Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #1291
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post

We have such a great group of people here.
That we do! I know you all have saved me time and time again... I love our little LCF family

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #1292
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Good to know I'm pretty much within a good range with what I'm doing... I've just been experimenting and playing it by ear with supplements so far I usually take one 99mg a day in pill form, and I get up to another 99mg from ACV and other sources daily that I've added. When it's my TOM I add another 99mg pill because I feel like it does me extra good during that time, and I think I read somewhere that women's bodies flush out more electrolytes during that time too... although I could be wrong about that. I do think it's helped me a lot though, and I've never heard anything about supplementing potassium in reasonable amounts being dangerous if you're not on BP meds
I googled it a minute ago and it is possible to OD on it but it'd have to be hard to do that on LC with all the bathroom trips iykwim.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #1293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Lola Come on back

Do you have to count calories or anything with PMSF?

Congrats on the 12 pounds!!
It's PSMF - protein sparing modified fast. I had the same book from Lyle McDonald and tried the diet years ago. It's very low carb, low fat, moderate protein. I think there was a calorie limit, but I could not stick with it for more than 2 weeks. It isn't meant to be used long term like NK.

PSMF might be helpful to someone who is stalled, as an alternative to a fat fast.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #1294
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Not going to post numbers today. Once a year my DD takes me out to eat. We had a pedi and had my hair cut. AND went to eat fried oysters. Managed to stay away from everything else except salad w/ no dressing. But I had a ball and only once a year. It is the first cheat day in my 3 mo so I will start over tomorrow. Came home to watch the Hunger Games. Outstanding!! Ready for a nap.
A special occasion is a special occasion

Sounds like ya'll had a good time!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #1295
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I googled it a minute ago and it is possible to OD on it but it'd have to be hard to do that on LC with all the bathroom trips iykwim.
I definitely know what you mean I'm guessing the amount would have to be pretty significant though... that's why I was saying in reasonable amounts. I know I'd never try anything above 400mg, and I'd likely never go beyond 2 pills and some ACV anyway. So I think I'm safe

That's good to know though, for those of us out there who might not be familiar with how much to take!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #1296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Wow! What is the recovery time for an operation like that? Maybe you could just work a deal with the insurance company and get an XBox 360 instead.

75g protein and about 1700 calories Casey. What level of calories were you at before things got hectic a few weeks ago?

Checking ketones is the only way you'd know for sure what impact those bars would have on you. Well, you might also find out if your workouts get dramatically harder to maintain. If you are keto-adapted and they push your ketone levels down you won't have a lot of extra energy for the exercise.

You should have given the bun and fries to a frenemy. Like Mr. Burns and the poison donut lol.

The Simpsons - Mr Burns' Poison Donut - YouTube
Recovery time is 3 weeks-3 months. Varies. I had pretty extensive UVPPP surgery a couple years ago, where all I was able to consume for 15 days post-surgery was Powerade Zero. Lost about 20 pounds.

I was eating VLC (mostly), no wheat, sugar, weird additives, starch, etc.. but I wasn't measuring. Was also eating lots of veggies--began a love affair with curry powder. I have been absent from the board for a few weeks because I unfortunately fell back into a unhealthy eating pattern as a stress response to school. I reckon I was eating about 600 calories a day, but had been working out like a psycho for a few weeks, just working out stress. It did not do my body any good. Or my mind. Working on getting that all sorted out now.

I'm sorry, I see my numbers are the same. Guess I'm eating for goal weight then, not current weight, right?

I will see how my jaw feels tomorrow, am going to start the day off with some coffee and broth, both with HWC. Crunchy things are absolutely out at this point-- definitely no macadamia nuts.

Oh I forgot to add, as far as workouts are going-- I have been running ALOT lately, but only lifted weights once last week. Today (working out w/ about 400 total calories taken in over the past 2 days).. I was able to bench 50 pounds for the first time ever. So weird! Must've been adrenaline.

Last edited by mizzcase; 04-18-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #1297
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
It's PSMF - protein sparing modified fast. I had the same book from Lyle McDonald and tried the diet years ago. It's very low carb, low fat, moderate protein. I think there was a calorie limit, but I could not stick with it for more than 2 weeks. It isn't meant to be used long term like NK.

PSMF might be helpful to someone who is stalled, as an alternative to a fat fast.
Interesting. There are some people around here that do something like that but refer to it as NK.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #1298
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
If you take BP meds you have to be careful and check with your doctor first. Really, any health condition needs to be checked against each supplement you consider taking.

I never heard anything bad about potassium until that doctor in Carriers was doing a mercy killing with a super dose of potassium in the koolaid for those kids that were gonna die.

As far as I know any old brand of potassium is good. Supplements only come in 99mg doses so if the bottle says something different double check what you are getting. It is real inexpensive on line or at a big box store.
Thanks Darin. I'll look for that.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #1299
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Off subject-do any of you watch Southland?
I just got my season two DVDs in the mail! So I'm way, way behind those of you watching live but I loved season one.

Back on topic...
how much magnesium should I be taking? I've never taken any sort of supplement. I'm kinda skeptical of the whole thing, tbh.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #1300
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Recovery time is 3 weeks-3 months. Varies. I had pretty extensive UVPPP surgery a couple years ago, where all I was able to consume for 15 days post-surgery was Powerade Zero. Lost about 20 pounds.

I was eating VLC (mostly), no wheat, sugar, weird additives, starch, etc.. but I wasn't measuring. Was also eating lots of veggies--began a love affair with curry powder. I have been absent from the board for a few weeks because I unfortunately fell back into a unhealthy eating pattern as a stress response to school. I reckon I was eating about 600 calories a day, but had been working out like a psycho for a few weeks, just working out stress. It did not do my body any good. Or my mind. Working on getting that all sorted out now.

I'm sorry, I see my numbers are the same. Guess I'm eating for goal weight then, not current weight, right?

I will see how my jaw feels tomorrow, am going to start the day off with some coffee and broth, both with HWC. Crunchy things are absolutely out at this point-- definitely no macadamia nuts.

Oh I forgot to add, as far as workouts are going-- I have been running ALOT lately, but only lifted weights once last week. Today (working out w/ about 400 total calories taken in over the past 2 days).. I was able to bench 50 pounds for the first time ever. So weird! Must've been adrenaline.
Hmmm. Workouts throw calorie guestimates out the window sort of. I'd start with where you were before and go up or down from there Casey. But, yes, numbers are based on reference weight.

It might be tough to get enough to eat with just really soft food.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #1301
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
I just got my season two DVDs in the mail! So I'm way, way behind those of you watching live but I loved season one.

Back on topic...
how much magnesium should I be taking? I've never taken any sort of supplement. I'm kinda skeptical of the whole thing, tbh.
I used to be too honestly... I used to think that anything that was worth having in my system could be gotten through food. DEFINITELY not the case on a restricted carb diet at the very least, and not the case for most Americans either. Most of us have deficiencies that aren't covered simply by a multi-vitamin or by our diets

I take 350mg daily myself, the bulk of which is at night. My pills come in 250mg doses, but there's also 50mg of it in each multi... and I take that twice a day. Some people take more, some take less. I'd say start with a 250mg capsule and see if that helps you... if not, you can up it by a half or a whole pill. The worst case scenario is you might have loose stools if you take a little too much, in which case you dial it back down a bit. But I've been fine at 350mg a day, and it's been helping keep things regular and it's been helping with my sleep too. I find I get less panicky in stress situations since taking it too, and I don't feel so depressed and hopeless either anymore which is nice and I can't attribute to much else
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #1302
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post

Back on topic...
Get this podcast and listen to it for sure - google 'jimmy moore robbins magnesium'. Coconut oil is my favorite miracle fat and magnesium is my favorite miracle mineral.

For other supplements, check out this podcast - google 'jimmy moore bowden vitamins'.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #1303
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, Dr. Robbins recommends 2xRDA which is about 800mg of magnesium.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #1304
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I used to be too honestly... I used to think that anything that was worth having in my system could be gotten through food. DEFINITELY not the case on a restricted carb diet at the very least, and not the case for most Americans either. Most of us have deficiencies that aren't covered simply by a multi-vitamin or by our diets

I take 350mg daily myself, the bulk of which is at night. My pills come in 250mg doses, but there's also 50mg of it in each multi... and I take that twice a day. Some people take more, some take less. I'd say start with a 250mg capsule and see if that helps you... if not, you can up it by a half or a whole pill. The worst case scenario is you might have loose stools if you take a little too much, in which case you dial it back down a bit. But I've been fine at 350mg a day, and it's been helping keep things regular and it's been helping with my sleep too. I find I get less panicky in stress situations since taking it too, and I don't feel so depressed and hopeless either anymore which is nice and I can't attribute to much else
Totally.

And, boy howdy, that is right about ramping up slowly. Start at 1/4 RDA and increase it over a weeks time or so. If you go from zero to full dose you may spend a little extra time in the bathroom.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #1305
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Thanks Darin. I'll look for that.
Janette, since your food logger doesn't have a line item for potassium and you typically eat a lot of the same foods for your daily menus you can get a good sense of your daily intake by checking the nutrition information for each menu item.

For example, most of the time I eat a ton of cabbage through the week so I know that if I eat 10oz I'm getting about 500mg of potassium from that alone that day.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #1306
Blabbermouth!!!

I have no idea if it is any good but this book is free for Kindle right now:

Caveman Family Favorites: Yummy Paleofied Breakfast Recipes For One Incredible Month [Kindle Edition]
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #1307
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Janette, since your food logger doesn't have a line item for potassium and you typically eat a lot of the same foods for your daily menus you can get a good sense of your daily intake by checking the nutrition information for each menu item.

For example, most of the time I eat a ton of cabbage through the week so I know that if I eat 10oz I'm getting about 500mg of potassium from that alone that day.
Wow, I had no idea cabbage was so high in potassium! I wonder if excess potassium can cause headaches? I'm assuming it could if there's an electrolyte imbalance going on between it and sodium potentially... I say this because the day I had that bad headache before bed, I'd started eating cabbage again this whole week. And that particular day was the last day I'd taken that additional 99mg pill too. With my sodium so low out of necessity and that extra potassium on top of the 4.5-5oz of cabbage I had that day on top of the usual 99mg + whatever's in my ACV and things... I wonder if I might have given myself a nasty imbalance. More food for thought I guess
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #1308
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xxmotogurlxx
Quote:
Hi Welcome to our thread

As Cheryl said, there isn't really a macro ratio for NK. They fall where they may.

Congratulations on kicking butt and losing 60 pounds! Great job!

Your reference weight is around 155-160? I don't advocate exercise of any kind (except perhaps extremely moderate resistance exercise) but do you exercise and if you do what and how much? How active are you?

Yeah, dosing yourself with pure sugar in the form of frozen yogurt while trying to do NK probably isn't a good idea. You might look at the recipes section to find more NK friendly sweets to eat. The 86% and 90% cocoa bars are good for NK in moderation and they are good for you. There are very LC friendly ice cream recipes around here too made from HWC.

Why did you fall off plan over the weekend?
I guess I want to be at about 150 when I'm finished...maybe a little higher. I'm not sure, I want to see what I look like. LOL I've never been at that low of a weight, I'm a little worried I might look funny. I don't currently do a whole lot of working out...I do go to zumba class and burn about 500 calories in the hour. But its not really "hard" and I don't work up too much of a sweat. Other than that, I am a nanny so I run around with kids all day but again not THAT active. I am joining the Air Force...so soon I will HAVE to start working out to be able to survive bootcamp. But that is mostly situps, pushups and a timed run.

I am actually not a fan of sweet stuff. Not sure why I had this crazy obsession with fro-yo for a while. I don't even like yogurt! haha. I don't like chocolate. My downfall is starbursts...lol. We had some friends come to down and we headed up to the mountains for the weekend. Everything in the small town was homemade and yummy from the little mom and pop shops and I felt the need to sample everything blah. I felt like crap all weekend too! I don't even know why I kept eating the junk after the first bit of ice cream I had. I was bloated and gassy and seriously in pain before bed...yet the next morning french toast with a big ol' helping of syrup made its way into my mouth...that was not fun. I learned my lesson...

I upped my calories today, what do you think I should keep them around? I am thinking 1600..does that seem about right?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #1309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
you have no cartilage between your top and bottom jaw on the right side?" Yeah. Probably gonna need a discectomy. Not excited about it.
Oh, ouch. I've been dealing with TMJ for years, but that's truly awful. I've found valerian helps to relax the muscle if it's spasming. How soon do you start treatment?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #1310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
I want to see what I look like. LOL I've never been at that low of a weight, I'm a little worried I might look funny.
I understand what you mean. I'm at the thinnest I've been in my adult life, and I'm having a hard time getting used to the way I look. I keep catching sight of myself in a mirror unexpectedly and starting when I realize that's really me. I can't even conceive of what I'd look like at my goal weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
I am actually not a fan of sweet stuff. Not sure why I had this crazy obsession with fro-yo for a while....My downfall is starbursts...lol.
One word: sugar. The stuff is addictive. Every time I've tried to take a few days off low carb for the holidays, I've binged on sugar, and it takes about 2 weeks of induction to get me back to "lc normal". Plus, I always get the dreaded induction flu. That in itself is enough to keep me away from caving when friends are trying to tempt me with sugary treats. Remember how awful you felt the rest of the weekend and just say no to the candy samples. If you're as bad as I am about sugar addiction, even a few pieces of candy can set you off.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #1311
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Weigh in this morning was 153.2
Not too bad of a bounce since I had trouble sleeping.
Not sure if it was me or my sis driving me crazy but something kept me up half the night.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #1312
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weigh in this morning was 153.2
Not too bad of a bounce since I had trouble sleeping.
Not sure if it was me or my sis driving me crazy but something kept me up half the night.
sorry you didn't sleep good
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #1313
Major LCF Poster!

It looks like avocados have about 450mg potassium and i eat one about every other day. Did you know eggs have potassium but most of it is in the egg white?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #1314
Major LCF Poster!

Surprise! 130
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #1315
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Oh, ouch. I've been dealing with TMJ for years, but that's truly awful. I've found valerian helps to relax the muscle if it's spasming. How soon do you start treatment?
I've got an appointment with my regular dentist tomorrow morning, I will probably get a referral for an oral surgeon from there (those appointments seem to take forever to set up). My problem is I'm so busy with school, I will not have any time to take off even 10 days until I graduate in December. At that point, we will be moving to Texas, so who knows?!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #1316
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Last night I lay in bed with my heart thumping - is that the potassium/salt thing?

Today I made a point of getting extra salt
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #1317
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
Last night I lay in bed with my heart thumping - is that the potassium/salt thing?

I have the same question because I have that sometimes too.
Do you take potassium supplement Deb?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #1318
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post

I have that sometimes too. I blamed iot on CO a few times. Eating CO late in the evening does that to me. But wonder what the other causes are because I had that some last night and thought it was anxiety.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #1319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
I have the same question because I have that sometimes too.
Do you take potassium supplement Deb?
No, you can only get it on prescription here

Quote:
I have that sometimes too. I blamed iot on CO a few times. Eating CO late in the evening does that to me. But wonder what the other causes are because I had that some last night and thought it was anxiety.
it feels like anxiety, but I'm not like that

I didn't eat CO after about 5pm
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #1320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
April 19 Food Log

Yesterdays log ended up being:
1541 cals
126 F
89 P
9C

Todays log looks like this so far. May change dinner from dark chicken shish kebob to beef kebob, we are going to a middle eastern restaurant. Don't want so much chicken today.

1380 cals
110 F
86 P
9 C

B: 1T CO, 2 eggs/1yolk, 12gr butter
L: 6.05oz chicken breast w/skin, 1/4 cup celery, 12gr butter
S: 1oz chedder, 29gr radish, 62gr cucumber
D: 1T CO, 7oz chicken thigh or beef kebob, cauliflower/broccoli
S: 1oz cream cheese maybe

How do I get the cals to 1500?
Closed Thread