Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
weigh in this morning is 155.2

Boy, I really like this new scale. My old one would not have shown little amounts like this. It may be silly but even .8, and.2 amounts are motivating. This one is a little more consistent too.
Morning Cheryl, what kind did you buy? I HAVE to upgrade mine. Each little notch denotes 2 lb. And I can't see that good.

Nevermind, I read further and saw brand.

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 04-11-2013 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: added info

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
If you need more fat had another coffee with. Co and hwc that's how I get mine up!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Imagine my surprise when I stepped on the scale this morning, not thinking anything of it, and saw - 11 : 3 or something on it I thought the darn thing was broken until I noticed someone must have nudged it during the daytime when I'd had it stored in a room we were working on and turned it to "stone" instead of pounds

That being said... up another .5 to 157.5 today. Really disappointing, but I know it's all TOM weight probably. Happens each time, and I guess I should be thankful I'm only up ONE pound so far this time. Last month I was up TWO by this time.

I did unfortunately have my schedule thrown off yesterday though too so that could account for the extra half pound being put on as well... had an impromptu cleaning session of my dad's house with a couple family members who basically staged a bit of an intervention (seriously, my dad is terrible and won't do anything for himself at all... and I've just been too weak to deal with that massive of a project on my own). We cleaned for SEVEN hours straight, from breakfast right into dinner and threw out FIFTEEN garbage bags full of stuff JUST from his kitchen. And his kitchen isn't even CLEAN yet!!

I had to skip lunch (and my ACV tonics which irked me big time because I think that's a BIG part of what'd been keeping off my water weight ) and I'm so sore today in my legs/back from lifting and cleaning that I can hardly move... I'm guessing the water weight is from the extra TOM bloat thanks to less of my ACV tonics, and possibly a little from the soreness in my muscles since I know they can retain water too when they get sore.

Anyway... long story is long. Up another half a pound, sore, and irritated. But hopefully I'll be feeling better in a couple days!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #694
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
weigh in this morning is 155.2

Boy, I really like this new scale. My old one would not have shown little amounts like this. It may be silly but even .8, and.2 amounts are motivating. This one is a little more consistent too.
Congrats Cheryl!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #695
Blabbermouth!!!

My Mom is like that. She won't throw anything out. And she somehow knows if anything gets thrown out which makes her mad as heck.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #696
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
feeling a little down today. WI up 5 lbs thanks to my horrible eating last night. felt like i wanted to say screw it today so started my morning w/ 2 atkins bars ugg had coffee with 3 oz HWC so really my entire day isn't blown yet so I'm going to try really hard to stay on track for the rest of the day. I did have ketones still on my stick this morning so that's some silver lining...hope everyone has a great day and i appreciate the spot to vent! <3
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
My Mom is like that. She won't throw anything out. And she somehow knows if anything gets thrown out which makes her mad as heck.
He's not like that to where he gets mad when people throws things out... he just refuses to do anything for himself now that he's retired, because he thinks that's a free pass to be lazy and it irks me so bad There's about a half inch of dust on everything over here, he never dusts, never vacuums... he's got pantry bugs so bad I'm afraid to store anything over here unless it's in two sealed ziplock bags He's got a bag of onions in his fridge that have been in there since he last bothered to cook for himself... which was over a year ago

Any time anyone tells him it's not healthy to live like that and he needs to clean something he just spouts off with his, "I'm lazy, I'm retired. I don't want to do anything," BS. All he does all day is sit on his lazy butt, drink beer, and watch TV. He shops, but only to buy beer and canned/microwavable junk and snack cakes... I seriously worry about him. He's got heart problems and high BP/cholesterol and he's sitting here eating nothing but pre-packaged processed foods. And he wonders why he breaths so heavy I can hear him rooms away. How CAN you breathe with so much dust and dog hair layered on top of EVERYTHING?

The worst part is, his daughter (me), his 86 year old MOTHER, and his brother spent 7 hours cleaning his kitchen yesterday just to help him out and help him live a little healthier... and what does he do the whole time we're doing it? Does he help or even lift a finger to assist? Nope. He stands there yawning, drinking beer, and burping like a complete slob And then when his family leaves and I thank them (and yes I'M the only one thanked them at all) and I ask him, "Now aren't you embarrassed that your sick daughter, your 86 year old mother, and your poor ALSO RETIRED brother had to bust their butts for 7 hours to clean your kitchen just because you refuse to do anything for yourself at all?" he just looked at me, and said "Nope." And then walked away

That's gratitude for you, I swear
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #698
Blabbermouth!!!

He needs to understand that you cannot retire from life. He needs a hobby. Something to reengage him with living because drinking beer, eating junk food and watching TV all day is not living.

I'd tell him plainly that what he is doing right now will end him up in a nursing home or assisted living home and when that happens he will no longer get to decide how he lives - other people will decide what is best for him and he won't have a choice in the matter.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #699
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
Splurged yesterday and had a glass of red while I was out to lunch with a friend, first alcohol I've had in perhaps two or three months. Today I had the worst migraine for years, vomited for an hour while my brain tried to escape my skull.
Sulfites in wine are a huge trigger for me as well. There are some wines that are lower in sulfites but they're hard to find (but the good news is some are labeling "sulfite free" now!).
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
He needs to understand that you cannot retire from life. He needs a hobby. Something to reengage him with living because drinking beer, eating junk food and watching TV all day is not living.

I'd tell him plainly that what he is doing right now will end him up in a nursing home or assisted living home and when that happens he will no longer get to decide how he lives - other people will decide what is best for him and he won't have a choice in the matter.
Oh, that IS his hobby... watching TV. And listening to music. He's got so many DVDs and CDs they're stacked up in crates and boxes up to his head in the living room. They completely cover one couch, and cover the other one so only one person can sit on it. They're on the tables, they've spilled over into the spare room where he puts them on shelves. There's even some in the kitchen on the kitchen table. His brother asked him how he eats dinner at the table yesterday, and he pretty much said "I don't." And that's the truth. It's a struggle to ever eat sitting down in there... especially if BOTH of us are eating at the same time. Any time you need space to do anything, you've got to move a pile of crap to get to it

His brother told him yesterday too that he's not going to live too far into retirement if he keeps up what he's doing, but he won't listen... no one can get through to him. His doctors are stupid enough not to criticize him for packing on so much weight, or for the way he's breathing, or anything like that. But he lies to them whenever he goes in! Whether it's because he's just that ignorant and he really BELIEVES he's healthy, or if it's just to get out of it... I don't know. But he doesn't admit what he's eating to them. When the doctor asks him if he exercises he says "yes" when the only "exercise" he gets is walking around the grocery store when he shops, and going up and down the stairs to do laundry. But every time I tell him the way he's eating is going to kill him some day, and he doesn't NEED to be drinking 7-8 beers a day every day, and he needs to CLEAN because it's not healthy inhaling mold and dust all the time... he just starts in on his, "I'm healthy as an ox! My doctor says I'm fine, and I'm taking Lipitor so I can eat whatever I want!"

He just has NO idea how to live, and he's been like that since he was younger. When my mom was around she was able to control his stupid behavior SOMEWHAT... but I can't do that. I got him to cook for himself finally before by showing him how easy it is to use a crockpot, but now he won't even do that anymore because that was too much of a hassle for him to have to throw food in a pot, forget about it for hours, and then clean dishes later. UGH. The only way it looks like he's going to change at this point is if I literally MOVED back in with him and did everything for him... cooked all his meals, cleaned, EVERYTHING. And I can't do that. I've got a life to live too, you know? And I've got medical problems I've put on the back burner this whole time because I've been down here with him.

It's just beyond frustrating, but he's like talking to a brick wall. Everything has an excuse. He doesn't even go out to visit with his brothers who repeatedly invite him over, because... "I can't, I'll be drinking at that hour and I can't drive myself." Yeah, because you can't wait a couple hours before cracking one open? Or god forbid, not drink at ALL that day?

And yes, he's capable of doing it because he's had to go whole days without drinking in the past when he's had to get medical procedures done, like his heart catheterization earlier last year. He just doesn't want to, and nothing is more important to him than doing what HE wants to do whenever HE wants to do it. Even seeing ME getting healthier and losing the extra weight I'd put on hasn't changed him... he tells me I look good, and what I'm doing is obviously working... but then when I try to urge him to try it because he just keeps gaining and gaining he just gives me the, "I'm going to eat what I want to eat," and the "Life isn't worth living if I can't have the foods I enjoy," crap. When he knows perfectly well that he likes ALL the foods I've been eating!

Anyway, sorry to vent so much on here... I'm just beyond frustrated with him anymore. I love the guy, and I worry like crazy about him. But I don't know what you can even do for someone who won't help themselves. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Last edited by raindroproses; 04-11-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #701
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow.

*And* he is taking statins.

I think you should quit actively trying to change him. Enjoy his company and enjoy the time you get to spend with your father. No one is going to change someone with that attitude. Period. It just isn't going to happen. So you can keep beating your head against that wall making you both unhappy, more you than him really, and keep the situation tense or just accept the reality of the situation and make the best of it.

And I don't think that sacrificing your life to babysit him is the right thing to do either. He is capable, physically and mentally, of doing all of that for himself and he actively chooses not to do so.

I'm not saying that you should be an uncaring robot. Just see things as they are and develop a strategy for dealing with it that doesn't create an unpleasant atmosphere for everyone concerned and you in particular.

For example, he is not eating right and won't eat right on his own. That is fine. Maybe his brother could pick one day a week to bring over a home cooked healthy meal to share with him. Perhaps one day a week can be a movie day to get him out of the house and put a dent in his drinking for that day. Things that affect his living condition but don't tax either party with undue burden. And the social interaction may domino into a more proactive interest in him being less of a disagreeable slob.

Those passive aggressive things you've described, the obnoxious burping for example, hint at deeper issues he is grappling with since retiring. Retirement, I think, can bring about self-image and self-worth challenges for the retiree. I know my own father became extremely sensitive to any suggestion that his actions or attitude were a result of being an older person. There was no hint of that before he retired.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Well don't no what to say except ya...down to 151.2 I see 149 back in the future!!!
I swear by eggs and co. Oil,,,plus I've not been eating any veggies Mathis week..I had the best pork ribs with butter covered all over them..I think I got back in ketoeous yesterday cause last night I was nausa could not have my last cup coffee no more cheating for me...I'm going to take my food next week end to Richmond .got go there stay ,in hotel for 2 : days keep grand babies so d can do her run..so guess we will go to zoo.:-).
Cherly glad those scales working for you..you are doing great.
Thanks to ya for thanking me on new job....my interview went great..
yahoo!!! Becky is melting!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #703
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 196.8 for a big bounce but I had to weigh-in earlier than usual this morning.
Probably just the early weigh in.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Raindroproses,
I can tell you are frustrated, and love your dad so much. Sorry for the stress.
Someone once told me "Sometimes the best way to help someone is not to help them."
They were advising me as to whether or not I should lend money to a friend. That always stuck in my head.

Last edited by Clueless; 04-11-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
feeling a little down today. WI up 5 lbs thanks to my horrible eating last night. felt like i wanted to say screw it today so started my morning w/ 2 atkins bars ugg had coffee with 3 oz HWC so really my entire day isn't blown yet so I'm going to try really hard to stay on track for the rest of the day. I did have ketones still on my stick this morning so that's some silver lining...hope everyone has a great day and i appreciate the spot to vent! <3

Sorry your having a tough day.
I wonder if all the exercise is causing you to be excessively hungry. That used to happen to me.
Hope your day gets better.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #706
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Sorry your having a tough day.
I wonder if all the exercise is causing you to be excessively hungry. That used to happen to me.
Hope your day gets better.
Hey - thank you for the hugs and yeah, I have been questioning a LOT of what I've been doing lately...it's a LOT to take on and I think I just get overwhelmed. I'm going to stop eating SO much just because I think I can. I'm trying to learn real hunger ques and listening to a lot of podcasts which have helped but also added more to question lol...I think it will def get better, just have to shake the blahs off.

I haven't eaten since this morning and don't feel hungry yet and when I do have a pc of baked chicken and an avo to chow down. I'm going to stop using SO much HWC and move into using CO more and see if that helps in general.

I'm going to scale back the workouts and focus on movement for pleasure - meaning I still want to hit my jazz classes cuz they are SO fun and find it a healthy place for me to be but not going to run at night and won't kill myself to hit Jazz EVERY day or do 3 classes in a row like I was - with the goal of burning 2000+ calories on my HR watch. Def going to keep doing some of the weight training because I do like the way my body feels stronger.

I think I struggle a LOT with calories and after listening to a few pod casts it's like everything I've known and been taught for a long time is seeming very wrong to me so it's trying to get a handle on all of it and it's becoming a LOT...so anyway, trying to scale back and simplify life.

Goal is to find a set of things I know are good to eat and keep me on track and I don't want to obsess all day every day. period. I just want to live LOL...and lose weight!!! AHHH lol. I'm sure i sound like a crazy person now but it does help to post about the fact that I want to follow this WOE and continue to learn about this lifestyle but I need to give myself a little break and realize it will take me some time to adjust and really just need to find what works for my body which has been out of whack for SO long (and still is). I'm making a doc appt today to get bloodwork done and work on getting my thyroid in a good place.

Some days I just wish I didn't have to even think about any of this but I know it's good to be informed and I want to feel better and hit my goal weight this year so that line of thinking will get me no where! Ah, fun times in the world of not wanting to be (probably morbidly) obese ever again.

Anyway, thanks for reading! I think the rest of the day will be on track and tomorrow is a new day and I'm at like 174.6 today but that won't be the case for long since it goes up and down and I just need to get it under control and life will be good I wanna be a hot momma by this summer LOL but want to do it the right way and if learning to follow this WOE takes time then so be it. It will be worth it in the end, yeah!?! lol...has to be.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #707
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
130! This makes me so happy

How much do you think CO plays a part in your WL? I can't say why? But it feels like it really helps me.
Awesome! I'm wondering this too - after reading a lot of posts in this forum, seems like CO is a factor over and over so I decided today to cut WAY back on HWC and start using CO for my fat in coffee. I will use a little HWC still cuz I don't like black coffee ew but want to start doing a MUCH smaller amount HWC, increase CO a lot and cut out the fake sugar BIG time. I'm hoping to see positive results from these changes
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
robbelkk- I know what you mean about not wanting to think about it all day. I feel like I'm an all or nothing person. Either I think and plan and focus and obsess or I don't plan, think or care about it!
We can do it. I'm so glad there are others here to help and go through this with.
You are going to be the hot mamma you want to be because you want it!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
robbelkk- I know what you mean about not wanting to think about it all day. I feel like I'm an all or nothing person. Either I think and plan and focus and obsess or I don't plan, think or care about it!
We can do it. I'm so glad there are others here to help and go through this with.
You are going to be the hot mamma you want to be because you want it!
Exactly! You said it perfectly. I'm thinking/planning/focusing/obsessing and I think I hit a limit and spazz out LOL. Trying to keep calm and think long term but man that can be hard some days!

& thank you! I'm sooo glad too - this forum has been such a HUGE help to me! Love it! Had a GREAT lunch with the grilled chicken and avo with a coffee with 1oz HWC and 2 tbsp CO and a splash of the DaVinci Amarretto syrup (0 cal/carb). Feeling very satiated and now will be drinking LOTS of water to catch up and flush out the crappy breakfast You are right, we can do it. We got this. I just gotta stay positive! and stop eating garbage LOL...that will def help! Not buying anymore packaged Atkins stuff. I already know when stuff tastes so good but kills my stomach that it is probably not my best option lol...smh.

planning on eggs and CO for dinner later and more water reading some different threads on here and found some awesome fat bomb recipes. have a jar of coconut butter (i think thats what it is lol...will double check before using) that i haven't figured out why or what to do with so thinking will make some fat bombs and switch it up a bit keep it fresh woo!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Exactly! You said it perfectly. I'm thinking/planning/focusing/obsessing and I think I hit a limit and spazz out LOL. Trying to keep calm and think long term but man that can be hard some days!

& thank you! I'm sooo glad too - this forum has been such a HUGE help to me! Love it! Had a GREAT lunch with the grilled chicken and avo with a coffee with 1oz HWC and 2 tbsp CO and a splash of the DaVinci Amarretto syrup (0 cal/carb). Feeling very satiated and now will be drinking LOTS of water to catch up and flush out the crappy breakfast You are right, we can do it. We got this. I just gotta stay positive! and stop eating garbage LOL...that will def help! Not buying anymore packaged Atkins stuff. I already know when stuff tastes so good but kills my stomach that it is probably not my best option lol...smh.

planning on eggs and CO for dinner later and more water reading some different threads on here and found some awesome fat bomb recipes. have a jar of coconut butter (i think thats what it is lol...will double check before using) that i haven't figured out why or what to do with so thinking will make some fat bombs and switch it up a bit keep it fresh woo!
Once you white knuckle it thru and get back into NK you will not be struggling with wanting to eat all that stuff. I have been keto adapted for at least 3 months now. Before Christmas I was doing NK but I ate too much protein around the holidays and didn't keep my macros right. I got back on track in January and my craving are gone. I have even quit chocolate without even realizing it. Just don't think about food anymore.
I plan out my meals and forget about food. You guys that struggle with weight know how unbelievable that is.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #711
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Bloated up today and couldn't figure out why until I realized I counted the protein from my 8oz ribeye as 4oz accidentally. So I thought I was eating 48g of protein at dinner last night when I really ate 96g. Yikes. Unfortunately I didn't realize my mistake until after I finished ANOTHER 8oz ribeye for lunch today. Ah well. Doing a strength training class tonight. Maybe my muscles will soak up some of the excess glucose from all that protein.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #712
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Bloated up today and couldn't figure out why until I realized I counted the protein from my 8oz ribeye as 4oz accidentally. So I thought I was eating 48g of protein at dinner last night when I really ate 96g. Yikes. Unfortunately I didn't realize my mistake until after I finished ANOTHER 8oz ribeye for lunch today. Ah well. Doing a strength training class tonight. Maybe my muscles will soak up some of the excess glucose from all that protein.
So are you saying that there are 96g protein in an 8oz ribeye?? I cooked one for lunch, ate half and was going to eat the other half for dinner but I won't do that if its that much protein. Way too much for me!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #713
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
So are you saying that there are 96g protein in an 8oz ribeye?? I cooked one for lunch, ate half and was going to eat the other half for dinner but I won't do that if its that much protein. Way too much for me!
Gosh I'm jumbled up! One source on my tracker told me 48g o protein for 4oz. Looking at more sources, they average Is about 25g protein for 3oz. So an 8oz ribeye would be about 67g of protein.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #714
Major LCF Poster!

I've been looking too and every website seems to say a different amount! Frustrating.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #715
Blabbermouth!!!

67g is about right for an 8oz choice steak.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #716
Major LCF Poster!

This is probably a dumb question but is there protein in the fat parts of the steak?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

log for today

Calories 1341

Fat 103 69%
Pro 78 23%
Carb 25 8%

Breakfast was sausage and egg yolks/ Coffee/ CO
Lunch Taco salad
Dinner Cubed pork steak, broccoli and cheese, Sf jello
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #718
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
raindroproses, the situation with your dad sounds extremely frustrating. I like reddarin's suggestion to limit how much you are willing to do for him.

It sounds like your dad may be depressed, but of course you know him better than a bunch of weirdos on the internet. Please don't forget to take care of yourself too.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #719
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
than a bunch of weirdos on the internet.
Whoa there missy! I take exception to that description! We are anonymous weirdos on the internet.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #720
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
This is probably a dumb question but is there protein in the fat parts of the steak?
You mean like the pure-ish fat along the edges? Probably not enough to matter if there is any.

Are you thinking of trimming the fat and weighing the result to get as accurate as possible? That'd be okay. I usually just figure my numbers are not super accurate on steak days. But the food logger I use has entries like '...choice, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch...' so I just try to find the one that is closest to what I am cooking.

I do subtract the inedible parts though. I weigh the meat before I eat it then any gristle or inedible fat I come across I reweigh at the end for a net amount eaten. Bone the same way so I always choose boneless from the food logger's available entries.

Closed Thread