Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #1231
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Awww well thank you both for the answers! I really appreciate it, and hey... it's always good to hear two different people's opinions too because one person may have a more sensitive palate than the other and vice versa Seems like I'll be trying out some liquid coconut oil or straight up MCT pretty soon. I'm just afraid I'm going to go nuts on Netrition and it'll be like a kid in a candy store... only it'll be a 20-something wanna-be-kid in a health food e-store. Am I the only one who gets really excited shopping at health food stores? I must be getting old!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #1232
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Thank you!! I appreciate the encouragement. I don't think lack of salt is my problem because I get plenty of it at each meal. I suspect it's lack of sleep -- any time I alter my eating plan, I go through a week or so of insomnia. (And geez, I'm sorry you have to limit yours! I love salt. Almost as much as I love fat, )
Awww that's lousy about the insomnia! Do you supplement with magnesium at all? I hear that magnesium really helps the body out with the conversion of melatonin, and it's supposed to help us sleep more soundly at night. It helps us out with a LOT of things actually, but I can attest to the sleep assistance myself! I was a TERRIBLE sleeper before I started my supplements, and now it seems like I sleep 7-8 hours every night pretty regularly if nothing else is going on to keep me up/wake me up

And I'm sorry too! Believe me, I LOVE salt It's so hard some days, especially when I notice I'm already high on salt and low on protein or fat... because THEN what do I eat? Cheese, sauces, LC snack food... all high in salt for the most part. Salad dressings too! It's such a pain, and I hope my body somehow adapts to it eventually and can tolerate more. I really don't know what it is about my body that makes it balloon up with excess salt

Quote:
It does, and I have seen it with my own eyes at our local grocery store! (Which amazed me, because I live in the middle of nowhere and there's all sorts of basic stuff that our grocery store doesn't have.) It looks like it stays liquid because of MCT.

Here you go: Nature's Way Liquid Coconut Oil
Thank you!! I had no idea it even existed before now, so that might be something to look into for me I love CO, but it's a bummer when you don't want anything warm and don't feel like eating it off a spoon
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #1233
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Awww well thank you both for the answers! I really appreciate it, and hey... it's always good to hear two different people's opinions too because one person may have a more sensitive palate than the other and vice versa Seems like I'll be trying out some liquid coconut oil or straight up MCT pretty soon. I'm just afraid I'm going to go nuts on Netrition and it'll be like a kid in a candy store... only it'll be a 20-something wanna-be-kid in a health food e-store. Am I the only one who gets really excited shopping at health food stores? I must be getting old!
I am so happy to know about the liquid CO oil!! It will be nice to have for the summer to use in cold drinks!! I am like you, I already have $70.00 in my shopping cart on Nutrition!!
May
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #1234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 160/157/140 5'5"
WOE: NK
Start Date: 4/16/13
Quote:
Awww that's lousy about the insomnia! Do you supplement with magnesium at all? I hear that magnesium really helps the body out with the conversion of melatonin, and it's supposed to help us sleep more soundly at night. It helps us out with a LOT of things actually, but I can attest to the sleep assistance myself! I was a TERRIBLE sleeper before I started my supplements, and now it seems like I sleep 7-8 hours every night pretty regularly if nothing else is going on to keep me up/wake me up
I have been taking magnesium since starting IP/LC and I am amazed at how much it's helped my sleep! I did a sleep study where they told me that while I had mild apnea, my biggest problem was that I was "almost" waking up about 40 times/hour. They offered me a mask for the apnea but had no suggestions about the waking up! Now I sleep soundly all night!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #1235
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Down to 156 this morning finally! It's a new low for me
Wahoo
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #1236
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
I am upset! I ordered a ketone meter and a box of test strips online...the test strips came in the mail yesterday, but no meter...said it is on back order!!! Wonder how long is that going to take??? Just excited to find out where I am ketosis wise!
May
Dog on it!!
Maybe it won't be too long.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #1237
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi guys!

Okay, I'm doing this. I've been eating HF/MP/LC since Monday and even tracked my foods for the last two days... which is tough for me, but I gritted my teeth and did it. I'm hitting around 70/20/8 each day, so I need to work on lowering my protein a bit and upping the fat. OTOH I believe I'm in ketosis -- for real -- for maybe the first time ever. I feel slightly queasy and head-achy and ugh. I don't remember feeling like this since the very first time I did induction on Atkins. I was eating quite a few carbs (from vegetables) during PB, so I'm not surprised that I don't feel great.

On the bright side, I've already lost the two pounds I gained at the in-laws house over the weekend, so: YAY! While eating lots of calories, too. Man, those fat grams add up fast!
Welcome Knittering, Congrats on the 2 lbs!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #1238
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
I know you're saying, "It's about time".
Exactly what I am saying
It took my body a little while to get with the program.
Boy am I tickled!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1239
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 196.9 wow for a huge bounce! Not shocking because that sort of big bounce after a new low happens often enough to me. I assume it is that blue lava thing happening.
It comes in whooshes doesn't it.
We will sneak over to Becky's house while she is gone and get in on the magic
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #1240
Major LCF Poster!

Amanda,
Where are you?
Hanz and Franz want you to do a workout video with them.

"We are here to PUMP YOU UP!"
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #1241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
AMEN!
Thanks Red for all you do!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
I'll second that, thank you
Darin, I just want to add my thanks to all the above kudos. I think you are the reason why these threads are so lively and long-lived.

KUTGW!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #1242
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yeah, the general trend has been downward... no real unexplained gains or anything like that, it's just been fairly slow going but I guess I can't expect much with a messed up thyroid and a boatload of stress like you were saying

I was just wondering if I STILL might be way off somehow on what my body would be optimized at, calories-wise... so I figured I'd ask the expert and see Some days I know I feel pretty much full when I'm at around 1300 calories (like yesterday) but I always find a place to increase because I remember 1200-1300 wasn't netting me results. Yesterday I wound up eating a couple hard boiled eggs, just because I was supposed to in order to keep up my calories/protein for the day... I really wasn't hungry, just did it for that benefit. Other times I KNOW I could easily eat more than 1500 calories, but stop myself and stay within my boundaries.
rdr: I have PCOS too, I've been doing well with a suuplement called Calcium d-glucatate which detoxes estrogren from having estrogen dominance(integral to PCOS). D-glucarate also detoxes estrogens that are released back into the blood stream through draining of the fat cells during fat loss. It prevents the estrogens from being recycled and redeposited into your tissues which would make estrogen dominance and PCOS worse. It helps your liver to detox the estrogens and rid the body of the excess and bad estrogens. You might want to research it a little to see if it interests you. It's working pretty well for me along with my other vitamins.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #1243
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
Wow! I stayed up late last night reading this entire post!! Great info here!! You guys are wonderful!!
I was discouraged because I had gained a lb even though my keto sticks were showing purple! Someone suggested to read this post and I glad I did!

I am also happy to report, I lost the lb I had gained this morning!

Yesterday:
Total calories 2318 ( which was high as my goal is 1800)
Fat. 179 gr. 71%
Prot. 135 gr. 24%
Carb. 25 gr. 5%

I am 63 and 5'9" I currently weigh 205. My goal is 169, the higher end of the weight chart...I think I am medium frame, but need to measure my wrist to find out. I posted before that I had lost 40 lbs on the Dukan diet, but then stalled for ever a year. I love this WOE!!!!! I have ordered the ketone meter and should have it next week...anxious to find out where I am!!
If you don't mind, I would love to join you all here, because I have found a good forum is the best way to keep focused and to be accountable too.
May

the more the merrier...Reddarin is especially knowledgable and helpful here an everyone is really friendly. Hope you enjoy being here with us.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #1244
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Speaking of EVCO, I had a question/thought and I figured I'd throw it out there for us NK-ers to discuss and see what everyone here thinks about it:

I was reading a rather long thread over on the JUDDD board yesterday (actually completely unrelated to EVCO, but they branched off as we're apt to do sometimes ) and they were saying that EVCO is thermogenic, and so it'll never be stored as fat regardless of what you do carb-wise... and because of that it doesn't need to be counted in your daily calorie total necessarily. I saw several JUDDD-ers on there talking about their success with eating a tablespoon of it with every meal WITHOUT counting it, and everyone saw losses like that... some even broke long stalls they were in at the time doing it.

So I guess my question is... considering JUDDD counts calories a lot more closely than we do (at least on down days especially) could this actually be true? And could this method work for NK, to where we'd still be okay eating the same amount of calories while SUBTRACTING the EVCO's calories from our totals? Because I always count it, and limit it because of my calorie allotment for the day. Or could it be that JUDDD-ers just aren't getting what NK/other LC plans consider an adequate amount of calories on a regular basis, and THAT'S why the increase in calories are helping them?

I'd love to think I could enjoy more EVCO and have it burn fat for me without counting it
I used to count my EVCO and my cod liver oil calories but I don't anymore. I was having between 800-1000 calories combined because I was taking 6 tbsp of EVCO and 2 tsp of cod liver oil per day. I'm not having any weight gain because I'm not counting and find the more CO I eat, the better the faster I see even a small drop on the scale....it might be a YMMV kind of thing for each person though.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #1245
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Man, I'm embarrassed that the first thing I thought of when I saw this was "Mmmm ribs! " and then I realized you were talking about HUMAN ribs... not so mmmm anymore!

That IS a good thing though! I know I keep noticing new things too, like I actually have a shape to my neck... and bones in my wrists. Who knew?
I noticed this morning for the first time in adult memory that I have a jawbone and not just a pudgy double chin!

It didn't hurt that I dropped .5 over night too
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #1246
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sounds like a plan! I hope the headaches clear up and you found what's been causing them I almost wonder if that could be my issue too, because while I do get SOME protein at all meals during the day... a majority of it is all at dinner time. Like for instance, yesterday: egg at breakfast, pepperoni and cheese at lunch, egg at night... all minor sources of protein. But at dinner? 8oz of ground meat. So that was almost my day's allotment right there in one meal. Maybe I should be spreading it out more too. I didn't know too little protein during a given window of time could also trigger hypoglycemia. I was thinking maybe my "less than 20 total carbs" was too strict or something, but it's where I do best it seems
sorry about so many posts but I do the opposite and eat most of my protein grams in the morning. I have 50 or more grams of protein at breakfast and then smaller amounts for lunch(if I eat it) and dinner. I seem to not have issues with any hypoglycemia symptoms anymore tho I think it mainly has to do with not using whey shakes anymore but casein instead.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #1247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I was over in JUDDDland for a couple years and many people found that they *did* have to count CO calories.

Some people could definitely get away with *not* counting them, but not everybody. And it seemed random...some people do JUDDD low-carb and some don't, some exercise, some are in menopause, some are diabetic, etc etc, and we couldn't really find a pattern.

This is Day 6 of NK for me and I was the exact same weight this morning as when I started, but I am feeling very good (I'm diabetic), love all the butter and cream cheese and am able to go several hours between meals. Yesterday I only had 2 meals and zero snacks...I got up at 7, had breakfast at 10, cleaned a house for 3 hours in the afternoon, and had dinner around 7 with no hungries or shakies at all.

I've tried low-carb, Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet, JUDDD, Fast 5, (always LC because of diabetes) etc etc over the last 2.5 years and have had spates of very good appetite suppression & lower blood sugar but eventually stall & regain (I can gain 3-4lbs overnight due to TOM or even humid weather, but it never goes away overnight! ). I hope this works out better, if the problem is I've never added quite enough fat, or have been eating too much protein? Or I cheated...have to be sure not to cheat this time around!
to make your cream cheese even better, whip softened cream cheese with softened butter...its like eating triple cream brie but a lot cheaper!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #1248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I noticed this morning for the first time in adult memory that I have a jawbone and not just a pudgy double chin!

It didn't hurt that I dropped .5 over night too
Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #1249
Senior LCF Member

thanks Bernsy
Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #1250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Off subject-do any of you watch Southland?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #1251
Senior LCF Member

no I've never seen it.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #1252
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xxmotogurlxx
Hey everyone! I have been lurking for a while on here and have a couple questions. I have been doing NK since about Jan. I guess it was kind of half-hearted as during that time I had 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt at least once a week. However I have lost about 25 pounds from it. Last month I did really well with my eating, no cheats. However this weekend was BAD. I can not even begin to talk about the things that passed through my lips (if the whole empty bag of starbursts in the trash is any indication).

Anyways...I have lost about 60 pounds in total on my weight loss journey since July. I started out doing a modified liquid diet, using daily casein protein shakes and very small meals. Then I transitioned to this low carb stuff. I like it much better LOL. But I feel like I am not losing as fast as I was with the controlled liquid diet I was doing. And I wonder if it is because I am not eating enough calories...

According to the info on the front page, I should be eating
(140/2.2)*1.5 = 95g protein a day.

I feel like if I ate this much protein, my calories would be really high and I wouldn't lose?! I'm so confused. Can someone help me figure out what I should eat? When I plugged it into ***, it said I would have a calorie excess and gain if I wanted 80% fat staying at 95g of protein.

I am 5'8 and currently 199.8lbs as of this morning with a medium/large frame. I was down to 193 on friday night..but again had a HORRIBLE weekend..not sure if it is water weight or actual weight.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #1253
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmotogurlxx View Post
Hey everyone! I have been lurking for a while on here and have a couple questions. I have been doing NK since about Jan. I guess it was kind of half-hearted as during that time I had 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt at least once a week. However I have lost about 25 pounds from it. Last month I did really well with my eating, no cheats. However this weekend was BAD. I can not even begin to talk about the things that passed through my lips (if the whole empty bag of starbursts in the trash is any indication).

Anyways...I have lost about 60 pounds in total on my weight loss journey since July. I started out doing a modified liquid diet, using daily casein protein shakes and very small meals. Then I transitioned to this low carb stuff. I like it much better LOL. But I feel like I am not losing as fast as I was with the controlled liquid diet I was doing. And I wonder if it is because I am not eating enough calories...

According to the info on the front page, I should be eating
(140/2.2)*1.5 = 95g protein a day.

I feel like if I ate this much protein, my calories would be really high and I wouldn't lose?! I'm so confused. Can someone help me figure out what I should eat? When I plugged it into ***, it said I would have a calorie excess and gain if I wanted 80% fat staying at 95g of protein.

I am 5'8 and currently 199.8lbs as of this morning with a medium/large frame. I was down to 193 on friday night..but again had a HORRIBLE weekend..not sure if it is water weight or actual weight.
Welcome to the thread, Glad your delurking.
Congrats on the 60 lb weight loss .

You don't have to do the 80% of fat. You just use your protein base number that you want, say 95 (Darin can tell you for sure) Then you fill in with fat keep your carbs very low(need to stay under 50 total grams a day for NK). May times my macros come out 25% pro 65 or 70 % fat and 5 to 8% carbs.
Not sure how much protein you were consuming on the liquid but you may have been losing Lean Body mass also. That makes the weight loss seem so fast.
But that may not be the case.

Last edited by Clueless; 04-18-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi all! I have been slacking so bad with keeping up on here, school has just been insane...

Have had some TMJ issues this past week, so sticking to liquids mostly. My scale loves it but my psyche hates it.

Going to finish typing up some financial statements, then I'll catch up.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #1255
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xxmotogurlxx
Thanks for the fast reply! Ok that's great, I was worried I was going to have to start eating like 2500 calories lol. I have always been about 40% protein, maybe even a little higher when I was doing the protein shakes.

I did a fat fast a couple weeks ago and dropped about 6 pounds over 4 days..but I have to say it was HARD getting in all that fat. I see most of you guys drink coffee with HWC, I HATE coffee. Any other ways you can recommend getting enough fat it? Last night I thought about taking a shot of CO...lol but I got scared :P
Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #1256
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LOW_CARB_LOLA
Stats: 5'7" 304/154.4/120?
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: January 2012
Hey guys!

I am back! I was in the March/Feb NK group. I reverted to Lyle Mcdonalds PMSF because I was not losing weight on NK diet. I was not being honest with myself and was not counting calories during the NK diet and that may have been why I didn't see results. Regardless, I lost ~ 12 pounds since then, following PMSF. Its really intense and draining so I was thinking of possibly switching it up to NK diet. Just stopped in to say "HEY!" and possibly "see you soon!"
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #1257
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW_CARB_LOLA View Post
Hey guys!

I am back! I was in the March/Feb NK group. I reverted to Lyle Mcdonalds PMSF because I was not losing weight on NK diet. I was not being honest with myself and was not counting calories during the NK diet and that may have been why I didn't see results. Regardless, I lost ~ 12 pounds since then, following PMSF. Its really intense and draining so I was thinking of possibly switching it up to NK diet. Just stopped in to say "HEY!" and possibly "see you soon!"
Hey Lola I was wondering about you
Congrats on the 12 lbs
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #1258
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi all! I have been slacking so bad with keeping up on here, school has just been insane...

Have had some TMJ issues this past week, so sticking to liquids mostly. My scale loves it but my psyche hates it.

Going to finish typing up some financial statements, then I'll catch up.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Hey Casey
Good to see ya. Sorry bout the TMJ, That stinks!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #1259
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply! Ok that's great, I was worried I was going to have to start eating like 2500 calories lol. I have always been about 40% protein, maybe even a little higher when I was doing the protein shakes.

I did a fat fast a couple weeks ago and dropped about 6 pounds over 4 days..but I have to say it was HARD getting in all that fat. I see most of you guys drink coffee with HWC, I HATE coffee. Any other ways you can recommend getting enough fat it? Last night I thought about taking a shot of CO...lol but I got scared :P
If you have never eaten CO start out slow. I know some people that started out with a big ole TBSP and spent several hours running to the bathroom.

Last edited by Clueless; 04-18-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #1260
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I don't hate coffee, but I can't drink it so I put my HWC and CO in my tea

I also sometimes make fat bombs (you can google it, or do a search here on the forums... there's TONS of recipes) or just eat coconut oil straight off of a spoon... although I guess you have to like the taste to do that

Butter, sometimes I eat it plain but I put it on top of my meats and veggies. Sour cream and cheese are quite high in fat too if you can spare eating extra protein and can do dairy.
Closed Thread