Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #1261
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
rdr: I have PCOS too, I've been doing well with a suuplement called Calcium d-glucatate which detoxes estrogren from having estrogen dominance(integral to PCOS). D-glucarate also detoxes estrogens that are released back into the blood stream through draining of the fat cells during fat loss. It prevents the estrogens from being recycled and redeposited into your tissues which would make estrogen dominance and PCOS worse. It helps your liver to detox the estrogens and rid the body of the excess and bad estrogens. You might want to research it a little to see if it interests you. It's working pretty well for me along with my other vitamins.
Huh, I've never heard of that before... I'll have to give it a look, thanks! I am seeing a new doctor pretty soon too for my thyroid and all that good stuff, so I'll have to see what he thinks about it too. Right now I only take my GNC multi (no iron or iodine in it) along with potassium and magnesium extra on the side

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #1262
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Food log for today

Calories 1447

Fat 113 70%
Pro 82 23%
Carb 26 7%

Breakfast / bacon and egg yolks
Lunch / Taco salad w/ Chorizo
Dinner / Fried chicken and cauliflower with cheese
Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #1263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Potassium

Is it nessasary? I've seen it mentioned a few times. And i know this has probably been asked and answered. I take magnesium, multi, biotin, fish oil and vitamin D.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #1264
Major LCF Poster!

Today's numbers

Calories 1517
Pro 53g. 14%
Carb 15g. 4%
Fat 141g. 82%

I have a scoop of butter in a little bowl I'm eating w/a spoon
BP coffee X 2
Beef patty
Fat bomb
Dijon salmon
Roasted cauliflower
Soda float

My menu doesn't change a lot. Makes it easy and I'm lazy right now!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #1265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Is it nessasary? I've seen it mentioned a few times. And i know this has probably been asked and answered. I take magnesium, multi, biotin, fish oil and vitamin D.
Good question! I've heard that sodium and potassium have to be balanced, and since NK increases the need for sodium it seems reasonable that we may need more potassium too. What I don't know is how much more potassium is required.

I use Morton's Lite Salt or add Nu Salt (potassium chloride) to foods that are already high in sodium.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #1266
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do take potassium pills in addition to the potassium I get in my ACV every day, and I think it's been helping me definitely. As lisamt was saying, sodium and potassium kind of go hand in hand but I've really noticed potassium helping with TOM cramping and bloating as well... after increasing my potassium during this past month's I went from having pretty crippling cramps every month (PCOS makes this worse) to literally NO cramps at all this past month. I also only put on 1 pound of water weight this month, versus 4 pounds last month without it
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #1267
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I noticed this morning for the first time in adult memory that I have a jawbone and not just a pudgy double chin!

It didn't hurt that I dropped .5 over night too
Awesome NSV Deb! And hooray on the loss!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #1268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
I am super low on energy today. I was tempted to take a nap when I got home from work, but thought better of it because that usually means I won't sleep later. The tiredness is probably my body protesting at having to get up so early. I'm definitely not a morning person!

Today's numbers: 1721 calories, 88 g protein 139 g fat, 31 g carbs, 14 g fiber.
Breakfast - scrambled eggs with salsa & Mexican cheese blend
Lunch - 2 burger patties with cheddar, half of a LC wrap
Snack - coffee with coconut oil & hwc
Dinner- chocolate cream cheese pudding. Why yes, I am having dessert for dinner.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #1269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Dog on it!!
Maybe it won't be too long.
Thanks!
I understand that you do daycare?? I did daycare for 15 yrs!! I love children, especially the babies!
May
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #1270
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Dog on it!!
Maybe it won't be too long.
Thanks! I hope not!

Cheryl, I understand you have a daycare? I had my own daycare for 15 yrs! Love children especially the babies!
May
Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #1271
Senior LCF Member

I didn't think my reply posted, so therefore, I posted twice! Duh!!
May
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #1272
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
Hey everyone! I have been lurking for a while on here and have a couple questions. I have been doing NK since about Jan. I guess it was kind of half-hearted as during that time I had 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt at least once a week. However I have lost about 25 pounds from it. Last month I did really well with my eating, no cheats. However this weekend was BAD. I can not even begin to talk about the things that passed through my lips (if the whole empty bag of starbursts in the trash is any indication).

Anyways...I have lost about 60 pounds in total on my weight loss journey since July. I started out doing a modified liquid diet, using daily casein protein shakes and very small meals. Then I transitioned to this low carb stuff. I like it much better LOL. But I feel like I am not losing as fast as I was with the controlled liquid diet I was doing. And I wonder if it is because I am not eating enough calories...

According to the info on the front page, I should be eating
(140/2.2)*1.5 = 95g protein a day.

I feel like if I ate this much protein, my calories would be really high and I wouldn't lose?! I'm so confused. Can someone help me figure out what I should eat? When I plugged it into ***, it said I would have a calorie excess and gain if I wanted 80% fat staying at 95g of protein.

I am 5'8 and currently 199.8lbs as of this morning with a medium/large frame. I was down to 193 on friday night..but again had a HORRIBLE weekend..not sure if it is water weight or actual weight.
Hi Welcome to our thread

As Cheryl said, there isn't really a macro ratio for NK. They fall where they may.

Congratulations on kicking butt and losing 60 pounds! Great job!

Your reference weight is around 155-160? I don't advocate exercise of any kind (except perhaps extremely moderate resistance exercise) but do you exercise and if you do what and how much? How active are you?

Yeah, dosing yourself with pure sugar in the form of frozen yogurt while trying to do NK probably isn't a good idea. You might look at the recipes section to find more NK friendly sweets to eat. The 86% and 90% cocoa bars are good for NK in moderation and they are good for you. There are very LC friendly ice cream recipes around here too made from HWC.

Why did you fall off plan over the weekend?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #1273
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 18, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,291

Fat: 201
Pro: 94
Car: 33

78/17/5

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: BLT lettuce wraps [lettuce, bacon, cheese, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, tomato], broth [bouillon, bacon grease, butter].
Dinner: Bacon, onions, jalapeno, bell pepper, cheese.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #1274
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi all! I have been slacking so bad with keeping up on here, school has just been insane...

Have had some TMJ issues this past week, so sticking to liquids mostly. My scale loves it but my psyche hates it.

Going to finish typing up some financial statements, then I'll catch up.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Hi Casey

Hope that goes away soon! Have you seen a doctor?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #1275
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
Thanks for the fast reply! Ok that's great, I was worried I was going to have to start eating like 2500 calories lol. I have always been about 40% protein, maybe even a little higher when I was doing the protein shakes.

I did a fat fast a couple weeks ago and dropped about 6 pounds over 4 days..but I have to say it was HARD getting in all that fat. I see most of you guys drink coffee with HWC, I HATE coffee. Any other ways you can recommend getting enough fat it? Last night I thought about taking a shot of CO...lol but I got scared :P
Bouillon with refined CO and HWC might be a good way to increase fat. I use sour cream with some seasoning in it as a dip for meat sometimes. I make my broth with bouillon, bacon grease and butter.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #1276
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
Thanks! I hope not!

Cheryl, I understand you have a daycare? I had my own daycare for 15 yrs! Love children especially the babies!
May
15 yrs for me in August.
Sometimes I love it. Sometimes
The government is taking over everything and common sense is no longer used as good judgment.
Generation me, me, me, is making taking a toll on our children.
Opps, mini rant there.
I love me some babies too!

Last edited by Clueless; 04-18-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #1277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Casey

Hope that goes away soon! Have you seen a doctor?
Wahhh, no. Gotta go to the dentist Saturday morning. Had a herbst appliance for it when I was younger, did nothing. When I got x-rays done at my dentist at my first visit a year ago, she came back and said, "Um, are you aware you have no cartilage between your top and bottom jaw on the right side?" Yeah. Probably gonna need a discectomy. Not excited about it.

I have been feeling so crappy the past 2 days, and all I've had to eat are a cup of yogurt in the morning and black coffee throughout the day. Tonight I got a small bit of relief for about an hour and dove into a plate of bacon cheeseburger and fries.

Shame, since I was probably in ketosis from not eating. This place is consistently voted Best Burger in GA, so I'm not complaining.

Do you mind rerunning my numbers for me? I've gained some weight! Haha.

5'4, 133 pounds, x-small frame, 110 goal weight
Lift weights 3x week, run (not far, maybe a couple miles) 2x a week

ALSO, what are yalls thought on Quest bars? I know the overall carbs are pretty high, but net carbs are low. I ordered some for my summer class schedule (away from home from 6A-8P, they will be my lunch).. guess I'll just have to weigh/check ketones, and find out.

Thanks Working through the thread, on page 30 right now.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #1278
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Not going to post numbers today. Once a year my DD takes me out to eat. We had a pedi and had my hair cut. AND went to eat fried oysters. Managed to stay away from everything else except salad w/ no dressing. But I had a ball and only once a year. It is the first cheat day in my 3 mo so I will start over tomorrow. Came home to watch the Hunger Games. Outstanding!! Ready for a nap.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #1279
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Not going to post numbers today. Once a year my DD takes me out to eat. We had a pedi and had my hair cut. AND went to eat fried oysters. Managed to stay away from everything else except salad w/ no dressing. But I had a ball and only once a year. It is the first cheat day in my 3 mo so I will start over tomorrow. Came home to watch the Hunger Games. Outstanding!! Ready for a nap.
Sounds like a wonderful day with DD
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #1280
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
Kinda blew it today, I had to leave early and missed breakfast, didn't eat till after 12 (bacon and eggs with coffee), then didn't get home till nearly 5pm and I felt crappy - I tested my Ketones and it barely registered so I tested my BS out of curiosity and it was 5.3.
So I had a bulletproof coffee and yoghurt/cream/nuts, waited an hour, now my ketones are in the middle but BS is exactly the same (which is good I guess)

Clarify this for me, if you hardly eat at all like I did today, shouldn't my ketones rise as I burn body fat? I understand my glucose levels probably rose due to glucogenisis, but I don't get why my ketone levels dropped
Well calories are not tightly tied to ketone production. I know that there are some people that test themselves regularly and eat ~1200 calories, which is very low, have low blood ketone levels like under .5.

Blood ketone levels are tricky. Two people can eat the same stuff and get different results.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #1281
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh, I swear if it's not dad related stress or SO related stress... it's roommate stress. And that's the worst kind, because he's a... well, something I'm not even sure we can say on here. CAN we swear on here anyway? I always wondered, but never asked I think you all get the idea of where I was going with that one though!

Just thought I'd de-stress and pop in here while I'm eating my dinner... it's just nice to be surrounded by people who support you, and don't want to tear you down for their own selfish gains
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #1282
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Wahhh, no. Gotta go to the dentist Saturday morning. Had a herbst appliance for it when I was younger, did nothing. When I got x-rays done at my dentist at my first visit a year ago, she came back and said, "Um, are you aware you have no cartilage between your top and bottom jaw on the right side?" Yeah. Probably gonna need a discectomy. Not excited about it.

I have been feeling so crappy the past 2 days, and all I've had to eat are a cup of yogurt in the morning and black coffee throughout the day. Tonight I got a small bit of relief for about an hour and dove into a plate of bacon cheeseburger and fries.

Shame, since I was probably in ketosis from not eating. This place is consistently voted Best Burger in GA, so I'm not complaining.

Do you mind rerunning my numbers for me? I've gained some weight! Haha.

5'4, 133 pounds, x-small frame, 110 goal weight
Lift weights 3x week, run (not far, maybe a couple miles) 2x a week

ALSO, what are yalls thought on Quest bars? I know the overall carbs are pretty high, but net carbs are low. I ordered some for my summer class schedule (away from home from 6A-8P, they will be my lunch).. guess I'll just have to weigh/check ketones, and find out.

Thanks Working through the thread, on page 30 right now.
Wow! What is the recovery time for an operation like that? Maybe you could just work a deal with the insurance company and get an XBox 360 instead.

75g protein and about 1700 calories Casey. What level of calories were you at before things got hectic a few weeks ago?

Checking ketones is the only way you'd know for sure what impact those bars would have on you. Well, you might also find out if your workouts get dramatically harder to maintain. If you are keto-adapted and they push your ketone levels down you won't have a lot of extra energy for the exercise.

You should have given the bun and fries to a frenemy. Like Mr. Burns and the poison donut lol.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #1283
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW_CARB_LOLA View Post
Hey guys!

I am back! I was in the March/Feb NK group. I reverted to Lyle Mcdonalds PMSF because I was not losing weight on NK diet. I was not being honest with myself and was not counting calories during the NK diet and that may have been why I didn't see results. Regardless, I lost ~ 12 pounds since then, following PMSF. Its really intense and draining so I was thinking of possibly switching it up to NK diet. Just stopped in to say "HEY!" and possibly "see you soon!"
Hi Lola Come on back

Do you have to count calories or anything with PMSF?

Congrats on the 12 pounds!!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #1284
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Well, you don't have to take a supplement but if you don't you should track your potassium with your food logger to make sure you are getting enough daily. Your body will use LBM to get potassium if it has to.

The thing about LC is that you tend to expel a lot of minerals from all the bathroom trips.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #1285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, you don't have to take a supplement but if you don't you should track your potassium with your food logger to make sure you are getting enough daily. Your body will use LBM to get potassium if it has to.

The thing about LC is that you tend to expel a lot of minerals from all the bathroom trips.
Ok. My food logger doesn't give me that info. I don't mind taking a supp if its safe. For some reason I always heard not to mess with potassium?
Any recommendation where to buy and brand?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #1286
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Ugh, I swear if it's not dad related stress or SO related stress... it's roommate stress. And that's the worst kind, because he's a... well, something I'm not even sure we can say on here. CAN we swear on here anyway? I always wondered, but never asked I think you all get the idea of where I was going with that one though!

Just thought I'd de-stress and pop in here while I'm eating my dinner... it's just nice to be surrounded by people who support you, and don't want to tear you down for their own selfish gains

We have such a great group of people here.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #1287
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Good question! I've heard that sodium and potassium have to be balanced, and since NK increases the need for sodium it seems reasonable that we may need more potassium too. What I don't know is how much more potassium is required.

I use Morton's Lite Salt or add Nu Salt (potassium chloride) to foods that are already high in sodium.
I usually take two or three of the 99mg a day. Dr. Eades, on his blog, said he prescribes 400mg for his patients during induction and then 200mg afterwards.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #1288
Major LCF Poster!

Red,
DH and watched that poison donut clip like 8 times.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1289
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ok. My food logger doesn't give me that info. I don't mind taking a supp if its safe. For some reason I always heard not to mess with potassium?
Any recommendation where to buy and brand?
If you take BP meds you have to be careful and check with your doctor first. Really, any health condition needs to be checked against each supplement you consider taking.

I never heard anything bad about potassium until that doctor in Carriers was doing a mercy killing with a super dose of potassium in the koolaid for those kids that were gonna die.

As far as I know any old brand of potassium is good. Supplements only come in 99mg doses so if the bottle says something different double check what you are getting. It is real inexpensive on line or at a big box store.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1290
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I usually take two or three of the 99mg a day. Dr. Eades, on his blog, said he prescribes 400mg for his patients during induction and then 200mg afterwards.
Good to know I'm pretty much within a good range with what I'm doing... I've just been experimenting and playing it by ear with supplements so far I usually take one 99mg a day in pill form, and I get up to another 99mg from ACV and other sources daily that I've added. When it's my TOM I add another 99mg pill because I feel like it does me extra good during that time, and I think I read somewhere that women's bodies flush out more electrolytes during that time too... although I could be wrong about that. I do think it's helped me a lot though, and I've never heard anything about supplementing potassium in reasonable amounts being dangerous if you're not on BP meds
Closed Thread