Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #781
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
O yes! 149.6. this is the most I've lost at one time....I did not cheat no gum.no nuts no pork rinds...just. Meat and eggs butter,co Steiva ..I will add a few veggi in next week..I'm at my lowest weight now so we will see what happens...I would like to lose 2-3 lbs a week if I get 1 ill be happy. 19 lbs to goal??
Hooray Becky!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #782
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Thanks for the advice from yesterday everyone... it's definitely a rough situation, but my SO has been saying the same thing that there just isn't a whole lot I can do about it. It's just so hard to watch bad things happen to someone you care about though, especially when it's the only parent you've got left. I tend to be the "mother hen" type anyway as it is, so when anyone I love is in trouble I'm usually the first one to step in and try and take care of them. It's just been so stressful to deal with though, on top of the bad things that have been going on with my SO for a while now (battling depression and an eating disorder), on top of trying to keep up my WOE and not "cheat," on top of being severely hypothyroid on the wrong meds and trying to find someone who'll even TREAT me

Anyway, now at least people know where I disappear to if I don't show up sometimes for a while... I'm still hanging in there (or trying to anyway!) but sometimes I just get so exhausted and stressed out that all I want to do is make sure I get the right foods in for the day, and then burrow under covers and sleep

You *are* taking care of him by adjusting the way you approach taking care of him.

I'm with you on retreating to the covers. A comforter is exactly right
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #783
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post

The bounce is a test by the emergency NK broadcast system, it is only a test.
In the event of a real weight loss or gain you will be notified with a super annoying BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
This system is a mystery for the neighbors.

Neighbor: 'What the hey!?! Was that guy screaming again??? I'm calling the police again Mabel.'
Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #784
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Speaking of histamine. Everything here is covered in pollen and I am not sick. Been outside with the kiddies a tom too. I am taking generic Claritin but still in the pre NK days I would have been sneezing myself to death or already be sick with a sinus infection.
Man that is awesome Cheryl. I experienced really bad allergy symptoms one day 15 years ago - watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing - and I never forgot that. So miserable.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #785
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Darin, got a question for you. My SIL has low T and very tired. Went to dr. about this and it was very low. Caused by diseased kidneys. I told my DD that he should be on lc to ease kidneys during digestion. But I don't know where to research this to find out. Got any ideas?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #786
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Interesting about the protein. Thinking about when I was just eating whatever(meaning mostly only carbs!) I was probably eating less protein than I am now most of the time. I mean pancakes for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner and candy for snacks! Where's the protein? I doubt I was getting enough on JUDDD either although I started paying more attention to it.
Then on generic low carb I was eating mostly all protein and that wasn't working at all! So for now I'm sure I'm close to where I should be since I'm losing and finally feeling the appetite suppression. I'd be ok if I had to lower it a little too. I can binge on meat if I let myself.

Just thinking outloud
Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #787
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Darin, got a question for you. My SIL has low T and very tired. Went to dr. about this and it was very low. Caused by diseased kidneys. I told my DD that he should be on lc to ease kidneys during digestion. But I don't know where to research this to find out. Got any ideas?
I found this NBC News story about possibly treating kidney disease with a ketogenic diet:

Low-carb, high-fat diet could replace dialysis - Health | NBC News

...but they are talking about diabetic kidney disease so maybe it isn't applicable.

There are so many health benefits to ketogenic living that it seems like it almost has to help.

But I don't know anything about kidney disease so make sure you thoroughly look into it before proceeding. He'd probably need to use blood ketone test strips though. With the kidneys not functioning properly ketoacidosis seems like a real issue to be careful about.

I would email look through Jimmy Moore's site to see if he has done a podcast that addresses LC and kidney disease. If you can't find anything then email him directly. He is busy writing a book but he still tries to answer emails. Ask him if he can recommend any resources for further research and if he has a podcast that touches on it. Also, see if he can point you towards an LC doc that might answer email questions or might have a clinical trial coming up.

You can also email Relentless Roger and the Caveman Doctor (google) to see if Doctor Champ has any information or can point you towards someone that does.

Dr. Eades blog is a good place to check too. He will answer posts to his blog.

Be real careful when you email them, or post, not to ask for medical advice. That will get your question directed to the bit bucket super quick or you'll get a frustrating fluffy bunny non-answer.

Is he overweight?

And, that is tough news that his kidney are in that condition. Hugs to you and your family while ya'll work through it. I hope that ketogenic eating is the answer for him because it will improve every other thing too.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
This system is a mystery for the neighbors.

Neighbor: 'What the hey!?! Was that guy screaming again??? I'm calling the police again Mabel.'
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #789
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Interesting about the protein. Thinking about when I was just eating whatever(meaning mostly only carbs!) I was probably eating less protein than I am now most of the time. I mean pancakes for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner and candy for snacks! Where's the protein? I doubt I was getting enough on JUDDD either although I started paying more attention to it.
Then on generic low carb I was eating mostly all protein and that wasn't working at all! So for now I'm sure I'm close to where I should be since I'm losing and finally feeling the appetite suppression. I'd be ok if I had to lower it a little too. I can binge on meat if I let myself.

Just thinking outloud
Phinney actually called out WW for excess LBM losses because it tends to be very low cal and low protein - a double shot for losing LBM.

I think that what you are describing is why a lot of people do not see immediate results with NK. They were not eating enough protein in the first place so once the start eating adequate calories and adequate protein they start regaining lost LBM which masks their body fat losses. And if they start NK but cling to their very low calorie ways, the huge caloric deficit won't allow much fat to be lost.

How many people around LCF advocate eating anything like what I do? Not too many I think. I do see posts these days to eat more but those were few and far between months ago. Even at the fringe, and LC is still fringe, the mainstream's fixation on calorie in calorie out starve yourself to lose weight has a strangle hold on any discussion about getting enough to eat. Which, of course, ties in directly to eating too little protein.

But it is cyclic. As long as a few people are willing to stand up to the low cal crowd and speak out there will be others that see it can be done and they stand up too. But when those folks go into the night, dusk settles across the land again and low cal Motie warriors will reign supreme. Then the Fist of the Northstar comes out of the desert and smites the Southern Cross. What a great movie heh.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

I love to hear your thoughts but you lost me with the movie
What is it??
Old 04-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
I'm feeling the appetite suppression and more energy!
Awesome! I feel like I'm a LOT less hungry today and def don't feel tired like I think I should lol...I'm having a super successful NK day so far and planning to stay that way. I know if I stick to this WOE it will just get easier and easier and good habits will take over the bad ones and I will lose weight! Love seeing posts like this - so motivating!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Awesome! I feel like I'm a LOT less hungry today and def don't feel tired like I think I should lol...I'm having a super successful NK day so far and planning to stay that way. I know if I stick to this WOE it will just get easier and easier and good habits will take over the bad ones and I will lose weight! Love seeing posts like this - so motivating!
Glad you are having a good NK day too
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #793
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I love to hear your thoughts but you lost me with the movie
What is it??
Stuff walks a twisty path through my noggin

Fist of the North Star. It was a B movie from 1995. I didn't know it at the time but it was based on a Japanese graphic novel series. One guy is known as The Fist of the North Star and his mortal enemy is a guy known as The Southern Cross. They both have special martial arts moves. The Fist has a so very cool move where he does a lot of quick pokes that ends with the bad guy's head exploding lol.

Motie warrior is a reference to the Niven/Pournelle novel, The Mote in God's Eye. Such an outstanding story! Those two guys write the most brilliant stuff when they team up - (Dante's) Inferno, Footfall, Lucifer's Hammer, Oath of Fealty. Niven and Barnes did Dream Park which was awesome too. Niven is excellent by himself and excellent when another person is added.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #794
Blabbermouth!!!

You can do it Robin!!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #795
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I found this NBC News story about possibly treating kidney disease with a ketogenic diet:

Low-carb, high-fat diet could replace dialysis - Health | NBC News

...but they are talking about diabetic kidney disease so maybe it isn't applicable.

There are so many health benefits to ketogenic living that it seems like it almost has to help.

But I don't know anything about kidney disease so make sure you thoroughly look into it before proceeding. He'd probably need to use blood ketone test strips though. With the kidneys not functioning properly ketoacidosis seems like a real issue to be careful about.

I would email look through Jimmy Moore's site to see if he has done a podcast that addresses LC and kidney disease. If you can't find anything then email him directly. He is busy writing a book but he still tries to answer emails. Ask him if he can recommend any resources for further research and if he has a podcast that touches on it. Also, see if he can point you towards an LC doc that might answer email questions or might have a clinical trial coming up.

You can also email Relentless Roger and the Caveman Doctor (google) to see if Doctor Champ has any information or can point you towards someone that does.

Dr. Eades blog is a good place to check too. He will answer posts to his blog.

Be real careful when you email them, or post, not to ask for medical advice. That will get your question directed to the bit bucket super quick or you'll get a frustrating fluffy bunny non-answer.

Is he overweight?

And, that is tough news that his kidney are in that condition. Hugs to you and your family while ya'll work through it. I hope that ketogenic eating is the answer for him because it will improve every other thing too.
Thanks Darin, I really feel that this is a viable source for him. He did lc last year and lost 25 lbs but I'm sure he's gained it back. Being a very smart detail oriented geek (ha) he is very good at sticking to plan. I hope we can find the resources to disprove other advice to eat low fat low protein. Will keep in touch about this. Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #796
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

calories 1372

Fat 108 72%
Pro 76 22%
carb 20 6%

breakfast / side meat and egg yolks

Lunch / cream cheese and torini

Dinner / chicken thighs, broccoli, cauliflower and cheese
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl- what did you end up doing with the chicken thighs?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #798
Major LCF Poster!

Here's my numbers for today:

Calories 1601
Protein. 61g. 15%
Carbs. 17g. 4%
Fat. 144g. 81%

BPC
More coffee w/HWC
2 egg yolks cooked in bacon grease
Seaweed snacks
Dijon salmon
Roasted cauliflower
Italian soda
Fat bomb
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #799
Major LCF Poster!

This is so unbelievable to me and my family. I was cold all winter but didn't think much of it cause it was pretty cold. I don't usually stay cold in the winter. But now it has been 80+ degrees most of the week. I have been comfortable outside and cold with the air on inside.
I haven't been this way since I was in my 20's. My kids are freaked out and want to know where their mom is. I have had thyroid issues for years that interfered with my body temp. I have had low thyroid many times and still been hot all the time.
It feels so wonderful to not be burning up all the time, even with the air on 76 before I would be hot.
I keep checking the thermostat in disbelief. I mean this is very hard to fathom for me.
I like it, hope it stays this way
And I have energy to make it thru the day.
The other day I worked all day then went to Walmart for the big grocery run, came home cooked dinner and then still had energy to go walk 2 miles.
Never would have done that before.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #800
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cheryl- what did you end up doing with the chicken thighs?
I mixed up some dry herbs, garlic, ginger, onion powder and chili powder and put on them. Of course I had to add some hot sauce. Then I just baked them an hour and got them crispy. They were pretty good.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This is so unbelievable to me and my family. I was cold all winter but didn't think much of it cause it was pretty cold. I don't usually stay cold in the winter. But now it has been 80+ degrees most of the week. I have been comfortable outside and cold with the air on inside.
I haven't been this way since I was in my 20's. My kids are freaked out and want to know where their mom is. I have had thyroid issues for years that interfered with my body temp. I have had low thyroid many times and still been hot all the time.
It feels so wonderful to not be burning up all the time, even with the air on 76 before I would be hot.
I keep checking the thermostat in disbelief. I mean this is very hard to fathom for me.
I like it, hope it stays this way
And I have energy to make it thru the day.
The other day I worked all day then went to Walmart for the big grocery run, came home cooked dinner and then still had energy to go walk 2 miles.
Never would have done that before.
Great news! The energy is a huge benefit for this woe!
I'm usually the one that's freezing. Once in a while I get hot though. I don't mind the heat in the summer. It feels SO good to me
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #802
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I forgot to weigh in this morning. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, bacon, and coffee with hwc. No lunch but I had a snack of dark chocolate with almonds. Dinner is probably going to be roasted cauliflower soup and a bacon cheeseburger.

Next week is going to be super busy at my temp job (yay tax season!). I plan to do some batch cooking this weekend, and will try to figure out some lunches or snacks I can take with me.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #803
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I mixed up some dry herbs, garlic, ginger, onion powder and chili powder and put on them. Of course I had to add some hot sauce. Then I just baked them an hour and got them crispy. They were pretty good.
Sounds yum.
Have you ever tried the heroin wings?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #804
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sounds yum.
Have you ever tried the heroin wings?
No, what is that
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #805
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No, what is that
Google Dana Carpenters heroin wings.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #806
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Stuff walks a twisty path through my noggin

Fist of the North Star. It was a B movie from 1995. I didn't know it at the time but it was based on a Japanese graphic novel series. One guy is known as The Fist of the North Star and his mortal enemy is a guy known as The Southern Cross. They both have special martial arts moves. The Fist has a so very cool move where he does a lot of quick pokes that ends with the bad guy's head exploding lol.

Motie warrior is a reference to the Niven/Pournelle novel, The Mote in God's Eye. Such an outstanding story! Those two guys write the most brilliant stuff when they team up - (Dante's) Inferno, Footfall, Lucifer's Hammer, Oath of Fealty. Niven and Barnes did Dream Park which was awesome too. Niven is excellent by himself and excellent when another person is added.
Don't get me started on Footfall....Adore it.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here's my numbers for today:

Calories 1601
Protein. 61g. 15%
Carbs. 17g. 4%
Fat. 144g. 81%

BPC
More coffee w/HWC
2 egg yolks cooked in bacon grease
Seaweed snacks
Dijon salmon
Roasted cauliflower
Italian soda
Fat bomb
Jeanette, seriously seaweed snacks? I wanted to try them so I bought some a few months ago. I can't tell you how totally disappointed I was in the taste.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #808
Major LCF Poster!

Ha! I think it's funny that I like them but I do!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #809
Senior LCF Member

food log

Total: 1507
f 129.0 77%
c 15.7 5%
p 69 19%

Todays menu
B coffee, w/hwc, co, 2x bacon 1 egg
L 4 oz bacon, cheese chips
D 4 oz canned smoked oysters,pickles, Big Red float
S Big red float
Have to be good enough, I'm done for the night...night everybody...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #810
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 12, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 3,612

Fat: 328
Pro: 134
Car: 39

80/15/4

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Jal ched sausage, bacon, onions, jalapeno, boiled cabbage, broth [bacon grease, butter, bouillon].
Dinner: Chicken, cheese.
Snack: Pork sausage, cheese, onions. Bacon grease.

Bacon grease was a snack lol. I ate spoons of the left over grease I fried the chicken in man that was tasty. LC diet food is really quite a burden. Calories high because I had a late evening dish of sausage, cheese and onions.
Closed Thread