Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb3542 View Post
Hi everyone....I started the low carb diet a week ago, although I have lost 9-1/2 pounds, I am still not in ketosis.....the research I have done says I should have been there by now...any suggestions?
Welcome to the thread.
Congrats on the 9.5 lbs!!!
Are you using ketostix?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #452
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
I need to remember these things. I'm at 131 and that's kind of my 'stuck' wt. I've gotten below for a few minutes but haven't stayed below that. And when I gain it seems possible to get back to 131. Just did it in less than a week. But I really want to get to 125. I don't know if my body prefers it here or maybe I just need to be patient, stick to the plan and enjoy the MANY other benefits this woe bring!
159 was the weight I would always get stuck at. It took me about 4 months to get past it. Nk was easier to stick too while working thru it. On low calorie high carb I would starve/ binge/ quit/ starve/ cry /quit / repeat.
Feels like a miracle that I am under 159
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #453
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
I finally found some unsweetened shredded coconut. I believe it's good for this woe? Any suggestions for what to do with it?
It is pretty good, but it is a bit carby, so don't go crazy with it. I use it in my fat bombs to give it some bulk and texture, and of course it's good in baked goods for the same reason. I just recently learned that you can process it in your food processor until it becomes coconut butter, which is delicious.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #454
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb3542
Stats: 5'8" - 292.5/282.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Welcome to the thread.
Congrats on the 9.5 lbs!!!
Are you using ketostix?
I started using the ketostix yesterday and was mildly disappointed when it didn't turn purple or at the very least, pink! LOL I have been faithful to the low carb woe and although seem to be losing weight, can't help but wonder if it is all just fluid.....wondering how long it can take to get to ketosis.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
I started using the ketostix yesterday and was mildly disappointed when it didn't turn purple or at the very least, pink! LOL I have been faithful to the low carb woe and although seem to be losing weight, can't help but wonder if it is all just fluid.....wondering how long it can take to get to ketosis.
Depends on the person and how faithfully you're sticking to the carb and protein restrictions, but I've read that it can take several weeks to a month for someone whose body is resistant. I usually get there in 3-4 days (I've gone off of it twice in 2 years) but there are some frustrated souls on this list who've been trying for quite some time and just not getting there.

FWIW, you may well be in ketosis - the weight loss is a good sign. Ketostix are unreliable as a measure of ketosis. The amount of water you're drinking, time of day you test, and your food intake can all throw off the reading. If you can get a blood ketone monitor, you'll get a better picture of whether or not you're really in ketosis, and it's helpful for tweaking your diet for optimal results.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #456
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Depends on the person and how faithfully you're sticking to the carb and protein restrictions, but I've read that it can take several weeks to a month for someone whose body is resistant. I usually get there in 3-4 days (I've gone off of it twice in 2 years) but there are some frustrated souls on this list who've been trying for quite some time and just not getting there.

FWIW, you may well be in ketosis - the weight loss is a good sign. Ketostix are unreliable as a measure of ketosis. The amount of water you're drinking, time of day you test, and your food intake can all throw off the reading. If you can get a blood ketone monitor, you'll get a better picture of whether or not you're really in ketosis, and it's helpful for tweaking your diet for optimal results.
Thank you MerryKate for the info! I erad yesterday that aspartame can cause you to not go into keytosis, so...off the diet soda I went! It's going to be rough because that is one major adiction I have! I have never heard of a blood keytone monitor, is that similar to a glucometer, I mean would I be able to find one in that area of the store?

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #457
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Hi everyone....I started the low carb diet a week ago, although I have lost 9-1/2 pounds, I am still not in ketosis.....the research I have done says I should have been there by now...any suggestions?
Hi Deb Welcome to our thread

Can you post some sample menus? How were you eating before you went LC? How much weight do you need to lose?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you MerryKate for the info! I erad yesterday that aspartame can cause you to not go into keytosis, so...off the diet soda I went! It's going to be rough because that is one major adiction I have! I have never heard of a blood keytone monitor, is that similar to a glucometer, I mean would I be able to find one in that area of the store?

Thanks again!
Deb,
I may be wrong, so someone correct me if I am. You are losing weight. I would not give up something I love while losing. You lost 9 lbs in one week. That's amazing results. I would hold on to my diet soda if I loved it until I felt I really had to give it up. I have never even used the ketostix. Never measured whether I am in ketosis or not. I just follow the plan. If it isn't working then you can make changes.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #459
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the responses. I really don't want to give up my sodas and have not completely given them up, yet....I am limiting myself to one a day....of course...not giving up the coffee.....can't make that commitment yet! LOL I am not complaining about the weight loss...by any means! Just wanted some additional confirmation that I am burning fat!
I have a Looooong way to go on the weight loss......I am shooting for losing 92 pounds (lost 9 1/2 of those already) but really SHOULD lose more like 120....it all depends on where I am comfortable.....not completely set on the ultimate goal yet....
Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #460
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Deb Welcome to our thread

Can you post some sample menus? How were you eating before you went LC? How much weight do you need to lose?
Before I went on LC I pretty much ate anything I felt like.... LOL...severely addicted to anything starchy.....rice and potatoes especially....

An example of one of my menus is:

B - 3 slices bacon (thin) 2 boiled eggs
mid morning - atkins snack bar (2-3 net carbs)
L - small grilled chicken salad
D - 8 oz steak

I eat baked fish at least once a week, have grilled chicken for dinner or beef tips..

Today, the only thing I have had is an Atkins shake.....not hungry yet....
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I really don't want to give up my sodas and have not completely given them up, yet....I am limiting myself to one a day....of course...not giving up the coffee.....can't make that commitment yet! LOL I am not complaining about the weight loss...by any means! Just wanted some additional confirmation that I am burning fat!
I have a Looooong way to go on the weight loss......I am shooting for losing 92 pounds (lost 9 1/2 of those already) but really SHOULD lose more like 120....it all depends on where I am comfortable.....not completely set on the ultimate goal yet....
Hi Deb, there is no need to give up coffee on NK unless you want to for your own reasons.

Coffee can actually be healthy! If you do a google search for 'Authority Nutrition coffee' there is a great blog post on this.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Female question

Have any of you had anything change with TOM since starting this woe?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Before I went on LC I pretty much ate anything I felt like.... LOL...severely addicted to anything starchy.....rice and potatoes especially....

An example of one of my menus is:

B - 3 slices bacon (thin) 2 boiled eggs
mid morning - atkins snack bar (2-3 net carbs)
L - small grilled chicken salad
D - 8 oz steak

I eat baked fish at least once a week, have grilled chicken for dinner or beef tips..

Today, the only thing I have had is an Atkins shake.....not hungry yet....
Your calories look too low and there isn't an abundance of fat in that example Deb.

Check out the thread intro post on how to figure some of those numbers and I'm happy to help you with them if you want/need it.

High Fat NK 80/15/5 - April Version
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #464
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, and check out this podcast about beating carb addiction - google 'jimmy moore julia ross carbs'.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #465
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Your calories look too low and there isn't an abundance of fat in that example Deb.

Check out the thread intro post on how to figure some of those numbers and I'm happy to help you with them if you want/need it.

High Fat NK 80/15/5 - April Version
Hi reddarin - I read the info at the link you provided adn needless to say....my mind is numb....LOL I have never been one for counting anything...that is why I never could stick to low cal diets! I do better with, "here, eat this..." LOL Can you break it down in simplistic terms? Basically, what I CAN eat?
I would appreciate any and all help!! I need to make this work, my health depends on it......
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #466
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi reddarin - I read the info at the link you provided adn needless to say....my mind is numb....LOL I have never been one for counting anything...that is why I never could stick to low cal diets! I do better with, "here, eat this..." LOL Can you break it down in simplistic terms? Basically, what I CAN eat?
I would appreciate any and all help!! I need to make this work, my health depends on it......
Sure.

What is your height, current weight and ideal weight?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #467
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Sure.

What is your height, current weight and ideal weight?
*ugh*

5'8"
no clue....I would be happy just being healthy, not really hung up on goal weight, but if I had to pick a weight, I would say 165 -170...
I also have a large frame and know that getting below 165 would make me look anorexic ( was at that weight at one time!)
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #468
Junior LCF Member

One thing that really bothers me is the fact the Dr's have no clue as to why I keep gaining weight. I had health issues in 2009 that caused me to have my large intestine removed....so I do not have the digestive system most people have. My body does not retain the food as others do. I have been diagnosed as having hyperinsulinism and basically having no metabolism....the Dr's have no cluse as to why I keep gaining weight.... that is why I thought a low carb diet would work for me, since it zones in on the insulin issues....
Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #469
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
One thing that really bothers me is the fact the Dr's have no clue as to why I keep gaining weight. I had health issues in 2009 that caused me to have my large intestine removed....so I do not have the digestive system most people have. My body does not retain the food as others do. I have been diagnosed as having hyperinsulinism and basically having no metabolism....the Dr's have no cluse as to why I keep gaining weight.... that is why I thought a low carb diet would work for me, since it zones in on the insulin issues....
Sounds frustrating
I hope this helps you. This is a great woe.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #470
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
*ugh*

5'8"
no clue....I would be happy just being healthy, not really hung up on goal weight, but if I had to pick a weight, I would say 165 -170...
I also have a large frame and know that getting below 165 would make me look anorexic ( was at that weight at one time!)
Quote:
Well, you've got some challenges for sure Deb. I think you need to be clear in your head about your expectations with low carb. LC works but with the health issues you have it may take a lot of patience and tweaking on your part to create something that works for you. And it is possible that it just won't work for you with your digestive system.

Or, it could just work out of the box plain Jayne (Firefly FTW).

But I agree, it does seem like a way of eating that would work best for you. On a lot of levels aside from the insulin thing, in particular the low inflammation nature of LC.

Without your large intestine, and pardon my ignorance, how well do you absorb nutrients? In my quick google search it looks like nutrient absorption is minimally affected, is that right?

Are you currently taking vitamin and mineral supplements? Have you discussed LC with your doc?

Okay, so there are two ways to proceed. Way number 1 is keeping it as simple as possible.
A. Keep total carbs under 30 grams a day. Total not net.
B. Eat 10 to 14 ounces of some sort of meat a day (fish, poultry, whatever).
C. Eat x calories a day.
C1. 2000 to 3000 calories a day but it depends a bit on your unusual health issues I think.
C2. An obese sedentary person, but otherwise healthy, would burn around 3800 calories a day at 280.
C3. So 2-3000 seems like it'd create a reasonable calorie deficit to start with.
D. Most of your calories will come from dietary fat. Avoid PUFAs. Eat mono and sat fats.
Way number 2 is more involved.

There are some tweaks I'd make right off the bat.

1. No wheat of any kind.
2. Avoid nightshades (tomato, eggplant, peppers).
3. Avoid dairy.

Wheat I'd never eat again but the nightshades and dairy you might add back in later if you wish.

My thinking is that those three things are often stumbling blocks for otherwise healthy people that do LC so we will just head it off at the pass proactively. Nightshades are inflammatory. Dairy is very individual but it is worth not dealing with that variable at the start in your case.

The nightshades are easy enough to avoid. Dairy maybe a bit more difficult but lots of LC'rs and Paleo people avoid it so there are a lot of LC friendly recipes and stuff that is dairy free. Modern wheat is evil.

Protein is about 7 grams to an ounce of meat generally. You should be fine ballparking your protein intake.

Using 170 as your ideal weight your protein requirements would be about 100 grams to 150 grams. If your protein is a meat then that is about 14 to 20 ounces of meat. But the LC veggies you eat will have some protein in them too and you will spread your protein out over the course of the day so it isn't like you have to eat a 14oz steak at every meal. Those numbers are start points and you'll tweak up or down as needed. You probably shouldn't go under about 75 grams of protein.

Keep total carbs, not net, under 30 grams a day.

Same calories --- 2 to 3 thousand a day.

------------

The calorie thing bugs me though. I don't want you to eat too much and I am not sure you fit into Phinney's 30kCal formula because of your surgery and all.

Perhaps a better approach for you is to not count calories at all and just eat to satiety. As long as you keep protein moderate and total carbs low you should be fine and you can always tighten up on things later as needed. So I guess that'd be way three.

Modify way 1 or 2 and eat to satiety.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #471
Junior LCF Member

WOW! Thanks redarrin, for the indepth reply!

I am not sure of my "absorption". The Dr's have only said that I should not be able to absorb as much because the food doesn't really hang around! I know, when I take pills, they do not absorb....it's kind of frustrating and complex when you try to think about it! I do know that genetics are against me. My Mom died 2 years ago - she was 400 pounds and died mal nourished, kidney failure, etc...I am determined not to get to that point in my life.

I like number three...it seems the least complicated for me. I work alot of hours and having to count what I eat is not always that easy for me. I do feel like I am on the right path since I have lost 9 1/2 pounds in less than a week, I just need to fing the right combination.

I listened to the Jimmy Moore podcast regarding the carb addiction and found myself ordering the supplements she recommended as she named them off!

I really do appreciate your time, help and advise! It is great to be able to talk to someone who can understand and offer suggestions!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #472
Junior LCF Member

One other thing, reddarrin, I realized as I looked through other posts and links that I don't eat nearly as much as most people on low carb.....I was thinking maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe I need to increase what I am eating.....I am going to keep pushing along, taking my vitamins, avoiding the evil wheats and sugars, until I am healthy! I will eventually find that "right" combination! And it will be much easier with people like you listening!!!!

Last edited by Deb3542; 04-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #473
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Apr 07, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,203

Fat: 184
Pro: 101
Car: 43

74/19/7

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, jalapeno, cabbage, broth [bouillon, bacon grease, butter]
Dinner: Salad [lettuce, tomato, cheese, bacon, bacon grease].
Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #474
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
One other thing, reddarrin, I realized as I looked through other posts and links that I don't eat nearly as much as most people on low carb.....I was thinking maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe I need to increase what I am eating.....I am going to keep pushing along, taking my vitamins, avoiding the evil wheats and sugars, until I am healthy! I will eventually find that "right" combination! And it will be much easier with people like you listening!!!!
Well, most active posters on this thread eat a decent amount of calories because I am emphatically in favor of it and emphatically opposed to low calorie eating.

But I see a lot of posts, too many by far, on the rest of the site with people eating far too few calories in my not humble at all opinion heh.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
i still havent found a calculator i like (translate that as easy to use) but here is my days meal plan (yesterday)

two eggs scrambled with cream cooked in butter with two slices of bacon
big green salad with chopped chicken, lemon juice and olive oil
sunday dinner (its a bit of a tradition here) roast pork, green beans, cauliflower baked with cheese and cream and a small piece of sweet potato
snack - two big spoons of full fat greek yoghurt mixed with a spoonful of stewed blueberries and a small spoon of nut mix (flaked almonds, coconut, pepitas, flax seed and pecans)
sugar free iced tea i make myself (earl grey with ginger slices and lemon)

i have no idea what my ratios are but i feel good, im not hungry, i test in the middle range and i'm losing weight
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #476
Major LCF Poster!

Here's how today went.

1691 calories
62g protein. 15%
18g carbs. 4%
152g fat. 81%

BP coffee, cream cheese pancakes, almond milk
More coffee w/HWC
Brie, black cherry fresca w/HWC
Bunless bacon guacamole burger

I made a fat bomb with shredded coconut but it didnt turn out so I threw it away.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Deb3542

I am so glad you have joined this thread. We are here for you! I know what a struggle it is. We all do!
It would be nice if Dr's could help but sometimes they just aren't any help. But you are doing the right thing. You are out there looking for answers for you and look already you have lost 9+lbs. Horrah!!!
Red is awesome and so much help.

I am so excited for you! My highest weight was 240 and I am only 5'1".
I know you can do it!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

Calories 1579

Fat 130 75%
Pro 77 20%
Carb 22 5%

Breakfast/ salsa sausage quiche
Lunch/ Jello and cream cheese
Dinner/ cauliflower crust pizza
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #479
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I made a fat bomb with shredded coconut but it didnt turn out so I threw it away.
Boy I have thrown out a few batches of fat bombs. I finally found some torini sweetener yesterday so I may try another batch. I am trying it slow cause some of that stuff breaks me out in a rash.

I tried a little bit yesterday, I also had a bit of soy sauce.
I wound up having hives last nite. I had stayed away from soy a long time so it could have been the soy. I also had a headache.
The kids wanted my Japanese style rice and veggies. I should have made my veggies separate, I forgot so I just ate them. Stupid me.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Today I started the 5:2 diet, which I will be doing along with NK. I picked Sunday and Wednesday as my low calorie days - 500 or less. I'm hungry right now, but it isn't so bad that I cannot wait until morning to eat again. Tomorrow I will be aiming for 1800 calories.

Breakfast - coffee with coconut oil & hwc, pumpkin cream cheese bake (why yes, I did start out with dessert!)
Lunch - half of an apple, 1 oz cheddar, black coffee like a boss
Snack - 1 cup vegetable broth with added Nu Salt for potassium
490 calories, 39 g fat, 13 g protein, 19 g carbs, 4 g fiber

I didn't plan well for the first day and was low on protein. I do have some low carb protein powder on hand that I can use for my next 500 cal day. Two protein shakes with unsweetened almond milk will give me 52 g protein for under 300 calories.
Closed Thread