Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
Hi. I'm plugging away at this. It really is the only eating plan that takes away the cravings.

I notice that not many of you eat salads? I love salads, and find they are really easy to make NK.

Yesterday for dinner I had a wedge salad with a wedge of iceberg topped with blue cheese dressing, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and avocado. It was so good, I think I'll have the same for lunch today.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
Hi. I'm plugging away at this. It really is the only eating plan that takes away the cravings.

I notice that not many of you eat salads? I love salads, and find they are really easy to make NK.

Yesterday for dinner I had a wedge salad with a wedge of iceberg topped with blue cheese dressing, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and avocado. It was so good, I think I'll have the same for lunch today.
Hi there! I do eat salads on occasion... I used to a lot more before I started to have troubles keeping my sodium intake under control. I suspect salads would be more doable for the NORMAL NK-ers because I try to keep my sodium under 2000mg per day so I don't start retaining water. Unfortunately salad dressings and toppings are all too often sodium bombs so I have to watch it... but I love them too and I wish I could eat them more often still!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Well my 12 hour day of flights to the south went well...we packed a whole carryon with food (for the 3 kids, and low carb for the hubby and I). 3:30 am wake up (ugh!) and I had a CO coffee. We had nuts on the first flight, oopsie rolls and chicken breast & string cheese on the 2nd flight and a few more nuts on the third flight. Dinner was prime rib for the hubby and half a filet and crawfish sauce on top and sautéed mushrooms.

It's going to be really tough here...they are making jambalaya and white beans for the party. My brother in law won't even allow cauliflower in the house so I can't make the cauliflower jambalaya that I was hoping to. Need to figure out a good substitute to keep me away from all those carbs.

I hate being away from my own kitchen and not having control over meal time.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Weigh in 157.6
I saw a loss there and now I am getting a bit impatient. Had a little bit of a stressful day yesterday so I guess it was no surprise that I didn't the scale go back down.
oh well
I'm sure it will get back to normal-ish next week and start trending down again
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #275
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Apr 05, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 198.0 for another big bounce. I blame it on Cheryl because I saw her bounce post before I did my final weigh-in this morning. Most mornings I weigh twice. Once when I first get up and again a little later after I've sipped a little bit of coffee to see if any magic will happen iykwim.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #276
Blabbermouth!!!

For a while I was eating salads almost every day. I got burned out on them but lately I've started adding them back. My new thing is to melt some bacon grease, maybe 10g, and coat the shredded lettuce with it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
YEA!!!!!!!!!! I am down 4 lbs. Nothing has worked for me.. Darin, thank you so much for this thread.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
For a while I was eating salads almost every day. I got burned out on them but lately I've started adding them back. My new thing is to melt some bacon grease, maybe 10g, and coat the shredded lettuce with it.
I did this last night with some salad greens, a little avocado, parm cheese and bacon grease.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #279
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
So I'd like to hang out with you all. I'll try and keep my story short.
I did NK last year for a short time, on its own and combined with JUDDD. Jumped around trying everything. Even vegan for a minute. Bounced around a 10 lb range. What I have found for me is that I can maintain well on any of the plans I tried. I believe you can get some of the same health benefits from some different plans too. I Struggle with cravings and binging on all except NK.
I started back on NK at the beginning of the week. I'm down 5lbs. I'm only 8 away from my goal.
Did any of you feel hungry when you first started? I've felt hungry on a couple of the days and barely any hunger on the other days. Usually if I really feel like I need something I'll eat a tbsp of butter is that weird? Do you have any other suggestions?
TY
Hi Janette Welcome back

It is normal to experience (I guess it'd be called 'unusual hunger' because it stands out a bit to the person experiencing it) hunger in the transition to keto-adaptation. At least from the posts I've seen and my own experiences. Once keto-adapted the hunger should be almost entirely subordinate to your desires. You'll experience it but it won't be unmanageable or an imperative. In fact, I've ignored it and it has gone away before.

Using fat to stifle obtrusive hunger is a good plan. HWC floats are good. CO off the spoon. Butter straight up.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #280
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
YEA!!!!!!!!!! I am down 4 lbs. Nothing has worked for me.. Darin, thank you so much for this thread.

Hooray!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Well my 12 hour day of flights to the south went well...we packed a whole carryon with food (for the 3 kids, and low carb for the hubby and I). 3:30 am wake up (ugh!) and I had a CO coffee. We had nuts on the first flight, oopsie rolls and chicken breast & string cheese on the 2nd flight and a few more nuts on the third flight. Dinner was prime rib for the hubby and half a filet and crawfish sauce on top and sautéed mushrooms.

It's going to be really tough here...they are making jambalaya and white beans for the party. My brother in law won't even allow cauliflower in the house so I can't make the cauliflower jambalaya that I was hoping to. Need to figure out a good substitute to keep me away from all those carbs.

I haven't flown, thank God, for years now. Is it usual these days to whip out a carry on full of food and start chowing down?

You should fake a hate email to your BIL from Advocates for Cauliflower Liberation United. "Sir, it has come to our attention that you despise cauliflower and won't allow it in the house. You should be aware that we have dispatched teams to pelt your house with cauliflower crowns and will do so until you rethink your rash decree. Phase Two will be crowns smeared with grass fed butter. Also, you should know we have, in person, requested a drone, to be armed with full cauliflower heads, from DHS and once our messenger has been released from federal custody we are certain that our request will be fulfilled."
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Wow, food yesterday:

227g fat 81.5%
91g prot 14.5%
25 carb (6 of these fiber) 4%

Ate about 2500 calories so was nervous and almost didn't do a WI but decided that a Fri morning weekly WI is a good idea that way when I splurge a little on Fri's I will have time to clean it up and continue to lose. My honey and I have our date nights Fri's and we get big omelets with fresh veggies and meats/cheese so is on plan but higher in prot probably than I maybe need and high calorie so yeah, just don't want to see the gain in the morning so won't step on scale lol...anyway, WI was AWESOME 169.4 so down 1.6 from yesterday morning! CRAZY. This has to be a WOE for life because the urge to binge is literally gone. I'm nervous about it, no lie...idk why but it just feels so gone that I'm like questioning if it's too good to be true LOL...but def happy in general about all of this, can't see any reason not to stay with NK!! I had ketones show on my strip this morning too, STOKED!

splurged a little after my morning workout and had a quest choc chip prot bar...hoping it doesn't hurt and having lots of fat now to get my total % up today so far

hope everyone has a FAB friday!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #283
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Does Dr. Phinney in his book NOT recommend exercise? or too much? I run 10 miles a day.
Well, that would be strange indeed since both Phinney and Volek have been lifelong fitness advocates.

From page 125 in the Living book.

"This study demonstrated on average that exercise is not a robust stimulus for weight loss. But the combination of dietary energy restriction with resistance training resulted in better maintenance of lean tissue during weight loss." [emphasis in original]

Maybe the Performance book addresses your question more fully?

Phinney has said, in the Long Term Stalls podcast, that too much exercise of any sort runs counter to weight loss.

Last edited by reddarin; 04-05-2013 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #284
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Wow, food yesterday:

227g fat 81.5%
91g prot 14.5%

Ate about 2500 calories so was nervous and almost didn't do a WI but decided that a Fri morning weekly WI is a good idea that way when I splurge a little on Fri's I will have time to clean it up and continue to lose. My honey and I have our date nights Fri's and we get big omelets with fresh veggies and meats/cheese so is on plan but higher in prot probably than I maybe need and high calorie so yeah, just don't want to see the gain in the morning so won't step on scale lol...anyway, WI was AWESOME 169.4 so down 1.6 from yesterday morning! CRAZY. This has to be a WOE for life because the urge to binge is literally gone. I'm nervous about it, no lie...idk why but it just feels so gone that I'm like questioning if it's too good to be true LOL...but def happy in general about all of this, can't see any reason not to stay with NK!! I had ketones show on my strip this morning too, STOKED!

splurged a little after my morning workout and had a quest choc chip prot bar...hoping it doesn't hurt and having lots of fat now to get my total % up today so far

Hooray Robin!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Well, that would be strange indeed since both Phinney and Volek have been lifelong fitness advocates.

From page 125 in the Living book.

"This study demonstrated on average that exercise is not a robust stimulus for weight loss. But the combination of dietary energy restriction with resistance training resulted in better maintenance of lean tissue during weight loss." [emphasis in original]

Maybe the Performance book addresses your question more fully?

Phinney has said, in the Long Term Stalls podcast, that too much exercise of any sort runs counter to weight loss.
The confusion may come from Phinney & Volek noting that studies have shown when obese people exercise regularly, their resting metabolism slows by up to 15%. See chapter 18 of The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, section 7. They also expressed concern that very heavy people may do damage to knees, back, and hips with too much exercise. Their recommendation is to lose weight through carb restriction first and then decide when to become active. Again, this is only for people who are quite heavy and have not been active before starting a very low carb diet.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

The appetite suppression and control over cravings are huge for me. It just gets old obsessing over food. Not to mention what it does to the body.
Something that is interesting to me is the use of this diet to treat epileptic patients. I know they use it for kids. I wonder if its also used for adults. My dad died when I was a kid from a grand mal seizure in a hot tub. I wonder how his life would have been different had he known of this WOE.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Food Log for Apr 4

1395 cals
116gr fat = 74%
78gr pro = 23%
6gr net carb = 3%

B: 1T CO, 2 eggs scrambled with 12gr butter
L: Chilli = 3oz ground chicken + 3oz ground beef
D: 7oz Rib steak, 110gr green beans, 12gr butter
S: 1 egg yolk, 0.5oz cream cheese
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 198.0 for another big bounce. I blame it on Cheryl because I saw her bounce post before I did my final weigh-in this morning. Most mornings I weigh twice. Once when I first get up and again a little later after I've sipped a little bit of coffee to see if any magic will happen iykwim.
OOPS!!
Sorry bout that
Hoping for better weigh ins tomorrow
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post

Glad you loving it! Me too.
That salad sounds great!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
WahOOO!!!
That is awesome Congratulations!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
The appetite suppression and control over cravings are huge for me. It just gets old obsessing over food. Not to mention what it does to the body.
Something that is interesting to me is the use of this diet to treat epileptic patients. I know they use it for kids. I wonder if its also used for adults. My dad died when I was a kid from a grand mal seizure in a hot tub. I wonder how his life would have been different had he known of this WOE.
I wonder the same thing about my Uncle. He took lots of meds, some for seizures and some for pain. Desert storm ruined him. He came home with lots of health issues, The V A hospital sent him drugs regularly till he finally took too many.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Wow, food yesterday:

227g fat 81.5%
91g prot 14.5%

Congrats on the 1.6 loss!!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post

We like cauliflower but every time I cook it my kids tell me it smells like butt. That's their favorite saying.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Yahoo my side started aching!!!

That means I am burning fat. so weird but I have been waiting on it to start hurting for a week and a half.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
We like cauliflower but every time I cook it my kids tell me it smells like butt. That's their favorite saying.
HAHAHA! i was buying jicima yesterday and the little girl checking me out (she was MAYBE 16) asked what it tasted like and i said a cross between a celery and an apple...unless it isn't a good one then it tastes like butt...kinda like raw cauliflower! lol
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:

That means I am burning fat. so weird but I have been waiting on it to start hurting for a week and a half.
HUH??? not good that you are hurting....but really? what causes this?!?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
HAHAHA! i was buying jicima yesterday and the little girl checking me out (she was MAYBE 16) asked what it tasted like and i said a cross between a celery and an apple...unless it isn't a good one then it tastes like butt...kinda like raw cauliflower! lol
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
HUH??? not good that you are hurting....but really? what causes this?!?
Yes, curious too! Feel like my side was hurtin but thought it was from my ab routine lol...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Roasted cauliflower is probably my favorite food right now!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

?????
Closed Thread