cannot do beef liver . . yuck.
Chicken livers are wonderful sauted with mushrooms.
The slow cooker is indeed a good way to keep gizzards especially from getting too hard and chewey. I get frozen bags of organ meat practically free from a farmer whose customers rarely ask for the giblets. If they've been in the freezer a bit to long to be prime, I share generously with my pets. I do worry a bit about toxins in livers, so I try only to eat organic organ meats.

As a poor student in years past I slow cooked beef hearts . . they turn out quite tender.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #1862
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
As picky as I am I like chicken hearts, gizzards and livers
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #1863
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
the last few posts have been making me feel sick I will never eat organ meats ever ever ever

and that pic was the worst, almost like the thought of people actually eating 'prairie oysters'

my stomach is seriously heaving
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #1864
Blabbermouth!!!

lol Deb
Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #1865
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
the last few posts have been making me feel sick I will never eat organ meats ever ever ever

and that pic was the worst, almost like the thought of people actually eating 'prairie oysters'

LOL different strokes for different folks I guess... I love the darn things! I even love beef tongue when I can get it, but I've never cooked it myself

Some people if they can't tolerate the look of the hearts whole will slice them up and use them in stir fries too... I think they're pretty common in some Asian cuisines prepared that way actually.

I guess there's just not too much that I won't eat, or at least won't TRY
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #1866
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, if any of you out there drink homemade protein shakes/egg creams and have never blended some macadamia nuts into one along with some ice... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? It's seriously good! I was really surprised, but that's the best egg cream I've ever made. And all because I really needed to up my fat for the day SOMEHOW and I decided to get creative.

You're welcome
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1867
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
As picky as I am I like chicken hearts, gizzards and livers
Yay Darin! I grew up eating them, so I guess I never I got the "eww" factor from them at all. When I was lucky enough as a kid my mom would make something called giblet soup, which was like chicken soup with homemade hungarian style dumplings and gizzards/hearts. She'd always fish out the most hearts for my bowl because she knew I loved those the most

I keep wanting to cook beef heart, but since the first time I saw it at the grocery store I haven't seen it come back... I knew I should have snatched it up when I saw it! Weirdly enough, this area seems pretty devoid of butchers too but I wonder if my farmer's market (since they have a meat section) would be able to sell me beef heart on a special order? Or maybe the Asian grocery downtown might have it, because I know they stock a lot of interesting organ meats. I'll have to go on an offal scavenger hunt!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #1868
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I love anything with nuts.
Afraid I would like it too much.
But willing to give it a try just for the h of it.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #1869
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
You guys crack me up.
Robin is stoked and so excited about her jeans. Then erinisme comes in with in walks Debbie downer.
yes, I'm def over the top about these blingy butt jeans! LOL, only cuz I used to be a size 22 needs a 24 but too broke girl and never could wear jeans, gotta love an NSV right!

Def bummed out for erinisme but yes, "debbie downer" phrase always makes me chuckle as we use that around our house and with the boys we say "davie downer" or "sammy sad face" LOL silliness

Quote:

yeah...prob have to second this. i am trying to be more open minded about foods as my taste buds have changed DRAMATICALLY over the last 1.5yr - i used to think avo's were gross/slimy/tasted like grass and now if i can eat one a day I'm a super happy camper! onions too. yummm.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #1870
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Log so far today:
Meal 1 5a
1 cup unswt vanilla almnd mlk
2 tbsp EVCO
1/4 sq unswt bakers choc
smidge of coffee and clear liq stevia

Meal 2 930a
coffee with 2.25 oz HWC and 2 tbsp EVCO and 3 splenda packets

Meal 3 1p
5 oz tuna (can, drained water)
1 avo

Total calories so far about 1150ish and 80.1/14/5.9%

Not sure about dinner plans yet...thinking I'm going to have some more coffee, HWC, EVCO then call it a day. Happy to say not hungry. Sucked at drinking water today. I mean really sucked. No more workouts tonight and hanging at my moms to watch the NFL draft so won't want to eat anything there! she lives on Dr Pepper and chips/cookies...
Old 04-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #1871
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:

I had to use an ad blocker extension to get rid of the picture. i didn't want to risk seeing it again if I scrolled back up the page!

I'm with you on being grossed out by organ meats. I've actually been thinking of switching to vegetarian NK because I'm kind of tired of meat. My protein needs are not that high, and I would still be eating eggs and dairy.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #1872
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Okay, if any of you out there drink homemade protein shakes/egg creams and have never blended some macadamia nuts into one along with some ice... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? It's seriously good! I was really surprised, but that's the best egg cream I've ever made. And all because I really needed to up my fat for the day SOMEHOW and I decided to get creative.

You're welcome
Do you soak the macadamia nuts before blending them? Back in my vegan days, I used cashews to make creamy non-dairy sauces. They were easier to blend if I soaked them for a few hours.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #1873
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Do you soak the macadamia nuts before blending them? Back in my vegan days, I used cashews to make creamy non-dairy sauces. They were easier to blend if I soaked them for a few hours.
Nope, I didn't! But I actually didn't think of that I just threw them in my blender and went to town blending it along with the ice... I kind of liked the tiny little bits of nuts that were left over in the shake. It reminded me of when I used to order milkshakes places, which was really nice because I drive past a Steak N Shake all the time by my apartment, and it drives me nuts not being able to have one anymore

This particular one was made with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1T of HWC, 1/8 cup of macadamia nuts (I used the chopped kind, so that's probably why they blended pretty quick!), 1/2 scoop of protein powder, some SF peanut butter Torani syrup, and 1 large egg. Oh, and ice
Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #1874
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I got my grade back for that accounting test I thought I bombed. 74. PHEW. Class average was a 61.

I just get really stressed because I can't get less than a C in any of my classes or I'll have to retake it. I am on such a tight schedule with the sailor getting out of the Navy and our subsequent moving to wherever he gets employed next. I do NOT want to end up living in Savannah for 4 or 5 months without him.

I feel better now though.

Last edited by mizzcase; 04-25-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #1875
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I got my grade back for that accounting test I thought I bombed. 74. PHEW. Class average was a 61.

I just get really stressed because I can't get less than a C in any of my classes or I'll have to retake it. I am on such a tight schedule with the sailor getting out of the Navy and our subsequent moving to wherever he gets employed next. I do NOT want to end up living in Savannah for 4 or 5 months without him.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #1876
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

That's great news! Look at you, beating the class average... great job!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #1877
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:

It's awful stressful!
My DH is pretty stressed out finishing up his first semester. He even had to cut out a few of his afternoon naps.
Congrats on the grade!!
Your gonna do fine!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #1878
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Wow, I really have to watch my protein. I have never had, gulp, hearts before.
As a podunk somewhut country girl I am ashamed to admit that I don't do much organ meat. Never even cooked chicken livers. Used to fish with them though.
Boy, do I miss fishing. opps my ADD is acting up.
I may have to buy some livers, hearts are on the bucket list, gulp, mammybe
Actually I think gizzards taste better than hearts. Something about the texture, but my own opinion. Try them both.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #1879
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
LOL different strokes for different folks I guess... I love the darn things! I even love beef tongue when I can get it, but I've never cooked it myself

Some people if they can't tolerate the look of the hearts whole will slice them up and use them in stir fries too... I think they're pretty common in some Asian cuisines prepared that way actually.

I guess there's just not too much that I won't eat, or at least won't TRY
Oh Melanie, a girl after my own heart. ha I love , love beef tongue. Just boil it a couple of hours and then peel it and slice it. Good w/ onion, carrots etc Also like sweetbreads. (My kids always called it the cows armpit) Your picture looked good. Sorry Deb, but it does. ha Haven't really bought hearts by themselves before. Must try it.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #1880
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It's awful stressful!
My DH is pretty stressed out finishing up his first semester. He even had to cut out a few of his afternoon naps.
Congrats on the grade!!
Your gonna do fine!
Poor baby!!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #1881
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 25, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,627

Fat: 238
Pro: 99
Car: 32

80/16/5

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, sour cream, cheese, boiled cabbage, broth [bacon grease, butter, bouillon].
Dinner: Jalapeno cheddar sausage, onion, sour cream, cheese.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #1882
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Wow tough test! You kicked butt Casey!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #1883
Blabbermouth!!!

My Dad is the reason for some of the things I eat that an ordinary picky person would never touch like the chicken innards.

Tomato preserves is another thing that he got us to love. Sooooo good on buttered toast.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #1884
Major LCF Poster!

Today's numbers

Calories 1756
Pro 58g 14%
Carb 13g 3%
Fat 158g 83%

BPC x 2
Cheesecake
Bun less blue cheese burger
Diet root beer float
More cheesecake
Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #1885
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Today's numbers

Calories 1756
Pro 58g 14%
Carb 13g 3%
Fat 158g 83%

BPC x 2
Cheesecake
Bun less blue cheese burger
Diet root beer float
More cheesecake
Ahhh how was the blue cheese burger? I've always wanted to try that one lettuce wrapped sans bun, but I haven't gotten a chance to since that dang royal always lures me in
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1886
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ahhh how was the blue cheese burger? I've always wanted to try that one lettuce wrapped sans bun, but I haven't gotten a chance to since that dang royal always lures me in
I liked it a lot! But they brought it on a bun! I sent it back.
I think I'll buy some blue cheese crumbles to put on my own burgers.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #1887
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
ive dropped a tiny bit (yay!) just a half pound but i'm hoping thats now a downward trend

i'm having trouble eating enough, i have zero appetite and i just go all day without eating.

we had friends over for dinner on thursday night (it was a public holiday here) i made meatball madness - meatballs with lots of shredded veggies included in a rich tomato and vegetable sauce with spaghetti. I like it because i can just leave out the spaghetti for me and i'm not cooking a different meal for everybody else.
I could only eat two, and they're not big, maybe the size of an egg, i was totally full

do you suppose its really true that if you dont eat much your stomach shrinks? i've always thought that was crap but it really feels that way
Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #1888
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
I liked it a lot! But they brought it on a bun! I sent it back.
I think I'll buy some blue cheese crumbles to put on my own burgers.
Aww what a bummer! I would have sent it back too! Whenever I've asked for it on a lettuce wrap instead of a bun it's always come out correct... one of the waitresses even called it "protein style" which I thought was pretty neat, since I think that's an In-N-Out Burger thing and I'm all the way on the East coast pretty much

Glad you enjoyed it though! I was never even a huge fan of their until I started eating the bunless lettuce wrapped burgers there. There's just something about those burgers wrapped in lettuce that tastes SO much better than the burgers I used to eat

The bar I love that's down the street from my place has something called a Black and Blue burger, that's a Cajun style blackened burger patty topped with blue cheese. It's awesome! I agree, blue cheese is great on burgers
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #1889
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
My Dad is the reason for some of the things I eat that an ordinary picky person would never touch like the chicken innards.

Tomato preserves is another thing that he got us to love. Sooooo good on buttered toast.
Oh man, don't even get me started... EVERYTHING is good on buttered toast

I've actually never had tomato preserves though. Sounds interesting I know they've got a whole bunch of different interesting preserves and jellies at my local farmer's market (they're family owned and operated and make a lot of their own products) but it's just too bad I can't really try most of them now. I sincerely doubt they're ketogenic foods
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #1890
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
ive dropped a tiny bit (yay!) just a half pound but i'm hoping thats now a downward trend

i'm having trouble eating enough, i have zero appetite and i just go all day without eating.

we had friends over for dinner on thursday night (it was a public holiday here) i made meatball madness - meatballs with lots of shredded veggies included in a rich tomato and vegetable sauce with spaghetti. I like it because i can just leave out the spaghetti for me and i'm not cooking a different meal for everybody else.
I could only eat two, and they're not big, maybe the size of an egg, i was totally full

do you suppose its really true that if you dont eat much your stomach shrinks? i've always thought that was crap but it really feels that way
I really do think my stomach has shrunk, except for the week before TOM, then I feel like a bottomless pit. (like today)
Closed Thread