Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #1681
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Test it on a small area of skin just to be careful. I have no idea what kind of ACV we used back then. It could have been a milder version of what is available today.

I use q-tips for applying organic ACV to myself all the time. I drink a ton of diet soda so I get acne occasionally and as soon as I see it I daub it with straight ACV. That usually gets rid of it within a day or so. Also, gross as it is, when I lost a lot of weight I started getting warts. I bet I got a dozen or so over several months time. The first one was on my temple. I knew that the commercial stuff's instructions said specifically not to apply it to your face so I googled around for a homeopathic cure. ACV was a popular cure so I tried it and it worked like a charm. I just daubed it on straight with a q-tip.

If the skin is broken, or maybe abraded, it will sting a little but that goes away quickly. A time or two it stung like heck.

I do the same thing with acne! I thought I was the only one It really does dry them up within a day or two, which is amazing for me because my hormones have always wrecked havoc on my skin... it's cleared up a lot now since I cut out gluten, but I suspect dairy might still be causing me some issues too. Too bad I love dairy too much to ever give it up willingly

I wish I would have known that when I was a kid, I had a plantar wart on my foot that I went through CRAZY painful podiatrist visits to get rid of... we're talking they essentially would freeze it a little, then use acid to burn some of it off, then dig out the part of it that they "killed" (which yeah, that didn't kill any of the FEELING in it ) and they'd bandage me up so I could hobble out of the office, heal for a week or two, then come back for more until it was gone. This went on for months! ACV sounds like a MUCH more pleasant treatment, LOL!

I did test it out by the way, and it didn't sting at all. So now I smell like a bottle of Bragg's... but it sure feels better than aloe!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #1682
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weigh-in this morning... 193.2
Woohoo! Seems like less bouncing around lately! Maybe those lettuce wraps are working some magic
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #1683
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
How long of a stretch have you all gone before seeing a definite drop in the scales? I feel like I've been bouncing around between 193 and 189 for the last 5 weeks without seeing anything lasting on the scale. My eating and exercise are stable. Every time I have consistent losses, and get down to my low of 6 weeks ago, I bounce right back up again.

I tried a modified fat fast this past weekend (with a little higher calories and protein since I worked out) and I did get very close to my all time low, but now I'm back up 2lbs (water I'm sure, but dang)!

So am I just being impatient? Should I keep on with setting my fat at 80%? The one great thing is I feel and look a lot leaner and I know my strength has increased with my workouts.

So others, how long have you stalled out on the scales before seeing the downward trend again?
Well, I got stuck at 205 for months and months. I got down to that using a very informal high fat (really high fat like always 85 to 90 percent) approach. My protein was fairly high too but I was eating a lot of fatty protein. I was generally eating around 2500 calories a day I think. After weeks stalled I quit the super high fat thing and just went back to an informal LC woe and quit logging food. I back slid back (back around July '12) to 216 and discovered NK which finally, OMG finally, got me past 205 and then past 200 and all the way down to 186.

I'd say, though, that you are being misled by the scale. You *know* that whatever the scale says you feel the differences in your workouts and you can see that you look leaner.

Perhaps you are working out too much? Or too much exercise that does not directly build muscle mass?

What calorie level do you usually eat at?

Remember, exercise is for fitness not weight loss. So think through what you really want to achieve. People with normal metabolisms can usually successfully combine the two but the metabolically deranged usually cannot. For us the two are on a balance scale where adding to one depresses the other, e.g. more exercise less weight loss and less exercise more weight loss.

Last edited by reddarin; 04-23-2013 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: July 2012 not '11
Old 04-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #1684
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Anyone else use the USDA website for figuring out nutritional content? I was trying to figure out how to log my chicken hearts when I eventually cook them up (YUM!) but that website just words things funny and I got kind of confused

Here's the page I'm talking about: Show Foods

Now... I'm guessing "energy" is just calories in this case? And "carbohydrates, by difference" is just their weird way of saying carbs and the "by difference" doesn't mean much to us?

If that's the case, and the site is actually correct, it seems like there isn't much in the way of carbs in organ meat like I'd originally thought... still less than 1g in 3oz I believe. Yay!
I don't. The information is probably excellent but the way they present it is a serious PITA.

I use that nutritiondata self (not sure if linking it is okay). If you google 'food item nutrition information' usually one of the top links will be to nutritiondata. Usually it is pretty straight forward although a time or two I've had a hard time figuring out how they listed what I'm looking for.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #1685
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Hmm...down a lb this morning. Looking at my numbers, I was a bit high on protein, low on fat and perfect on carbs. Which is kinda where I was last week when I was losing. But I also know that I drank a bit too much wine this weekend and not enough water so this will need further research.

But I am where I was on Sat morning so I'll take it!

Hooray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post
136 at the doctor's office this morning.

And it was a good visit Luckily this morning, my weight was the same as last month's doc visit (even with the gain of almost 2.5 lbs of muscle). We discussed my labs and the doc was happy with all of the numbers--told me not to change anything but keep doing what I'm doing. I joked with him that eating a dozen eggs a day must be good for cholesterol--I'm glad he has a good sense of humor
Glad you have a great Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Thanks for all the info on total vs. net carbs, Darin!
I've never bought into the idea of "net" carbs except for deducting the naturally-occurring fiber in vegetables. Deducting magic "protected" or "injected" fiber so that we could eat factory-created frankenfood makes no sense to me.

Just counting total carbs makes counting easier, anyhow.

Yesterday's weigh-in: 174.5
Today's: 173

At this rate I'm going to exceed my goal for June 1st (being in the 160's) which I thought was a long-shot a few months ago!

Way to go!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #1686
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
They checked TSH and T4. They said its normal. I do have a physical with my regular dr in May so hopefully she'll check everything. My TOM has still been weird so something is probably off. This is after always have normal periods. The nurse at my gyn office wants to run a FSH level that checks estrogen level? I think? And something about tumor on pituitary gland? Sounds scary? My energy is slowly getting better so that's a good sign.
I think I've lost all my muscle tone im pretty flabby now. I am scared to start exercising again. Isn't that weird. But it seems like that's kinda when everything went downhill last year. Or it could have been the calorie restriction on JUDDD or something going on in my body unrelated to diet and exercise.

Sorry-more info than you were asking for!

I'm a great maintainer it seems I'll add a little more fat and see what happens.
Thanks again for all your help. And everyone's encouragement
If your hormonal system is out of whack it will directly affect your weight loss potential. I always think that tweaks should be done in a very controlled fashion, focusing on one facet at a time so that results can clearly be attributed to the thing of interest that you changed. But even more so in a case like yours with some very important pieces of the metabolic system in question. So stay strong, tweak carefully and lets see what the little bit of extra fat might do
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #1687
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
That is awesome, Cheryl! What is your goal?
I am thinking 130. I am awful short so I don't know. I have never been under 140.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #1688
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weigh-in this morning... 193.2

Woo hoo Darin! You gonna be in the 180's soon!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #1689
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Way ahead of you Melanie. I've already designed an add-on suit of solar panels to power the heating pads. Also, a shoulder harness supported wind turbine for cloudy days is on the way as soon as we can figure out a way to balance the 500 pound turbine allowing the end user to walk around and we need to address the issue of a nose guard to protect against the blades whipping around at a high speed in front of the user's face. We've already filed a petition to have cities trim trees branches that are lower than 30 feet although we've had some push back because most trees would have no branches left but that is just a minor detail.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #1690
Major LCF Poster!

Rachael,

Welcome back, glad your feeling better.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #1691
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Do you'll weigh meat like ground beef, sausage before or after you cook it? Does it even change?
Have any of you made your own mayo?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #1692
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't. The information is probably excellent but the way they present it is a serious PITA.

I use that nutritiondata self (not sure if linking it is okay). If you google 'food item nutrition information' usually one of the top links will be to nutritiondata. Usually it is pretty straight forward although a time or two I've had a hard time figuring out how they listed what I'm looking for.
Aha! I've used that site before too, but with so many of them out there I always wonder which ones are accurate... good to know that one's pretty solid I figured the USDA one would probably be REALLY accurate, but the whole "by difference" thing just confuses me. Although I don't see any fiber in the hearts obviously so I'm guessing for some reason that's just how they say carb
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #1693
Blabbermouth!!!

I always weight after cooking if it is possible. Things that are cooked with raw meat as an ingredient are tricky.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #1694
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Do you'll weigh meat like ground beef, sausage before or after you cook it? Does it even change?
Have any of you made your own mayo?
Definitely weigh it BEFORE you cook it! It definitely does change... it shrinks down a bit once it's cooked, and the nutritional information (unless otherwise stated somewhere) is for the uncooked quantity. Assuming you don't drain the fat off afterward (why would you on NK? ) it should still have the same nutritional profile, just at a lower weight I believe
Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #1695
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Aha! I've used that site before too, but with so many of them out there I always wonder which ones are accurate... good to know that one's pretty solid I figured the USDA one would probably be REALLY accurate, but the whole "by difference" thing just confuses me. Although I don't see any fiber in the hearts obviously so I'm guessing for some reason that's just how they say carb
Actually, I don't know that nutritiondata is accurate but I figure it is close enough either way. We (LC'rs) get into a lot of very fine detail about calories and all but the fact is that the 'detail' part is really pretty fuzzy. I don't let that stop me from calculating calories and protein to the nth degree though lol.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #1696
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Definitely weigh it BEFORE you cook it! It definitely does change... it shrinks down a bit once it's cooked, and the nutritional information (unless otherwise stated somewhere) is for the uncooked quantity. Assuming you don't drain the fat off afterward (why would you on NK? ) it should still have the same nutritional profile, just at a lower weight I believe
True. My food logger usually has a listing for the food as raw or cooked.

I always choose the 'baked or broiled' option because I have no idea what the food logger thinks I'm doing with the fat or what fat I am cooking with.

Veggies, on the other hand, I always log as raw. I know how I am preparing them so I want the straight raw version logged.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #1697
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi yall, just checking in. Congrats to all on your losses. Got some muscle relaxers from my dentist for my jaw, but taking 2 left me drowsy the whole next day.. like I downed a bottle of Benadryl the night before. No good.

Bombed an accounting test today, sheesh. Very stressed out about school lately. You know you need a break when your sole objective in school at this point is to not fail as badly as everyone else...

Am catching up on the thread now
Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #1698
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
lol right too good to be true but I didn't know it at all!!! I assumed they were acceptable and I know some people on some of the other forums at LCF eat them.

I bet them quest bars are the same way even if they don't list magically protected carbs.

Casey did you test your BG when you ate that half dozen that day?
Hey, no I didn't but I KNOW my blood sugar must've been on a rollercoaster for 2 reasons:

1) after 30 minutes, I was craving a bowl of cereal, which I rarely ever ate even when I wasn't LCing

2) an hour after, I was really tired and needed a nap

I guess my body doesn't differentiate. Damn those bars are good though. I can see myself eating one when I get a crazy sweets craving though. The chocolate chip cooking dough bar tastes literally, just like cookie dough.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #1699
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi yall, just checking in. Congrats to all on your losses. Got some muscle relaxers from my dentist for my jaw, but taking 2 left me drowsy the whole next day.. like I downed a bottle of Benadryl the night before. No good.

Bombed an accounting test today, sheesh. Very stressed out about school lately. You know you need a break when your sole objective in school at this point is to not fail as badly as everyone else...

Don't get stressed about it. That won't help anything. Find a frenemy and make catty remarks about the way she is dressed or something for enjoyable stress relief.

Quote:
Hey, no I didn't but I KNOW my blood sugar must've been on a rollercoaster for 2 reasons:

1) after 30 minutes, I was craving a bowl of cereal, which I rarely ever ate even when I wasn't LCing

2) an hour after, I was really tired and needed a nap

I guess my body doesn't differentiate. Damn those bars are good though. I can see myself eating one when I get a crazy sweets craving though. The chocolate chip cooking dough bar tastes literally, just like cookie dough.
We need a way to go back in time and get protein bars from the mid-90s. It was hard to overeat them because they tasted terrible.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #1700
Senior LCF Member

LOL, I know. Well, I ordered $75 worth of Quest bars to get me through the day when I'm on campus from 6A-8P from May 20-August 10 this summer.. so back to square one on that, since the bars were going to be my lunch.

I think the plan for right now is to just get REALLY fat adapted for the next 3 weeks and not even worry about eating at all while I'm away from home. Huge breakfast at 5:30A and dinner at 8P. Hopefully that will last me.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #1701
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #1702
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I second what Darin said, no sense in stressing yourself out even more if you can find a way to let some of it go... I've been under a ton of stress lately myself, but I find that sometimes it helps me to just get out and enjoy nature at the park or something. I don't know if you're the same way, but I thought I'd throw that out there since the weather's starting to get nicer finally

The way I see it, a lot of the things we stress out about in life are oftentimes things that we have very little (if any!) control over. So I try to handle them the best I can, and try not to let them get to me any more than they have to. I know that's got to be hard with the jaw pain thing going on though, and I hope that gets better for you somehow! It's a shame those muscle relaxers did that to you... is it possible to maybe take a half pill?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #1703
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Quote:

Perhaps you are working out too much? Or too much exercise that does not directly build muscle mass? I usually walk for 30 mins at 3.5mph 2x week. I do 2 - 55 min body conditioning classes (12lb dumbells) a week. That includes light warm up and cool down.

What calorie level do you usually eat at? I have been averaging 1600-1700 each week but every day is a little different. Based on the Katch McCardle my BMR is 1470, and I burn approx 1900/day

Remember, exercise is for fitness not weight loss. So think through what you really want to achieve. People with normal metabolisms can usually successfully combine the two but the metabolically deranged usually cannot. For us the two are on a balance scale where adding to one depresses the other, e.g. more exercise less weight loss and less exercise more weight loss.
I have had weeks when I haven't worked out, but I didn't lose either. I have a spread sheet if you want to take a peek.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #1704
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
True. My food logger usually has a listing for the food as raw or cooked.

I always choose the 'baked or broiled' option because I have no idea what the food logger thinks I'm doing with the fat or what fat I am cooking with.

Veggies, on the other hand, I always log as raw. I know how I am preparing them so I want the straight raw version logged.
I think you're better off choosing raw, that is what I do, because the logger adds fat in the 'cooked' options.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #1705
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:

I second what Darin said, no sense in stressing yourself out even more if you can find a way to let some of it go... I've been under a ton of stress lately myself, but I find that sometimes it helps me to just get out and enjoy nature at the park or something. I don't know if you're the same way, but I thought I'd throw that out there since the weather's starting to get nicer finally

The way I see it, a lot of the things we stress out about in life are oftentimes things that we have very little (if any!) control over. So I try to handle them the best I can, and try not to let them get to me any more than they have to. I know that's got to be hard with the jaw pain thing going on though, and I hope that gets better for you somehow! It's a shame those muscle relaxers did that to you... is it possible to maybe take a half pill?
Thank yall for the encouragement.. its like a neverending circle of despair with the jaw pain. It starts because I'm stressed, then the jaw pain stresses me out, etc. etc.

Just gonna hope for the best! And I just tried a single muscle relaxer instead of 2 at once. Its got the same kind of effect Xanax has on me, so I'm mellowed out ATM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #1706
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
I wanted to share (but prob not new to some) a list I found online called The Ultimate List of Ketogenic Foods. If you google that title with the author's name Joseph Arcita it will pull up - he also has a guide to ketosis that I used when I first got started. There is another site I found from Jack Donovan and it's titled Lean Out: The Ketogenic Diet and there is a section in there that outlines how to get into ketosis.

Anyway, really liked the list. Having sunflower seeds for an unplanned snack right now and really seemed like it fit my WOE and found on his list so that made me happy

Oh! Also listened to JM 674: Guest Hosts Jason Seib And Sarah Fragoso From Everyday Paleo Lifestyle And Fitness and it was AWESOME! I looooove listening to these things at work!

Last edited by robbelkk; 04-23-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #1707
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
I wanted to share (but prob not new to some) a list I found online called The Ultimate List of Ketogenic Foods. If you google that title with the author's name Joseph Arcita it will pull up - he also has a guide to ketosis that I used when I first got started. There is another site I found from Jack Donovan and it's titled Lean Out: The Ketogenic Diet and there is a section in there that outlines how to get into ketosis.

Anyway, really liked the list. Having sunflower seeds for an unplanned snack right now and really seemed like it fit my WOE and found on his list so that made me happy

Oh! Also listened to JM 674: Guest Hosts Jason Seib And Sarah Fragoso From Everyday Paleo Lifestyle And Fitness and it was AWESOME! I looooove listening to these things at work!
I'm checking out his Guide and it's got a lot of great information in it, especially that food list... thank you! Almost all of it was something I already knew regarding the foods but sometimes it's just good to have a visual for when you space out and can't remember if something's suitable or not. Especially for foods you don't eat often that popped up on the list, but you may occasionally want to indulge in. And especially for people like me because I space out on more than one occasion daily

The useful links section toward the bottom looks promising too
Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #1708
Major LCF Poster!

For anyone who was interested at all in my new hawthorn supplement and how that's working... it's obviously too soon to notice a measurable difference in BP I'm assuming (and my meter doesn't come in until tomorrow anyway!) but so far I do notice a sense of relaxation when I take it, and I haven't had any nighttime headaches since starting it a few days ago. It hasn't helped my sleep though unfortunately so I still have NO idea what's even up with that.

But starting tomorrow I should be able to start testing my BP to tell if the supplements are really working or not... here's to hoping!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #1709
Major LCF Poster!

My numbers for today

Calories 1669
Pro 54g. 13%
Carb 11g. 2%
Fat 159g.85%

BPC
More coffee w/HWC
Ground sausage w/cream cheese, sour cream, HWC
Fat bomb
Diet soda float
Old 04-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #1710
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
in risk of drawing verbal fire, I think GF is hilarious! I watch his show all the time because I love the outrageousness!
Right on!!!! I like Guy because he is outrageous~~~
Closed Thread