Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #1651
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Hmmm...still up a lb this morning.

May

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #1652
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Weigh-in this morning had me down ANOTHER .5 pounds to 153.5

I... don't know what to make of it, honestly I got a really awful night's sleep (worse than the past four days even) probably because I had to deal with more roommate stress, since I'M now in charge of waking up early and driving him to work or to a bus stop to GET to work. So that's me, chronically ill and not regulated yet, under crazy amounts of stress anyway, falling asleep at midnight if I'm lucky... probably waking up at 3-4am for who knows what reason lately (I'm guessing stress?), and then having to be out the door before 6am for that anyway. Sometimes I wish I could just be done with him already, but oh well. That's life Monday-Friday for me now. And I have to go get him later on too when I should be eating my dinner

When I woke up (or I guess GOT up since I'd been up since 3-something) at 5:45am I weighed myself, and was still 154 like yesterday. But I figured that wasn't my normal time of weighing and I probably shouldn't have done it then anyway, so I'd check at normal time to be sure. Came home, laid back down til normal time (9:30-ish) and checked again... 153.5
Yay!
I do hope you can get some rest though!! Stress can play a huge part in that respect!
May
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #1653
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
Hi all,

Finally got over strep and major virus. I was down for 5 days which hasn't happened in years.

Tracked and cooked lots of good things yesterday.

Here is my numbers and planning on getting back in the groove.

calories 1589

fat 127
carb 23
protein 91

71/22/5%

Protein seems a little high but just glad to be back to normal eating and a set plan.

Looks like several of you are on that downward spiral! Way to stay committed! It looks like it really is paying off.
Glad to have you up and about.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #1654
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Coconut oil worked wonders on my skin problems. I'd give it a try!
I already do use it on a fairly regular basis as a moisturizer, so I probably will! You're probably right about that one... and it definitely can't hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Actually, straight ACV applied with a cotton ball will do the trick Melanie. We discovered that when I was a kid. As a red head I can't tell you how many times I was fried to a crisp. One time was really bad even for me so Mom got the ACV tip from a relative. Wow!!! It instantly took the burn out. It was a long time ago but I remember that clear as a bell. I was sitting on the porch and she used a cotton ball and some stinky ACV and swabbed me down - arms, shoulders and face too.

Now see, THAT I thought would hurt since there's always all this talk about it burning you if you have direct contact with it and stuff Maybe that was what I was reading though and I'm not crazy after all! You just wouldn't think vinegar on a burn would feel pleasant but then again I think I've seen people using rubbing alcohol before too which doesn't sound pleasant either... and I definitely trust your judgment, so I think I'll try it!

I didn't know you had red hair by the way I'm not a red head but I just burn really bad for some reason... especially around the start of the season before I get a base tan going! This was a result of 4.5 hours of direct sunlight yesterday though, so I guess I was asking for it. I just thought I wouldn't burn in the spring stupidly I guess I just must be pale or something? Although I never seemed to burn quite as easily when I was a kid, strangely enough. A couple years back I went to Cedar Point for two weeks with my SO and even though they were CONSTANTLY putting sunscreen on me, I still burnt to a crisp. They were unscathed Then again they never burn EVER, because they have darker skin.

Sometimes I wish I could just wear a complete UV protected suit and just be done with it, because I love being outdoors... it just doesn't love me!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #1655
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Weigh in 130
Back on the 9th you said you should know about your thyroid within a few days but I didn't see where you'd posted if it came back normal?

You are super steady at 130 so far. Maybe that is the right weight for you. Do you still have a lot of muscle tone from the P90x you did last year?

Try keeping everything the same but add 100 calories of pure fat. Maybe you are eating just little enough total energy that your body doesn't want to let go of what BF it is holding on to.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #1656
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
Yay!
I do hope you can get some rest though!! Stress can play a huge part in that respect!
May
Awww thank you May I hope so too, believe me... last night was even WORSE for sleeping though but I guess I was 153.5 yesterday then? I'm kind of glad you quoted me, because I thought I was 153 before the water weight from the sunburn. In that case, I guess I lost another half pound today!

Stress is just such a HUGE factor in my life that it's hard to imagine my life without it... but I would LOVE to have a life without it! :laughs: Lately I just try to make the best of whatever situation I'm thrown into and try not to let it affect me any more than it has to. It's really hard for me to accept that I just can't change things sometimes, but I'm working on it and I find that I have a little bit more peace now because of it
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #1657
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info on total vs. net carbs, Darin!
I've never bought into the idea of "net" carbs except for deducting the naturally-occurring fiber in vegetables. Deducting magic "protected" or "injected" fiber so that we could eat factory-created frankenfood makes no sense to me.

Just counting total carbs makes counting easier, anyhow.

Yesterday's weigh-in: 174.5
Today's: 173

At this rate I'm going to exceed my goal for June 1st (being in the 160's) which I thought was a long-shot a few months ago!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #1658
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
How long of a stretch have you all gone before seeing a definite drop in the scales? I feel like I've been bouncing around between 193 and 189 for the last 5 weeks without seeing anything lasting on the scale. My eating and exercise are stable. Every time I have consistent losses, and get down to my low of 6 weeks ago, I bounce right back up again.

I tried a modified fat fast this past weekend (with a little higher calories and protein since I worked out) and I did get very close to my all time low, but now I'm back up 2lbs (water I'm sure, but dang)!

So am I just being impatient? Should I keep on with setting my fat at 80%? The one great thing is I feel and look a lot leaner and I know my strength has increased with my workouts.

So others, how long have you stalled out on the scales before seeing the downward trend again?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #1659
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ayup. *My* heating pad idea would have prevented this. No one ever got a sunburn from a heating pad and I calculate that you'd trip over the extension cord, causing it to be unplugged for several minutes, an average of twice an hour, further reducing any possible thermal complications.

But! you say, reddarin isn't your idea, genius that it is, patented? In a just world that would be the case. But in the real world, patent clerks feel at leisure to send shockingly blunt emails to potential patent holders casting aspersions on intellectual prowess and threatening restraining orders with further contact.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #1660
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Weigh-in this morning... 193.3
Wonderful!
May
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #1661
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
How long of a stretch have you all gone before seeing a definite drop in the scales? I feel like I've been bouncing around between 193 and 189 for the last 5 weeks without seeing anything lasting on the scale. My eating and exercise are stable. Every time I have consistent losses, and get down to my low of 6 weeks ago, I bounce right back up again.

I tried a modified fat fast this past weekend (with a little higher calories and protein since I worked out) and I did get very close to my all time low, but now I'm back up 2lbs (water I'm sure, but dang)!

So am I just being impatient? Should I keep on with setting my fat at 80%? The one great thing is I feel and look a lot leaner and I know my strength has increased with my workouts.

So others, how long have you stalled out on the scales before seeing the downward trend again?
Amanda, I have bumped around a couple of lbs for a while. Up and down she goes. Right now I'm sitting a 235, but who knows.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #1662
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Weigh in this morning 153.6
That is awesome, Cheryl! What is your goal?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #1663
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
How long of a stretch have you all gone before seeing a definite drop in the scales?
On plain old "out of the box" Atkins, I once went four months without a drop on the scale. (Which is why I roll my eyes HARD when people post "OMG I'm stalled"... when they haven't lost any weight this WEEK.)

Switching to JUDDD started my weight loss again. So did a few days of fat-fasting. Sometimes, our bodies just need us to change things up.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #1664
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 160/157/140 5'5"
Start Date: 4/16/13
Quote:
Ayup. *My* heating pad idea would have prevented this. No one ever got a sunburn from a heating pad and I calculate that you'd trip over the extension cord, causing it to be unplugged for several minutes, an average of twice an hour, further reducing any possible thermal complications.

But! you say, reddarin isn't your idea, genius that it is, patented? In a just world that would be the case. But in the real world, patent clerks feel at leisure to send shockingly blunt emails to potential patent holders casting aspersions on intellectual prowess and threatening restraining orders with further contact.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #1665
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
You are very informative! It def seems clear, using the info you are reciting, that they truly did mean total carbs. I will have to go back and review the Performance book to see what that says. It def seems odd that they are using total carbs in one book and net carbs in another but you are prolly right about it being less restrictive.

No, I don't mean to say that the Performance book uses net carbs. I was curious if they'd actually said the words 'net' and 'carb' together and admonished against it.

The thing about the Living book is that it was written for the health/nutrition industry (and high information LC'rs). 'Net carbs' is an invention of Atkins (afaik) and while it is well known in the LC community I don't believe it is known at all to the uninitiated or the uninformed health/nutrition professional. So if they specifically said 'not net carbs' they'd have to spend a lot of time describing what net carbs are, why they are used and then go into a lot of detail on why total carbs are the salient issue and spend time differentiating between the two. It would completely change the character of the book. It'd go from a primer on NK to a treatise on net carbs vs. total carbs.

Considering the fact that the two of them just wrote a book that orbits around the sun of net carbs that'd be a thorny issue.

So, by always referring to either the plain word 'carbohydrate', which *must* mean what it says - that is not a 'net carbohydrate', or 'total carbohydrates' - which of course is unambiguous, they eloquently avoid the conflict and keep the focus on nutritional ketosis.

I'd have to look it up but in one of the Phinney interviews with JM, he said that (paraphrased) the carb ladder was foolish for a metabolically deranged individual. It was a very bald rebuke of a seminal feature of the Atkins approach.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #1666
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post
136 at the doctor's office this morning.

And it was a good visit Luckily this morning, my weight was the same as last month's doc visit (even with the gain of almost 2.5 lbs of muscle). We discussed my labs and the doc was happy with all of the numbers--told me not to change anything but keep doing what I'm doing. I joked with him that eating a dozen eggs a day must be good for cholesterol--I'm glad he has a good sense of humor
That is good!

But don't stop practicing the Bruce Lee thing because you never know when that might come in handy. Someone cuts you off and gets the good parking spot at the store, one of the Mary Kay ladies from the '70s is driving forty miles an hour on the freeway in the fast lane in a pink Cadillac, a smarmy patent clerk deserves it, etc. etc.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #1667
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone else use the USDA website for figuring out nutritional content? I was trying to figure out how to log my chicken hearts when I eventually cook them up (YUM!) but that website just words things funny and I got kind of confused

Here's the page I'm talking about: Show Foods

Now... I'm guessing "energy" is just calories in this case? And "carbohydrates, by difference" is just their weird way of saying carbs and the "by difference" doesn't mean much to us?

If that's the case, and the site is actually correct, it seems like there isn't much in the way of carbs in organ meat like I'd originally thought... still less than 1g in 3oz I believe. Yay!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #1668
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hmm...down a lb this morning. Looking at my numbers, I was a bit high on protein, low on fat and perfect on carbs. Which is kinda where I was last week when I was losing. But I also know that I drank a bit too much wine this weekend and not enough water so this will need further research.

But I am where I was on Sat morning so I'll take it!
Hooray!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #1669
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 160/157/140 5'5"
Start Date: 4/16/13
Quote:

No, I don't mean to say that the Performance book uses net carbs. I was curious if they'd actually said the words 'net' and 'carb' together and admonished against it.

The thing about the Living book is that it was written for the health/nutrition industry (and high information LC'rs). 'Net carbs' is an invention of Atkins (afaik) and while it is well known in the LC community I don't believe it is known at all to the uninitiated or the uninformed health/nutrition professional. So if they specifically said 'not net carbs' they'd have to spend a lot of time describing what net carbs are, why they are used and then go into a lot of detail on why total carbs are the salient issue and spend time differentiating between the two. It would completely change the character of the book. It'd go from a primer on NK to a treatise on net carbs vs. total carbs.

Considering the fact that the two of them just wrote a book that orbits around the sun of net carbs that'd be a thorny issue.

So, by always referring to either the plain word 'carbohydrate', which *must* mean what it says - that is not a 'net carbohydrate', or 'total carbohydrates' - which of course is unambiguous, they eloquently avoid the conflict and keep the focus on nutritional ketosis.

I'd have to look it up but in one of the Phinney interviews with JM, he said that (paraphrased) the carb ladder was foolish for a metabolically deranged individual. It was a very bald rebuke of a seminal feature of the Atkins approach.
I just checked the Performance book and a search turned up no reference to net carbs...It seems like a question that must have come up before. I'm surprised that it hasn't been addressed in any of the podcasts. (I did do a search to see if it had been) For the time being, I am following your advice and counting total carbs.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #1670
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
Hi all,

Finally got over strep and major virus. I was down for 5 days which hasn't happened in years.

Tracked and cooked lots of good things yesterday.

Here is my numbers and planning on getting back in the groove.

calories 1589

fat 127
carb 23
protein 91

71/22/5%

Protein seems a little high but just glad to be back to normal eating and a set plan.

Looks like several of you are on that downward spiral! Way to stay committed! It looks like it really is paying off.
Welcome back and glad you are feeling better!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #1671
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Apr 23, 2013

Weigh-in this morning... 193.2
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1672
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for all the info on total vs. net carbs, Darin!
I've never bought into the idea of "net" carbs except for deducting the naturally-occurring fiber in vegetables. Deducting magic "protected" or "injected" fiber so that we could eat factory-created frankenfood makes no sense to me.

Just counting total carbs makes counting easier, anyhow.

Yesterday's weigh-in: 174.5
Today's: 173

At this rate I'm going to exceed my goal for June 1st (being in the 160's) which I thought was a long-shot a few months ago!

Hooray!!! Great loss!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #1673
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
you are rockin! Woohoo!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #1674
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
lol /bonk

I used to watch Diners Drive-ins and Dives. I really liked the show. It was funny sometimes because the guy/gal in the kitchen obviously didn't like Guy heh.
in risk of drawing verbal fire, I think GF is hilarious! I watch his show all the time because I love the outrageousness!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #1675
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

If only I could enjoy the sights and sounds of the park while strapped into reddarin's genius heating pad device too! I suppose if I strapped enough of them to my body, I'd probably be completely protected from the sun and able to wander around as I pleased... if only we could come up with a way to make them battery powered
Way ahead of you Melanie. I've already designed an add-on suit of solar panels to power the heating pads. Also, a shoulder harness supported wind turbine for cloudy days is on the way as soon as we can figure out a way to balance the 500 pound turbine allowing the end user to walk around and we need to address the issue of a nose guard to protect against the blades whipping around at a high speed in front of the user's face. We've already filed a petition to have cities trim trees branches that are lower than 30 feet although we've had some push back because most trees would have no branches left but that is just a minor detail.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #1676
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Damn! Rock on, dude!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #1677
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Back on the 9th you said you should know about your thyroid within a few days but I didn't see where you'd posted if it came back normal?

You are super steady at 130 so far. Maybe that is the right weight for you. Do you still have a lot of muscle tone from the P90x you did last year?

Try keeping everything the same but add 100 calories of pure fat. Maybe you are eating just little enough total energy that your body doesn't want to let go of what BF it is holding on to.
They checked TSH and T4. They said its normal. I do have a physical with my regular dr in May so hopefully she'll check everything. My TOM has still been weird so something is probably off. This is after always have normal periods. The nurse at my gyn office wants to run a FSH level that checks estrogen level? I think? And something about tumor on pituitary gland? Sounds scary? My energy is slowly getting better so that's a good sign.
I think I've lost all my muscle tone im pretty flabby now. I am scared to start exercising again. Isn't that weird. But it seems like that's kinda when everything went downhill last year. Or it could have been the calorie restriction on JUDDD or something going on in my body unrelated to diet and exercise.

Sorry-more info than you were asking for!

I'm a great maintainer it seems I'll add a little more fat and see what happens.
Thanks again for all your help. And everyone's encouragement
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #1678
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Now see, THAT I thought would hurt since there's always all this talk about it burning you if you have direct contact with it and stuff Maybe that was what I was reading though and I'm not crazy after all! You just wouldn't think vinegar on a burn would feel pleasant but then again I think I've seen people using rubbing alcohol before too which doesn't sound pleasant either... and I definitely trust your judgment, so I think I'll try it!

I didn't know you had red hair by the way I'm not a red head but I just burn really bad for some reason... especially around the start of the season before I get a base tan going! This was a result of 4.5 hours of direct sunlight yesterday though, so I guess I was asking for it. I just thought I wouldn't burn in the spring stupidly I guess I just must be pale or something? Although I never seemed to burn quite as easily when I was a kid, strangely enough. A couple years back I went to Cedar Point for two weeks with my SO and even though they were CONSTANTLY putting sunscreen on me, I still burnt to a crisp. They were unscathed Then again they never burn EVER, because they have darker skin.

Sometimes I wish I could just wear a complete UV protected suit and just be done with it, because I love being outdoors... it just doesn't love me!
Test it on a small area of skin just to be careful. I have no idea what kind of ACV we used back then. It could have been a milder version of what is available today.

I use q-tips for applying organic ACV to myself all the time. I drink a ton of diet soda so I get acne occasionally and as soon as I see it I daub it with straight ACV. That usually gets rid of it within a day or so. Also, gross as it is, when I lost a lot of weight I started getting warts. I bet I got a dozen or so over several months time. The first one was on my temple. I knew that the commercial stuff's instructions said specifically not to apply it to your face so I googled around for a homeopathic cure. ACV was a popular cure so I tried it and it worked like a charm. I just daubed it on straight with a q-tip.

If the skin is broken, or maybe abraded, it will sting a little but that goes away quickly. A time or two it stung like heck.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #1679
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
but I guess I was 153.5 yesterday then? I'm kind of glad you quoted me, because I thought I was 153 before the water weight from the sunburn. In that case, I guess I lost another half pound today!
Hooray!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #1680
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Way ahead of you Melanie. I've already designed an add-on suit of solar panels to power the heating pads. Also, a shoulder harness supported wind turbine for cloudy days is on the way as soon as we can figure out a way to balance the 500 pound turbine allowing the end user to walk around and we need to address the issue of a nose guard to protect against the blades whipping around at a high speed in front of the user's face. We've already filed a petition to have cities trim trees branches that are lower than 30 feet although we've had some push back because most trees would have no branches left but that is just a minor detail.
GET THIS MAN FUNDING, STAT!

You know, you may be able to get rid of hair and beard trimmers entirely with a product like that if you tweak it just right
Closed Thread