Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #1111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Or a beverage with HWC?
Either coffee, tea, or a cremosa
(Italian soda--any diet soda or seltzer + SF Torani syrup).

A lot of people feel nauseated from CO but don't react as strongly to HWC.

I've been whipping together the cream from a can of drained coconut milk with about 1/2c of HWC. It stays firm for several days and makes every coffee seem like a fancy cappuccino! CO in coffee sort of grosses me out but the coconut cream doesn't.

BTW, the whole "bulletproof coffee" is a riff on Tibetan butter tea. And they don't just add chunks of butter to their tea--they churn the heck out of it so that the fat is emulsified into the liquid.
Thanks PirateJenny, I gave up cream in my coffee many years ago so I'll have to come up with something else. I usually have 2T CO through the day without a problem but too much fat makes me nauseaus/headachey. Not sure if cheese will do the same thing ...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #1112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 194.5 for a small whoosh
Amazing!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #1113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Speaking of EVCO, I had a question/thought and I figured I'd throw it out there for us NK-ers to discuss and see what everyone here thinks about it:

I was reading a rather long thread over on the JUDDD board yesterday (actually completely unrelated to EVCO, but they branched off as we're apt to do sometimes ) and they were saying that EVCO is thermogenic, and so it'll never be stored as fat regardless of what you do carb-wise... and because of that it doesn't need to be counted in your daily calorie total necessarily. I saw several JUDDD-ers on there talking about their success with eating a tablespoon of it with every meal WITHOUT counting it, and everyone saw losses like that... some even broke long stalls they were in at the time doing it.

So I guess my question is... considering JUDDD counts calories a lot more closely than we do (at least on down days especially) could this actually be true? And could this method work for NK, to where we'd still be okay eating the same amount of calories while SUBTRACTING the EVCO's calories from our totals? Because I always count it, and limit it because of my calorie allotment for the day. Or could it be that JUDDD-ers just aren't getting what NK/other LC plans consider an adequate amount of calories on a regular basis, and THAT'S why the increase in calories are helping them?

I'd love to think I could enjoy more EVCO and have it burn fat for me without counting it
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #1114
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
(actually completely unrelated to EVCO, but they branched off as we're apt to do sometimes)
Branch off?!? We have strict rules in this thread about no movie talk or book talk or working in pop culture references.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #1115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Branch off?!? We have strict rules in this thread about no movie talk or book talk or working in pop culture references.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #1116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Finally fully Keto adapted!!! Last night I did body conditioning and didn't poop out at all - not with the hundreds of squats or anything! AND I did 20 man style push-ups in a row on a 4 count (up for two down for two). 4 count push ups are so hard because you don't have any momentum helping you along.

I had a .8 bounce but I know I'm holding fluid in my muscles from that workout. So happy to finally be fully adapted.
great job on the push-ups!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #1117
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Speaking of EVCO, I had a question/thought and I figured I'd throw it out there for us NK-ers to discuss and see what everyone here thinks about it:

I was reading a rather long thread over on the JUDDD board yesterday (actually completely unrelated to EVCO, but they branched off as we're apt to do sometimes ) and they were saying that EVCO is thermogenic, and so it'll never be stored as fat regardless of what you do carb-wise... and because of that it doesn't need to be counted in your daily calorie total necessarily. I saw several JUDDD-ers on there talking about their success with eating a tablespoon of it with every meal WITHOUT counting it, and everyone saw losses like that... some even broke long stalls they were in at the time doing it.

So I guess my question is... considering JUDDD counts calories a lot more closely than we do (at least on down days especially) could this actually be true? And could this method work for NK, to where we'd still be okay eating the same amount of calories while SUBTRACTING the EVCO's calories from our totals? Because I always count it, and limit it because of my calorie allotment for the day. Or could it be that JUDDD-ers just aren't getting what NK/other LC plans consider an adequate amount of calories on a regular basis, and THAT'S why the increase in calories are helping them?

I'd love to think I could enjoy more EVCO and have it burn fat for me without counting it
Most people trying to lose weight are eating too few calories so I think you are right about that being what is behind their experience. We see it a lot on our thread - increase your calories a bit and the scale starts moving down.

There are some variables here too. How well you digest fat will impact how much of the fat calories are actually absorbed to be used. Stomach acid levels are important in this regard.

The cool thing about CO is that it is packed with MCTs and it converts readily to ketone bodies so, unlike most other foods, it travels the HOV lane to energy conversion. People that test their blood ketones posted that they were elevated after eating CO.

That is kind of interesting. I wonder if a shot of CO, before or during, would help out the exercise enthusiast crowd? Probably before since there is going to be a lag between ingestion and ketone body production.

I read something a few weeks ago on the internet where a nutritionist or a doctor believed that you could eat as much fat as you wanted without gaining weight. It was a bald statement that cannot be true so I wondered if there wasn't an implicit 'but you can't eat that much fat anyway' underlying the obviously wrong fat free for all thinking.

If you eat far in excess of your energy needs you will gain fat weight. This is where calories in calories out is right and wrong. Too many carb calories will make you fat. But the same amount of fat calories won't make you fat. I mean, if your getting 70% of your calories from carbs, 25% from protein and 5% from fat, sedentary, and you are eating, say, 1800 calories a day you will either not lose weight or gain weight. But the same 1800 calories with a 70% fat macro, 25% protein macro and 5% carb macro will cause the same person to lose weight.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #1118
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats rain and red!!

Welcome May!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #1119
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Weigh in today 154.6
Still bouncing upward
No ma'am, that is the same as yesterday
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #1120
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

If so then you get time out!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #1121
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
131- bounce. is there something in the water?
No kidding! We need Casey's magic scale
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #1122
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
If so then you get time out!
Every now and then I accidentally refer to pop culture
Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #1123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:

NICE!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #1124
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning I was very surprized this morning. 147.4.. I'm very happy I'm losing...Red do you think I'm losing to fast?........I'm eating about 1400-1500 cal I have to make me do that..yesterday I had more cucumber ..

Your just melting!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #1125
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Wow smoking!!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #1126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, down my half pound this morning finally to arrive back at 156.5
Congrats on getting back to 156!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #1127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by May60 View Post
Wow! I stayed up late last night reading this entire post!! Great info here!! You guys are wonderful!!
I was discouraged because I had gained a lb even though my keto sticks were showing purple! Someone suggested to read this post and I glad I did!

I am also happy to report, I lost the lb I had gained this morning!

Yesterday:
Total calories 2318 ( which was high as my goal is 1800)
Fat. 179 gr. 71%
Prot. 135 gr. 24%
Carb. 25 gr. 5%

I am 63 and 5'9" I currently weigh 205. My goal is 169, the higher end of the weight chart...I think I am medium frame, but need to measure my wrist to find out. I posted before that I had lost 40 lbs on the Dukan diet, but then stalled for ever a year. I love this WOE!!!!! I have ordered the ketone meter and should have it next week...anxious to find out where I am!!
If you don't mind, I would love to join you all here, because I have found a good forum is the best way to keep focused and to be accountable too.
May
Welcome May!
Congrats on losing that pound.
This thread is the best. They don't let ya stay discouraged long around here. You in the right place!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #1128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:

I would love to consume more EVCO!!
By the way thanks for the welcome..I feel like I have found my " home " again!!
May
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #1129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

This is very interesting. I believe Becky eat CO with every meal too, and she loses like a wild woman. Is that right Becky?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #1130
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No ma'am, that is the same as yesterday
Well.......
HUmm....
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #1131
Major LCF Poster!

When I gave DH a hug this morning he said my ribs were poking him
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #1132
Blabbermouth!!!

I wonder if you are onto something with the hypoglycemia induced headaches?

It could explain my mysterious headaches the last few weeks. They come and go which tracks, I think, with glucose being low, the body reacting, glucose returning to normal with the headache subsiding.

If I weren't such a coward about poking my finger I'd test to see. The awesome nature of phobias is their powerful resistance to reason.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #1133
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
131- bounce. is there something in the water?
Yeah, me too. I think mine is because I got complacent about hwc. Adding too much to cokes, coffee, etc. Ordering my scales today so I can weigh myself correctly and most importantly, my food.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #1134
Major LCF Poster!

I was using CO before I went Low carb and I didn't lose any weight. I was even gaining a little and wondered if it was from the CO.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #1135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
to the new posters! I love this forum!

Awesome losses are being posted, wonderful!!! Very motivating!

So, prob a silly question but I was buying Spectrum CO it says it's refined, at wal mart. Well then I saw they have a brand called All Natural LouAna Pure CO with same nutrient info so figured prob good enough and it's WAY cheaper. Now...do I need to be worried about buying EVCO instead? Is CO just CO?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #1136
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
So, prob a silly question but I was buying Spectrum CO it says it's refined, at wal mart. Well then I saw they have a brand called All Natural LouAna Pure CO with same nutrient info so figured prob good enough and it's WAY cheaper. Now...do I need to be worried about buying EVCO instead? Is CO just CO?
I searched and searched for an answer to EVCO versus non-EVCO and I never did find anything that said EVCO was better. Further, the EVCO cheer leading sites don't really give proof that EV is better. Usually the language is fluffy feel good tripe. And they always point out that brands like LouAnn are made from the copra of the coconut.

But! Someone answered my challenge about that issue on another thread a long time ago and produced something that looked like proof that EV was better chemically than non-EV. I think it had to do with damage from heat used to process non-EV CO.

Personally, I can tell the difference. When I was using EVCO, Nutiva brand, exclusively my normally dry and cracked hands were wonderfully not dry and cracked. When I switched to exclusively using LouAnn's refined much less expensive CO the problem with dry hands came back.

Now I cook exclusively with the less expensive LouAnn and I use EVCO (refined or not) as a supplement (coffee or fatbombs or whatever). If I am purely interested in bumping calories up a little I wouldn't hesitate to supplement with LouAnn in a pinch.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #1137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Good morning all! I am starting to track my food but I am wondering if any of you use an app on their phone to do so? If so, which one?
Yes, I have to use one to stay on track. I love it. It is time consuming but worth it once you have it up and running. I find that I tend to eat the same foods for the most part so I set up the foods myself, to make sure I'm not using anyone else's data entry (as the website is driven by users from what I can tell) since I've found many that are just so wrong, it's crazy!

I don't think we can mention the names of the trackers we use but I would think any would function about the same so find one you feel comfortable using and setting up. The one I use is great because I can personalize my goals and list my fat % goal at 80-90 as needed because sometimes I do a FF and need it higher than the typical goal of 80%.

I do like the website I use because they do have a phone app and I can scan items in for tracking but again have to be careful and make sure the data matches. It does round up so if something has .5g carb it will show 1 which annoys me but it tends to work out because if I have 2 servings it will also show 1.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #1138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I searched and searched for an answer to EVCO versus non-EVCO and I never did find anything that said EVCO was better. Further, the EVCO cheer leading sites don't really give proof that EV is better. Usually the language is fluffy feel good tripe. And they always point out that brands like LouAnn are made from the copra of the coconut.

But! Someone answered my challenge about that issue on another thread a long time ago and produced something that looked like proof that EV was better chemically than non-EV. I think it had to do with damage from heat used to process non-EV CO.

Personally, I can tell the difference. When I was using EVCO, Nutiva brand, exclusively my normally dry and cracked hands were wonderfully not dry and cracked. When I switched to exclusively using LouAnn's refined much less expensive CO the problem with dry hands came back.

Now I cook exclusively with the less expensive LouAnn and I use EVCO (refined or not) as a supplement (coffee or fatbombs or whatever). If I am purely interested in bumping calories up a little I wouldn't hesitate to supplement with LouAnn in a pinch.
Oh - thank you for this info! Ok...well, it may be worth switching then to using the EVCO since I don't cook much and use the CO for just plain eating and even though I want to save $ sometimes you have to spend a little more to get some quality and to meet the goals intended for the product! Ok, glad it's almost the weekend. I need to hit the store big time! I'm running super low on HWC and CO which are my main staples!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #1139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
I looked up in my personal diary, the day I purchased my first jar of EVCO! It has been exactly two months today. It is a huge jar, 54 oz.!!! It is almost all gone and I am the only one who has been eating it!!! I am thinking...who could eat that much fat and still lose weight?? I have only lost 2 lbs since that time, but to be fair, I was going back and forth between NK and Atkins, so was having trouble figuring this WOE out. But now I know NK is for me! What I am saying, I never though I could eat fat and lose weight, but this is proof. I even eat a little KG butter when I get hungry...what a treat!!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #1140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
When I gave DH a hug this morning he said my ribs were poking him
that. Is a. Good thing...
Closed Thread