Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1771
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I'll keep you all updated though! And I'll look into the deep breathing as well, thank you Cheryl I have an app on my iPhone that's actually deep breathing exercises but I stopped using it ages ago... meditation would probably work similarly here as well!
*That* is the beauty of the turbine attachment. If forces deep breathing (a direct result of high velocity wind from the 30 foot blades) and a meditative state (a direct result of not taking long strides because of said blades). Our field trials so far have indicated an increase in both BP and heart rate but we attribute that to the excitement of furthering science in the name of all people world wide.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #1772
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
*That* is the beauty of the turbine attachment. If forces deep breathing (a direct result of high velocity wind from the 30 foot blades) and a meditative state (a direct result of not taking long strides because of said blades). Our field trials so far have indicated an increase in both BP and heart rate but we attribute that to the excitement of furthering science in the name of all people world wide.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #1773
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Log for today so far:
roughly 1400 cals
133g fat
51g prot
4g carb

84.5/14.5/1ish%

Pretty excited about stats so far today and excited about how I'm feeling. I've drank about 50oz water so far and planning to hit min of 100oz or more if thirsty. I will eat another 400 calories by 3p and planning to do IF this eve - so keeping my eating window to 8 hours, fast for 16. If I feel like I can't live (ha) I will take an EVCO shot this eve and won't worry about it

I'm needing to stop the night eating. Last night I went a little wild on the cabbage in bacon grease, it was SO good and had lots of bacon...but weight was down a bit this morning from yesterday so not a big deal but just don't like that I'm starting to form some habits that I'd felt were previously getting more under control. So, off to drink water and listening to JM podcasts right now listening to his 6 mo update on his NK experiment. Good stuff.

I did get my free ketone blood tester in the mail with 2 FREE strips WOOO! Going to wait a week and try to stay perfectly on track so I can do my first blood test soon! Excited!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #1774
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Log for today so far:
roughly 1400 cals
133g fat
51g prot
4g carb

84.5/14.5/1ish%

Pretty excited about stats so far today and excited about how I'm feeling. I've drank about 50oz water so far and planning to hit min of 100oz or more if thirsty. I will eat another 400 calories by 3p and planning to do IF this eve - so keeping my eating window to 8 hours, fast for 16. If I feel like I can't live (ha) I will take an EVCO shot this eve and won't worry about it

I'm needing to stop the night eating. Last night I went a little wild on the cabbage in bacon grease, it was SO good and had lots of bacon...but weight was down a bit this morning from yesterday so not a big deal but just don't like that I'm starting to form some habits that I'd felt were previously getting more under control. So, off to drink water and listening to JM podcasts right now listening to his 6 mo update on his NK experiment. Good stuff.

I did get my free ketone blood tester in the mail with 2 FREE strips WOOO! Going to wait a week and try to stay perfectly on track so I can do my first blood test soon! Excited!
Hooray for down a bit!!!

For a while I was eating my last meal by 4pm and often 3pm. I liked doing that because before LC I was a slave to food and I'd eat all the way up until I went to sleep.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #1775
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Tell that scale to get it together or else it goes back!
It must have worked because my weight is down over a pound from yesterday. Yea!!!! 234.4.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #1776
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
It must have worked because my weight is down over a pound from yesterday. Yea!!!! 234.4.
Hooray!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #1777
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #1778
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #1779
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow that is good! I might try to get some this Friday
It's really great so far, and I really do think it's working... and the extra relaxation I get from taking it is pretty nice in the evening too if I do say so myself

I also think I wasn't sitting still for long enough before I took my BP, because I took three readings all 3-5 minutes apart from each other (they tell you to wait 2-3 minutes on the meter in between readings to allow your blood flow to normalize again after having cuff on your wrist) and the next two were lower and a bit closer together. They recommended you take 2-3 and average them out to get a better idea of what your reading should be, and my average from those three readings was 132/80. That's pretty great

Either way, using the first reading or using the average that's a HUGE difference in the diastolic pressure... I have no idea if stress more heavily affects that number, or if the hawthorn goes to work on diastolic over systolic first, but I'm definitely happy with my results so far and will continue to monitor it to see how I progress
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #1780
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Your body absorbs all that magnesium from the Epsom salts and relaxes you.
Huh, I never knew that! That's awesome No wonder it's so good for relaxation... you've officially convinced me to give epsom salt baths another shot!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1781
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Hubby killed our scale! We have this stupid towel bar that falls off the wall regularly. Although we have lived there for a year, when it falls off we just stick it back on...well
Hubby knocked it off and it busted the LCD display. I'm conflicted because I really wanted to weigh today...but now I can pick a new one
Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #1782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Darin - do you think bumping up to 1800 would really work when I'm only burning approx 1900 a day? I'm scared!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #1783
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

Calories 1384

Fat 103 68%
Pro 78 23%
Carb 33 9%

Breakfast / Ham and eggs
Lunch/ Broccoli, deviled egg, mini peppers
Dinner/ stuffed peppers, salad
Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1784
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Darin - do you think bumping up to 1800 would really work when I'm only burning approx 1900 a day? I'm scared!
Yes I do.

I do not trust those calorie calculators for one thing. I do trust Phinney/Volek when they say that even an obese person that is sedentary burns 30kCal per kg of body weight per their (or maybe Phinney's) clinical experience. Even if you are technically obese you are not sedentary. That is about 2600 calories for you.

I think that there is a band of calories where you are high enough to not be starving but too low to keep your metabolism engaged and you lose really slowly or stall. I haven't read that anywhere in particular it is just what I think based on all the junk I've read and heard (and seen around LCF).

And I know for sure that too much of a calorie deficit fights weight loss. Short of starving yourself with a very low calorie plan that some people choose to do for feel like they are forced to do for health reasons (which don't normally get mentioned when they promote very low calorie eating because it is the only thing that works for them).

Wait until you get your new scale before you start though. You need a couple of days of weigh-ins on the new scale so that your start point is not thrown off by the change of scales. And remember, we aren't talking about a huge change. Just 100 to 200 calories. If you start trending upwards it is easy enough to remove those calories and try 100 to 200 less. But I'd be real surprised if less calories is the answer to the problem.

By the way, you know I post my daily numbers and then my weigh-in the next morning. I average about 2300 calories a day and I am steadily losing weight. According to the daily calorie calculator at Calculator Pro, I need 2,232.17 calories to *maintain* my weight as a 72", 193 pound, sedentary male. I don't think that I am an exception to the formulas they are using, I think the formulas are usually off the mark.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #1785
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
By the way, you know I post my daily numbers and then my weigh-in the next morning. I average about 2300 calories a day and I am steadily losing weight. According to the daily calorie calculator at Calculator Pro, I need 2,232.17 calories to *maintain* my weight as a 72", 193 pound, sedentary male. I don't think that I am an exception to the formulas they are using, I think the formulas are usually off the mark.
You're definitely not the only exception, I think as NK-ers we're ALL kind of exceptions because it seems like this WOE thrives on having those extra calories and our bodies function on a much different level weight loss wise than other people following standard low fat/low calorie diets.

I think it told me that I needed to eat 1200-1300 calories to maintain my weight or something silly like that before... when I ate at that level, I couldn't lose anything! And when I plugged in my weight loss goal per week as 2-3 pounds (like I lost this past week weirdly enough) it told me DANGER I'd have to starve myself and eat unhealthily small amounts of food to accomplish that task, and how dare I even ask it for such a thing... choose a more reasonable weight loss goal. Funny, because I did just that eating almost 1600 calories a day, every day
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #1786
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
162.4 lbs. Just about the same.

Haven't check in lately --- posted in main lobby: getting rhinoplasty (nose job) on Monday at age 44!

So I'll be busy with that recovery for a couple weeks.

Going to make a big batch of my homemade chicken soup, blend it up, and drink that through a straw the first few days. I will also be drinking my 'fat coffee'.

So. I might be MIA for a few days after Monday. Busy getting *fabulous* ---

So excited to finally be getting the hump off my nose! YAY!!!!!

QUESTION: Been having dull ache in my legs. I took potassium pill and that helped within the hour. now, 3 days later, having leg cramps during the night -- but I'm taking Magnesium at bedtime. you think I should be taking potassium every day or just get more salt? (I'm afraid to do anything to promote swelling, given the surgery on Monday.)

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 04-24-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #1787
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 24, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,147

Fat: 180
Pro: 109
Car: 32

74/21/5

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken & cabbage fry, onions, jalapeno, broth [bouillon, butter, bacon grease].
Dinner: Tilapia, tomato.
Snack: HWC float.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #1788
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Melanie, was it you that has talked about Red Robin? I'm going there tomorrow. What do you like there? How do you count it? I can't find their bunless burger nutrition info online?
Thanks for any help
Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #1789
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post

Haven't check in lately --- posted in main lobby: getting rhinoplasty (nose job) on Monday at age 44!

Going to make a big batch of my homemade chicken soup, blend it up, and drink that through a straw the first few days. I will also be drinking my 'fat coffee'.

QUESTION: Been having dull ache in my legs. I took potassium pill and that helped within the hour. now, 3 days later, having leg cramps during the night -- but I'm taking Magnesium at bedtime. you think I should be taking potassium every day or just get more salt? (I'm afraid to do anything to promote swelling, given the surgery on Monday.)
That's wonderful

I'd call the doctor's office and ask if it is okay to take some extra potassium/salt between now and the surgery. They might faint at the suggestion of adding salt to your diet since the anti-sodium message is so ubiquitous.

Pickle juice, a few swigs, will usually kill those cramps instantly in a pinch.

It could be a sodium issue or a potassium issue or both. Usually, on LC, it is not enough sodium since that forces loss of extra potassium.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #1790
Major LCF Poster!

Numbers for today

Calories 1781
Pro 62g 14%
Carb 14g 3%
Fat 163g 83%

Coffee HWC x 2
Bacon, egg yolk
Fat bomb
Sausage, 2 eggs
LC cheesecake
Diet root beer float
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #1791
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Ok I'm having a problem. For some reason, I tried a salad today w/no meat. Now I'm low on protein. But my Calories are1571, 141 fat, 22.5 carb and 58 protein. Do I add 3 egg yolks to level it up to 1780 w/ 154 f, 24.3 carbs and 65.8 protein? Or leave it alone? The first cal are w/ 2/3 c cottage cheese that I haven't eaten yet. Woe is me....

Never mind, by changing cottage cheese to 1/2 c and yolks to 2 hard boiled eggs, my new totals are:

1689 calories
150 fat
21.2 carbs
65.6 proteins.

todays menu:
B coffee w/hwc, 2 oz ham w/salad and dressing
L 1 coke float w/hwc
D 5 oz Polish Sausage w/squash, onions, 1 T CO and butter
S 1 Big Red zero w/hwc

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 04-24-2013 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: calculating
Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #1792
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Hey Melanie, was it you that has talked about Red Robin? I'm going there tomorrow. What do you like there? How do you count it? I can't find their bunless burger nutrition info online?
Thanks for any help
Yes, I LOVE Red Robin! My favorite is the Royal Burger (the one with bacon, mayo, and a fried egg) minus tomato and wrapped in lettuce. I usually ask them if they can cook my egg in butter as well, because they usually use margarine and I'm more comfortable with butter

If you look on their website, they have a burger builder on there. If you go to the main page and click on "menu" and then click on "nutrition customizer" you can pretty much look at what exactly is in EVERYTHING with ANY substitution imaginable. It's pretty neat! I love them for that You can even see what would happen if you took croutons, tomatoes, or onions out of your salad for instance... or what would happen if you ordered one of the entrees, but minus the sauce.

Hope that helps! Their lettuce wrapped burgers are AMAZING though! I probably ate about 10 of them last month

Here's a picture of one (although it's hard to see the burger... but you can get an idea of how they wrap the burger. And yes, I often photograph my food

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps095ce4a8.jpg
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #1793
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok I'm having a problem. For some reason, I tried a salad today w/no meat. Now I'm low on protein. But my Calories are1571, 141 fat, 22.5 carb and 58 protein. Do I add 3 egg yolks to level it up to 1780 w/ 154 f, 24.3 carbs and 65.8 protein? Or leave it alone? The first cal are w/ 2/3 c cottage cheese that I haven't eaten yet. Woe is me....
Honestly, I try not to worry about it if I'm low on protein one day here and there... I don't think any damage can really be done with that, so long as your body isn't protein deprived for long periods of time.

That being said, if you're hungry you certainly can have some egg yolks! The extra calories really aren't going to hurt you with this WOE, so if you feel like you can eat them I'd say go for it. Just don't make yourself overstuffed or feel sick on the account of your protein... I think you'll be fine either way
Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #1794
Major LCF Poster!

Oh another thing about Red Robin, they'll let you sub the fries for another side without extra charge... so if I can spare the calories/sodium (sodium especially!) for the day, I usually opt for the Caesar salad without croutons. If I'm too high on salt already, I usually just tell them I just want the burger without a side
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #1795
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Melanie! You are so helpful.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #1796
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Donna, I been wondering what happened to you. I figured you and Mark Ruffalo were off filming a movie.
Glad you checked in and let us know your having surgery. Hope it goes great and you heal fast.

Darin's pickle juice trick works great for me when my legs ache.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #1797
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Thanks Melanie! You are so helpful.
Aww you're welcome! Glad I could help Enjoy Red Robin tomorrow, and let us know what you thought of the burgers if you order one... I'm sure some of the other ones are tasty too, but I can't get away from the Royal. It's just so good, and completely NK friendly with all the bacon and egg and mayo I usually try to limit my mayo when I'm out places because I know there's soy in it, but eh... I make that a little treat every so often because it's so darn good!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #1798
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Never mind, by changing cottage cheese to 1/2 c and yolks to 2 hard boiled eggs, my new totals are:

1689 calories
150 fat
21.2 carbs
65.6 proteins.

todays menu:
B coffee w/hwc, 2 oz ham w/salad and dressing
L 1 coke float w/hwc
D 5 oz Polish Sausage w/squash, onions, 1 T CO and butter
S 1 Big Red zero w/hwc
Melanie is right. An off day on grams every now and then probably won't matter much. Usually when that happens the best thing is to try to figure out how it happened so you don't get caught short again if it was preventable. [ETA: or figure out how to fix it like you did ]

For example, when I first really bumped my calories up I would get caught towards the end of the day still needing a bunch of calories. After that happened a few times I had to stop enjoying the appetite suppression which you have to admit is a sinful pleasure after many years of being drug around by an impossible to ignore 'must eat' compulsion - and start eating more. Same with protein. If I wasn't careful I'd end up at the end of the day with a heck of a lot of protein left to go for goal.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #1799
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Donna, I been wondering what happened to you. I figured you and Mark Ruffalo were off filming a movie.
Glad you checked in and let us know your having surgery. Hope it goes great and you heal fast.

Darin's pickle juice trick works great for me when my legs ache.

Good luck and keep us informed.
LOL! Maybe I'll dream of Mark Ruffalo while I'm doing all that sleeping after recovery. I think he would LOVE my new nose . . . who knows what could happen? LOL

I'm going to work on a horror film for the next two days. It's going to be 12 hour days, so I probably won't check in until this weekend. I don't THINK there are any famous stars on this movie "DEVIL'S DUE", but I can't find much information about the movie on the internet. Maybe it's super-small or maybe just not enough info. out there yet? IDK. I'll let you know if I see any famous hotties on set.

I'm going to bring LC peanut butter balls (I make them and freeze them) and some boiled eggs in my lunch bag, in case they don't have any LC options for lunch. I have to be there at 6 a.m., it will be a long day. I don't usually eat until 11 a.m., but I'll bring some HWC (and maybe some butter!) for coffee on set. I can usually get black coffee and put my own creamer in it and that works well on set. (People just look at me weird. LOL)

Thanks for the support!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #1800
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
LOL! Maybe I'll dream of Mark Ruffalo while I'm doing all that sleeping after recovery. I think he would LOVE my new nose . . . who knows what could happen? LOL

I'm going to work on a horror film for the next two days. It's going to be 12 hour days, so I probably won't check in until this weekend. I don't THINK there are any famous stars on this movie "DEVIL'S DUE", but I can't find much information about the movie on the internet. Maybe it's super-small or maybe just not enough info. out there yet? IDK. I'll let you know if I see any famous hotties on set.

I'm going to bring LC peanut butter balls (I make them and freeze them) and some boiled eggs in my lunch bag, in case they don't have any LC options for lunch. I have to be there at 6 a.m., it will be a long day. I don't usually eat until 11 a.m., but I'll bring some HWC (and maybe some butter!) for coffee on set. I can usually get black coffee and put my own creamer in it and that works well on set. (People just look at me weird. LOL)

Thanks for the support!
Oooooooh! Is it a zombie apocalypse movie?!?? If it isn't, maybe you can drop some hints with the producer about how popular the movie would be with some zombies in it.

Closed Thread