Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #871
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Thanks everybody for all the great support.
This thread is great!
I wonder if all the sunshine I have been getting is helping with the weight loss. I stay outside with the daycare kids as much as possible and yesterday we stayed out most of the day. We all got a bit burnt yesterday. I took vitamin D during the winter but that just isn't the same as the real thing.
I can also tell my appetite is even more reduced. I wonder if that is because my body finally started burning fat?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #872
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I realy think the sunshine helps a lot,,,,:-) cherly we are getting close to our goal...... . We still need to get togeather !
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #873
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
My doc gave me specific guidelines on carb levels (30-40g/day) and recommended moderate protein. To hit my necessary calories each day, that left a lot of room for good fats to fill in. The good thing is that he's helping me tweak things as needed (e.g., since I am weight training and also training for a half marathon and had some issues with bonking on runs over 5 miles, he recommended eating more of my daily carbs around those workouts, and especially before my long runs which has made a huge difference). I get a BodPod assessment done every couple of months or so to make sure I'm not losing lean body mass but losing body fat instead. The doc is running my labs in about a week to see how my numbers are looking, so I'm hoping they are really good
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #874
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post
My doc gave me specific guidelines on carb levels (30-40g/day) and recommended moderate protein. To hit my necessary calories each day, that left a lot of room for good fats to fill in. The good thing is that he's helping me tweak things as needed (e.g., since I am weight training and also training for a half marathon and had some issues with bonking on runs over 5 miles, he recommended eating more of my daily carbs around those workouts, and especially before my long runs which has made a huge difference). I get a BodPod assessment done every couple of months or so to make sure I'm not losing lean body mass but losing body fat instead. The doc is running my labs in about a week to see how my numbers are looking, so I'm hoping they are really good
Wow. I wonder if he read Phinney/Volek's The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living? It sure sounds like it. The target demo for that book was the health care/nutrition industry.

You should google around for 'Superstarch'. Volek endorses it. He even cut a video for them endorsing it.

That bonking thing should go away once you are keto-adapted. Are you testing blood ketones?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #875
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Apr 14, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 196.2 so down point one but essentially the same as yesterday
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #876
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
I read a little about Superstarch yesterday. I know Volek endorses it, but it comes from corn, which makes me a little hesitant to try it. And it's not cheap.

I am doing better with my long runs now. In fact, when week 4 on this diet rolled around, I noticed a huge difference in how my runs felt (compared to the first 3 weeks on the diet). My runs feel so much better now--more like they did when I was using carbs for fuel, although I have slowed down some (and I know speed work/anaerobic exercise is probably not possible on this diet unless I use something like Superstarch).

I am not testing blood ketones yet as the cost of the testing strips is a bit high. So far I've just used Ketostix to check, but I don't always see results there (I think TOM messed that up for me).
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #877
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 196.2 so down point one but essentially the same as yesterday
You probably have another whoosh coming
Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #878
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Eating out seems to do that even if the meal is mostly innocent as far as NK is concerned.

According to Dr. Noel (she wasn't talking about this situation but it applies I think), where you eat, the environment, is important for digestion and drinking too much liquid will have an impact too. Most restaurants are not cozy places to eat and I bet most people drink more liquid (soft drinks or tea) while at a restaurant too. You get drinks as soon as you sit down, you drink more because you are having a conversation, and you drink while you wait on your food.
That's definitely true for me. When I'm eating at home, I hardly ever drink anything during the meal. I want to enjoy my food, not fill up on liquid. I keep a glass of water nearby but only drink from it if needed.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #879
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post
I read a little about Superstarch yesterday. I know Volek endorses it, but it comes from corn, which makes me a little hesitant to try it. And it's not cheap.

I am doing better with my long runs now. In fact, when week 4 on this diet rolled around, I noticed a huge difference in how my runs felt (compared to the first 3 weeks on the diet). My runs feel so much better now--more like they did when I was using carbs for fuel, although I have slowed down some (and I know speed work/anaerobic exercise is probably not possible on this diet unless I use something like Superstarch).

I am not testing blood ketones yet as the cost of the testing strips is a bit high. So far I've just used Ketostix to check, but I don't always see results there (I think TOM messed that up for me).
That is interesting. 2 to 4 weeks is the adaptation period. The stix are interesting but don't tell you anything about blood ketone levels which are *the* important thing for a keto-adapted athlete.

You don't have to test blood ketones. They give you immediate and accurate feedback so you can do really effective macro tweaking. But you can infer your macro effectiveness through empirical observation and careful note taking.

I think your doc is wrong about padding your workouts with carbs. 40g of carbs is not going to power any sort of workout period. So even if you ate your entire day's carb allotment just before your workout it can't be having much of an impact.

It seems to me that it'd be better to lower your carbs over all, and carefully moderate protein, to enhance blood ketone levels since that is your fuel when keto-adapted. Short of something like superstarch of course.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #880
Blabbermouth!!!

The thing about being out in the sunshine is that you are enjoying yourself. A feeling of well being is a huge enhancement for weight loss.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #881
Blabbermouth!!!

For vanity reason I started doing arm curls with a dumbbell a few weeks ago. I don't/didn't consider it to be working out because it is minutes a day and only curls - no other exercise.

But after watching a youtube with McGuff I've changed my strategy. Now I do a lot less reps total and only every other day or so. And I think I can already see a difference. I know I can feel a difference when I poke my biceps or when I have my forearm up against my bicep.

I haven't read McGuff/Little's Body by Science but I have it on my someday list to read. I was really intrigued by what he said about how muscle tissue is, or can be, built with very short but to exhaustion exercise with long recovery periods.

Pure vanity though. I like the way pronounced biceps look
Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Hi everyone! Finally starting to adjust back to life at home! Seems like its always harder when you arrive back mid-week. I did really good staying on plan and I think my only downfall was eating a bit too many nuts on the flight back. I've been slowly shedding the water weight that comes along with flying, just in time for TOM . I'm going to stay away from the scale for a little while and keep on keeping on. I may even try a fat fast at the end of this week. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #883
Senior LCF Member

Becky, Cheryl & Darin - you are all doing SO great!!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #884
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Hi everyone! Finally starting to adjust back to life at home! Seems like its always harder when you arrive back mid-week. I did really good staying on plan and I think my only downfall was eating a bit too many nuts on the flight back. I've been slowly shedding the water weight that comes along with flying, just in time for TOM . I'm going to stay away from the scale for a little while and keep on keeping on. I may even try a fat fast at the end of this week. Hope everyone is doing well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Becky, Cheryl & Darin - you are all doing SO great!!
Thanks and welcome back

Did you have a good trip?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #885
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Pure vanity though. I like the way pronounced biceps look
Who doesn't? I've read the info about working out to exhaustion before, and it definitely produces results. But it is very tiring! Of course, you only have to do it twice a week, instead of every other day.

I've had an unusual couple of days. I wound up eating restaurant every day since Thursday, and oddly enough I had a loss - down to 184.3 lbs.

Because of the restaurant thing I had steak or ground beef every day. I've been eating a lot of dairy products and processed meats for my protein, and I think I need to switch to having just straight meat instead - steaks, pork loin, chicken breast, etc. I've been trying to keep my cream and cheese intake as low as possible for the past two weeks, and I think that's the other contributing factor. I don't want to give up eating cheese altogether - I really love the stuff - but I can get by with a lot less.

Last edited by MerryKate; 04-14-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #886
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Who doesn't? I've read the info about working out to exhaustion before, and it definitely produces results. But it is very tiring! Of course, you only have to do it twice a week, instead of every other day.

I've had an unusual couple of days. I wound up eating restaurant every day since Thursday, and oddly enough I had a loss - down to 184.3 lbs.

Because of the restaurant thing I had steak or ground beef every day. I've been eating a lot of dairy products and processed meats for my protein, and I think I need to switch to having just straight meat instead - steaks, pork loin, chicken breast, etc. I've been trying to keep my cream and cheese intake as low as possible for the past two weeks, and I think that's the other contributing factor. I don't want to give up eating cheese altogether - I really love the stuff - but I can get by with a lot less.
Right? heh

Not even twice a week if you are following McGuff's plan. The whole work out is finished in about 12 minutes and you are done for the week as far as strength training is concerned. Wow.

That is a great observation about your protein sources.

Congrats and Hooray Kate!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #887
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Who doesn't?

Hooray
Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #888
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Food log for today - posting now and committing to fasting for the rest of today since really wanted to stick to 1800 calorie goal with no workout today.

170g fat
73 prot
23 carb

79.93730408 %
15.25600836 %
4.806687565 %

Ate about 1900 calories so am going to do a small strength training leg set will help me stay on track tonight too haven't eaten for a bit since ate most of my calories by 3p but really not feeling hungry - mostly want to eat/snack out of habit/boredom.

Looking forward to getting on the scale in the morning! WOO!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #889
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 14, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,080

Fat: 178
Pro: 93
Car: 33

76/19/6

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, boiled cabbage, broth [bacon grease, butter, bouillon].
Dinner: Pork sausage, cabbage, onion.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #890
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

Calories 1238

Fat 91 66%
Pro 87 28%
Carb 19 6%

Breakfast / sausage, salsa quiche

Lunch / Grilled KFC chicken with coleslaw that I made
Dinner/ same as lunch

I got my protein a little higher than I would like today because we went on a picnic and I ate KFC. Also gave me a mild case of hives. Geez, I am sensitive to anything that I do not cook myself. Now that I eat so clean it is easy to see what gives me a reaction. Cool
Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #891
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Today's log

Calories 1651
Pro 58g. 14%
Carb 14g. 3%
Fat 153g. 83%

Coffee w/HWC
1 boiled egg+1egg yolk+1T mayo
2 beef patties with 1 wedge LC cheese melted between
Diet cherry dr pepper float
1/2 avocado
Fat bomb
Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #892
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl- I'm getting the same way! Only trust what I make.
Picnic sounds fun!
Sorry about the hives
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #893
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
The thing about being out in the sunshine is that you are enjoying yourself. A feeling of well being is a huge enhancement for weight loss.
I do admit that I'm happier for the last 2 weeks than I've been in five years. Great huh?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #894
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Wow I'm on a roll!! New low...148.8. I can't believe 10 Ibs in 6 days... I have eat very clean no process food no veggies..cals around 1400-1500 cal carbs 2-5 fat 125-140% I feel so good to... Got my house spring cleaning done up stair now basement..plus I've sold 3,300. At my yard sales the last 4 weeks..I am so blessed!!
Got go to md this fri-sun....then go to work then back to md the next week end..then work 2 weeks go to west va. For two days,then back to ga..for a granulation ,then back to md for my granddaughter dance thing...wow. Then a rest till July then of to Illinois for a week..then no more travel for awhile.....
Becky, you need to leave town more often;
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #895
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Becky, you need to leave town more often;
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #896
Senior LCF Member

Had a pleasant day. Nothing special but good. Still waiting for my whoosh.

Todays Menu
B Coffee w/ hwc, co, 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1 tomato
L 3 oz pork chop, pickles, coke zero w/ hwc
S Italian sausage link
D 1 egg, bacon x4, 1 T CO
S Big Red w/hwc

Totals 1690 cal
147 fat
19 carb
75 protein

Still worrying about getting in all my water. Better, but still. And I really eat a lot of processed meats. Probably need to sub them out. Night
Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #897
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
i alternate between having yoghurt with blueberries and nuts for breakfast or scrambled eggs and bacon

my question is - the yoghurt has about 10g carbs and 6g protein while the bacon and eggs has about 16g protein and pretty much zero carbs

do you think its better to have that higher carb meal in the morning or the higher protein?

the yoghurt doesnt last as long but i need the break from eggs sometimes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #898
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
i alternate between having yoghurt with blueberries and nuts for breakfast or scrambled eggs and bacon

my question is - the yoghurt has about 10g carbs and 6g protein while the bacon and eggs has about 16g protein and pretty much zero carbs

do you think its better to have that higher carb meal in the morning or the higher protein?

the yoghurt doesnt last as long but i need the break from eggs sometimes
I don't think it matters one way or the other Deb as far as NK goes. What matters more, in my opinion, is that you have an alternative. Tedium is a killer for any way of eating so explore your options and stay within the broad outline of the plan - no worries.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #899
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
ah good, cos i really like the yoghurt
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #900
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks and welcome back

Did you have a good trip?
It was a very good trip, and very much needed. It had been too long since I'd seen my family. Coming back to the cold northwest was really hard. I've been thinking more and more about moving again, but things are going good here for the kids so I hesitate.
Closed Thread