Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #1381
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I'm a big fan of George Foreman grills

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #1382
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I had a small bounce this morning and weighed in at 187. I didn't feel like cooking eggs this morning, so I ate chocolate cream cheese pudding for breakfast. That and coffee kept me full all day.

I have all the ingredients for taco salad, so I think that is what's going to be for dinner.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #1383
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Good luck to you!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #1384
Senior LCF Member

Another jaw pain day, and not too hungry on top of it. Ran this morning, then did a hard weight training workout this afternoon.

B: 1 cup coffee w/ HWC, cup boillon w/ 3T HWC
L: caesar side salad from Chili's.. sucked on the lettuce, it was pathetic
S: 12g coconut oil, 14g macadamia nuts
D: Quest chocolate chip cookie dough bar.. OMG! SO GOOD!

843 calories
74g fat
30g carbs (10 net)
32g protein

73% fat/13% carbs/14% protein
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #1385
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I'm a big fan of George Foreman grills
Huh, really? I have two (a tabletop one, and a bigger one that's being used as a table right now pretty much ) and I always figured they were no good now that I'm on a high fat diet because a lot of the fat cooks out... I also figured I'd have issues with a good quality ribeye drying out if I was cooking a lot of the fat out of it, but that makes me feel better to hear that!

I did make really good bacon wrapped sirloins on my George Foreman though! I believe I cooked them for 5 minutes and they were medium rare, so I'm thinking about cooking my ribeye for about 4 minutes since they're a bit thinner. 3 if I'm feeling brave, although I do like my steaks more to the rare side of medium rare than the medium side anyway
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #1386
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Casey, I know you said you have no cartridge in your jaw, but, I have read that calcium or magnesium deficiency can cause or worsen TMJ. I have also read that Glucosamine sulfate can actually help your body rebuild cartilage in the jaw.
You might wanna check it out since it is gonna be a while before you can take time for surgery.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #1387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Today's numbers: 1850 calories, 80 g protein, 162 g fat, 32 g carbs, 12 g fiber.

Breakfast- chocolate cream cheese pudding, coffee with hwc
Snack - almonds & sharp cheddar, 2 squares 90% dark chocolate
Dinner - taco salad made with 8 oz ground sirloin, Mexican blend shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, and lettuce
Snack - chicken broth with a tbsp of melted butter
Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #1388
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Here's my numbers for today

Calories 1607
Pro 54g 13%
Carb 21g. 5%
Fat 148g.82%

BPC
Coffee w/HWC
Dijon salmon
Avocado
Bacon
Diet soda float
Boullion w/butter
Almond milk ice cream
Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #1389
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Oh, ouch. I've been dealing with TMJ for years, but that's truly awful. I've found valerian helps to relax the muscle if it's spasming. How soon do you start treatment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Casey, I know you said you have no cartridge in your jaw, but, I have read that calcium or magnesium deficiency can cause or worsen TMJ. I have also read that Glucosamine sulfate can actually help your body rebuild cartilage in the jaw.
You might wanna check it out since it is gonna be a while before you can take time for surgery.
Thank you thank you! I take magnesium and glucosamine supplements. I will look into calcium.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #1390
Senior LCF Member

Lisa, how do you make the chocolate cream cheese pudding?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #1391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Log for today

Calories 1387

Fat 107 71%
Pro 78 23%
Carb 21 6%

Breakfast / Egg yolks and bacon
Lunch / Cabbage and cream cheese / broth and HWC
Dinner / Pork spare ribs / slaw
Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #1392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Ok I'm getting a bit depressed here, my weight loss as flatlined, it's been about a week

I'm religiously tracking food (which is something I'm not normally into) and I've been sitting at around 1500 calories a day, less than 30g carb on average

What am i doing wrong?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #1393
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
Ok I'm getting a bit depressed here, my weight loss as flatlined, it's been about a week

I'm religiously tracking food (which is something I'm not normally into) and I've been sitting at around 1500 calories a day, less than 30g carb on average

What am i doing wrong?
Do you check your ketones at all, urine or otherwise? The urine test strips aren't best but can at least tell you if you're producing ketones usually.

You may need to go with less carbs... I need to be under 20 total a day, or I won't lose. What is your weight/goal weight again? You may need to try more calories depending on that. I eat between 1500-1600 a day myself, and I'm at 156 with a goal weight of 140-145 or so. When I was eating a couple hundred calories less, I found that I wasn't losing at all. It wasn't until I upped my calories (and my fat!) that I began losing again

Also, how's your protein? Some people have to tweak their levels... I can't eat at the 1.5 level because it's too much for my body. I eat closer to 1.15 I think most days.

There could potentially be something in your diet that's causing you to stall as well... could you post a menu of a typical day for you? For some people, dairy stalls them. I can eat some dairy, but not large quantities of it. Atkins bars are a BIG culprit for many, so if you eat any Atkins products you may want to keep that in mind as well. I also have no luck with aspartame, but others don't have an issue with it so it's a really personal sort of thing which foods cause trouble.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #1394
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

What am i doing wrong?
Other factors I can think of off the top of my head... do you exercise? That can cause weight loss to cease, although many still lose fat as they gain muscle. And are you experiencing TOM? That affects a woman's ability to lose as well as her ketone levels, and I find that I struggle for several days AFTER my cycle ends as well to lose any weight at all.

You could also consider trying ACV tonics or drinking lemon water if you think you might be holding onto water weight

Try not to stress about it too much... I know the scale is an ugly thing sometimes Reddarin usually tells me to give it a couple more days before I start to worry, and then try switching something around if I'm still having troubles. I almost always come out of it losing within a day or two afterwards. Wise words spoken by a wise NK family member
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #1395
Senior LCF Member

I dd notice if I upped the fat I lost a bit but I've still been trying to keep it all balanced under 1700 a day
I do eat dairy, but I was when I was actively losing as well
Ketones are solidly in the middle all the time, even early morning I'm at least on the second square
Never touch any kind of pre prepared low carb food, never even tried an atkins bar
Never use artificial sweeteners

When I get home ill post a sample menu
Old 04-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #1396
Senior LCF Member

Too much protein might be the issue, if so then I've got a pretty low threshold

Ok, as has already been patiently pointed out to me by reddarin I think my protein is too high, I need to take that unrealistic LBM calculation of 52kgs and use that instead of the 75kgs I think is reasonable, and whether I get ther or not that needs to be my target weight

Last edited by Perfectdeb; 04-19-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #1397
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Too much protein might be the issue, if so then I've got a pretty low threshold
You may either have a low threshold for protein or carbs then it sounds like, unless upping your calories/fat would help this time around too... I know those were my three issues, finding the right carb limit for me (although you MAY be okay there since you said you're producing ketones), finding the right protein level in between 1-1.5 somewhere, and upping my calories from fat until I saw results. I know at 1300-1400 I wasn't losing anything at all, but as soon as I went from there to 1500-1600 I started losing again

Go ahead and post your menu when you get home though, and we can all take a look at it for you! It sounds like you're eating pretty cleanly, so I doubt any of the foods on your list are the issue... it just may be a matter of tweaking calories or protein, or something simple like that!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #1398
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, as has already been patiently pointed out to me by reddarin I think my protein is too high, I need to take that unrealistic LBM calculation of 52kgs and use that instead of the 75kgs I think is reasonable, and whether I get ther or not that needs to be my target weight
Aha! That's right, I do remember that conversation now What you could always try is aim for the 1.5 number of the 52kg weight to be safe, and see how you lose from there. As long as you're correct in your assessment of your frame size, I believe it's best to always go by the height/weight frame chart for the weight you use to factor protein and things like that and then tweak as necessary. If 52kg isn't the very TOP of the "ideal" range on that chart either for your height and frame size, go ahead and use the highest weight in that range. I bet that's what's going on, is you're getting too much protein for your frame size and the body can't store or use excess protein
Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #1399
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
I def want to get my weight down before I ship for the AF! I actually just made friends with one of the guys in the AF here stationed at the base near my house....so he is going to help me prepare for the PFT's and such. I just ordered that book from amazon, so if you say it works, I believe you!
Awesome! Let us know what you think of it. Like I said, I am not an exercise advocate, and I don't really exercise myself, but I like what McGuff says about his workouts and he is a Paleo guy. And the intense but super short nature of the workout routine does fit perfectly with NK.

Quote:
Went to the DR a few months ago and they were impressed with all my numbers for being so overweight....that leads me to another question...do I have to worry about any blood count stuff? I don't want to show up to MEPS and all my counts be thrown off by eating all this high fat stuff. I'm not really worried about it...but in the back of my mind it sits there as my physical gets closer!
That was a really great question. Cholesterol is one thing for sure you need to get familiar with. One of the indicators is calculated from the other two and tends to return a high number. That is a big red flag for most doctors so you need to be able to set the doc straight on it if that comes up.

Google 'jimmy moore cholesterol dayspring'. There are two great podcasts, one is episode 29 of ATLCX and the other is episode 585 of LLVLC. The first two links should be it.

Also, 'Ask The Low-Carb Experts (Episode 8): ‘What Questions Should I Ask My (Non-Low-Carb Friendly) Doc?’ | Dr. Mary Vernon' - It doesn't apply exactly to your situation but it is a great primer on how to handle docs that are not well informed about LC.

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice! Oh, I noticed that you recommend taking mag citrate...do you have a brand you recommend? Also what about a multi-vit brand? I currently take the walmart womens daily one...is that good enough?

Thanks!
I do not have a brand recommendation for magnesium but I know some others have posted particular brands. I take the wal-mart brand multi for men myself
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #1400
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Huh, really? I have two (a tabletop one, and a bigger one that's being used as a table right now pretty much ) and I always figured they were no good now that I'm on a high fat diet because a lot of the fat cooks out... I also figured I'd have issues with a good quality ribeye drying out if I was cooking a lot of the fat out of it, but that makes me feel better to hear that!

I did make really good bacon wrapped sirloins on my George Foreman though! I believe I cooked them for 5 minutes and they were medium rare, so I'm thinking about cooking my ribeye for about 4 minutes since they're a bit thinner. 3 if I'm feeling brave, although I do like my steaks more to the rare side of medium rare than the medium side anyway
My only problem with GF grills with steaks is that I like a really thick steak and it is hard to get them cooked good on those grills. At least last time I tried which was several years ago now. But really thick boneless pork chops were what I usually cooked on my GF and they always turn out excellent.

Say! You probably havent heard my pitch on becoming excellent at grilling. I'd given up on grilling after wasting a lot of good meat over a few years. Finally, about 13 years ago I googled and found a book. I drove across town and bought it. I've been grilling up some amazing steaks ever since then. There are a lot of recipes that I have never used in the book but the technique for ribs and steaks and chicken are super duper. And he gives great information about setting up your grill and all that. I use charcoal but he covers gas too. The Texas Chili Rub is my favorite rub. I still have this book. The author taught classes on grilling for years before writing the book.

"Barbecues 101: More Than 100 Recipes for Great Grilled, Smoked, and Barbecued Food Plus All the Fixings by Rick Rodgers"
Rick Rodgers
ISBN: 0-7679-0673-x

Google 'abebooks ISBN: 0-7679-0673-x' and you can get it for about $4 with shipping.

A snippet of the synopsis:

"He's taken the fear out of holiday entertaining and Thanksgiving dinner preparation, and now Rick Rodgers makes grilling easier and more enjoyable than ever. Drawn from his sold-out coast-to-coast classes, Barbecues 101 features the hands-on, step-by-step style that has made Rodgers such a popular and award-winning instructor."
Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #1401
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My only problem with GF grills with steaks is that I like a really thick steak and it is hard to get them cooked good on those grills. At least last time I tried which was several years ago now. But really thick boneless pork chops were what I usually cooked on my GF and they always turn out excellent.

Say! You probably havent heard my pitch on becoming excellent at grilling. I'd given up on grilling after wasting a lot of good meat over a few years. Finally, about 13 years ago I googled and found a book. I drove across town and bought it. I've been grilling up some amazing steaks ever since then. There are a lot of recipes that I have never used in the book but the technique for ribs and steaks and chicken are super duper. And he gives great information about setting up your grill and all that. I use charcoal but he covers gas too. The Texas Chili Rub is my favorite rub. I still have this book. The author taught classes on grilling for years before writing the book.

"Barbecues 101: More Than 100 Recipes for Great Grilled, Smoked, and Barbecued Food Plus All the Fixings by Rick Rodgers"
Rick Rodgers
ISBN: 0-7679-0673-x

Google 'abebooks ISBN: 0-7679-0673-x' and you can get it for about $4 with shipping.

A snippet of the synopsis:

"He's taken the fear out of holiday entertaining and Thanksgiving dinner preparation, and now Rick Rodgers makes grilling easier and more enjoyable than ever. Drawn from his sold-out coast-to-coast classes, Barbecues 101 features the hands-on, step-by-step style that has made Rodgers such a popular and award-winning instructor."
Wow, more than 100? Sounds like something I'd definitely love to have a copy of! I absolutely LOVE grilling... I wish I could do it more often being in an apartment, but I do get out to the parks around here now and again to BBQ in the summer. That Texas Chili Rub sounds amazing by the way! I love dry rubs, they're my favorite

It'll be nice to have some sort of definitive guide to cooking meat on a grill too, because there's just so much guess work involved for me that I USUALLY come up with something delicious... but every once in a while I flub up and have to throw things back on the grill, or worse... overcook it. Especially chicken, which turns to leather when it's overcooked

Thanks for that reddarin! You're just an amazing source of information on a lot of things I also usually enjoy thick steaks, but the ribeye came out pretty great on the Foreman this time I think! I made a pan sauce with some butter, HWC, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, pepper, and the drippings from the ribeye and it was great

In case anyone's curious and likes looking at food... behold, the glorious grill marks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps4384b279.jpg

ETA: Just got a copy for $4 That ought to be a nice addition to this grilling season!

Last edited by raindroproses; 04-19-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #1402
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

"

When I first read this, I thought GF was referring to Guy Fieri, and I thought, "Wow, I would never buy anything attributed to that knucklehead."
Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #1403
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Other factors I can think of off the top of my head... do you exercise? That can cause weight loss to cease, although many still lose fat as they gain muscle. And are you experiencing TOM? That affects a woman's ability to lose as well as her ketone levels, and I find that I struggle for several days AFTER my cycle ends as well to lose any weight at all.

You could also consider trying ACV tonics or drinking lemon water if you think you might be holding onto water weight

Try not to stress about it too much... I know the scale is an ugly thing sometimes Reddarin usually tells me to give it a couple more days before I start to worry, and then try switching something around if I'm still having troubles. I almost always come out of it losing within a day or two afterwards. Wise words spoken by a wise NK family member
?Rain, I'm interested in your ACV tonics. Do they really help you. And you drink them a couple of times a day?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #1404
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
When I first read this, I thought GF was referring to Guy Fieri, and I thought, "Wow, I would never buy anything attributed to that knucklehead."
I thought it was Gluten Free grill at first, because I'm so used to GF meaning that anymore
Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #1405
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
?Rain, I'm interested in your ACV tonics. Do they really help you. And you drink them a couple of times a day?
Hi Lindy I drink them 3 times per day when it's not my TOM and when it is, I increase to 4 times a day to offset the extra water weight. I really do think they're helping me though! I'm REALLY prone to retaining water (seriously, I can't even get to 2000mg of sodium without retaining a bunch) so I've found that it's really helped me keep that off... I think the extra potassium has been helping me too, because Braggs ACV has some potassium in it as well.

As far as what I've noticed so far... next to no water retention anymore. I do believe it's been helping me keep my inflammation down as well, because I used to experience some joint pain in the past and I attribute at least some of my relief to the ACV tonics. This past TOM I only gained 1 pound of water weight, compared to the 4 pounds I gained the month prior before I started drinking them. I also don't know if it's the potassium or magnesium supplements I take, or the ACV that's helping... but I used to get cramps REALLY bad all the time too, and this month not one episode of cramping

Some people say it gives them an energy boost too, but I've got so much going on with my thyroid and things right now that I really can't say for certain if I do or not. It's a GREAT appetite suppressant for me though! After a tall glass of water with 1T of ACV in it, I'm good to go for a while and feeling full even if I haven't eaten in a while. And when I add the lemon stevia drops to it, it tastes like a tangy lemonade
Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #1406
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Wow, more than 100? Sounds like something I'd definitely love to have a copy of! I absolutely LOVE grilling... I wish I could do it more often being in an apartment, but I do get out to the parks around here now and again to BBQ in the summer. That Texas Chili Rub sounds amazing by the way! I love dry rubs, they're my favorite

It'll be nice to have some sort of definitive guide to cooking meat on a grill too, because there's just so much guess work involved for me that I USUALLY come up with something delicious... but every once in a while I flub up and have to throw things back on the grill, or worse... overcook it. Especially chicken, which turns to leather when it's overcooked

Thanks for that reddarin! You're just an amazing source of information on a lot of things I also usually enjoy thick steaks, but the ribeye came out pretty great on the Foreman this time I think! I made a pan sauce with some butter, HWC, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, pepper, and the drippings from the ribeye and it was great

In case anyone's curious and likes looking at food... behold, the glorious grill marks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps4384b279.jpg

ETA: Just got a copy for $4 That ought to be a nice addition to this grilling season!
The steak looks perfect

You know, before NK I would never consider any sort of sauce with a good steak. But now I do it because it is a great way to get in some extra fat. And that sauce you made sounds really delicious! Between the steak and the sauce my mouth is watering lol.

Let me know what you think of the book. It is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I couldn't cook meat on a grill to save my life. The baby back rib technique is out of this world. When you take them out of the foil you'll think maybe you didn't do it right but when you put them back on the grill to finish them they come out better than most BBQ places. I haven't used BBQ sauce since going LC but that stuff on netrition is supposed to be good (Guys?) so I'll get that sometime this summer to try it out.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #1407
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
lol /bonk

I used to watch Diners Drive-ins and Dives. I really liked the show. It was funny sometimes because the guy/gal in the kitchen obviously didn't like Guy heh.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #1408
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Food Log April 19, 2013

Todays menu:

B coffee w/hwc and co
L Bacon x4, 1 avocado
D 7 oz baked Ham, pickles
S 2 coke w/hwc

Totals:
1593 cal
136 fat
20 carb
77 protein
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #1409
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The steak looks perfect

You know, before NK I would never consider any sort of sauce with a good steak. But now I do it because it is a great way to get in some extra fat. And that sauce you made sounds really delicious! Between the steak and the sauce my mouth is watering lol.

Let me know what you think of the book. It is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I couldn't cook meat on a grill to save my life. The baby back rib technique is out of this world. When you take them out of the foil you'll think maybe you didn't do it right but when you put them back on the grill to finish them they come out better than most BBQ places. I haven't used BBQ sauce since going LC but that stuff on netrition is supposed to be good (Guys?) so I'll get that sometime this summer to try it out.
Thank you! Here's a shot of it with the sauce, if you were curious what it looked like... not nearly as pretty, but the sauce was delicious! I pretty much just came up with it on the fly but it was 2T of salted butter, 1T of HWC, 1t of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2t minced garlic, the pan drippings from the steak leftover (and the juices from the plate it was resting on), and a bit of ground black pepper

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps1d3148b7.jpg

I definitely will let you know what I think of the book! My mom used to cook ribs in the microwave for about 10 minutes to seal in the moisture before she took them out to finish them on the grill, so it sounds like it'll be a similar method of making really tender ribs I know she always took them out of the microwave and they looked all greyish brown and weird... but man were they ever the best ribs anyone's ever had! Can I just say I'm beyond glad this WOE lets me have ribs again? I always stayed away from them because they were too fatty before... let me at 'em!

I'm definitely interested in Guy's BBQ sauce too... that's going to be one of my first purchases from Netrition pretty soon. I hear it's really good. You'll have to let us know how you like it if you buy it. I'm kind of stumped on which type to get, so I might get a couple
Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1410
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 19, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,270

Fat: 190
Pro: 113
Car: 30

74/21/5

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, jalapeno, cabbage, broth [bouillon, bacon grease, butter].
Dinner: Sausage, cheese, onions, jalapeno.
Closed Thread