Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #1621
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Todays menu

B coffee w/hwc and 1 T co 1/2 portion of ham, squash casserole
L 2 eggs, 4 oz ham
D 6 oz ham , salad w/3 T blue cheese dressing
S celery w/ 3 oz cream cheese 2 sf coke w/hwc

Totals:

1665 cal
141 fat
12 carb
72 protein
Editing amounts had pork skins and cheese instead of celery w/cheese
Totals 1682 141 f, 6.1 carb, 77.5 proteins

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #1622
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
weight April 23rd

Weigh in this morning 153.6
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #1623
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 AM   #1624
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Well, it's not my official weigh-in time yet so I may fluctuate a half pound or so by then... but so far after a day out at the park yesterday, I'm quickly learning that sunburn makes me retain water on top of being really painful
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #1625
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Well, it's not my official weigh-in time yet so I may fluctuate a half pound or so by then... but so far after a day out at the park yesterday, I'm quickly learning that sunburn makes me retain water on top of being really painful
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #1626
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh in 130
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 AM   #1627
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Weigh in 130
Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #1628
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hope you get to feeling better. Ibuprofen always helps me when I have a sunburn.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #1629
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I agree it is about the mysterious 'protected carbs' but I thought it was very interesting because there is a huge amount of 'a net carb is a net carb' type thinking, I think.

I never did really read through the recipe section. Most of it is stuff that I'd never make either because I am lazy or, if someone else made it for me, I am still a picky eater 45 years later. I tried to recreate the yogurt cucumber recipe with my food logger and I got 7.78 total carbs per serving with each being 1/6th the total. Why, oh why, didn't they use weights instead of cups and '6 medium or 4 large' type stuff. I'd guess they were shooting for accessibility rather than exactness. But they had to have had the weights to arrive at the exact carbs and fat grams. Pretty annoying.

Actually, the book is very clear about total carbs. This one passage says it succinctly:

From page 4:
Defining 'Nutritional Ketosis'

The second way to define 'low carbohydrate' is physiologic - specifically that level below which there is a fundamental shift in your body's fuel homeostasis (i.e., energy regulation) away from glucose as a primary fuel. This shift is the adaptation of the body's hormonal set and inter-organ fuel exchange to allow most of your daily energy needs to be met by fat, either directly as fatty acids or indirectly by ketone bodies made from fat. This process, which is discussed more fully in Chapter 7, begins for most adults when total carbohydrate is restricted to less than 60 grams per day along with a moderate intake of protein.
...and further on they touch on fuel homeostasis again:

Page 117:
"An important point that we touch on a number of times in this book is that when a person switches from a high carb diet to one low enough in carbohydrates that the body starts making ketones (usually at or under 50 grams per day of total carbs), the body's economy of essential fatty acids changes dramatically. ..."
That is a powerful passage right there. Total carbs, not net, are responsible for this shift in fuel homeostasis.

Here are more examples.

On page 68:
"However, there appears to be a flaw in human design because liver ketone production does not kick in until daily carbohydrate intake is consistently at or under 50 grams (200 kcal)..."
...50 grams must be total carbs since they specify 200 kCal (50 times 4).

Page 207:
"...and 25 grams of carbs (100 kCal) ..."
Page 231:
"Postscript: Seven Days of Low Carb Living

Here are seven days of menus one might follow on a maintenance diet providing less than 50 grams per day of total carbohydrates."
Page 239:
"...Some people with metabolic syndrome can tolerate up to 100 grams per day of total carbs, whereas other find they need to stay under 40 to avoid the return of unhealthy blood lipds or weight regain.
I searched my kindle version for the words "net carb" and got zero results.

Really, I think the confusion comes from the fact that both of these doctors had just co-authored (with Westman) the latest Atkins book which is identified with net carbs. And the fact that using net carbs is a whole lot less restrictive than total carbs - sort of a have your coconut flour cake and eat it too type thing.

I wonder if it was addressed any differently in the Performance book?
You are very informative! It def seems clear, using the info you are reciting, that they truly did mean total carbs. I will have to go back and review the Performance book to see what that says. It def seems odd that they are using total carbs in one book and net carbs in another but you are prolly right about it being less restrictive.

I have been using total carbs simply because you folks are using them and it is obviously working for you.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #1630
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Weigh in 130
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #1631
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
136 at the doctor's office this morning.

And it was a good visit Luckily this morning, my weight was the same as last month's doc visit (even with the gain of almost 2.5 lbs of muscle). We discussed my labs and the doc was happy with all of the numbers--told me not to change anything but keep doing what I'm doing. I joked with him that eating a dozen eggs a day must be good for cholesterol--I'm glad he has a good sense of humor
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #1632
Senior LCF Member

Hmm...down a lb this morning. Looking at my numbers, I was a bit high on protein, low on fat and perfect on carbs. Which is kinda where I was last week when I was losing. But I also know that I drank a bit too much wine this weekend and not enough water so this will need further research.

But I am where I was on Sat morning so I'll take it!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #1633
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post

And it was a good visit Luckily this morning, my weight was the same as last month's doc visit (even with the gain of almost 2.5 lbs of muscle). We discussed my labs and the doc was happy with all of the numbers--told me not to change anything but keep doing what I'm doing. I joked with him that eating a dozen eggs a day must be good for cholesterol--I'm glad he has a good sense of humor
Haha! DH looked at me like I had two heads when he saw two dozen eggs in the fridge and asked if I was expecting company!

Glad you had a good check up!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #1634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
Hi all,

Finally got over strep and major virus. I was down for 5 days which hasn't happened in years.

Tracked and cooked lots of good things yesterday.

Here is my numbers and planning on getting back in the groove.

calories 1589

fat 127
carb 23
protein 91

71/22/5%

Protein seems a little high but just glad to be back to normal eating and a set plan.

Looks like several of you are on that downward spiral! Way to stay committed! It looks like it really is paying off.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #1635
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Food Log: April 23

Yesterdays numbers ended up being 1616 cals, 134F, 81P, 19C because I added snacks of 1 egg yolk & 1.5T of coconut butter in the evening - OMG!

Today looks like:

1306 cals
106F
75P
11C

B: 1T CO, 2 eggs/1 yolk, 13gr butter
L: 6oz meatballs, 50gr spaghetti squash
S: 1oz chedder, 24gr radish, 17gr celery
D: 7oz checken leg, 20gr spaghetti squash, 55gr green beans, 12gr butter
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #1636
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Thanks for all the info on total vs. net carbs, Darin!
I've never bought into the idea of "net" carbs except for deducting the naturally-occurring fiber in vegetables. Deducting magic "protected" or "injected" fiber so that we could eat factory-created frankenfood makes no sense to me.

Just counting total carbs makes counting easier, anyhow.

Yesterday's weigh-in: 174.5
Today's: 173

At this rate I'm going to exceed my goal for June 1st (being in the 160's) which I thought was a long-shot a few months ago!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #1637
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Sounds like a great dr visit
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #1638
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Hmm...down a lb this morning. Looking at my numbers, I was a bit high on protein, low on fat and perfect on carbs. Which is kinda where I was last week when I was losing. But I also know that I drank a bit too much wine this weekend and not enough water so this will need further research.

But I am where I was on Sat morning so I'll take it!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #1639
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
I've never bought into the idea of "net" carbs except for deducting the naturally-occurring fiber in vegetables. Deducting magic "protected" or "injected" fiber so that we could eat factory-created frankenfood makes no sense to me.

At this rate I'm going to exceed my goal for June 1st (being in the 160's) which I thought was a long-shot a few months ago!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #1640
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #1641
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hope you get to feeling better. Ibuprofen always helps me when I have a sunburn.
Thank you! The pound of weight from this morning has disappeared (weird that this happens within a 3-4 hour window if I don't wake up at the right time ) but I still feel like I'm probably retaining some water. I'm actually surprised sunburns do that, but sure enough I googled it this morning and it's true... and a rather popular topic it seems, LOL. I guess any time the body's in pain and needs to do some repairs it can retain water.

Ibuprofen is pretty much useless for me unfortunately I'm trying not to take any medicines anyway because I know it can stall things too, but I'm one of those weird people who pain meds don't even work for... not even the prescription ones! I remember when I tore a muscle in my back years and years ago, my doctor prescribed me so many different things and not a single one worked. Finally he gave me Vicodin and a muscle relaxer and told me I could go up to triple my dosage of Vicodin and double the muscle relaxer... but if I did I should have someone around the apartment because I'd probably be in a medically induced coma practically and someone would have to make sure I was alright. Had my roommate take off work... it didn't even work, and I didn't sleep at all!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #1642
Major LCF Poster!

I know I did read SOMETHING recently about sunburn to where something I didn't know worked on it supposedly works... but of course with my forgetfulness and me not writing it down it's just gone I wonder if it was coconut oil on the skin? Pretty sure it wasn't ACV in a bath... I think that was for mosquito bites, LOL.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #1643
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Ayup. *My* heating pad idea would have prevented this. No one ever got a sunburn from a heating pad and I calculate that you'd trip over the extension cord, causing it to be unplugged for several minutes, an average of twice an hour, further reducing any possible thermal complications.

But! you say, reddarin isn't your idea, genius that it is, patented? In a just world that would be the case. But in the real world, patent clerks feel at leisure to send shockingly blunt emails to potential patent holders casting aspersions on intellectual prowess and threatening restraining orders with further contact.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #1644
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
I wonder if it was coconut oil on the skin?
Coconut oil worked wonders on my skin problems. I'd give it a try!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #1645
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I know I did read SOMETHING recently about sunburn to where something I didn't know worked on it supposedly works... but of course with my forgetfulness and me not writing it down it's just gone I wonder if it was coconut oil on the skin? Pretty sure it wasn't ACV in a bath... I think that was for mosquito bites, LOL.
Actually, straight ACV applied with a cotton ball will do the trick Melanie. We discovered that when I was a kid. As a red head I can't tell you how many times I was fried to a crisp. One time was really bad even for me so Mom got the ACV tip from a relative. Wow!!! It instantly took the burn out. It was a long time ago but I remember that clear as a bell. I was sitting on the porch and she used a cotton ball and some stinky ACV and swabbed me down - arms, shoulders and face too.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #1646
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hooray!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #1647
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
130-at least eating out yesterday didnt cause a gain
Great!!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #1648
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Awesome!

Quote:

Wonderful!

Started my morning with 3 large eggs (came to about 148g) fried in bacon fat (.25oz fat) and 2 tbsp EVCO. Ate at like 630a and will have more EVCO in a bit - prob w/ some HWC (.25 oz) and my pure stevia if I have it...otherwise just an EVCO shot. Trying to dodge the coffee today and see how it goes, so no caffeine for me and WAY less fake sugars in my life if I cut the coffee, although trying to just use the liquid stevia to avoid hidden carb counts in the other fake stuffs. Will have tuna for lunch later today yummmm. Feels good not to be hungry today or to feel like I care much about what I eat - if I end up eating just EVCO all day it's like eh, whatev. Been a few days since felt this way so

Have a GREAT NK day all!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #1649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
Another big bounce - 137 on the scale this morning

BUT...pretty good numbers to report. From Friday's labs, although my total cholesterol was up 4 points from labs run in December, all other numbers were much better:

Blood glucose - 78 (106 in Dec)
Triglycerides - 71 (113 in Dec)
HDL - 78 (55 in Dec)
VLDL - 14 (23 in Dec)
LDL - 115 (125 in Dec)

Also, I had the BodPod done this morning to measure body fat % and lean muscle mass. In the last month, I have lost 1% body fat and gained 2.4lbs of lean muscle.

So despite the nasty bounce (and I will have to do some quick talking at my doctor's appt tomorrow morning, if the weight persists), all in all I am making positive progress.
Wonderful lab results!!
May
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #1650
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Ayup. *My* heating pad idea would have prevented this. No one ever got a sunburn from a heating pad and I calculate that you'd trip over the extension cord, causing it to be unplugged for several minutes, an average of twice an hour, further reducing any possible thermal complications.

But! you say, reddarin isn't your idea, genius that it is, patented? In a just world that would be the case. But in the real world, patent clerks feel at leisure to send shockingly blunt emails to potential patent holders casting aspersions on intellectual prowess and threatening restraining orders with further contact.

If only I could enjoy the sights and sounds of the park while strapped into reddarin's genius heating pad device too! I suppose if I strapped enough of them to my body, I'd probably be completely protected from the sun and able to wander around as I pleased... if only we could come up with a way to make them battery powered
Closed Thread