Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #1321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Today's numbers

Calories 1517
Pro 53g. 14%
Carb 15g. 4%
Fat 141g. 82%

I have a scoop of butter in a little bowl I'm eating w/a spoon
BP coffee X 2
Beef patty
Fat bomb
Dijon salmon
Roasted cauliflower
Soda float

My menu doesn't change a lot. Makes it easy and I'm lazy right now!
Hi Janette,

How do you make your fat bombs? Do you use coconut butter and coconut oil?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #1322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Thanks for the info on magnesium, guys!
I'll go buy some if this ten inches of snow we got yesterday melts enough for me to make it out the door. Ahh, April! Such a lovely month.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #1323
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
Hi Janette,

How do you make your fat bombs? Do you use coconut butter and coconut oil?
Hey Bernsy, I use equal parts coconut oil, butter and almond butter. I used salted kerrygold butter and its so yummy!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #1324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
I have the same question because I have that sometimes too.
Do you take potassium supplement Deb?
I get that too! Sometimes it's after a bit of dark chocolate and almond butter, so I thought it might be an insulin response. Then again, sometimes it happens when I haven't had anything with carbs.

I don't take potassium because I take spironolactone for acne (it's a BP med though).
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #1325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
WI at 138.7 today. Down 2 lbs?!? It was about time I guess.

I'm surprised at the loss because I danced myself to the point of nausea in this crazy hip-hop dance fitness class last night. Like nausea for hours after w/ a headache. I ate, took some salt, drank tons of water, and took my magnesium powder stuff.
I figured there would be no loss today. Yay for surprises!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #1326
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
WOE: NK
Morning! Happy Friday!
Okay so I am stoked! I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 0.6 from yesterday! I am amazed that adding fat and calories is sending me in the right direction!

My numbers for yesterday wound up being 1499 cal/30g carb/108g fat/102g protein. Protein still a little high and fat a little low but much closer...plus I seem to be losing!

I made my first batch of fat bombs last night...coconut oil, peanut butter, coconut milk...it was okay but I was hoping for a creamier consistency. I might melt them down tonite and add cream cheese. I think that would make them better. I didn't tell DH what they were. I just told him it was diet food. Not sure he's ready to hear about fat bombs!

I have a question: Why do you all count total carbs instead of net carbs?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #1327
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I experience that weird arrhythmia sensation occasionally too. Apparently it is not uncommon with VLC in general and it is something that is mentioned by well informed people that are not fans of ketogenic diets.

Outside of actual disease it appears to be an acute mineral imbalance if I was reading right.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #1328
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post

I'm surprised at the loss because I danced myself to the point of nausea in this crazy hip-hop dance fitness class last night. Like nausea for hours after w/ a headache. I ate, took some salt, drank tons of water, and took my magnesium powder stuff.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #1329
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Morning! Happy Friday!
Okay so I am stoked! I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 0.6 from yesterday! I am amazed that adding fat and calories is sending me in the right direction!

My numbers for yesterday wound up being 1499 cal/30g carb/108g fat/102g protein. Protein still a little high and fat a little low but much closer...plus I seem to be losing!

I made my first batch of fat bombs last night...coconut oil, peanut butter, coconut milk...it was okay but I was hoping for a creamier consistency. I might melt them down tonite and add cream cheese. I think that would make them better. I didn't tell DH what they were. I just told him it was diet food. Not sure he's ready to hear about fat bombs!

congrats on loss!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #1330
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Morning! Happy Friday!

Hooray!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #1331
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Check out this thread:

net carbs vs total carbs for NK: question.

But the long and short of it is...

From page 3 of The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living:
What Does "Low Carbohydrate" Mean?

There are two ways to define the threshold below which you are eating a "low carbohydrate" diet. The first is defined by what you as an individual perceive - it is that level of carbohydrate intake (be it 25 grams per day or 125 grams per day) below which your signs and symptoms of carbohydrate intolerance resolve.
From page 4:
Defining 'Nutritional Ketosis'

The second way to define 'low carbohydrate' is physiologic - specifically that level below which there is a fundamental shift in your body's fuel homeostasis (i.e., energy regulation) away from glucose as a primary fuel. This shift is the adaptation of the body's hormonal set and inter-organ fuel exchange to allow most of your daily energy needs to be met by fat, either directly as fatty acids or indirectly by ketone bodies made from fat. This process, which is discussed more fully in Chapter 7, begins for most adults when total carbohydrate is restricted to less than 60 grams per day along with a moderate intake of protein.
So if your goal is simply to abate carb intolerance, and therefore achieve weight loss or maintenance, then net carbs are fine. If your goal is nutritional ketosis then total carbs are important.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #1332
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Apr 19, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 194.8 back down two pounds lol but still up .3 from the new low day before yesterday.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #1333
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Up 2 lbs today (236) but, you know, expected it. Back on plan and will proceed.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #1334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
15 yrs for me in August.
Sometimes I love it. Sometimes
The government is taking over everything and common sense is no longer used as good judgment.
Generation me, me, me, is making taking a toll on our children.
Opps, mini rant there.
I love me some babies too!
I hear you loud and clear! I felt like I was raising the moms along with the little ones! I can only imagine what it is like now!!
May
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #1335
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 194.8 back down two pounds lol but still up .3 from the new low day before yesterday.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #1336
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Up 2 lbs today (236) but, you know, expected it. Back on plan and will proceed.
It'll be gone in no time
Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #1337
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Wahhh, no. Gotta go to the dentist Saturday morning. Had a herbst appliance for it when I was younger, did nothing. When I got x-rays done at my dentist at my first visit a year ago, she came back and said, "Um, are you aware you have no cartilage between your top and bottom jaw on the right side?" Yeah. Probably gonna need a discectomy. Not excited about it.

I have been feeling so crappy the past 2 days, and all I've had to eat are a cup of yogurt in the morning and black coffee throughout the day. Tonight I got a small bit of relief for about an hour and dove into a plate of bacon cheeseburger and fries.

Shame, since I was probably in ketosis from not eating. This place is consistently voted Best Burger in GA, so I'm not complaining.

Do you mind rerunning my numbers for me? I've gained some weight! Haha.

5'4, 133 pounds, x-small frame, 110 goal weight
Lift weights 3x week, run (not far, maybe a couple miles) 2x a week

ALSO, what are yalls thought on Quest bars? I know the overall carbs are pretty high, but net carbs are low. I ordered some for my summer class schedule (away from home from 6A-8P, they will be my lunch).. guess I'll just have to weigh/check ketones, and find out.

Thanks Working through the thread, on page 30 right now.
Sorry you are not feeling the best...I hate going to the dentist!!
May
Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #1338
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Not going to post numbers today. Once a year my DD takes me out to eat. We had a pedi and had my hair cut. AND went to eat fried oysters. Managed to stay away from everything else except salad w/ no dressing. But I had a ball and only once a year. It is the first cheat day in my 3 mo so I will start over tomorrow. Came home to watch the Hunger Games. Outstanding!! Ready for a nap.
Sounds like a great way to spend time with your DD??

Do you like the Hunger Games? They did a good job, I thought. I read the books.
May
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #1339
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Morning! Happy Friday!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #1340
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Ugh, I swear if it's not dad related stress or SO related stress... it's roommate stress. And that's the worst kind, because he's a... well, something I'm not even sure we can say on here. CAN we swear on here anyway? I always wondered, but never asked I think you all get the idea of where I was going with that one though!

Just thought I'd de-stress and pop in here while I'm eating my dinner... it's just nice to be surrounded by people who support you, and don't want to tear you down for their own selfish gains
I am just getting acquainted with you all here. But you are right, this is a wonderful way to help with stress release! I read about your dad, so know that alone is a lot to deal with by itself!! Sorry you are now having roommate problems!!
Take care of yourself! May
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #1341
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Bernsy, I use equal parts coconut oil, butter and almond butter. I used salted kerrygold butter and its so yummy!
Would it work using cream cheese instead of pb? Can it be just coconut oil or coconut butter and cream cheese? - have to check the threads for recipe. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #1342
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
Would it work using cream cheese instead of pb? Can it be just coconut oil or coconut butter and cream cheese? - have to check the threads for recipe. Thanks!
I haven't had coconut butter yet but I've heard of others using it.
Look for cream cheese clouds
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #1343
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
I guess I want to be at about 150 when I'm finished...maybe a little higher. I'm not sure, I want to see what I look like. LOL I've never been at that low of a weight, I'm a little worried I might look funny. I don't currently do a whole lot of working out...I do go to zumba class and burn about 500 calories in the hour. But its not really "hard" and I don't work up too much of a sweat. Other than that, I am a nanny so I run around with kids all day but again not THAT active. I am joining the Air Force...so soon I will HAVE to start working out to be able to survive bootcamp. But that is mostly situps, pushups and a timed run.

I am actually not a fan of sweet stuff. Not sure why I had this crazy obsession with fro-yo for a while. I don't even like yogurt! haha. I don't like chocolate. My downfall is starbursts...lol. We had some friends come to down and we headed up to the mountains for the weekend. Everything in the small town was homemade and yummy from the little mom and pop shops and I felt the need to sample everything blah. I felt like crap all weekend too! I don't even know why I kept eating the junk after the first bit of ice cream I had. I was bloated and gassy and seriously in pain before bed...yet the next morning french toast with a big ol' helping of syrup made its way into my mouth...that was not fun. I learned my lesson...

I upped my calories today, what do you think I should keep them around? I am thinking 1600..does that seem about right?
That is great! I served in the Army for 6 years and I am a big fan of military service. How far out is your enlistment date? It is a good idea to try to be in shape before joining. Basic training is a big enough challenge without having drill instructors on your neck for being an out of shape slob lol.

You know, Paleo without the 'must eat organic' mandate would probably fit military service better than NK. At least through basic and then advanced training (school) since you have little control over what is available to eat.

Another thing to consider is that entering boot camp in a glycogen depleted state (LC) without having control of your menu is going to make performance a challenge I think.

Maybe do NK for weight loss and then transition to Paleo well before entrance into the military.

I think I'd try 1800 calories to start. No health issues or meds right?

Look into Body By Science for working out. A very short, very intense, once a week strength focused workout fits NK like a glove. You'll have to train for running but I'd put that off till you get a lot closer to your enlistment date.

You are going to have to do some active thinking about how to deal with the situation of being out with friends, particularly since you are joining the service and your friends are going to want you to go out with them more as the day approaches. Maybe fun stuff that doesn't involve food or bars. They are generally going to defer to what you want to do.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #1344
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Weigh-in the same at 156 this morning, but so glad not to see a bounce after the stress of being treated like garbage by my roommate yesterday and finding out some bad news about my SO again.

Good news though? I'm a happy person right now after my recent shopping trip I just managed to find a 4 pack of angus ribeye steaks (nice and fatty looking mmmm ) on manager's markdown from $45 to under $20! Looks like it'll be good eating for me pretty soon! I may freeze some for grilling season, but I'm not sure how good steaks are after they've been frozen... memory serves that they turn some funky brownish color, and I usually cook mine to medium rare. But I'm really not sure if freezing will affect the quality much or not.

I'll probably have to at least TRY it anyway because I doubt I'll eat 4 steaks in a couple days... I COULD, but my protein intake would be insane
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #1345
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post

Woohoo!!
May
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #1346
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Small bounce to 133.5 this morning, but I bet if I wait to weigh in tomorrow after my 12-mile long run, it will be lower

Got blood drawn for labs today in prep for my doc visit Tuesday morning. I'm interested to see if my blood glucose is down and what my cholesterol numbers look like after 1.5 months on this diet.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #1347
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Do you add cocoa to your fat bombs?? I like the sound of the almond butter, I was using coconut butter with the CO and it was too much coconut flavor for me.
Plus, I add some vanilla to mine.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #1348
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
Do you add cocoa to your fat bombs?? I like the sound of the almond butter, I was using coconut butter with the CO and it was too much coconut flavor for me.
Plus, I add some vanilla to mine.
I haven't been adding cocoa but I probably will sometime for a change. Do you make your own coconut butter?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #1349
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Morning! Happy Friday!

Congrats!! May
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #1350
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Happy for you!
May
Closed Thread