Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #1051
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I haven't read it and I doubt I would read it but this book is free on kindle right now: "Delicious Detox: Cleanse to Stay Slim and Strong in All Four Seasons". I had no idea if anything in it would work with LC.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #1052
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Today is Dh and my wedding anniversary.
3 years
He brought me flowers and 85% cocoa. Good Man!!
My Daycare girls thought the flowers were for them. lol They are such sillies.
Happy Anniversary Many more high fat ones!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #1053
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Yeow. That is really low calories. No wonder you became hungry when you exerted yourself.

At that calorie level it doesn't really matter how much protein you were eating. You would have been ketogenic. I bet your cortisol was off the charts too. And I bet you lost some LBM that you'll end up putting back on.

So prepare yourself for some weight gain. If it doesn't happen that is wonderful. If it does happen you won't freak out about it.

No, 1680 is too low I think. Your current weight is 160 and you are more than a moderately active adult. (160/2.2)*35 = 2545 (at least) to maintain. So I think you should try to eat 2000 and see how it goes. Eat more if needed to provide the energy for your strenuous workout regimen.

It is possible that you need less calories. If the workouts you are doing and the high level you are doing them at are not building muscle mass, your resting metabolism will likely be lower than if you weren't doing any exercise at all. Lots of working out makes it hard to guestimate a good starting place for calories.

The thing to keep in mind about calories is that the deficit is what's important. So if you are expending 2000 calories and eating 1700 calories you'll lose weight. But if you are expending 4000 calories and eating 1700 calories you might not lose weight because it is too big of a calorie gap.

I'm a guy but really, really, really sedentary. Even as sedentary as I am I eat about 2300 calories and lose weight. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight unless there is some medical condition present. Lots of the people that advocate very low calories, 1200 or whatever, don't usually mention that they are hypothyroid or very advanced in age.

Do you have any health issues? Take any meds Rx or OTC?

I've got a few podcasts you should listen to.

Google 'jimmy moore julia ross carbs' - this is about carb addiction but they discuss calories too. And you may need the stuff in here for your transition from IP to NK.

Google 'jimmy moore Episode 9 All Things Calories (Calories 101) Mat Lalonde' - LaLonde is not a fan of low carb but what he has to say about calories is eye opening.

Google 'jimmy moore atlcx-11-dr-jeff-volek' - should be the second link. This will help get your head on straight about saturated fats. Volek is the co-author of the Living and Performance books.

Google 'jimmy moore johnny bowden vitamins' - this is a great podcast about supplements you should be taking while LC.

Google 'jimmy moore robbins magnesium' - this podcast is all about the most wonderful supplement of all, magnesium.
WOW! Lots of info here. It'll take me some time to process it all.
As far as the super low calories, the theory is that the deficit is to be made up by the fat stores in the body. Like I said, it all worked according to plan until I decided to go back to the gym. Which they really don't recommend, BTW. It's funny that I don't bonk out during my workout but I have been extra hungry even on days when I don't workout. It's because of this that I think I am in ketosis but doing low fat as well as low carb is simply not allowing enough fuel.

Anyways, thanks again for the info. I'm off to check out some podcasts!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #1054
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Dood! This thread moves fast! Just wanted to give a high five to Lisa, Becky, Robin & Rachel hugs to Darin, Cheryl and anyone else that is dealing with a bounce. Happy Anniversary to you and hubby, Cheryl, and obviously he didn't know what he was talking about with the whole "ya ain't doin it right" . That story still makes me laugh!

Last edited by amandacj08; 04-16-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #1055
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Question!

I've been back on NK for 9 days and have lost NOTHING! What is going on? I had been eating a lot more carbs before starting back, so I figured I'd at least lose some water weight

Average Macros for the past week: 78/18/4 Calories 2000

Maybe, I should cut the calories down to 1500?
Sorry Melisa, I missed your post.

No, I don't think you should zoom down to 1500 calories. Probably the very best thing would be to stay patient. Consider the fact that you are eating 2000 calories and not *gaining* which is supposedly impossible according to the low calorie crowd. If you have to make a change for sanity's sake, why don't you try for 2100 calories tomorrow and 1900 calories the next day and alternate like that for a few days.

You are eating about 90g of protein a day? Would you please job my memory on your ideal weight?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #1056
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I'm always really confused about calories myself... the deficit thing just never really registered in my head fully, as far as what I should be doing. Maybe it's the mental fog from my idiot thyroid or something that's making my brain so hard to get through to

Wondering if you might be able to help me reddarin, although I DO have some weird medical things going on so I know it'd be more of a ball park range rather than a more concise number.

I'm currently 157, I think my goal weight is probably going to be about 140-145... possibly a little higher depending on how my body reacts to exercise when I eventually add in some strength training to put on a little muscle/tone. I don't really know how to describe my activity level. I'm not COMPLETELY sedentary. Whenever I talk on the phone (sometimes hours at a time certain days) I'm constantly pacing around my apartment... I clean, I sometimes go for 20-30 minute walks a couple times a week depending on the weather/if I can get to the mall to walk there. I don't PURPOSEFULLY exercise very often though, although I'll be adding Callanetics soonish hopefully

I AM hypothyroid, but hopefully I'll be starting to get that under control soonish. I also have PCOS.

Anyway... any clue as to how many calories I should be consuming? I tried to figure it out myself a while back but was failing miserably. I've been eating 1500-ish calories a day pretty much. It seemed that when I ate less I just wasn't losing, although maybe that was just a natural mini-stall time for me? It's always 1500-something, but if I notice I'll hit 1600 or more I'll generally stop because I think that's too much. Today my planned calories are 1517, and yesterday they were 1589.
How long have you been eating 1500 calories for NK? How's your weight been during that time?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #1057
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
How long have you been eating 1500 calories for NK? How's your weight been during that time?
I think I've been eating the 1500-some calories for NK for about a month and a half now I want to say? My losses have been okay I guess, no real BIG bounces that I couldn't attribute to TOM crap but lately I've been slowing more... again that could be not at all related to calories, and could just be body woes in general creeping up on me.

It seemed to me before that when I was eating around 1200-1300 calories my losses were either nonexistent or VERY slow for the most part. When I upped it to 1500-some it seemed like it picked up a little bit... at least for ME, because of my thyroid and other things slowing me down. I was losing probably a pound a week or so, maybe sometimes a little bit more than that. No losses, only gains during TOM though but that's to be expected.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #1058
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Sorry Melisa, I missed your post.

No, I don't think you should zoom down to 1500 calories. Probably the very best thing would be to stay patient. Consider the fact that you are eating 2000 calories and not *gaining* which is supposedly impossible according to the low calorie crowd. If you have to make a change for sanity's sake, why don't you try for 2100 calories tomorrow and 1900 calories the next day and alternate like that for a few days.

You are eating about 90g of protein a day? Would you please job my memory on your ideal weight?
Thanks Red!

Ideal weight 145 (could be less. The last time I weighed so little, was probably in grade school), Small Frame, 5'6.

I've been eating on average:

Fat 172g
Carbs 21g
Fiber 5.6g
Protein 85.9g
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #1059
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I think I've been eating the 1500-some calories for NK for about a month and a half now I want to say? My losses have been okay I guess, no real BIG bounces that I couldn't attribute to TOM crap but lately I've been slowing more... again that could be not at all related to calories, and could just be body woes in general creeping up on me.

It seemed to me before that when I was eating around 1200-1300 calories my losses were either nonexistent or VERY slow for the most part. When I upped it to 1500-some it seemed like it picked up a little bit... at least for ME, because of my thyroid and other things slowing me down. I was losing probably a pound a week or so, maybe sometimes a little bit more than that. No losses, only gains during TOM though but that's to be expected.
I'd probably just keep it there for a few more days. You just got back from an emotionally exasperating family visit so give your mind and body some time to calm down.

You've been trending down steadily at 1500ish calories, right?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #1060
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Thanks Red!

Ideal weight 145 (could be less. The last time I weighed so little, was probably in grade school), Small Frame, 5'6.

I've been eating on average:

Fat 172g
Carbs 21g
Fiber 5.6g
Protein 85.9g
Hmmm. You might try pushing protein down a bit and try to hit 75g consistently. That'd be 1.17/kg for 140 reference weight. Right now you are hitting about 1.33/kg.

Your carb total is 21 or 21+5.6?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #1061
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'd probably just keep it there for a few more days. You just got back from an emotionally exasperating family visit so give your mind and body some time to calm down.

You've been trending down steadily at 1500ish calories, right?
Yeah, the general trend has been downward... no real unexplained gains or anything like that, it's just been fairly slow going but I guess I can't expect much with a messed up thyroid and a boatload of stress like you were saying

I was just wondering if I STILL might be way off somehow on what my body would be optimized at, calories-wise... so I figured I'd ask the expert and see Some days I know I feel pretty much full when I'm at around 1300 calories (like yesterday) but I always find a place to increase because I remember 1200-1300 wasn't netting me results. Yesterday I wound up eating a couple hard boiled eggs, just because I was supposed to in order to keep up my calories/protein for the day... I really wasn't hungry, just did it for that benefit. Other times I KNOW I could easily eat more than 1500 calories, but stop myself and stay within my boundaries.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #1062
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yeah, the general trend has been downward... no real unexplained gains or anything like that, it's just been fairly slow going but I guess I can't expect much with a messed up thyroid and a boatload of stress like you were saying

I was just wondering if I STILL might be way off somehow on what my body would be optimized at, calories-wise... so I figured I'd ask the expert and see Some days I know I feel pretty much full when I'm at around 1300 calories (like yesterday) but I always find a place to increase because I remember 1200-1300 wasn't netting me results. Yesterday I wound up eating a couple hard boiled eggs, just because I was supposed to in order to keep up my calories/protein for the day... I really wasn't hungry, just did it for that benefit. Other times I KNOW I could easily eat more than 1500 calories, but stop myself and stay within my boundaries.
I would wait three days or so and then maybe try hitting 1650 for a few days to see what happens.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #1063
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I would wait three days or so and then maybe try hitting 1650 for a few days to see what happens.

Okay, I'll definitely do that Thanks reddarin... I really appreciate all the advice you provide us with here. I always feel like there's a great support system on this part of the forum and you're such a huge part of that. Thank you for helping all of us out!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #1064
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Hmmm. You might try pushing protein down a bit and try to hit 75g consistently. That'd be 1.17/kg for 140 reference weight. Right now you are hitting about 1.33/kg.

Your carb total is 21 or 21+5.6?
21g Total. I will try to lower my protein some. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #1065
Blabbermouth!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #1066
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Okay, I'll definitely do that Thanks reddarin... I really appreciate all the advice you provide us with here. I always feel like there's a great support system on this part of the forum and you're such a huge part of that. Thank you for helping all of us out!
AMEN!
Thanks Red for all you do!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #1067
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
amen!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #1068
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
I'll second that, thank you
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #1069
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Wow, it looks like the NK forum got popular all of a sudden. Welcome to all the newcomers!

I'm trying for 1800 calories today and have only gotten up to 866 so far. Since I leave for work before 6 am and don't get home until 4 pm or later, breakfast and lunch are nearly 12 hours apart. I don't usually like to eat dinner after 7 pm but I'll have to this time, to avoid going too low on calories.

Tomorrow is a semi-fast day, which is kind of a relief because I won't have to worry about what to fix for meals.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #1070
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so surprised after the day I had yesterday. I had to remind myself to eat today!

Calories 1666
Pro 59g 14%
Carb 17g 4%
Fat 155g 82%

BP coffee x 2
2 boiled eggs,2 T mayo
Tuna mixed with mashed up avocado
Beef patty
Diet cherry dr pepper float
Bouillon, 1T butter, 1T HWC
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #1071
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Today is Dh and my wedding anniversary.
3 years
He brought me flowers and 85% cocoa. Good Man!!
My Daycare girls thought the flowers were for them. lol They are such sillies.
Yea for dh, what a sweetie. He knows exactly what will make you happy.
Also, Cheryl, got a quick question. Getting paid tomorrow (oh yeah) and ordering the scale you mentioned you had. How is it? Checked all the negative reviews and they were about incorrect weighing. Always coming up w/different weights. Have you had this problem? Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #1072
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Yea for dh, what a sweetie. He knows exactly what will make you happy.
Also, Cheryl, got a quick question. Getting paid tomorrow (oh yeah) and ordering the scale you mentioned you had. How is it? Checked all the negative reviews and they were about incorrect weighing. Always coming up w/different weights. Have you had this problem? Thanks
No, I haven't had any problems at all. It sounds like the people that left the negative comments were not using the scale right. I think that as long as you recalibrate the scale after you move it there is no problems. I love it. It says sweet stuff too, like a 3lb loss for last week, hehehehe
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #1073
Major LCF Poster!

Log For today

Calories 1352

Fat 109 72%
Pro 70 21%
Carb 25 7%

Breakfast sausage and eggs

Lunch cabbage, broth and rotel

Dinner taco salad
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #1074
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Quote:
Log For today

Calories 1352

Fat 109 72%
Pro 70 21%
Carb 25 7%

Breakfast sausage and eggs

Lunch cabbage, broth and rotel

Dinner taco salad
Looksngood
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #1075
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Food Log April 16, 2013

Todays menu:

B Coffee, w/hwc and co
L Bacon x5, 2 cups salad w/ 2 T dressing
S 2 coke floats w/ 2 T hwc ea
D 4 oz chicken breast , pickles
S 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 string cheese

Totals: 1736
156 fat
14.4 carb
74 protein

Scrambling at the end to get protein, cal up but no worries. I'm doing so good on the lifestyle that I'll never go back. I got tired of poor service w/^^^day site that I signed up at myf**ddiarydotcom. Will pay $9 mo but sooooo much easier.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #1076
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh in today 154.6
Still bouncing upward
Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #1077
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
I'm so surprised after the day I had yesterday. I had to remind myself to eat today!

Calories 1666
Pro 59g 14%
Carb 17g 4%
Fat 155g 82%

BP coffee x 2
2 boiled eggs,2 T mayo
Tuna mixed with mashed up avocado
Beef patty
Diet cherry dr pepper float
Bouillon, 1T butter, 1T HWC
It is surprising isn't? It like hey wait, I am not hungry? It's magic
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 AM   #1078
Major LCF Poster!

131- bounce. is there something in the water?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #1079
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Today I made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies for the kids and I didn't eat one, didn't even lick my fingers when I spilled condensed milk

I'll admit to breathing deeply when they were cooking though

Then I rewarded myself by going to the pool and doing a workout in the hot pool
Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #1080
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
Today I made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies for the kids and I didn't eat one, didn't even lick my fingers when I spilled condensed milk

I'll admit to breathing deeply when they were cooking though

Then I rewarded myself by going to the pool and doing a workout in the hot pool
that's great! I used to eat a whole batch in 2 days or less. I don't know if I could make those for the kids just yet but I made them banana bread the other day. No problem.
Closed Thread