Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #721
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Bloated up today and couldn't figure out why until I realized I counted the protein from my 8oz ribeye as 4oz accidentally. So I thought I was eating 48g of protein at dinner last night when I really ate 96g. Yikes. Unfortunately I didn't realize my mistake until after I finished ANOTHER 8oz ribeye for lunch today. Ah well. Doing a strength training class tonight. Maybe my muscles will soak up some of the excess glucose from all that protein.
Don't worry too much if you go way over on protein every now and then. I don't think it has any sort of long lasting impact. It might temporarily depress your blood ketone levels but they'll pop back up the next day.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
^^ and pretty darn nice internet weirdos at that! I managed to get up early enough to fix breakfast this morning. Tea with half & half and cheesey scrambled eggs.

I skipped lunch, then stopped at a vape shop after work to get liquid for my e-cig. It's great being able to buy products locally and not have to wait for an order to be shipped. I got a double quarter cheeseburger (no ketchup or pickles) from McD's on the way home and ate it with the bottom half of the bun. Sometimes I just don't want to eat a bunless burger and I was hungry!

I think I'm going to make cream of broccoli soup for dinner and maybe a mug of LC cocoa with coconut oil.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #723
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You mean like the pure-ish fat along the edges? Probably not enough to matter if there is any.

Are you thinking of trimming the fat and weighing the result to get as accurate as possible? That'd be okay. I usually just figure my numbers are not super accurate on steak days. But the food logger I use has entries like '...choice, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch...' so I just try to find the one that is closest to what I am cooking.

I do subtract the inedible parts though. I weigh the meat before I eat it then any gristle or inedible fat I come across I reweigh at the end for a net amount eaten. Bone the same way so I always choose boneless from the food logger's available entries.

I don't know what I'd do without you!
Are you tired of all my questions yet?

This was a nice fatty steak and the fat was so yummy. I think I'll be ok on the protein since there was a good amount of fat.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #724
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
My Mom is like that. She won't throw anything out. And she somehow knows if anything gets thrown out which makes her mad as heck.
Darin, my mom was the same way. When I tried to get her to get rid of the STUFF in her house she always said to wait til I'm gone and then do it. So I did and man, she kept everything. Bags of plastic butter tubs in the storage room. Took about 10 days and were we sore. To make it worse she was a collector of old newspapers (1860 or so) and tons of other things. Thousands of stamps and coins. The estate sale went rather well, but so much junk too.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #725
Major LCF Poster!

My log for today

1645. Cal
65g pro. 16%
5g carb. 1%
150g fat. 83%

BPC
1oz Brie
Fat bomb
8oz ribeye
Diet dr pepper cherry float
Italian soda
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey guys, hope your day was good. Mine was ok. Tried something new today. I get recipes on Taste of Home and I had ingredients for Roadside Diner Cheeseburger quiche. Sounds terrific, huh? So I made it. Meh... I feel that I just blew a cup of hwc and 2 of cheese. ha Not to mention the lb of ground meat and 5 eggs. I really do better if I don't try to cook these intricate casseroles or desserts. Fry me up a pork chop and I'm fine.

Todays menu:
B coffee w/ hwc, co, bacon x3, 2 eggs
L coke float w/ hwc
D Quiche x2
S Big Red w/ hwc

Totals: 1745 cal
131.6 f
19.3 c
74.1 p

As far as I am concerned, these totals are just about perfect. Now just let me see some more results. I get spoiled real fast when I see a drop..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #727
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
Deb, I saw your thread about those two dummies that didn't quit sugar. They don't know what they are talking about - there are no essential carbohydrates.
yeah, i really dont get it, they said they got really sick, hair fell out, ratty nails etc - i've NEVER seen anybody get anything more than uber healthy on low carb, I have fantastic nails and hair

they were not doing low carb/low fat and they seemed to be eating the right stuff so i'm not sure what when wrong, my only hypothesis is that they were pretty thin to start with (they looked that way) and they simply didnt have the genetic make up that dealt well with low carb - there really is a genetic factor in metabolic syndrome

i've jumped on her FB page and commented that encouraging sugar (especially refined white sugar) to somebody who's essentially overweight and addicted to carbs is ludicrous but i've been smacked down

she also maintains that fructose being converted to fat is a myth and its harmless - ok there are studies that show that fructose is only converted to fat when consumed in large quantities but she's leaving out the part about how it raises tryglycerides and promotes CVD
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Today's numbers: 1642 calories, 125 g fat, 89 g protein, 46 carbs, 10 g fiber. Kind of high in carbs, but I'm still under 50 g total and I got in 2 good servings of vegetables. Pumpkin is still a veggie even when it's made into dessert.

Breakfast - tea with half & half, eggs scrambled in butter with melted cheese
Lunch - McD's double quarter pounder with 1/2 the bun (no pickles or ketchup)
Dinner - roasted cauliflower soup (change of plan and a good one!)
Snack - pumpkin cream cheese bake
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #729
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
yeah, i really dont get it, they said they got really sick, hair fell out, ratty nails etc - i've NEVER seen anybody get anything more than uber healthy on low carb, I have fantastic nails and hair

they were not doing low carb/low fat and they seemed to be eating the right stuff so i'm not sure what when wrong, my only hypothesis is that they were pretty thin to start with (they looked that way) and they simply didnt have the genetic make up that dealt well with low carb - there really is a genetic factor in metabolic syndrome

i've jumped on her FB page and commented that encouraging sugar (especially refined white sugar) to somebody who's essentially overweight and addicted to carbs is ludicrous but i've been smacked down

she also maintains that fructose being converted to fat is a myth and its harmless - ok there are studies that show that fructose is only converted to fat when consumed in large quantities but she's leaving out the part about how it raises tryglycerides and promotes CVD
They were LC???

Do they say what sort of fats they were eating? Calories and macro grams?

I'm with you, something is fishy with those supposed health issues from LC.

And they are wrong about fructose. Not only can it be converted to a fatty acid by PFK and it can be stored as body fat. It is unique because it can enter a cell even if it is refusing glucose by way of the insulin receptor being removed.

And it isn't about the quantity of fructose, it is about the current energy balance. Which is to say, if you are full up on energy from other sources, whatever fructose is added will become fat.

But someone really knowledgeable needs to blast them, not me or you lol. Maybe let Lyle MacDonald know about them. Or McGuff or half a dozen other gurus. Heck, probably most of the body building community too. Trillex said those people are super knowledgeable about energy utilization on a cellular level.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #730
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 11, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,488

Fat: 224
Pro: 100
Car: 22

80/17/3

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, jalapeno, onions, cheese, broth [bacon grease, butter, bouillon].
Dinner: Chicken, onions, jalapeno cheddar sausage.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #731
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
They were LC???

Do they say what sort of fats they were eating? Calories and macro grams?

I'm with you, something is fishy with those supposed health issues from LC.

And they are wrong about fructose. Not only can it be converted to a fatty acid by PFK and it can be stored as body fat. It is unique because it can enter a cell even if it is refusing glucose by way of the insulin receptor being removed.

And it isn't about the quantity of fructose, it is about the current energy balance. Which is to say, if you are full up on energy from other sources, whatever fructose is added will become fat.

But someone really knowledgeable needs to blast them, not me or you lol. Maybe let Lyle MacDonald know about them. Or McGuff or half a dozen other gurus. Heck, probably most of the body building community too. Trillex said those people are super knowledgeable about energy utilization on a cellular level.
here's a direct quote from her page, i read this and did a massive double take, this is contrary to every bit of research i've read, plus i spent some time looking up research last night and found at least 3 studies (on humans) that contradict this - oh and notice she spelled lipogenesis wrong, its a small thing but...

Quote:
Let’s clear something up. There is a HUGE MISCONCEPTION that when we eat FRUCTOSE, the liver converts it directly to fat in a process called de novo lipogeneisis.

BUT, this is largely based on data from experiments in mice.

* Mice convert fructose to fat extremely efficiently. Even on calorie-controlled diets, mice will produce fat from over 50% of the fructose they eat.

* Mice are usually fed unrealistically large doses of fructose – we’re talking up to 60% of total calories, which in humans would require drinking upwards of 5L (quarts) of soft drink daily.

SO, excessive fructose intake combined with a metabolism that favorably converts fructose to fat - of course we’re going to see negative results!

On a high-fructose diet, mice do experience high rates of fructose-fat conversion.

But do these results translate to humans? The answer is a resounding NO.
and this is what she says they were eating

Quote:
And so my fear of sugar was cultivated and, timely enough, “Quitting Sugar” was the fashion. I cut honey, I cut (most) fruits, I avoided all grains and potatoes. I ate fats, grass-fed meats, greens and truckloads of vegetables. I committed serious foodie faux pas in the form of cauliflower “mash”, sugar-free chocolate, stevia-sweetened vegetable smoothies (yeechh!) and trays of Brussels sprouts... for dessert.

And for a few months, I did well. There were a few obvious digestive pitfalls of eating half your calories as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, but I was single at the time. I had good energy, great mental clarity and felt on top of the world (I can now attribute this feeling to running on adrenaline – more on this in the e-book).

As time went by, however, my initial positive experiences faded and the cracks began to show. Always stubborn, I assured myself I was in excellent health (if the Inuits could do it, so could I!)... that is, if I blatantly ignored the fact that I had unrelenting sugar cravings, gnarly nails and skin, was rocking sub-zero body temperatures, urinating every half hour, struggling with binging, had zero sex drive and was lying awake in bed for several hours every night.

Last edited by Perfectdeb; 04-11-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #732
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
here's a direct quote from her page, ...and this is what she says they were eating
Quote:
And so my fear of sugar was cultivated and, timely enough, “Quitting Sugar” was the fashion. I cut honey, I cut (most) fruits, I avoided all grains and potatoes. I ate fats, grass-fed meats, greens and truckloads of vegetables. I committed serious foodie faux pas in the form of cauliflower “mash”, sugar-free chocolate, stevia-sweetened vegetable smoothies (yeechh!) and trays of Brussels sprouts... for dessert.

And for a few months, I did well. There were a few obvious digestive pitfalls of eating half your calories as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, but I was single at the time. I had good energy, great mental clarity and felt on top of the world (I can now attribute this feeling to running on adrenaline – more on this in the e-book).
Hmmm. What sort of LC plan is 50% veggie calories??? How many calories were they eating?

Quote:
I assured myself I was in excellent health (if the Inuits could do it, so could I!)
Yeah, but she isn't eating even remotely like the Inuits.

Quote:
that is, if I blatantly ignored the fact that I had unrelenting sugar cravings
Because of all the veggie and fruit carbs??? Or because of eating very low calories???

Quote:
, gnarly nails and skin,
From the way she did LC I don't doubt her skin and nails suffered. Where is the fat? And what kind was it? She doesn't say how much or what sort she was eating.

Quote:
rocking sub-zero body temperatures
This is typically a sign of a thyroid that has shut itself down and I bet it was from a very low calorie eating plan. How the heck else could she have been eating 50% of her calories as veggies if she wasn't eating very few calories? A whole pound of broccoli is only 150ish calories. A pound of sprouts is about 190 calories.

Quote:
urinating every half hour
Drinking way too much water presumably. I bet she was feeling pretty awful from her electrolytes being out of whack with all those bathroom trips too.

Quote:
struggling with binging
Wait. What? So she wasn't actually sticking with the craptastic LC plan she was following?

Quote:
and was lying awake in bed for several hours every night.
Small wonder.

Those two girls are a good example of what can happen when you start a diet or way of eating without the least bit of effort to become knowledgeable about what you are doing. I wonder if they were following some defined plan? It sounds like it a little bit but what LC plan is so veggie-centric? They say they ate meat so it couldn't have been a vegetarian LC plan.

They'll attract a lot of the non-LC well balanced diet crowd. But LC'rs that have read about LC for 10 minutes won't fall for that junk. Sheesh.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #733
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

They'll attract a lot of the non-LC well balanced diet crowd. But LC'rs that have read about LC for 10 minutes won't fall for that junk. Sheesh.
thanks, i knew i wasn't crazy

trouble is that this woman is a graduate of the Australian College of Natural Therapies where i've just started my diploma of nutritional medicine, i'm a bit freaked that this is what i'm going to get. I'm already concerned because one of the things they've had me download looks very much like the traditional food pyramid, the first item in the course outline is "Understand what constitutes a healthy diet based on official guidelines and a CAM perspective"

the official guidelines worries me
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #734
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
thanks, i knew i wasn't crazy

trouble is that this woman is a graduate of the Australian College of Natural Therapies where i've just started my diploma of nutritional medicine, i'm a bit freaked that this is what i'm going to get. I'm already concerned because one of the things they've had me download looks very much like the traditional food pyramid, the first item in the course outline is "Understand what constitutes a healthy diet based on official guidelines and a CAM perspective"

the official guidelines worries me
Well, the mainstream is the mainstream because it is ... mainstream heh.

Don't sweat the junk science you have to get through to get accredited. Besides, it is good to know your enemy. Having an in depth knowledge about what is 'normal' will give you a big boost on overcoming objections to LC - assuming you plan on being LC focused. Also, if you end up in a situation where you have to give mainstream nutritional counseling you can formulate a plan that does the least amount of damage.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #735
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, the mainstream is the mainstream because it is ... mainstream heh.

Don't sweat the junk science you have to get through to get accredited. Besides, it is good to know your enemy. Having an in depth knowledge about what is 'normal' will give you a big boost on overcoming objections to LC - assuming you plan on being LC focused. Also, if you end up in a situation where you have to give mainstream nutritional counseling you can formulate a plan that does the least amount of damage.

ok, you dont know how reading that makes me feel so much better i was starting to freak that i'd chosen the wrong course and wasted $25k+

the rest of the course is really good, i read through most of it today, it goes pretty deeply into biochemistry, dietary modification and counselling - i'm sure i'll enjoy it
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #736
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Have been back on strict NK since Monday, but I'm noticing that I'm super hungry! Today I consumed almost 3000 calories!!! Macros were somewhere around 84/13/3.

Is it 'normal' to be so hungry when you 1st start out on NK?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #737
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Perplexity
Stats: 232/165/136 5'9"
WOE: high fat/low carb/restricted calorie
Start Date: December 2008
Quote:
Splurged yesterday and had a glass of red while I was out to lunch with a friend, first alcohol I've had in perhaps two or three months. Today I had the worst migraine for years, vomited for an hour while my brain tried to escape my skull.
On the NK diet, I became intolerant (headache, onset within a half hour) of red wine, certain hard cheeses, and some brews of coffee. Google says this is probably about histamine intolerance, but I have no problems with a lot of high histamine foods.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #738
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
4/12

Weigh in this morning 155.2

I was glad not to see a bounce because I didn't sleep very well last night. So no bounce is a little happy dance.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #739
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Weigh in this morning 155.2

I was glad not to see a bounce because I didn't sleep very well last night. So no bounce is a little happy dance.
no bounce!
Sorry you didn't sleep good.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #740
Major LCF Poster!

130-no bounce here either
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #741
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
130-no bounce here either

Great!

Thanks Janette, We had a weather system come thru and I wonder if that had to do with not being able to sleep.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #742
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I have a confession. I was hungry on NK, but I had gotten afraid of eating. I didn't realize that's what I was doing, but I stopped and had a talk with myself and figured out my problem. I upped my protein(I was on the low side of what I could et) upped my fats again(I had become convinced that I couldn't eat as much fat as others) and GUESS WHAT?? I went from 219.1 to 217.8 after a couple of days of eating a bit more.

Do I still think you can eat too much fat and stall your weight loss?? Absolutely, because I have done it. BUT you do need it to feel good and not be starving. Just thought I would share my own observations. Maybe no one has this problem except me, but maybe this will help others who read this. That is my hope.

January-commit-5 pounds lost
February-2.6 pounds lost

My goal is to see Onederland!!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #743
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I have a confession. I was hungry on NK, but I had gotten afraid of eating. I didn't realize that's what I was doing, but I stopped and had a talk with myself and figured out my problem. I upped my protein(I was on the low side of what I could et) upped my fats again(I had become convinced that I couldn't eat as much fat as others) and GUESS WHAT?? I went from 219.1 to 217.8 after a couple of days of eating a bit more.

Do I still think you can eat too much fat and stall your weight loss?? Absolutely, because I have done it. BUT you do need it to feel good and not be starving. Just thought I would share my own observations. Maybe no one has this problem except me, but maybe this will help others who read this. That is my hope.
Thanks for sharing this. We can all learn from each other
Congrats on the loss!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #744
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: getfitnfab
Still waiting on my strips from Canada

Trying to get to know folks on the thread

Does anyone eat gyro meat? Or you think it's too much filler in them?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #745
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: 148.5/144/135 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD (start 1/31/14)
Start Date: JUDDD: start 1/31/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
WI this morning for the first time in at least a week.

And the ketone stick was back to purplish pink this morning.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #746
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
O yes! 149.6. this is the most I've lost at one time....I did not cheat no gum.no nuts no pork rinds...just. Meat and eggs butter,co Steiva ..I will add a few veggi in next week..I'm at my lowest weight now so we will see what happens...I would like to lose 2-3 lbs a week if I get 1 ill be happy. 19 lbs to goal??
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I think as the weather warms we will see more lost
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #748
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfitnfab View Post
Still waiting on my strips from Canada

Trying to get to know folks on the thread

Does anyone eat gyro meat? Or you think it's too much filler in them?

I don't think I've had gyro meat.

Looking forward to get to know you.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #749
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
O yes! 149.6. this is the most I've lost at one time....I did not cheat no gum.no nuts no pork rinds...just. Meat and eggs butter,co Steiva ..I will add a few veggi in next week..I'm at my lowest weight now so we will see what happens...I would like to lose 2-3 lbs a week if I get 1 ill be happy. 19 lbs to goal??
Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Woo! Look at all these great posts everyone! Nice WI's this morning! Love it, SO motivating to keep me on track! I had ketones this morning - niiiiice and happy about that. Not feeling hungry AT ALL...right now, so I'm stoked about that. Started this morning with coffee, 1oz HWC and 2 tbsp CO. Plan is to keep with the CO today. Having 1 can of tuna (comes to about 2.5 oz) with 1/2 a large avo (will be close too 100g serving) then will add CO as needed for fat.
Closed Thread