Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
robbelk,
Great list!! I do, Darin's Favorite , a TBSP of ACV in a glass of water anytime I need to lose water weight. It really works. Also helps with insulin resistance, I have read.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I'm doing much better today food-wise. I had coffee with coconut oil and hwc to start out, then a meal of scrambled eggs & bacon a couple hours later. I also had 2 squares dark chocolate with black coffee after breakfast. This will keep me full until late afternoon/early evening and then I'll get in the rest of my calories at dinner.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Day 2 menu so far:
5a: avo and steak
730a: 2 eggs and bacon
9a: coffee with HWC, 1 splenda packet
1230: 3oz tuna with 1 tbsp mayo (I know it's bad for you but hopefully it won't kill me today lol...)
115: coffee with HWC, 1 splenda packet

So far I'm at about 1200 calories
109g fat
52g prot
14 TOTAL carbs (7 of these are fiber...) so looks like I'm right at:
78.79518072 %
16.70682731 %
4.497991968 %

Yay for today so far! I've also drank 2 L of plain water and have taken all my daily supplements woot! Plan for dinner...hmmm probably bacon/ham omelet with a shot of CO to add the fat in since I'm not really a big cheese eater - I love cream cheese SO much but not in/on omelets (sp? looks weird...lol I'm a bad speller anyway).

I feel SO good today and ready for this WOE and can't wait to see ketones if those stick things end up working for me - hope so. I am thinking once I see the color change it will REALLY keep me on track and I know I will feel better. I REALLY wanna be like 150-155 by summer...so a good solid 20 lbs to be GONE in like 3 months would be RAD but idk if that is possible in a healthy way now that I'm smaller it's feeling a lot harder to lose these last lbs...argh!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
WHAH!!!! got a ton of pages to catch with but I wanted to reply to Clueless first from a post in the March thread.

Quote:
Deb,
Thanks for posting the leptin reset rules. I had looked them up but there were some on there I didn't know about. Good luck!
I noticed before LR called for high protein breakfast. How many grams of protein will you be shooting for?
I will be going for at least 50 gm at breakfast, maybe 20 at lunch and 20 at dinner...

breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, dinner like a pauper....eases me into the 4 hour gap between dinner and sleep.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You are welcome

There's a ton of really great information on some of those podcasts. Even the ones with Jimmy Moore that are not LC friendly, like that guy Matt LaLonde, are very informative.

I listen to a lot of them, including non-LC podcasts but I don't think I've mentioned how I do that in several months.

I don't watch TV or movies other than commercial free stuff on the internet. I don't listen to live radio. I don't spend a lot of time listening to music and I don't listen to it very often.

I put the podcasts on my phone and use a bluetooth headset to listen to the podcasts when I am not doing something that requires attention. When I am driving I plug my phone into the truck's aux port and listen to them.
Sounds like a great way to get good information into your brain. I also lovveeee TED TALKS while making dinner or cleaning. I have used the Jill Taylor's Stroke of Insight in a recent presentation. Amazing things to learn about the brain and the body.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Mom actually took the salt shaker away from me.
Then "You need to Eat carbs"
Haha! Oh jeeze. My mom keeps dissing the fat.
I want to spoon feed her some coconut oil. Maybe then she would get it.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
For any Canadians on this thread that use boullion cubes, powders or liquids under the Knorr umbrella i.e. Oxo, or Bovril etc, you should be aware that you should check the canadian website for knorr and look at the ingredients list.

On all of their products they list MSG and wheat/soy/corn protein- so depending on your sensitivity to any of these ingredients, these boullion sources may not be for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

Calories 1423

Code:
Fat    119   75%
Pro     71   20%
carb    17    5%

Breakfast coffee and CO
Lunch bacon and cheese omelet
Dinner Chicken and salad
Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Well made tru..first day back,
B- coffee with tbs hwc,tbs co Steiva liq.
L-1 egg coffee with hwc,co
D-6oz h.b. 2 eggs
Coffee with ,hwc,co,Steiva liq..
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Wow!! There are some great weigh ins! Congratulations!

For those that are up a bit, don't fret. You know it'll come back down. Darn scales!

I found guacamole in snack size pouches in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store. It's by Wholly Guacamole and has all whole foods. Low carb and paleo friendly with 90 of the 100 calories coming from fat. Woot!

This will be so helpful when I'm busy during the day.

Kelly
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Those little guacamole pouches are great for a burger or with turkey. I had cheesey cauliflower soup with crumbled bacon and a burger patty with mustard for dinner. Ended the day at 1625 calories, 141 g fat, 79 g protein, 16 g carbs, 5 g fiber.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Captain's log

1246 calories
95 g fat
19g carbs (11g fiber)
35g protein

Kelly

Last edited by dasschus; 04-02-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Has anyone ever overdosed on high fat and just felt nauseated. I ate about 2300 calories early today of high fat and haven't eaten a thing since 11 a.m. and don't plan to. It had about 1/2 cup HWC, 5 oz. cheese, and some peanut butter and chocolate. It wan't totally all low carb but definitely high fat. It beats my days of eating 10 bananas in a smoothie and being famished an hour later.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Oriana, you should be spreading all that out across the day... not eating all of that fat in one sitting. I'd be nauseated too NK really doesn't suit itself well to IF, honestly. The key is to eat high fat but spread your meals out across the day. I never feel nauseated eating high fat, but that's because I only take my HWC a tablespoon or so at a time in a beverage... or I'll only have a couple ounces of cheese at a time, etc.

Also, I'd definitely watch peanut butter and chocolate as both as very high in carbs for their small serving sizes... it's really easy to go overboard on them. I have a tiny little piece of 88% dark chocolate every day, and I find that to be okay but beyond a teaspoon or so of peanut butter in a fat bomb now and again I tend to avoid it because it's so carb dense and very addicting!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #135
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunflwr1
Stats: 5' 9" 196/159.1/145
WOE: Whole30/HFLC/NK
Start Date: LC off and on since '03
Hey Red... thanks for all the links to the different podcasts! Been learning a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
LOL, I tried BPC finally this morning. It was so yuck.
I will stick to my CO and coffee.
Ohh... and here I love it! Whipped up in my Magic Bullet... so smooth, soothing, and decadent! We're all different!

blood ketones: 2.2
FBG: 90

weighed myself, but didn't write it down so I forgot! Duh! But I know it was 165.? lol!

I'm a creature of habit... when I find something I like, I stick with it until I tire of it so...

B: breakfast muffin, avocado with a splash of lime juice, and bulletproof coffee
L & D together: C of B soup, avocado with LJ, 4 oz. grass fed beef patty, 1 oz. cheese, 2-3/4 oz. pork roast.

Totals: 1,659 144/69/15 78%/17%/4%
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey guys,
Made it through my first day. Played with my fit??? to get all the correct grams and percentages. A lot of fun after a while.

B coffee, hwc and co,
S Broth w/ butter, 4 x bacon, mushrooms
L Omelet w/ 2 eggs, cheese w/ 1/2 cup buttered spinach
S Root Beer float w/ hwc, 1 oz nuts
D Ham slices, cucumber w/cream cheese, broth w/butter

A little low on protein but I'll do better

Totals
1789 cal
171.6 fat
16.8 carb
55.3 protein

All in all a good, thanks everybody for your help.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

I posted about this over in the main lobby's "what are you eating" thread too, but I realized this might have been the better place... is there anything wrong with drinking a large portion of your calories in a day? More specifically, is it bad to have drank 4 mugs of bulletproof tea today to keep my calories and fat up where I wanted them? I normally only drink 2 mugs per day, so I'm feeling like it was a little excessive... but my totals for the day are right where I want them as a result of drinking them, and it wasn't as if I was forcing in the extra calories necessarily. It wasn't that I couldn't physically eat anymore, it was more that I was already where I should have been on protein for the day (so that subtracted a LOT of options for me!) and I also have to watch my sodium as well (again, there goes a lot of options once I reach my limit!)

Basically, today I had my bulletproof tea for breakfast as usual... had a bit of running around to do and had only slept about an hour or hour and a half during the night, so when I got home from that I wanted to lay down. I napped through when I would have otherwise cooked lunch, got up, and had another mug of bulletproof tea. For dinner I had a pretty big meal with two servings of asparagus and a rack of lamb... and that provided me with my day's protein and sodium pretty much in one go. But that still left me pretty low on fat today, and low on calories... so knowing I tend to need to be in the 1500-1600 range to see a loss at all, I'd figured the most harmless thing I could do (protein and sodium wise) was to have two more mugs of tea.

I make my bulletproof tea with 1/2T coconut oil, and 2T HWC each time. I did account for the carbs in the HWC and I'm still way under my limit of course... I'm just wondering if anyone's had issues with getting a large chunk of their calories and fat from drinks, or if it doesn't seem to be an issue. I don't plan on making it a habit, but I have to assume having that is almost akin to having actual FOOD and much better than being under my goal for the day and not equivalent to fasting!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I posted about this over in the main lobby's "what are you eating" thread too, but I realized this might have been the better place... is there anything wrong with drinking a large portion of your calories in a day? More specifically, is it bad to have drank 4 mugs of bulletproof tea today to keep my calories and fat up where I wanted them? I normally only drink 2 mugs per day, so I'm feeling like it was a little excessive... but my totals for the day are right where I want them as a result of drinking them, and it wasn't as if I was forcing in the extra calories necessarily. It wasn't that I couldn't physically eat anymore, it was more that I was already where I should have been on protein for the day (so that subtracted a LOT of options for me!) and I also have to watch my sodium as well (again, there goes a lot of options once I reach my limit!)

Basically, today I had my bulletproof tea for breakfast as usual... had a bit of running around to do and had only slept about an hour or hour and a half during the night, so when I got home from that I wanted to lay down. I napped through when I would have otherwise cooked lunch, got up, and had another mug of bulletproof tea. For dinner I had a pretty big meal with two servings of asparagus and a rack of lamb... and that provided me with my day's protein and sodium pretty much in one go. But that still left me pretty low on fat today, and low on calories... so knowing I tend to need to be in the 1500-1600 range to see a loss at all, I'd figured the most harmless thing I could do (protein and sodium wise) was to have two more mugs of tea.

I make my bulletproof tea with 1/2T coconut oil, and 2T HWC each time. I did account for the carbs in the HWC and I'm still way under my limit of course... I'm just wondering if anyone's had issues with getting a large chunk of their calories and fat from drinks, or if it doesn't seem to be an issue. I don't plan on making it a habit, but I have to assume having that is almost akin to having actual FOOD and much better than being under my goal for the day and not equivalent to fasting!
Hmmm. That is really a pretty good question.

I don't know if it is optimal or not but I have been doing it since the get go by default. My morning coffee ranges from 700 to 1000 calories so 33%+ of my daily calories are there and if need to get my calories up I may drink 3 or 4 oz of HWC as floats. Since I've added broth to my daily routine I've been spiking it with butter and bacon grease to get my fat up.

Frankly, if I had to rely on my imaginative cooking skills to get most of my fat in I'd be in real trouble heh.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #139
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Hey guys,
Made it through my first day. Played with my fit??? to get all the correct grams and percentages. A lot of fun after a while.

B coffee, hwc and co,
S Broth w/ butter, 4 x bacon, mushrooms
L Omelet w/ 2 eggs, cheese w/ 1/2 cup buttered spinach
S Root Beer float w/ hwc, 1 oz nuts
D Ham slices, cucumber w/cream cheese, broth w/butter

A little low on protein but I'll do better

Totals
1789 cal
171.6 fat
16.8 carb
55.3 protein

All in all a good, thanks everybody for your help.
Looks good Lindy
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

For you guys trying to wrangle your macro grams where you want them to be, one of the strategies I use a lot is to eat lean protein and look for opportunities to add fat.

That can also help out if you are having a hard time getting your calories where you want them. If you eat a high fat protein you may be too satiated to get enough calories in and end up way short of your goal.

For example, I used to eat a breakfast something like 3 eggs, 2oz cheese, and maybe 4oz of bacon. The I'd forget to eat lunch or keep putting it off till I had quite a bit of calories left to reach my goal and it was getting later than I liked to eat dinner. So I put off breakfast and try to eat an early lunch so I can have dinner at an earlier hour.

My early dinner hour has nothing to do with NK. When I was humongous I would eat dinner and then snack all the way up till I went to sleep. So I get a heck of a charge out of eating early (3pm or 4pm) and not eating anything else till coffee the next morning. I do end up eating dinner as late as 6pm on occasion.

That is one thing I really enjoy about NK and, to a lesser extent, LC. Tons of positive reinforcement at all levels all the time all day long.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Has anyone ever overdosed on high fat and just felt nauseated. I ate about 2300 calories early today of high fat and haven't eaten a thing since 11 a.m. and don't plan to. It had about 1/2 cup HWC, 5 oz. cheese, and some peanut butter and chocolate. It wan't totally all low carb but definitely high fat. It beats my days of eating 10 bananas in a smoothie and being famished an hour later.
Yes. It happens to me occasionally.

It is probably from low stomach acid though. If you drank a lot of liquid before eating or while eating or after eating it dilutes your stomach acid. Or you could just have that condition, particularly if you used to take a lot of antacids.

If it feels a bit like indigestion (high protein or high fat or both) google 'apple cider vinegar low stomach acid' for some yukky tips on how you might fix it.

You do not want to be 'moderate carb' and high fat. Watch out for PB and chocolate under 86% cocoa is not LC friendly. Even the 86%+ needs moderation.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #142
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Well made tru..first day back,
B- coffee with tbs hwc,tbs co Steiva liq.
L-1 egg coffee with hwc,co
D-6oz h.b. 2 eggs
Coffee with ,hwc,co,Steiva liq..
Good job Becky!

How's DH? Right as rain now?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 02, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,498

Fat: 222
Pro: 93
Car: 39

79/15/6

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, jalapeno, bacon, cabbage, broth [bouillon, butter, bacon grease].
Dinner: Pickles, salad [lettuce, tomato, cheese, bacon, a skosh of bacon grease].
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

See, I find that I wind up with the opposite problem almost... I find that it's helpful for me to choose a FATTENING protein versus a leaner one, because otherwise I wind up stumped as to how to get the rest of the fat in. That's especially the case at a restaurant

For instance, today I had rack of lamb... fairly fatty for the amount of protein I suppose. Certainly better than some meats. And look at all the trouble I had today, loading up on 4 bulletproof teas just to get my calories and fat up for the day. I can't even imagine what kind of trouble I would have been in if I'd chosen a chicken breast instead or something

I find that if I'm just not hungry (like tonight!) and I still need some more fat, I just drink it... or else try a fat bomb of some sort that isn't drinkable if I think I can handle that. For some reason even if I don't feel much like snacking I can usually convince myself to drink down another mug of bulletproof tea no problem
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Woo finished my day with

Total Cals 2538
fat 230g
protein 85g
carbs 32g TOTAL (14 is fiber)
alcohol 0

81.56028369%
13.3963751 %
5.043341214%

Feeling great - nervous that I ate so many calories but know it's what I need to do so excited to see positive changes soon. I did 2 one hour workouts today and per my HR watch burned over 800 calories in each - they were killer, was down quite a bit tonight after workouts and eating so that's a good sign. It looked like someone poured a bucket of water over my head during my 2nd workout so I know I was retaining water like mad crazy, guess from my binge eating last week/weekend.

After you go on a binge and eat like a pound of white sugar and flour with pineapple on top how long does it take your body to get back into NK? Is it really just different for everyone and based on their history? I've been LC for over a year now but never focused on NK. I guess it doesn't really matter how long it takes me since it's my goal regardless but I'm like a kid at Christmas lol...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Checking in....I couldn't resist the scale today (so much for my willpower) and was pleased with another small loss, down to 185.0 Hope it keeps up.

My numbers today:
Calories: 1,844
Carbs: 47
Fat: 157
Protein: 78
Ketones in AM: 1.4

Ate nearly identically to yesterday and now I am sick of duck eggs. I made a batch of pumpkin scones tonight (a lower-carb version of a recipe from Starbucks) and am looking forward to having one of those at my meeting in the morning while everyone else eats bagels and doughnuts.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Checking in....I couldn't resist the scale today (so much for my willpower) and was pleased with another small loss, down to 185.0 Hope it keeps up.

My numbers today:
Calories: 1,844
Carbs: 47
Fat: 157
Protein: 78
Ketones in AM: 1.4

Ate nearly identically to yesterday and now I am sick of duck eggs. I made a batch of pumpkin scones tonight (a lower-carb version of a recipe from Starbucks) and am looking forward to having one of those at my meeting in the morning while everyone else eats bagels and doughnuts.
Congrats on the loss!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

YES! Test strip shows trace! STOKED!

Breakfast: coffee with HWC and 1 large egg fried in bacon grease - good stuff!

Weight down - thank goodness. WI this morning a little under 173 so 8 lbs of binge weight gone in 2 days. SO ready to get back down to around 165 and now that I'm closer to 170 I won't drop the lbs so fast so it will probably be sometime next week that I hit 165 - hopefully!

Doing 1 hour dance cardio class this morning and will prob hit about 600 calories burned. My calorie goal today is about 2000 and prob like 70-80g protein for goal weight 150.

Happy HFLC day everyone!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh in this morning 156.4, back down to my low.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all I had a whoose. Ya... From 159.4 to 156.8 yes I love it....great job cherly were the same weight yehaw you are doing great..husband is doing lots better...I'm not going to get it......I think the co helps alot from not getting. Sick...
Closed Thread