Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
I get so frustrated, also. Especially when it's a good friend that I LOVE and she is bigger and bigger every time I see her, but she sticks to her low-fat mentality.
I understand your frustration...I probably over-share with my friends about my low-carb diet, but for so many years I was the woman who kept gaining and gaining despite eating a "healthy" low-fat diet full of fruits and vegetables. Having found what really works, I really want to convince my friends and family who are still stuck gaining, but so far I haven't convinced anyone. The problem is, everywhere you look there are magazine articles, newspaper stories, tv shows and books touting the same old line; we've been brainwashed as a culture and it's so hard to break through. And there's so much guilt associated with eating fat; people feel free to point out your "sin" anytime you eat in public.

But success is hard to argue with. My hope is that in time, as more and more of us lose weight and keep it off for the long-term, the paradigm will shift.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Statins ruin lives and many Drs know it! Makes me furious!
I'm clueless about this....how do they ruin lives? I'd like to know, because my mom takes one – she's diabetic, so her doctor wants her to take them "as a precaution". I've heard about some of the bad side effects and would like to know if she'd be better off without them.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #393
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I'm clueless about this....how do they ruin lives? I'd like to know, because my mom takes one – she's diabetic, so her doctor wants her to take them "as a precaution". I've heard about some of the bad side effects and would like to know if she'd be better off without them.
OMG! Statins don't help women. The doc is an idiot. A dangerous idiot.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
I understand your frustration...I probably over-share with my friends about my low-carb diet, but for so many years I was the woman who kept gaining and gaining despite eating a "healthy" low-fat diet full of fruits and vegetables. Having found what really works, I really want to convince my friends and family who are still stuck gaining, but so far I haven't convinced anyone. The problem is, everywhere you look there are magazine articles, newspaper stories, tv shows and books touting the same old line; we've been brainwashed as a culture and it's so hard to break through. And there's so much guilt associated with eating fat; people feel free to point out your "sin" anytime you eat in public.

But success is hard to argue with. My hope is that in time, as more and more of us lose weight and keep it off for the long-term, the paradigm will shift.
I think my first year of LCing I was a Chatty-Cathy about LCing -- my friends were probably sick of it. (None of them switched to it.) Now I just keep my mouth shut about it (and continue to shrink! LOL)

The thing that bothers me, though, is that my dh is a very intelligent man and he KNOWS the health benefits of LCing and how bad carbs are for him --- yet he still eats them. Granted, he generally eats LESS of them now than he did before I started LCing, but he will still eat the chips at a Mexican restaurant, while I wait for my fajita plate and eat the meat, veggies, cheese and guac. He still 'needs' to eat the chips --- and asks the waiter to bring more baskets! "Keep em' coming."

So, i feel a little betrayed by my dh. I mean, I'M going to be the one nursing him when he's old and decrepit from all these carbs . . . He's enjoying my slim body. I guess I'll be good and healthy so that I can take care of him in his old age and illness. Grrrrrr! (He knows how I feel.)

So, he's been exposed to many discussions, videos, movies, and more discussions and seen my health improve and says he understands the science . . . yet he still eats those chips. Still eats bread.

Yes. Feeling betrayed and a little angry, I am. (Yoda style.) If I can't 'save' my own husband, who can I save? Nobody. (Other than my son -- who does fully believe in LC and eats that way without cheats. He's been LC for 3 years, lost 27 lbs and is now 16 years old and at a perfect weight. He's a believer!)

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 04-06-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
There is absolutely NO proof that statins given to women who have not had a prior heart attack do any good at all.

(I don't know what I can link to and cannot -- do some online research about it.)

Statins are horrible for people!

Do some research -- then encourage your mother to eat a LC diet (NOT what the Diabetic Association recommends! It's too high carb!) and get off the statins.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Is it okay to just eat one meal a day on this? I tend to get full and not want to eat anymore. I eat a big big high fat meal after my 10 mile run with some carbs and am not at all hungry the rest of the day. Why should I force myself to eat? I have around 2500 calories at that meal.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Lisa, were you losing at 1400 or stalled?

JM's podcast with JR are excellent aren't they? She's done several so which may I ask which one?

Google 'jimmy moore matt lalonde atlcx calories'. Matt is a paleo guy and not particularly thrilled with LC but the calorie information is excellent and I think it mostly compliments what JR has said in other podcasts.
It was podcast #27 dated 9/18/12. There was one part in which Jimmy mentioned being less hungry on NK and was only eating 1800 calories a day. Jenny pointed out that many women would gain on that many calories, especially those over 50. I'll check out the one with Matt LaLonde.

I was losing at 1400, albeit slowly. I had hoped that increasing calories might speed up weight loss.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Oh my gosh now I'm scared of the statins my DH is taking! He had open heart surgery last fall and the cardiologist absolutely insists he takes statins. I voiced some concerns and the Doc was quite harsh with me saying post operative patients have to take statins. Anyone know if this is true? I have tried to research but find many differing opinions.

The cardiologist also insists on a low fat, low salt diet. Sigh.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #399
Blabbermouth!!!

Jimmy Moore has done several podcasts on statins. You can google 'jimmy moore statins'. Dr. Dayspring did an excellent podcast with him on cholesterol - google 'jimmy moore statins dayspring'.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #400
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Is it okay to just eat one meal a day on this? I tend to get full and not want to eat anymore. I eat a big big high fat meal after my 10 mile run with some carbs and am not at all hungry the rest of the day. Why should I force myself to eat? I have around 2500 calories at that meal.
Right now, you are free to implement NK in whatever fashion you desire. It is a horrible state of affairs and there is a movement afoot to end it.

But to answer your question... because one meal a day is probably not healthy particularly for an athlete. If your calorie goal is 2500 and that is working for you then no worries. As an athlete, though, I think I'd be more concerned about starving my body for 23 hours and how that would impact my ability to be successful without regard to any health issues that might come from such an extreme form of IF.

As for the other question about 'forcing' yourself to eat... I say who is in charge? Do your sneakers 'force' you to run? Is your stove top an armed menace? Does the bathtub dictate when you bathe yourself? There is no 'force' there is only you determining how you want to shape your body.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #401
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Oh my gosh now I'm scared of the statins my DH is taking! He had open heart surgery last fall and the cardiologist absolutely insists he takes statins. I voiced some concerns and the Doc was quite harsh with me saying post operative patients have to take statins. Anyone know if this is true? I have tried to research but find many differing opinions.

There is, from what I've read/listened to, a very narrow band of people that might benefit from statins. The only way to know for sure, since you are intimately familiar with your husbands current health and medical condition, is to research it using sources that are not statin cheerleaders. If you start off with Jimmy Moore's podcast it should open up a lot of possible locations for more information.

As for the doc, even a broke clock is right twice a day. But his endorsement of the faux-science of mainstream nutrition is not a good sign so you are right about that.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi all! I'm so behind, haven't even had a chance to get on at all this week, crazy week for me with tests and projects and whatnot. Am catching up now :-)
Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
According to Jenny Ruhl's calculator I should eat 1295 calories day. I don't eat a heck of a lot more than that but that's a low number.
Ruhl mentions in another podcast that body fat percentage makes a difference in using the calculator. She said because she is somewhat muscular, her LBM is higher and body fat lower. This allowed her to lose at around 1400 calories and maintain at 1600 calories. Someone with a higher % of body fat at the same height and weight might have to lower calories to lose or maintain.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
OMG the Dr gave them to my mom. She stated having a lot of pain and her urine turned brown. Then she said her legs and shoulders hurt very bad, she felt like her legs would bust. Then the rash came. this was in about a 4to 6 months of taking statins. She went to the dr and her eyes got very big and the Dr said stop the statins. The *&%#$ Dr knew immediately the cause of my moms problem!!!!!! Because the Dr knew the side effects. Mom didn't realize the brown urine was actually her muscles being destroyed by her own body.
She has been off of them for over a year and still has pain and weakness.\

Sorry I get very angry about statin!
Mom's cholesterol was 200!
I contemplated meeting with her dr but was too angry.
No women ever nedd statins.
Merrykate warn your mom, if only I had known.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Ruhl mentions in another podcast that body fat percentage makes a difference in using the calculator. She said because she is somewhat muscular, her LBM is higher and body fat lower. This allowed her to lose at around 1400 calories and maintain at 1600 calories. Someone with a higher % of body fat at the same height and weight might have to lower calories to lose or maintain.
Thanks lisa, do you know which one that is?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post

In the end, it is your husbands body and no one can make him do anything. Drs scare you into taking that crap. Knowledge is power! Do your research.
Statins have been found to only be helpful a certain group of men under 65 that do have a history of heart problems. I believe it is men that have had a heart attack. So in your husbands case it could be that he may benefit.
The problem is they give statins to everyone, even people that do not have high cholesterol. And women should never take statins.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #407
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
I think my first year of LCing I was a Chatty-Cathy about LCing -- my friends were probably sick of it. (None of them switched to it.) Now I just keep my mouth shut about it (and continue to shrink! LOL)

The thing that bothers me, though, is that my dh is a very intelligent man and he KNOWS the health benefits of LCing and how bad carbs are for him --- yet he still eats them. Granted, he generally eats LESS of them now than he did before I started LCing, but he will still eat the chips at a Mexican restaurant, while I wait for my fajita plate and eat the meat, veggies, cheese and guac. He still 'needs' to eat the chips --- and asks the waiter to bring more baskets! "Keep em' coming."

So, i feel a little betrayed by my dh. I mean, I'M going to be the one nursing him when he's old and decrepit from all these carbs . . . He's enjoying my slim body. I guess I'll be good and healthy so that I can take care of him in his old age and illness. Grrrrrr! (He knows how I feel.)

So, he's been exposed to many discussions, videos, movies, and more discussions and seen my health improve and says he understands the science . . . yet he still eats those chips. Still eats bread.

Yes. Feeling betrayed and a little angry, I am. (Yoda style.) If I can't 'save' my own husband, who can I save? Nobody. (Other than my son -- who does fully believe in LC and eats that way without cheats. He's been LC for 3 years, lost 27 lbs and is now 16 years old and at a perfect weight. He's a believer!)
Sounds like high time to implement some negative feedback therapy. When he reaches for a chip, scream and dash him with your glass of tea.

Alternatively, you might point to random overweight people when you are out and about and ask him if he thinks they were doing a few years ago what he is doing now. Or say, wow, there is someone that was probably eating the way you are now a few years ago but they didn't know about LC. Or scream and dash him with some tea.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sounds like high time to implement some negative feedback therapy. When he reaches for a chip, scream and dash him with your glass of tea.

Alternatively, you might point to random overweight people when you are out and about and ask him if he thinks they were doing a few years ago what he is doing now. Or say, wow, there is someone that was probably eating the way you are now a few years ago but they didn't know about LC. Or scream and dash him with some tea.

Sounds like operant conditioning, with a dash of classical conditioning thrown in.
Use it all the time
Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi all! I'm so behind, haven't even had a chance to get on at all this week, crazy week for me with tests and projects and whatnot. Am catching up now :-)
Just jump in where ya are. Glad to see ya.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #410
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Welcome back
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
For you guys trying to wrangle your macro grams where you want them to be, one of the strategies I use a lot is to eat lean protein and look for opportunities to add fat.

That can also help out if you are having a hard time getting your calories where you want them. If you eat a high fat protein you may be too satiated to get enough calories in and end up way short of your goal.

For example, I used to eat a breakfast something like 3 eggs, 2oz cheese, and maybe 4oz of bacon. The I'd forget to eat lunch or keep putting it off till I had quite a bit of calories left to reach my goal and it was getting later than I liked to eat dinner. So I put off breakfast and try to eat an early lunch so I can have dinner at an earlier hour.

My early dinner hour has nothing to do with NK. When I was humongous I would eat dinner and then snack all the way up till I went to sleep. So I get a heck of a charge out of eating early (3pm or 4pm) and not eating anything else till coffee the next morning. I do end up eating dinner as late as 6pm on occasion.

That is one thing I really enjoy about NK and, to a lesser extent, LC. Tons of positive reinforcement at all levels all the time all day long.
Red, what time do you have that BP coffee in the morning? Not taking in any calories from 3pm-7am is a legit intermittent fast, isn't it?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #412
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

LOL

He's pretty subborn. He didn't go to the dentist for 25 years and had some awful plaque build up to the point where I was . . . grossed out to be kissing him. I'd make appts and he'd cancel them. So I told him, "No more kissing until you get that plaque cleaned off!"

So. We didn't kiss. He didn't give in.

I finally gave in a few weeks later.

A couple of years later he DID go to the dentist and get it removed. But . . . 2 YEARS later. Now they say he has gum disease and needs a graft, he hasn't gone to the specialist and that was 6 months ago. (We have dental insurance.)

Men. (((foot tapping)))

The tea dashing is beginning to sound good . . .
Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #413
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, what time do you have that BP coffee in the morning? Not taking in any calories from 3pm-7am is a legit intermittent fast, isn't it?
Between 6am and 8am is when I usually start having my morning coffee calories. But I don't stop eating by 3pm every day. Usually my last meal is between 3pm and 5pm. It is rare for me to eat any calories after 5pm. But either way it is a long stretch of time between the two events.

I do think it is a form of IF. Jimmy Moore said, I think, that he considers his very long period between breakfast and dinner to be a form of IF.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Thanks lisa, do you know which one that is?
It's #582 from the Livin' The La Vida Lowcarb show. Air date was 6/12/12.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
No worries! Some of it is water so it isn't as extreme as it appears to be. How are you clothes fitting now as compared to last Sunday?
Actually I wore my goal jeans today and I could not pull them on Sunday. I wonder if they'll fit when I get to where I want to be.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #416
Blabbermouth!!!

Pretty awesome huh?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

I took my kids 4 and 9 to see Croods today. I took a bottle of water and a little packet of cream cheese in my purse. No cravings, totally satisfied.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
That's great Deb!

A trained chef that is an LC enthusiast must be a little bit of heaven for your husband

Congrats on your plans to go into nutritional medicine. I bet that will be interesting with all the mainstream disinformation that has got to be included in the curriculum.

Statins. So evil. My Dad withstood the pressure to take them for several years and finally caved in about 6 years ago. Within 3 years he became psychotic. I wish I knew then what I know now about statins.
Both my parents were on high doses of Lipitor even though neither of them had CHD, my dad developed dementia quite suddenly and died in 2010, my mother has an unusual type of dementia that's left her unable to speak or understand language (frontal lobe damage). Before the Lipitor they were both healthy and mentally sharp

Yes, I blame statins
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
Google statin nation and pay the $5 to rent the documentary, it's really really good
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

I finally found some unsweetened shredded coconut. I believe it's good for this woe? Any suggestions for what to do with it?
Closed Thread