Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #991
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Weigh in this morning was 154.4
A bigger bounce. Hope it doesn't get any bigger

I'm sure it'll be right back down before you know it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #992
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny- how about cream cheese clouds or a little avocado smashed up like dip and use bacon to eat it?

We've talked about insomnia before. Are you doing better now? I just ask because I think the co used to be a problem for me but its not anymore. I'm up to 2 tbsp a day and sleep great.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #993
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Cherly it's just water weight be right back off
Still another lost . Y
8/158.8
9/155
10/153.4
11/151.8
12/149.6
13/149.2
14/148.8
16/148
2-3 lbs would be great. By July I would have meet my goal and lost 75 lbs in a year... I can do it...it has been due to clean eating this week..I did add a cucumber last night to see what would happen..still lost .4 so ill add it again today see what happens...
Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #994
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
Hi guys!
My first day on NK yesterday went very well! No cravings at all and this is after being in the binge mode for the past 2 weeks. I am also down 1.4 lb this morning (I am sure it is water, but I take it ))

this is what I ate:

B: 4 oz baked wild salmon, 3 oz steamed green beans, 3 Tbl homemade mayo, 1 Tbl coconut oil
L: 5.5 baked turkey tenderloin with 2 tbl mayo
D: 9 oz roasted asparagus with 2 Tbl EVOO, salad with lettuce, cucumber, carrots, 1 Tbl EVOO

1550 cal
149 gr fat
63 gr protein
30 gr gross carbs

I see some of you eat higher fat %. Is there a standard formula for percentage for fat/protein/carbs or you have to figure out what works for you? Is 60% fat/35% prot/5% carb correct, or the fat has to be higher?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #995
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 160/157/140 5'5"
WOE: NK
Start Date: 4/16/13
From IP to NK??

Good morning everyone! I am new here...I just read thru this whole thread...boy you guys are chatty! I like it!

I have been doing Ideal Protein for the last 4 months and it's been great! I lost 30 lbs in the first 3 months! But I have been adding exercise back into my routine and not only has my weight loss stalled but I have been feeling hungry! I recently read "The Art & Science...Performance" and I am interested to see if NK would help me fuel my workouts and keep me from being hungry.

I read several posts back that there was someone else that came from IP but I don't remember who it was. I'm trying to figure out how to make the transition.

I'm also wondering about the fact that most of you eat hardly any veggies...IP requires 4 cups of low carb veggies a day. Is it part of the NK plan to cut out veggies?

I am looking forward to your responses and to getting to know all of you! This seems like a great group!!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #996
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Good morning everyone! I am new here...I just read thru this whole thread...boy you guys are chatty! I like it!

I have been doing Ideal Protein for the last 4 months and it's been great! I lost 30 lbs in the first 3 months! But I have been adding exercise back into my routine and not only has my weight loss stalled but I have been feeling hungry! I recently read "The Art & Science...Performance" and I am interested to see if NK would help me fuel my workouts and keep me from being hungry.

I read several posts back that there was someone else that came from IP but I don't remember who it was. I'm trying to figure out how to make the transition.

I'm also wondering about the fact that most of you eat hardly any veggies...IP requires 4 cups of low carb veggies a day. Is it part of the NK plan to cut out veggies?

I am looking forward to your responses and to getting to know all of you! This seems like a great group!!
I eat tons of veggies, but mostly leafy greens, I have more trouble getting enough protein and fat
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #997
Major LCF Poster!

130 still. My cycle has been weird this month like I'm going to start Tom and don't but I feel a little bloated and like I usually do right before. I should have started a couple weeks ago. I guess I should be grateful I've been able to lose any the way my body is acting!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #998
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #999
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
130 still. My cycle has been weird this month like I'm going to start Tom and don't but I feel a little bloated and like I usually do right before. I should have started a couple weeks ago. I guess I should be grateful I've been able to lose any the way my body is acting!
Janette, I was there a couple of weeks ago. My period started 2.5 weeks later than normal and I didn't see any weight loss at all during TOM. Also Ketostix registered nothing during that time, and still aren't (this is a weird one for me, but I know my total carb levels are good at 40g or less/day).
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #1000
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:

Hi Welcome to our thread

I hadn't heard of Ideal Protein before but the article I just read about it says it was originally developed for athletes and subsequently used to lose weight. What does your weekly meeting person say about exercise with IP? What is your current phase?

At a glance I'd say either stop exercising till you are very close to goal weight or greatly reduce the amount of exercise you are doing.

Consider a Body By Science approach with one very intense but very short resistance oriented exercise session once per week.

Depending on the veggie you could fit 4 cups into an NK woe. In fact, day before yesterday I ate well over 4 cups of cabbage for the day.

I'm curious about the calorie level you are eating at for IP.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #1001
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post
Janette, I was there a couple of weeks ago. My period started 2.5 weeks later than normal and I didn't see any weight loss at all during TOM. Also Ketostix registered nothing during that time, and still aren't (this is a weird one for me, but I know my total carb levels are good at 40g or less/day).
You seem to be doing really good since then so that gives me hope
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #1002
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Hi guys!
My first day on NK yesterday went very well! No cravings at all and this is after being in the binge mode for the past 2 weeks. I am also down 1.4 lb this morning (I am sure it is water, but I take it ))

this is what I ate:

B: 4 oz baked wild salmon, 3 oz steamed green beans, 3 Tbl homemade mayo, 1 Tbl coconut oil
L: 5.5 baked turkey tenderloin with 2 tbl mayo
D: 9 oz roasted asparagus with 2 Tbl EVOO, salad with lettuce, cucumber, carrots, 1 Tbl EVOO

1550 cal
149 gr fat
63 gr protein
30 gr gross carbs

I see some of you eat higher fat %. Is there a standard formula for percentage for fat/protein/carbs or you have to figure out what works for you? Is 60% fat/35% prot/5% carb correct, or the fat has to be higher?
Hi Marika Welcome to our thread

No. There is no best macro ratio for NK. Everyone's protein requirement will be unique and everyone's calorie needs will be unique so everyone's best macro ratio will also be unique.

You know your protein grams requirement. You know you are eating less than 50g total carbs. You choose a calorie goal or eat to satiety (which has some serious drawbacks). Essentially the macro ratios fall where they may.

Usually that will result in a fat macro that is 65% to 85%, a protein macro that is 15% to 30% and a carb macro that is 2% to 10%.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #1003
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Hello all! You know how you look forward to going on vacation, until you get back? That is how I feel right now! Completely buried! Anyhoo, I spent time yesterday graphing out all my stats to figure out if my eating or exercise was causing my stall...looks like when things got busy and my exercise dropped off, I stopped losing. As of yesterday I was lower than my pre-trip weight but that was up a couple of lbs from my all time low. I think, based on my loss patterns, I found my ideal targets in macros, cals and net cals. There was no pattern in sodium and the broth kicked my butt so I'm going to stay away from that.

I am cautiously optimistic - I've had a loss every day since last Thursday (tho most was water weight).
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #1004
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Apr 16, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 195.5 so a really small bounce
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #1005
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Hello all! You know how you look forward to going on vacation, until you get back? That is how I feel right now! Completely buried! Anyhoo, I spent time yesterday graphing out all my stats to figure out if my eating or exercise was causing my stall...looks like when things got busy and my exercise dropped off, I stopped losing. As of yesterday I was lower than my pre-trip weight but that was up a couple of lbs from my all time low. I think, based on my loss patterns, I found my ideal targets in macros, cals and net cals. There was no pattern in sodium and the broth kicked my butt so I'm going to stay away from that.

I am cautiously optimistic - I've had a loss every day since last Thursday (tho most was water weight).
Hooray for the consistent weight loss!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #1006
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Still another lost . Y
8/158.8
9/155
10/153.4
11/151.8
12/149.6
13/149.2
14/148.8
16/148
2-3 lbs would be great. By July I would have meet my goal and lost 75 lbs in a year... I can do it...it has been due to clean eating this week..I did add a cucumber last night to see what would happen..still lost .4 so ill add it again today see what happens...
Congrats Becky!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #1007
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
Tracking starts today.

Up only 2 lbs from vacation. That makes me happy that it isn't more than that.

Back to routine, exercise and eating 1500-1700 calories 80-15-5.

I did work out everyday on vacation. Loved that feeling of getting things done.

I have a terrible sore throat and cold. Will try broth with HWC today.

Need to get back in the groove. Planning not to over eat.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #1008
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Welcome to our thread

I hadn't heard of Ideal Protein before but the article I just read about it says it was originally developed for athletes and subsequently used to lose weight. What does your weekly meeting person say about exercise with IP? What is your current phase?

At a glance I'd say either stop exercising till you are very close to goal weight or greatly reduce the amount of exercise you are doing.

Consider a Body By Science approach with one very intense but very short resistance oriented exercise session once per week.

Depending on the veggie you could fit 4 cups into an NK woe. In fact, day before yesterday I ate well over 4 cups of cabbage for the day.

I'm curious about the calorie level you are eating at for IP.
Hi Darin, I am not seeing a coach anymore. I am actually doing the diet using alternative products due to cost and the fact that my "coach" wasn't very helpful at all. I learned more about the diet on a message board similar to this one than I ever learned from her.

I really don't want to stop doing my bootcamp classes (I do them 4-5 days/week) that is what led me to start looking for other options. I am planning on doing Tough Mudder in August and I need to spend some time getting ready for it. Plus, I just love bootcamp! I had never been an athlete or even very active until I found kickboxing and then bootcamp. But now that I've found it, I don't want to stop! I did stop for almost 4 months while I lost the first 30 lbs.

I'd still like to lose another 20 lbs although that number is not etched in stone, more of an estimate of how much it'll take to get rid of the belly fat.

The reason I decided to try IP is because it was originally designed for athletes. I have had no success doing any other diet to lose weight and the lbs were slowly adding up no matter what I did. When I heard about IP and that the plan was designed to maintain muscle, I figured I'd give it a try and it worked great but now I want to exercise so I am trying to find a WOE to support the workouts. So when I read the performance book I thought maybe this would be a good plan...
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #1009
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Still another lost . Y
8/158.8
9/155
10/153.4
11/151.8
12/149.6
13/149.2
14/148.8
16/148
Becky, Congrats!

You share that you lost 75lbs in a year. Just curious if this was all on NK?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #1010
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:

Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #1011
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Thank you!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #1012
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
Becky, Congrats!

You share that you lost 75lbs in a year. Just curious if this was all on NK?
I started out the first month cutting carbs..then I did Atkins for few weeks,then NK..I love it and it does work if you are ready for a life change...I have fell off NK about 4 times but each time it makes me not want to do that any more..
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #1013
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Yesterday went well - did end up eating over my calorie goal but had 2 great workouts so I ended up eating more protein than I had planned.

195g fat, 105g prot, 7g carb so ended up with about 2200 calories with 79.6/19.1/1.3

This morning I got up early, had 2 eggs fried in bacon fat with melted CO shot and hit my 545a Jazzercise class. I did my WI after workout and found I was down to 169.6! WOOOOOOOO happy camper, especially cuz it's my TOM (started Mon eve...ugg LoL) which I figured wouldn't help me out much.

I grabbed 30g of almonds on my way out the door and when I got into work about 830 I was STARVING. I ate my ground hamburger with a string cheese then had coffee with HWC and CO. I'm feeling quite content with life right now, not stuffed and def not hungry.

I'm already up to 120g fat, 62g prot and 8g carb so far today - a little under 1400 calories. My target is about 1800 and with my workout this morning surely burning at least 450 I'm not too spazzed out that I have consumed the majority of my calories between 5a and 10a...My plan for the rest of today is tuna and CO and a TON of water - def adding the salt to my food not only makes it SO darn delicious but def helps me with water intake.

Hoping everyone has a fab day!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #1014
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Jenny- how about cream cheese clouds or a little avocado smashed up like dip and use bacon to eat it?

We've talked about insomnia before. Are you doing better now? I just ask because I think the co used to be a problem for me but its not anymore. I'm up to 2 tbsp a day and sleep great.

Well, I'm too lazy to cook bacon often, and whenever I do, a package doesn't last more than 2 days!!!

I haven't made cream cheese clouds before, but I'd like to try them--I recently organized my freezer enough that I might be able to (there's rarely a flat surface for trays or popsicles or anything like that ). I really like cream cheese, it seems like a perfect NK food (88%fat/5%carb/7%protein), and I get it really cheap at Aldi.

The food just has to be "chunky" enough to push the pills down. So maybe a piece of celery with cream cheese or my "enhanced" peanut butter (pb + ghee + coconut oil).

Insomnia is a constant issue.
It hasn't been as bad lately (usually asleep by 2am rather than 4 or 5).
I might be okay for a few nights in a row but it just takes one mistake (a little caffeine, not enough protein for breakfast) and I'm all out of whack again.
I can eat coconut during the day, just not sure if before bed is a good idea.

I actually went to a good nutrition site last night that shows the f/c/p percentages...I think they must count fiber calories, because it doesn't quite add up, but it's a helpful starting point. Avocados, pecans, cream cheese, & pepperoni all seem pretty good.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #1015
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to answer the question about calories...I am eating around 800-900 cal/day, 30-40g of carbs and low fat. I am wondering if part of my problem is protein. Until I found this site, I didn't know that eating too much protein could knock me out of ketosis. I have been adding protein when I get too hungry so I'm sure some days my protein intake was high. By switching over to NK, I would def be adding fat/cal but could still remain in ketosis, right?

My current stats: 160 lbs, 5'5", medium frame...so goal would be 140 lbs.

If my goal weight is 140 lbs then my cal range should be around 1680, right?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #1016
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Question!

I've been back on NK for 9 days and have lost NOTHING! What is going on? I had been eating a lot more carbs before starting back, so I figured I'd at least lose some water weight

Average Macros for the past week: 78/18/4 Calories 2000

Maybe, I should cut the calories down to 1500?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #1017
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi Darin, I am not seeing a coach anymore. I am actually doing the diet using alternative products due to cost and the fact that my "coach" wasn't very helpful at all. I learned more about the diet on a message board similar to this one than I ever learned from her.

I really don't want to stop doing my bootcamp classes (I do them 4-5 days/week) that is what led me to start looking for other options. I am planning on doing Tough Mudder in August and I need to spend some time getting ready for it. Plus, I just love bootcamp! I had never been an athlete or even very active until I found kickboxing and then bootcamp. But now that I've found it, I don't want to stop! I did stop for almost 4 months while I lost the first 30 lbs.

I'd still like to lose another 20 lbs although that number is not etched in stone, more of an estimate of how much it'll take to get rid of the belly fat.

The reason I decided to try IP is because it was originally designed for athletes. I have had no success doing any other diet to lose weight and the lbs were slowly adding up no matter what I did. When I heard about IP and that the plan was designed to maintain muscle, I figured I'd give it a try and it worked great but now I want to exercise so I am trying to find a WOE to support the workouts. So when I read the performance book I thought maybe this would be a good plan...
I see.

NK can certainly power your exercise goals with few exceptions and even those can probably be handled by superstarch if needed.

As for the hunger issues NK can deal with that too as long as you don't put an onerous calorie restriction on yourself. Eat enough. You don't need a huge calorie deficit to lose weight and most of the time too much of a calorie deficit is not helpful for healthy weight loss. Particularly if your energy expenditure is higher than normal as in your case.

You aren't going to be able to rely on the scale to tell you what is really going on either. So google around on how to take proper measurements and start measuring yourself to monitor progress. Consider doing some sort of accurate body fat analysis periodically. DEXA scans are the most accurate way to do that right now but they run around $200.

Keto-adaptation takes 2 to 4 weeks normally so expect a real impact on workout performance during that period. Don't rationalize juicing yourself with carbs over it. You have to just get through that period. Tough it out.

Will you be testing blood ketones? it is expensive but the quick feedback allows for accurate and fast tweaking of macros. And blood ketones higher into the 0.5-3.0 range should translate into better athletic performance.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #1018
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Weigh in: 186.4. I'll probably have a bounce up this week thanks to yesterday being higher carb, but at least I'm seeing a net loss for now.

I probably won't be around much the rest of this week. I have the chance to work lots of overtime, and make some $$$.
Hooray!!!

And that is great about all the extra work!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #1019
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Well, I'm too lazy to cook bacon often, and whenever I do, a package doesn't last more than 2 days!!!

I haven't made cream cheese clouds before, but I'd like to try them--I recently organized my freezer enough that I might be able to (there's rarely a flat surface for trays or popsicles or anything like that ). I really like cream cheese, it seems like a perfect NK food (88%fat/5%carb/7%protein), and I get it really cheap at Aldi.

The food just has to be "chunky" enough to push the pills down. So maybe a piece of celery with cream cheese or my "enhanced" peanut butter (pb + ghee + coconut oil).

Insomnia is a constant issue.
It hasn't been as bad lately (usually asleep by 2am rather than 4 or 5).
I might be okay for a few nights in a row but it just takes one mistake (a little caffeine, not enough protein for breakfast) and I'm all out of whack again.
I can eat coconut during the day, just not sure if before bed is a good idea.

I actually went to a good nutrition site last night that shows the f/c/p percentages...I think they must count fiber calories, because it doesn't quite add up, but it's a helpful starting point. Avocados, pecans, cream cheese, & pepperoni all seem pretty good.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I'm glad you are sleeping better most of the time. My heart goes out to anyone with insomnia. Pure hell!
The cream cheese clouds are really good and with the different ways to make them they never get old.
Your peanut butter mixture sounds yummy
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #1020
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I see.

NK can certainly power your exercise goals with few exceptions and even those can probably be handled by superstarch if needed.

As for the hunger issues NK can deal with that too as long as you don't put an onerous calorie restriction on yourself. Eat enough. You don't need a huge calorie deficit to lose weight and most of the time too much of a calorie deficit is not helpful for healthy weight loss. Particularly if your energy expenditure is higher than normal as in your case.

You aren't going to be able to rely on the scale to tell you what is really going on either. So google around on how to take proper measurements and start measuring yourself to monitor progress. Consider doing some sort of accurate body fat analysis periodically. DEXA scans are the most accurate way to do that right now but they run around $200.

Keto-adaptation takes 2 to 4 weeks normally so expect a real impact on workout performance during that period. Don't rationalize juicing yourself with carbs over it. You have to just get through that period. Tough it out.

Will you be testing blood ketones? it is expensive but the quick feedback allows for accurate and fast tweaking of macros. And blood ketones higher into the 0.5-3.0 range should translate into better athletic performance.
I will look into the DEXA scan. In the meantime I have to figure out how to measure myself. I have the measurements the "coach" took when I first started but every time I measure myself, the measurements look the same as hers and I know I have lost 30 lbs and 3 sizes in my clothes! LOL

I ordered a blood ketone tester and strips. I believe I have been in ketosis while doing IP but haven't tested. It will be interesting to see solid evidence! I do wonder if it will take so long for keto-adaptation since I have been doing low carb for months now...I guess time will tell!

Now I just gotta figure out where to start changing my diet. I notice no one uses any type of protein shakes or bars. That's all I've been eating every day, with the exception of 4 cups of veggies and lean protein at dinner. Adding fat in gonna be interesting! I have been so programmed to avoid fat!

Thank you for your help! I am sure I'll have more questions as I start to figure this out.
Closed Thread