Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #1351
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
That is great! I served in the Army for 6 years and I am a big fan of military service. How far out is your enlistment date? It is a good idea to try to be in shape before joining. Basic training is a big enough challenge without having drill instructors on your neck for being an out of shape slob lol.

You know, Paleo without the 'must eat organic' mandate would probably fit military service better than NK. At least through basic and then advanced training (school) since you have little control over what is available to eat.

Another thing to consider is that entering boot camp in a glycogen depleted state (LC) without having control of your menu is going to make performance a challenge I think.

Maybe do NK for weight loss and then transition to Paleo well before entrance into the military.

I think I'd try 1800 calories to start. No health issues or meds right?

Look into Body By Science for working out. A very short, very intense, once a week strength focused workout fits NK like a glove. You'll have to train for running but I'd put that off till you get a lot closer to your enlistment date.

You are going to have to do some active thinking about how to deal with the situation of being out with friends, particularly since you are joining the service and your friends are going to want you to go out with them more as the day approaches. Maybe fun stuff that doesn't involve food or bars. They are generally going to defer to what you want to do.

Good advice from reddarin on the military stuff. My doc actually wanted me to start this diet at the end of January, but I had 3 weeks of Army pre-mobilization training to attend right after that (our mission got off-ramped which is why I'm not mobilized right now). It was very difficult to eat low carb during that training for several reasons: 1) availability of low carb options--the military feeds troops high carb fuel on purpose; 2) we had to eat MREs at least once a day (and those are high carb always); and 3) length and intensity of training made it very difficult physically, especially during that initial phase of the diet. So I really didn't follow the carb guidelines strictly until I got back from that training. Boot camp and AIT is going to be tougher physically than what I went through, so the NK for weight loss and transition to Paleo advice from reddarin seems best for success to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #1352
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Weigh-in the same at 156 this morning, but so glad not to see a bounce after the stress of being treated like garbage by my roommate yesterday and finding out some bad news about my SO again.

Good news though? I'm a happy person right now after my recent shopping trip I just managed to find a 4 pack of angus ribeye steaks (nice and fatty looking mmmm ) on manager's markdown from $45 to under $20! Looks like it'll be good eating for me pretty soon! I may freeze some for grilling season, but I'm not sure how good steaks are after they've been frozen... memory serves that they turn some funky brownish color, and I usually cook mine to medium rare. But I'm really not sure if freezing will affect the quality much or not.

I'll probably have to at least TRY it anyway because I doubt I'll eat 4 steaks in a couple days... I COULD, but my protein intake would be insane
Bad stuff comes in threes so you are good to go for a while

Wow! Great find on the meat! Steaks are fine frozen as long as they don't get freezer burn. That could be a problem if they are in a freezer that is opened often but a chest freezer that isn't opened frequently works good. Just put it in the fridge to thaw for a day or two. I always set my steaks out for at least an hour before cooking and I use the salt technique on them whether they are choice or select.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #1353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
I haven't been adding cocoa but I probably will sometime for a change. Do you make your own coconut butter?
No, I bought a small jar of the Artsana brand at my local grocery store! It wasn't too expensive. I don't think I care for it as I eat so much CO. To much coconut!! However, I do love the CO, especially with the KG butter and hwc in my coffee every morning!!! I love the cocoa powder in my fat bombs. I add liquid Splenda and a dash of salt along with some vanilla...a yummy candy treat!
May
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #1354
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
I experience that weird arrhythmia sensation occasionally too. Apparently it is not uncommon with VLC in general and it is something that is mentioned by well informed people that are not fans of ketogenic diets.

Outside of actual disease it appears to be an acute mineral imbalance if I was reading right.
I have that too!
May
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #1355
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
No, I bought a small jar of the Artsana brand at my local grocery store! It wasn't too expensive. I don't think I care for it as I eat so much CO. To much coconut!! However, I do love the CO, especially with the KG butter and hwc in my coffee every morning!!! I love the cocoa powder in my fat bombs. I add liquid Splenda and a dash of salt along with some vanilla...a yummy candy treat!
May
I'll have to try the fat bombs like that. Sounds wonderful!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #1356
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Bad stuff comes in threes so you are good to go for a while

Wow! Great find on the meat! Steaks are fine frozen as long as they don't get freezer burn. That could be a problem if they are in a freezer that is opened often but a chest freezer that isn't opened frequently works good. Just put it in the fridge to thaw for a day or two. I always set my steaks out for at least an hour before cooking and I use the salt technique on them whether they are choice or select.
Awww, I sure hope so! SO has an appointment to start getting things taken care of on their end FINALLY on Wednesday so I'm hoping that'll at least lead to good things there

I have to admit, I never used the salt technique so I'm kind of nervous about it... but I'm willing to give it a shot! I wonder how much sodium remains though, because I am one of those people who have to watch sodium

And you know, that's probably what happened to all the beef I bought in the past actually! I used to wrap it and put it in my main freezer, but I have a spare now (not a chest, but it's the one for longer term storage that doesn't get used very often) so I might stash it in there and see how it goes. I also finally bought proper freezer paper (that stuff is expensive, yikes!) so hopefully that'll stop the freezer burn too. Thanks for the tips on the steaks... I don't cook them too often myself, so I'm usually completely lost on what to do with them
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #1357
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 194.8 back down two pounds lol but still up .3 from the new low day before yesterday.
Hooray!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #1358
Major LCF Poster!

What is the rule of thumb for protein per ounce of meat? Would approximately 7g of protein per ounce of ribeye steak be the right approximation? I'm definitely not used to cooking my own steaks, so I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to track what I'm eating... the tracker I use is just all over the place with numbers for them
Old 04-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #1359
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
Sounds like a great way to spend time with your DD??

Do you like the Hunger Games? They did a good job, I thought. I read the books.
May
I just watched "Tomorrow, When The War Began" yesterday. The movie had its weaknesses but I liked it. The idea is very similar to Red Dawn but don't mention that to fans of the books lol.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #1360
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
What is the rule of thumb for protein per ounce of meat? Would approximately 7g of protein per ounce of ribeye steak be the right approximation? I'm definitely not used to cooking my own steaks, so I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to track what I'm eating... the tracker I use is just all over the place with numbers for them
I made a custom entry for my logger and the nutritional stuff I put in was for 8g of protein an ounce. I think I got that from the nutritiondata self site. I like that site for nutrition info because it really shows a lot of detail.

But that is correct, 7g per ounce is the rule of thumb
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #1361
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't experiment with the salt thing with your angus steaks. Give it a try with some cheap marked down select steak some time.

Alton Brown has a clip on youtube that shows the most awesome way to cook a steak if you can't grill it. You have to have a cast iron skillet and a ventahood. But it comes out almost as good as a grilled steak and sometimes better than a grilled steak.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #1362
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
WI at 138.7 today. Down 2 lbs?!? It was about time I guess.

I'm surprised at the loss because I danced myself to the point of nausea in this crazy hip-hop dance fitness class last night. Like nausea for hours after w/ a headache. I ate, took some salt, drank tons of water, and took my magnesium powder stuff.
I figured there would be no loss today. Yay for surprises!
Hooray!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #1363
Blabbermouth!!!

Boy, lots of bouncers this morning
Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #1364
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
It's PSMF - protein sparing modified fast. I had the same book from Lyle McDonald and tried the diet years ago. It's very low carb, low fat, moderate protein. I think there was a calorie limit, but I could not stick with it for more than 2 weeks. It isn't meant to be used long term like NK.

PSMF might be helpful to someone who is stalled, as an alternative to a fat fast.
Quote:
Interesting. There are some people around here that do something like that but refer to it as NK.

But D! NK is high fat not low fat...?

the PSMF sounds like what people who are using HCG on the weight loss phase1.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #1365
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, Dr. Robbins recommends 2xRDA which is about 800mg of magnesium.
I use a powdered mag citrate supplement that you dissolve in hot water every night. I use a very heaping soup spoon so I probably get close to 1000 mg every day. No bathroom issues to complain of.

That doesn't count anything I get from other food sources.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #1366
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Morning! Happy Friday!
Okay so I am stoked! I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 0.6 from yesterday! I am amazed that adding fat and calories is sending me in the right direction!

My numbers for yesterday wound up being 1499 cal/30g carb/108g fat/102g protein. Protein still a little high and fat a little low but much closer...plus I seem to be losing!

I made my first batch of fat bombs last night...coconut oil, peanut butter, coconut milk...it was okay but I was hoping for a creamier consistency. I might melt them down tonite and add cream cheese. I think that would make them better. I didn't tell DH what they were. I just told him it was diet food. Not sure he's ready to hear about fat bombs!

I have a question: Why do you all count total carbs instead of net carbs?
putting softened butter in your fat bombs will definitely make them creamier.

I love to eat a 50:50 mix of soft butter and peanut butter, kind of like a deconstructed fat bomb.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #1367
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xxmotogurlxx
I haven't enlisted yet. I am going to MEPS at the end of the month (if I can get this weight I gained over the weekend off). This morning I was down 2 pounds from yesterday..yay. My guess is I won't actually ship to bootcamp until sometime next year because of the backlog. I also have a packet in for officer, so I'm not sure what will happen with that. It is all kind of a waiting game.

I def want to get my weight down before I ship for the AF! I actually just made friends with one of the guys in the AF here stationed at the base near my house....so he is going to help me prepare for the PFT's and such. I just ordered that book from amazon, so if you say it works, I believe you!

I plan to switch to Paleo well before I ship..I'm using NK as a way to get the weight down. I have no health problems what so ever..lol guess I'm extremely lucky. Went to the DR a few months ago and they were impressed with all my numbers for being so overweight....that leads me to another question...do I have to worry about any blood count stuff? I don't want to show up to MEPS and all my counts be thrown off by eating all this high fat stuff. I'm not really worried about it...but in the back of my mind it sits there as my physical gets closer!

Thanks for all the advice! Oh, I noticed that you recommend taking mag citrate...do you have a brand you recommend? Also what about a multi-vit brand? I currently take the walmart womens daily one...is that good enough?

Thanks!

Quote:
That is great! I served in the Army for 6 years and I am a big fan of military service. How far out is your enlistment date? It is a good idea to try to be in shape before joining. Basic training is a big enough challenge without having drill instructors on your neck for being an out of shape slob lol.

You know, Paleo without the 'must eat organic' mandate would probably fit military service better than NK. At least through basic and then advanced training (school) since you have little control over what is available to eat.

Another thing to consider is that entering boot camp in a glycogen depleted state (LC) without having control of your menu is going to make performance a challenge I think.

Maybe do NK for weight loss and then transition to Paleo well before entrance into the military.

I think I'd try 1800 calories to start. No health issues or meds right?

Look into Body By Science for working out. A very short, very intense, once a week strength focused workout fits NK like a glove. You'll have to train for running but I'd put that off till you get a lot closer to your enlistment date.

You are going to have to do some active thinking about how to deal with the situation of being out with friends, particularly since you are joining the service and your friends are going to want you to go out with them more as the day approaches. Maybe fun stuff that doesn't involve food or bars. They are generally going to defer to what you want to do.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #1368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
putting softened butter in your fat bombs will definitely make them creamier.

I love to eat a 50:50 mix of soft butter and peanut butter, kind of like a deconstructed fat bomb.
Mmm...that sounds decadent! DH would think I've gone over the edge if he saw me mixing PB and butter!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #1369
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
But D! NK is high fat not low fat...?.
A little bit facetious on my part. I mean the belief that if a high fat, moderate protein, low carb plan is good then a low to moderate fat, moderate protein, low carb approach has to be superior.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #1370
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Do any of you feel thirsty even though you drink a lot of water?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #1371
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mmm...that sounds decadent! DH would think I've gone over the edge if he saw me mixing PB and butter!

don't let him see you
Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #1372
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A little bit facetious on my part. I mean the belief that if a high fat, moderate protein, low carb plan is good then a low to moderate fat, moderate protein, low carb approach has to be superior.

Gotcha!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #1373
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Don't experiment with the salt thing with your angus steaks. Give it a try with some cheap marked down select steak some time.

Alton Brown has a clip on youtube that shows the most awesome way to cook a steak if you can't grill it. You have to have a cast iron skillet and a ventahood. But it comes out almost as good as a grilled steak and sometimes better than a grilled steak.
Good call! I bet the angus steaks will be delicious all on their own

I wish I could use that technique, but I live in an apartment and almost ANY way of cooking a steak sets off our smoke alarm... it's such a pain I put a bacon wrapped sirloin in my oven on broil for a few minutes a couple months back at 4am (random late night snack attack ) and the whole place was smoked up so bad my roommate thought the apartment was on fire
Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #1374
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Good call! I bet the angus steaks will be delicious all on their own

I wish I could use that technique, but I live in an apartment and almost ANY way of cooking a steak sets off our smoke alarm... it's such a pain I put a bacon wrapped sirloin in my oven on broil for a few minutes a couple months back at 4am (random late night snack attack ) and the whole place was smoked up so bad my roommate thought the apartment was on fire
lol

Then AB's technique is out of the question. I don't have a ventahood here and it flat smokes the place out. I have to open the front door and put a fan there to try to evacuate the smoke.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #1375
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Do any of you feel thirsty even though you drink a lot of water?
Sometimes. Especially when I first get up. I usually drink a couple of bottles of water within an hour and a half. The first bottle leaves me still thirsty.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #1376
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Moto,

Do you have your bachelors already? Are you applying to go to OCS? Its way different from boot camp, isn't it?

I don't know anything about the AF though, I'm a Navy brat. My boyfriend is a submarine officer
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #1377
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
I haven't enlisted yet. I am going to MEPS at the end of the month (if I can get this weight I gained over the weekend off). This morning I was down 2 pounds from yesterday..yay. !
Hooray on the two pounds!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #1378
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xxmotogurlxx
Yes, I have my bachelors and I am going to apply to OTS. I have to make weight first to complete my package. I would love to earn a commission, however I feel like my package is not very strong though as I don't have much leadership experience. Really, the only thing going for me is my graduating GPA lol. But I'm at least submitting it to say I tried. The AF has what they call a dual track program. So I will submit my package and pretty much enlist at the same time. If I get picked up as an officer, the enlistment part stops and I go to OTS. If not, then I enlist and still join the AF!

Yes, OTS is completely different! There are still physical standards though, and they are harder than enlisted bootcamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Moto,

Do you have your bachelors already? Are you applying to go to OCS? Its way different from boot camp, isn't it?

I don't know anything about the AF though, I'm a Navy brat. My boyfriend is a submarine officer

Last edited by xxmotogurlxx; 04-19-2013 at 02:01 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #1379
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
lol

Then AB's technique is out of the question. I don't have a ventahood here and it flat smokes the place out. I have to open the front door and put a fan there to try to evacuate the smoke.
I don't have a ventahood either unfortunately... I DO have one of those kitchen fan things attached to my microwave that's above the stove, but instead of sucking the smoke IN it just blows it OUT toward the smoke alarm. Make sense of THAT design

It looks like it'll be the George Foreman for me unfortunately, since that's the only thing I can use indoors that I've found won't smoke the place up I feel like I'm committing some sort of ribeye blasphemy by using it, but at least whatever fat gets cooked off in the few minutes I'll have it cooking on there can just go back into the pan I'm planning on melting some butter in to make a sauce. I'm thinking the drippings + butter + some minced garlic + HWC might make for a yummy sauce... wish I had something to thicken it a bit more though
Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1380
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
WI at 138.7 today. Down 2 lbs?!? It was about time I guess.
Yeah!

Quote:
Morning! Happy Friday!
Okay so I am stoked! I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 0.6 from yesterday! I am amazed that adding fat and calories is sending me in the right direction!
yahoo, love to hear that adding fat and calories brings weight loss!
Closed Thread