Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #1591
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I wonder why you have been bouncing up the last few days Cheryl. Any med changes or anything?
I can't really figure it out. I don't take any medications.
My calories were up by just a few, 50 to 100 no more. Protein was above 80 one day I think. TOM is due 1 week from tomorrow so I can't imagine I am already getting water weight. weekdays I wear a pedometer and try to get between 14,000 and 20,000 steps a day. I didn't walk as much over the weekend. I haven't done any exercise besides that.
The biggest difference I can figure is it got cold again here and we haven't been out in the sun as much. The days I was losing I was staying outside in the sun 5 to 6 hours a day.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #1592
Major LCF Poster!

Robin,
Happy Birthday!!

Melanie,
Congrats on more loss!!!

MSKURBY,
193.3 congrats!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #1593
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I can't really figure it out. I don't take any medications.
My calories were up by just a few, 50 to 100 no more. Protein was above 80 one day I think. TOM is due 1 week from tomorrow so I can't imagine I am already getting water weight. weekdays I wear a pedometer and try to get between 14,000 and 20,000 steps a day. I didn't walk as much over the weekend. I haven't done any exercise besides that.
The biggest difference I can figure is it got cold again here and we haven't been out in the sun as much. The days I was losing I was staying outside in the sun 5 to 6 hours a day.
Aha! We can test this easily enough. Get some bungie cords, a long extension cord and 6 heating pads. Strap the heating pads all over your body, using one as a bonnet, and plug them in. This will scientifically simulate the heat from the sun and we can definitively establish if the Mayans had it right all along.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #1594
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Aha! We can test this easily enough. Get some bungie cords, a long extension cord and 6 heating pads. Strap the heating pads all over your body, using one as a bonnet, and plug them in. This will scientifically simulate the heat from the sun and we can definitively establish if the Mayans had it right all along.
lol
Sounds like a good idea to me, the heating pads anyway. As clumsy as I am the extension cord may be a bad idea.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #1595
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
I still haven't tried coconut butter but everyone says it is very tasty

How exactly is coconut butter listed in your logger Bernsy? Is it 'butter, coconut' or 'coconut, meat dried, butter' or some other way? I couldn't find it.
Hey,

Funny you should ask me that because I decided to make a customized food item for it because I didn't know which one to pick from the list; coconut meat dried / descicated / fresh.

I bought the Nutiva brand and I think it is raw virgin coconut meat - nothing added.

I can't believe how good it is! just melted a couple of scoops down a little and ate it off the spoon and then added some unsweetened cocao powder.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #1596
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
Hey,

Funny you should ask me that because I decided to make a customized food item for it because I didn't know which one to pick from the list; coconut meat dried / descicated / fresh.

I bought the Nutiva brand and I think it is raw virgin coconut meat - nothing added.

I can't believe how good it is! just melted a couple of scoops down a little and ate it off the spoon and then added some unsweetened cocao powder.
I know what site you use and I use it too Bernsy. I am constantly annoyed by their baffling food database I made my own custom entry for ribeye if you can believe that.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #1597
Blabbermouth!!!

For those of you that wonder why NK is all about total carbs and not net carbs here is a great example of why net carbs can be bad.

The Dream fields Pasta Fraud | DietDoctor.com

Last edited by reddarin; 04-22-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Old 04-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #1598
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Happy Earth Day!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #1599
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
weigh in 155.8
AWWW
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #1600
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Quote:
For those of you that wonder why NK is all about total carbs and not net carbs here is a great example of why net carbs can be bad.

Very interesting read! But for me it still doesn't really clear up the net carb thing because they weren't claiming that the fiber was responsible for the low carbs. They were claiming some magical "protected carbs" in addition to the 4g of fiber (which BTW is roughly the same as standard pasta). I noticed they didn't include that info in the actual nutrition label, prolly because it would have been against gov't regulations.

When I looked at the carb counts on some of the recipes from "Art & Science" and calculated the counts myself, it actually looks like they did subtract the fiber from their counts...It is odd that they really don't address fiber or net carbs at all, just the one comment about total carbs. I knida wish they would clear it up...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #1601
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #1602
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Great site. Impressed w/ his findings. We KNEW it.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #1603
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Very interesting read! But for me it still doesn't really clear up the net carb thing because they weren't claiming that the fiber was responsible for the low carbs. They were claiming some magical "protected carbs" in addition to the 4g of fiber (which BTW is roughly the same as standard pasta). I noticed they didn't include that info in the actual nutrition label, prolly because it would have been against gov't regulations.

When I looked at the carb counts on some of the recipes from "Art & Science" and calculated the counts myself, it actually looks like they did subtract the fiber from their counts...It is odd that they really don't address fiber or net carbs at all, just the one comment about total carbs. I knida wish they would clear it up...
I agree it is about the mysterious 'protected carbs' but I thought it was very interesting because there is a huge amount of 'a net carb is a net carb' type thinking, I think.

I never did really read through the recipe section. Most of it is stuff that I'd never make either because I am lazy or, if someone else made it for me, I am still a picky eater 45 years later. I tried to recreate the yogurt cucumber recipe with my food logger and I got 7.78 total carbs per serving with each being 1/6th the total. Why, oh why, didn't they use weights instead of cups and '6 medium or 4 large' type stuff. I'd guess they were shooting for accessibility rather than exactness. But they had to have had the weights to arrive at the exact carbs and fat grams. Pretty annoying.

Actually, the book is very clear about total carbs. This one passage says it succinctly:

From page 4:
Defining 'Nutritional Ketosis'

The second way to define 'low carbohydrate' is physiologic - specifically that level below which there is a fundamental shift in your body's fuel homeostasis (i.e., energy regulation) away from glucose as a primary fuel. This shift is the adaptation of the body's hormonal set and inter-organ fuel exchange to allow most of your daily energy needs to be met by fat, either directly as fatty acids or indirectly by ketone bodies made from fat. This process, which is discussed more fully in Chapter 7, begins for most adults when total carbohydrate is restricted to less than 60 grams per day along with a moderate intake of protein.
...and further on they touch on fuel homeostasis again:

Page 117:
"An important point that we touch on a number of times in this book is that when a person switches from a high carb diet to one low enough in carbohydrates that the body starts making ketones (usually at or under 50 grams per day of total carbs), the body's economy of essential fatty acids changes dramatically. ..."
That is a powerful passage right there. Total carbs, not net, are responsible for this shift in fuel homeostasis.

Here are more examples.

On page 68:
"However, there appears to be a flaw in human design because liver ketone production does not kick in until daily carbohydrate intake is consistently at or under 50 grams (200 kcal)..."
...50 grams must be total carbs since they specify 200 kCal (50 times 4).

Page 207:
"...and 25 grams of carbs (100 kCal) ..."
Page 231:
"Postscript: Seven Days of Low Carb Living

Here are seven days of menus one might follow on a maintenance diet providing less than 50 grams per day of total carbohydrates."
Page 239:
"...Some people with metabolic syndrome can tolerate up to 100 grams per day of total carbs, whereas other find they need to stay under 40 to avoid the return of unhealthy blood lipds or weight regain.
I searched my kindle version for the words "net carb" and got zero results.

Really, I think the confusion comes from the fact that both of these doctors had just co-authored (with Westman) the latest Atkins book which is identified with net carbs. And the fact that using net carbs is a whole lot less restrictive than total carbs - sort of a have your coconut flour cake and eat it too type thing.

I wonder if it was addressed any differently in the Performance book?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #1604
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Great site. Impressed w/ his findings. We KNEW it.
lol right too good to be true but I didn't know it at all!!! I assumed they were acceptable and I know some people on some of the other forums at LCF eat them.

I bet them quest bars are the same way even if they don't list magically protected carbs.

Casey did you test your BG when you ate that half dozen that day?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1605
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Talked myself out of FF since reading JM's website...
Fat Fast For A Few Days To Induce Weight Loss « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Since I still lose on LC I might as well just do that and take the losses as they come. If I just stay on track for NK (cut the crap!) I know I can lose weight and feel happy with how my body feels. I'm already in ketosis so not using FF to "speed" that up...it was just to shed these b-day celebration lbs...

So, today so far:

138g fat
45g prot
11g TOTAL carb
84.7/12.3/3%

It's been mostly HWC/EVCO in coffee, a chef salad w/ ranch and tuna/mayo.

Right at about 1465 calories for the day so far. A little high on fat % so far but I'm planning to have some more protein after my p90x workout later this eve.

I went to the doc last week and had blood work done so waiting on results, excited to see and to make sure I'm on target for my thyroid issues and w/ those meds. Started a new form of birth control so hoping that won't wreak any havoc - it's the nuvaring...we'll see.

I did find out that I'm right at 5'6" and wrist is 6.25" so I have a medium frame size - found my ideal body weight should be 62 kg which looks to round up to about 137
...whoa, this is less than I've been working towards since I've been looking to be 155.

With the 155 in mind I was thinking about 100g prot/day was what I "needed" as a limit, so if I alter it to say...140 my goal prot would be 140/2.2 x 1.5 = about 95.5 so not a big difference...and most of the time I don't think I hit that much prot anyway.

If I'm at like 173 (can't remember exactly from this morning so will WI again tomorrow) my current calorie expenditure is 173/2.2*30= about 2360

Goal weight, let's say 140 (that kind of causes me stress LOL...probably cuz it just doesn't seem possible!)...so 140/2.2*35=2227 -- So roughly 2200 calories. Now subtracting 500 puts me at about 1700 cals/day should be my goal.

If I eat say 85 g prot/day that is about 340 calories...which is 20% of 1700 and that seems too high with the goal of about 15%. SO...thinking goal of 1700-1800 calories a day with 80% being from fat = 1360 -1440 calories from fat which is about 151-160g fat a day.

I know this is a lot to read LOL, sorry. It helps me to work this out and see if anyone has any feedback

I do workout at least one hour per day so planning to eat back at least 1/2 of those calories. I typically use a HRM to determine calories burned and since been using for SO long I have good estimates in mind for certain workouts...does anyone else figure their stats like this and then count in fitness calories in any way? Curious about how others handle the calories burned from a workout in their daily goals like this...It's crazy to think about eating 1700-1800 cals/day with no workout and still be in a deficit to still be able to see weightloss but considering a few days I've eaten perfect NK and hit 3000+ calories and saw a loss that same week I know it's just my old mindset but still crazy! (maybe crazy awesome tho!)
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #1606
Senior LCF Member

I have a small group of women online and we discuss our weight loss and a lady posted today: Jumpstart to Skinny: The Simple 3-week Plan for Supercharged Weight Loss - Bob Harper, Greg Critser - Google Books

She said "this makes me angry" and I agree! Saying no more than 800 cals a day...REALLY!?!?!?! GRRR.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #1607
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
If I eat say 85 g prot/day that is about 340 calories...which is 20% of 1700 and that seems too high with the goal of about 15%. SO...thinking goal of 1700-1800 calories a day with 80% being from fat = 1360 -1440 calories from fat which is about 151-160g fat a day.
Don't get stuck on macro ratios Robin. If your numbers work out to 20% protein with your best guess calorie goal then that is fine. The important two things are establishing the calorie goal to eat towards and figuring out the right protein grams for a daily goal. The ratios fall where they may. I am in the 19% to 21% range on protein frequently.

As for the calories expended during workout you'll have to use trial and error to figure it out. Mostly calorie guestimates on how much was actually burned are greatly overestimated from what I've read.

From what McGuff said on the video I watched, it looks to me like a short but intense strength training session will result in a heightened burn for about an hour and a half after the 10-15 minute workout has been done.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #1608
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Still laughing..... But it can't beat the fan and coffee lid.. ha
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #1609
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
I have a small group of women online and we discuss our weight loss and a lady posted today: Jumpstart to Skinny: The Simple 3-week Plan for Supercharged Weight Loss - Bob Harper, Greg Critser - Google Books

She said "this makes me angry" and I agree! Saying no more than 800 cals a day...REALLY!?!?!?! GRRR.
You think that makes you angry...
a day or 2 on that diet and the you will actually grow horns and your family will think you have been possessed.
I did Jillian Michael's diet for a week or so and my kids begged me to stop.
Their happy go luck Mom became a Mummy Dearest.
The 3 or 4 lbs I lost was so not worth it.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #1610
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Still laughing..... But it can't beat the fan and coffee lid.. ha
lol yeah that face shield idea is a winner

I mentioned it in another thread but didn't give any details lol.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #1611
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

Calories 1220

Fat 90 68%
Pro 77 25%
Carb 20 7%

Breakfast/ eggs and bacon

Lunch/ Cabbage, broth / cream cheese and cool whip

Dinner/ Chicken and broccoli with cheese sauce
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #1612
Blabbermouth!!!

You could even make the face shield a family event. Have the kids draw an appropriate frowny face on the outward facing side of the lid thus indicating your grievous displeasure at the frothy liquid being blasted all over the kitchen.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1613
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
lol yeah that face shield idea is a winner

I mentioned it in another thread but didn't give any details lol.
Quote:
You could even make the face shield a family event. Have the kids draw an appropriate frowny face on the outward facing side of the lid thus indicating your grievous displeasure at the frothy liquid being blasted all over the kitchen.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #1614
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Today's numbers

Calories 1731
Pro 62g 14%
Carb 11g 3%
Fat 161. 83%

BPC
2 beef patties w/LC cheese
Fat bomb
1 egg 2 egg yolk cooked in bacon grease
Sour cream w/peach torini
Soda float HWC
Bullion w/butter
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #1615
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 22, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,670

Fat: 237
Pro: 97
Car: 45

79/15/6

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, cheese, cabbage, broth [bouillon, bacon grease, butter].
Dinner: Sausage, onions, jalapeno, cheese, tomato.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #1616
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #1617
Senior LCF Member

Food Log April 22, 2013

Todays menu

B coffee w/hwc and 1 T co 1/2 portion of ham, squash casserole
L 2 eggs, 4 oz ham
D 6 oz ham , salad w/3 T blue cheese dressing
S celery w/ 3 oz cream cheese 2 sf coke w/hwc

Totals:

1665 cal
141 fat
12 carb
72 protein
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #1618
Senior LCF Member

My DD picked up a spiral ham at walmart the other day. Left over from Easter and on sale a .99 lb. So I've been eating ham 3 times a day for 3 days. Getting old fast. Sure have enjoyed it. Our two dogs totally bird dog me when I go to the kitchen. They have enjoyed it too.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #1619
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lunch: Chicken, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, cheese, cabbage, broth [bouillon, bacon grease, butter].
Wow - this sounds SOOO yummy!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1620
Blabbermouth!!!

I love fried cabbage with stuff but today I boiled the cabbage in the broth - that makes for some very tasty broth - and sauteed the other ingredients. Yum
Closed Thread