Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
I have been thinking of my numbers and would like any feedback from those who are "NK Vets" or others

I am looking at 1545 calories
Protein 63
Carbs up to 50
Fat 121

These percentages come to 105%. What the heck??

My goal weight is 140 and I hope to give myself until September to get there.
Then on to maintaining.

Magnesium citrate 100mg
ActiveNutrient Daily Vitamin with Iodine-2 per day
Gymnema Sylvestre - 300mg for blood sugar
Potassium-4 99mg daily
Himalayan Sea Salt: 1/4 teaspoon in water.

Taped a note to the scale that says: DATA MACHINE. De-programming myself from the negative effects of what can do to my "Self Value" and reprogramming the thought to be more of a computer number. Just a number to help adjust and reflect what actions are working.....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Weighed in at 189 this morning, up 1 lb. I ate a lot yesterday so I'm sure it is just water weight. I've noticed my loss pattern seems to be hold steady for a week or so, bounce up, then finally the scale goes down. Hopefully I'll see a loss by the end of this week.

My temp job did not work out, the agency called this morning and said the client decided to end the assignment. Oh well, moving onward.

I bet the person/department that needed the help is not the person that made the decision to end the assignment.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
Okay so I checked my wrist measurements and some of those height checks. Since I am considered large framed, one chart said I was underweight by 5lbs, another said I was over weight by 11lbs and another said I was over weight by about 20lbs. Hehehe, it was kinda funny to be honest. So looking in the mirror and seeing how much I'm shrinking, I honestly think if I lost more, I would look quite unhealthy, weight wise.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
I have been thinking of my numbers and would like any feedback from those who are "NK Vets" or others

I am looking at 1545 calories
Protein 63
Carbs up to 50
Fat 121

These percentages come to 105%. What the heck??

My goal weight is 140 and I hope to give myself until September to get there.
Then on to maintaining.

Magnesium citrate 100mg
ActiveNutrient Daily Vitamin with Iodine-2 per day
Gymnema Sylvestre - 300mg for blood sugar
Potassium-4 99mg daily
Himalayan Sea Salt: 1/4 teaspoon in water.

Taped a note to the scale that says: DATA MACHINE. De-programming myself from the negative effects of what can do to my "Self Value" and reprogramming the thought to be more of a computer number. Just a number to help adjust and reflect what actions are working.....
You should probably do more magnesium unless there is some reason not to. Like 400mg a day.

Have you listened to that Jimmy Moore podcast with Dr. Bowden about supplements? Great information. Google 'jimmy moore vitamins bowden'.

In your example, protein is 63g so that is 252 calories. Subtract that from 1543 and you have 1293 left. If you eat 30g carbs that is 120 calories so that leaves 1173 calories for fat or 130g of fat. Your macro ratios would be 76/16/7. Is that what you were asking about?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya View Post
Okay so I checked my wrist measurements and some of those height checks. Since I am considered large framed, one chart said I was underweight by 5lbs, another said I was over weight by 11lbs and another said I was over weight by about 20lbs. Hehehe, it was kinda funny to be honest. So looking in the mirror and seeing how much I'm shrinking, I honestly think if I lost more, I would look quite unhealthy, weight wise.
I was stunned to find that I am solidly in the medium framed category. I always thought I was large framed being 6'. Of course, I've been fat and getting fatter for almost 2 decades.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Aiya: Good Luck with your monthly commitment with NK. Sometimes ham can carry lots of sodium from Easter dinner. Have fun watching your IMAX movie...or your wife's face. It sounds like that would be intense but fun at the same time.

lisamt: I appreciate you sharing the bounce up and then back down movement. It helps to have me not freak out about the scale and I am seeing that it is a normal movement on this thread. Sending good vibes for new doors to open for you.

dasschus: There is something awesome about a new month. You rocked March! I do agree that the scale can make a person mentally obsessed! ( )

reddarin: Tried and true....look at you at 196.4. Plan your work and work your plan!!

robbelkk:I like your strong intention and the focus you have to get back into Ketosis! Walking it out, one day at a time I am right there with you!

orian: Fruit before a run would crash me as I have issues with exercise and blood sugar. What about a fat shake or bulletproof coffee or tea before a run?
I am in awe of how good I have felt this last week with my blood sugar stabilizing with fat. WHO KNEW??

raindroproses: Not having a gain on a monday morning would be cause for celebration. I am a big boned girl too--at 5 ft. 8 inches, shortest one in my family....my aunts were obese due to diabetes and this is a wake up call for me at 50.

Last edited by helpingrachel; 04-01-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Bump
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Heck Red,

I don't know what I am talking about with my numbers. I feel like I have been learning Spanish this last week trying to get new words, thoughts and actions to match this new way of eating.
I am figuring my calories and subtracting 500 calories: that equals my daily 1545 number

Then taking carbs and protein by 4: working the equation that Dr. Phinney suggests. Fat is multiplied by 9...but I never end up at 100%.
I am a Human Resource Major and had to take calculus over 2 times. So have mercy on me!!

I am trying to figure a daily groove that I can get into to see what is best for me. I appreciate the podcast recommendation as I have been soaking those nuggets of wisdom up.

I will heed the recommendations for upping fat. It is a counter-cultural learning curve for me. I think I need to lighten up with 1/4 cup of mixed nuts and go for some avocado, cream cheese,ect...

I will google fat bombs as they sound easy and would be the trick for me.
I am hitting Linda Sue's website as I still provide my family with nightly meals. I like the simple and easy menu plan for me.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Good morning! New month! Yay.

Had a great trip full of not low carb stuff. I was ready to get home and get back to my regular eats. Boy, it can make ya feel bad fast. But we all had a wonderful time.
Traffic was terrible on the way home. Saw a horse that was killed in a car accident, sat in backed up traffic, went through a terrible storm. We left around 10:30 and got home around 5:30.

Most of the time was spent hiking and looking for fossils with the kids. They weren't ready to leave.

I will not be weighing this month. I'll only keep track of ketones and sometimes blood sugar. The daily weigh ins were making me a little mental with the fluctuations! So I'm going to try a monthly weigh in just to see how it goes. I'll also be taking measurements.

March: lost 7.4 pounds

Happy April!
Hey AWESOME!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 196.4
Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Weighed in at 189 this morning, up 1 lb. I ate a lot yesterday so I'm sure it is just water weight. I've noticed my loss pattern seems to be hold steady for a week or so, bounce up, then finally the scale goes down. Hopefully I'll see a loss by the end of this week.

My temp job did not work out, the agency called this morning and said the client decided to end the assignment. Oh well, moving onward.
Good attitude. Next!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
Heck Red,

I don't know what I am talking about with my numbers. I feel like I have been learning Spanish this last week trying to get new words, thoughts and actions to match this new way of eating.
I am figuring my calories and subtracting 500 calories: that equals my daily 1545 number

Then taking carbs and protein by 4: working the equation that Dr. Phinney suggests. Fat is multiplied by 9...but I never end up at 100%.
I am a Human Resource Major and had to take calculus over 2 times. So have mercy on me!!

I am trying to figure a daily groove that I can get into to see what is best for me. I appreciate the podcast recommendation as I have been soaking those nuggets of wisdom up.

I will heed the recommendations for upping fat. It is a counter-cultural learning curve for me. I think I need to lighten up with 1/4 cup of mixed nuts and go for some avocado, cream cheese,ect...

I will google fat bombs as they sound easy and would be the trick for me.
I am hitting Linda Sue's website as I still provide my family with nightly meals. I like the simple and easy menu plan for me.
I would say don't get caught up on how the percentages add up. Set your calorie goal, set your protein goal, set your total carb goal. Eat to those goals and fill out the rest of your calories with fat grams. Actual percentages fall where they may.

Mixed nuts are iffy for NK/LC. Most nuts are not very LC friendly. No nuts are LC friendly without strict portion control anyway.

Oh!!! Lessee. On a Fat Burning Man podcast I was listening to, the one with his GF as a guest, they mentioned that he would have a hard time not bingeing with salted macadamia nuts. But he discovered that if he got the unsalted version he had no problems eating 1oz or whatever and putting the rest away - no urge at all to keep eating.

Man that really spoke to me. Smoked almonds are my downfall. But they are salted of course. I have had the unsalted plain almonds and I can totally see how I was not inclined to binge at all with that type.

There are a lot of versions of fat bombs around. I think Linda Sue has one too. A really basic one:

3T of CO melted.
1T of cocoa powder.
Liquid AF sweetener to taste.

Mix together. Portion out and put in freezer to harden up. I use non-stick foil to make it easier to get out of the dish after it has hardened. You can use flavored Torani or Davinci for the sweetener. Unsweetened organic coconut flakes are a nice addition.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky what is your husband sick with? Is it just a stomach bug or a cold? Did he complain much about having to ride back home in the trunk?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunflwr1
Stats: 5' 9" 196/159.1/145
WOE: Whole30/HFLC/NK
Start Date: LC off and on since '03
Quote:
I usually eat one large meal a day. I have CO/HWC/Coffee when I get up. I eat a big lunch and either a small dinner or no dinner. But my coffee mixture is 600 to 800 calories. Lunch is usually around 1200 to 1500 calories. Dinner rounds out my calories for the day.

I try to not eat 100% of my protein grams at lunch so I can spread them out between lunch and dinner.
So glad to read this... I was wondering if it was ok to do it like this! I sleep in, in the mornings and it's hard for me to cram 3 meals in.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Well. Dr. Phinney is not a fan of IF but plenty of other docs endorse it.

I usually eat one large meal a day. I have CO/HWC/Coffee when I get up. I eat a big lunch and either a small dinner or no dinner. But my coffee mixture is 600 to 800 calories. Lunch is usually around 1200 to 1500 calories. Dinner rounds out my calories for the day.

I try to not eat 100% of my protein grams at lunch so I can spread them out between lunch and dinner.
I'm thinking of doing JUDDD or another form of IF along with low carb/high fat. I tried JUDDD last year and had to quit because I was starting to binge. I've since figured out what caused the binging and worked on the issues, so I don't expect that to happen again.

I don't want to rush into trying something else, so I'm probably going to wait 2 weeks and up my calories in the meantime, to see if that helps with weight loss. I'm also taking a pterostilbene supplement, which is supposed to mimic the effects of calorie restriction.

The wrist measurement chart is interesting. I'm 5' 2" and my wrist measures just under 7", putting me in the medium to large frame category.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

I know there are people at LCF doing LC/JUDDD so it is workable.

But for NK/JUDDD, if I were to do it, I'd abandon the JUDDD U/D calorie recommendations - toss them out the window - and use a 500 to 1000 calorie swing using current weight calorie expenditure for the Up day.

For example:

188 = (188/2.2)*30 is 2563 so I'd use 2500 as my up day goal. Since that is fairly high for calories I'd use a 1000 deficit for my down day and set it at 1500 calories.

After tracking it for a week or two I might tweak UD calories down a little if needed but I think I'd keep the original deficit number for DD. 1500 in this case.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Good job refocusing on getting back on track!

But eat more. Very low calorie won't really help you get back into ketosis. The blood sugar response, cortisol response and general stress of low cal all run counter to regaining ketosis. Try 1500 cals which is still low for you but won't stress your body and mind so much.

Thanks! During my 2 days of FF plan was to be at 1000 cal/day for the 2 days then move back to like 1500-1800 cals/day with the protein goal. For Mon/Tues I was planning to just use HWC coffee and CO...you think for better success I should increase cals during my FF?

I used to have really bad restless legs at night then read taking potassium and magnesium were good so I had started that before finding this forum and now realizing how important these supplements are. The potassium pill says 1 caplet daily and is 99mg (from 595 mg) so the 3%. How many of these should I be taking? I have been taking at least 2 a day...that sound ok?

The mag is 250mg, says 63% daily value. I usually pop 2 of these, thoughts?

I'm feeling pretty good so far today! Stoked to be back on track for April. This is DAY 1 of many AWESOME days to come! Bought some ketostix for the first time this weekend and SO excited to try them out - will wait till next week in hopes that I will see success, but not worried if it takes another week considering the binge I went on...but they are a good motivator as I don't want to waste the $ already spent!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Thanks! During my 2 days of FF plan was to be at 1000 cal/day for the 2 days then move back to like 1500-1800 cals/day with the protein goal. For Mon/Tues I was planning to just use HWC coffee and CO...you think for better success I should increase cals during my FF?

I used to have really bad restless legs at night then read taking potassium and magnesium were good so I had started that before finding this forum and now realizing how important these supplements are. The potassium pill says 1 caplet daily and is 99mg (from 595 mg) so the 3%. How many of these should I be taking? I have been taking at least 2 a day...that sound ok?

The mag is 250mg, says 63% daily value. I usually pop 2 of these, thoughts?

I'm feeling pretty good so far today! Stoked to be back on track for April. This is DAY 1 of many AWESOME days to come! Bought some ketostix for the first time this weekend and SO excited to try them out - will wait till next week in hopes that I will see success, but not worried if it takes another week considering the binge I went on...but they are a good motivator as I don't want to waste the $ already spent!
Well, coming off a binge it seems counterintuitive to me to go very low calorie since VLC vastly increases the chance of bingeing. And if a carb binge makes you crave carbs for several days, like it does me, that makes the VLC much harder to get through.

That's why I think higher cal is better. But if you feel good about the 1000 cals that is fine

Is the rest of that pill inert? If it is then taking more than one is fine I reckon. I take 3 potassium (99mg) every day and sometimes 4 or 5 in a day.

Dr. Eades recommends 2 of the 99mg pills after induction. During induction he has his patients take the equivalent of 4 of the 99mg pills.

I take 800mg to 1000mg magnesium a day. Dr. Robbins thinks 2x the RDA is best. So you could add another pill if you want to.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
I know there are people at LCF doing LC/JUDDD so it is workable.

But for NK/JUDDD, if I were to do it, I'd abandon the JUDDD U/D calorie recommendations - toss them out the window - and use a 500 to 1000 calorie swing using current weight calorie expenditure for the Up day.

For example:

188 = (188/2.2)*30 is 2563 so I'd use 2500 as my up day goal. Since that is fairly high for calories I'd use a 1000 deficit for my down day and set it at 1500 calories.

After tracking it for a week or two I might tweak UD calories down a little if needed but I think I'd keep the original deficit number for DD. 1500 in this case.
That's an interesting way of looking at the calories. To be honest, it would be a real struggle for me to get in 2500 calories because NK kills my appetite. That's one reason why I was thinking of JUDDD, because it would be a relief to eat lower calorie on alternate days. I could probably do 2000/800 to start, then tweak the numbers after a few weeks if I don't see a loss or start to gain.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Hi Newbie here

Hey Darin,
I need a little help please. I've been doing LC for several months and no loss at all. Take that back. Started at 240 and after a month loss 2 lbs. Nothing since. Bummer... I'm 60ish, small boned and VERY sedentary. Stay at home. I've researched your feb and march threads and listened to some podcasts but not got the books yet. 5' 4" female. So 238 and need to get to 150. I do tend to stay on plan because I don't get out to trip up.

I do take Paxil and hb medication

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 04-01-2013 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: adding medicines
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Hello all - still struggling with that water weight, and now I'm having mid-cycle spotting - I've never, ever had that before, but my googling tells me it is from the estrogen being released from fat stores? I guess I'll put up with it, if that's the case.

I'm also preparing for a trip back to the land of carbs and more carbs (i.e. Louisiana). I have been working up a strategy of eating so we can stay on plan. My hubby was all "we will try", and I was all "Oh, no we WILL eat good". I'm not giving up my progress and having to go through withdrawals again!

Now if I could just get past this water weight from the buillon!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Hey Darin,
I need a little help please. I've been doing LC for several months and no loss at all. Take that back. Started at 240 and after a month loss 2 lbs. Nothing since. Bummer... I'm 60ish, small boned and VERY sedentary. Stay at home. I've researched your feb and march threads and listened to some podcasts but not got the books yet. 5' 4" female. So 238 and need to get to 150. I do tend to stay on plan because I don't get out to trip up.

Hi Lindy Welcome to our thread

Your profile blurb shows your start weight was 260 and your current weight is 238. How did you lose the 20 pounds before LC? What made you consider LC as a way of eating?

What has your daily total carb intake been for the last several months? Or net carbs if you do not know what the total carbs has been. What has your daily calorie intake been if you've been keeping an eye on calories?

What does a typical menu look like for you?

Do you experience any side effects with Paxil?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Man. Louisiana. Home of the best tasting stuff ever - rice dressing.

If you are coming from the west, your best strategy is to turn north at the border, then turn west, then turn south till you hit the DFW area. Then hit all the BBQ joints sampling the sauceless meat items on the menu.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Hello all - still struggling with that water weight, and now I'm having mid-cycle spotting - I've never, ever had that before, but my googling tells me it is from the estrogen being released from fat stores? I guess I'll put up with it, if that's the case.

I'm also preparing for a trip back to the land of carbs and more carbs (i.e. Louisiana). I have been working up a strategy of eating so we can stay on plan. My hubby was all "we will try", and I was all "Oh, no we WILL eat good". I'm not giving up my progress and having to go through withdrawals again!

Now if I could just get past this water weight from the buillon!

Are you swelling from the bullion?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey Darin,

Hi Lindy
Old 04-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Darin,
Actually, giving up my beverages with bourbon and reg coke dropped 1000 cals a day. Didn't really diet per se but the weight came off. Then I decided to try LC and drop more. And yes, dropping smoking 1/5 yrs ago did add up. Urg.

I don't have any trouble with any of my medications at all.

I've been IF for last few weeks.
B coffee w/ hwc and 1 T co lasts until noon
L eggs or chicken, tuna w/ cucumber, radishes, olives, cheese
D roast beef, cold cuts, or chicken w/salad and bone broth w/butter
S Usually 1-2 sf hard candies, sf root beer float w/hwc
I've been diligent in keeping carbs under 10-15 Last snack about 8pm
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post

Are you swelling from the bullion?
I am and possibly whatever is going on with my cycle, because my eating has been very good and I can tell my body is in strong ketosis.

Darin - I'd love to do that, but my family is still peeved we move up here from TX, so that would tick em off even more. I'm considering trying out a cauliflower rice jambalaya. I also have to make a low carb dessert for hubby and I to eat instead of bd cake. I'm thinking of oopsie cream puffs. Or maybe a low carb lemon meringue I saw posted on a blog today.

Kelly - glad to see you back, and glad you had a great trip.

Becky so sorry about the miserable road trip, and your hubby being sick. I hope he feels better soon.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Darin,
Actually, giving up my beverages with bourbon and reg coke dropped 1000 cals a day. Didn't really diet per se but the weight came off. Then I decided to try LC and drop more. And yes, dropping smoking 1/5 yrs ago did add up. Urg.

I don't have any trouble with any of my medications at all.

I've been IF for last few weeks.
B coffee w/ hwc and 1 T co lasts until noon
L eggs or chicken, tuna w/ cucumber, radishes, olives, cheese
D roast beef, cold cuts, or chicken w/salad and bone broth w/butter
S Usually 1-2 sf hard candies, sf root beer float w/hwc
I've been diligent in keeping carbs under 10-15 Last snack about 8pm
Approximately how many calories is a menu like that for you? Do you use a food logger and do you weigh your food?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl - when you pushed your cals up a few weeks ago to get past your stall, how long did you do it and did you drop back to what you were eating at before your stall?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Approximately how many calories is a menu like that for you? Do you use a food logger and do you weigh your food?
No I haven't really gotten into the weighing in yet. Try to keep calories under 1500.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Cheryl - when you pushed your cals up a few weeks ago to get past your stall, how long did you do it and did you drop back to what you were eating at before your stall?
I dropped my protein and that seemed to help me get past my stall.
I had been getting between 88 and 118 grams of protein. I lowered it to 70 to 80 grams. Last week I inched my protein back up a little and saw no loss. I am also dealing with TOM right now. Big Bounce this am.

Last edited by Clueless; 04-01-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Lindy - I think that you are probably not eating enough calories. I weigh 190ish and I won't lose at all if I don't eat 1600-1700 calories.
Closed Thread