Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   how often do you poo? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/800901-how-often-do-you-poo.html)

3fatcats 04-01-2013 03:25 AM

how often do you poo?

Sorry,gotta ask. I maybe go once every 5 days. I know there is a lot less waste, but does that seem right with eating all this fat? Shouldn't it be sliding out? :hyst: This is a serious question, by the way! :cry:

reddarin 04-01-2013 09:41 AM

I go several times a day and normally at least twice. I do not eat extra fiber but I keep my fat high. Usually about 70% of my ~2300 calories.

Is this lack of regularity new for you? Has it been like this since you started Atkins?

helpingrachel 04-01-2013 09:43 AM

New to the NK movement. What else is new is a daily bathroom visit. In the past I could go days. Wondering if fiber is needed at all on this WOE?

reddarin 04-01-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helpingrachel (Post 16348095)
New to the NK movement. What else is new is a daily bathroom visit. In the past I could go days. Wondering if fiber is needed at all on this WOE?

No. Extra fiber is not needed. Fat is far superior to fiber for regularity anyway. I think if you google around you can find information on the mechanics behind why fiber helps with regularity. Pretty dang gross. Basically the roughage helps by busting open cells lining the intestine which lubricates the process. Fat lubricates the process because it is fat.

reddarin 04-01-2013 09:49 AM

Supplement with magnesium to help with regularity (and a jillion other things). Google 'jimmy moore magnesium robbins' for an excellent podcast about the wonders of magnesium.

lilbeetle 04-01-2013 11:19 AM

After the first week, I go every day. Its not as bulky as it used to be tho.

raindroproses 04-01-2013 01:32 PM

It took me a while of once every 5-7 days to really regulate things, so don't worry too much! I know it's alarming, but if you up your fat enough you'll eventually see something start moving :) Also, definitely supplement with magnesium because that's really helped me too and it seems to help most people! I started out taking 250mg at night and that seemed to help get things moving after a few days. Now I'm up to 350mg because my new multi contains an extra 100mg.

reddarin 04-01-2013 02:51 PM

Ya'll Google "fat burning man Dr. Lauren Noel: Food as Medicine, Why Doctors Smoke, and How to Have a Rockstar Poop".

Right at 15 minutes Abel asks Dr. Noel about having a rockstar poop. She talks about probiotics, prebiotics, eating environment, et. al. She also mentions drinking too much while eating because it dilutes your stomach acid. That is very interesting all by itself but it is also really interesting because limiting fluids is part of the Leptin Reset that Deb34 posted a few days ago.

Right at 25 minutes Dr. Noel talks about thyroid. She says that gut flora can be a big player in thyroid health. And she says that gut flora can take a long time to recover from antibiotics. She also describes TSH, T4 and T3 and making sure the doc is actually testing for T3 instead of diagnosis by inferring from the other two numbers.

Lots of other good stuff on the podcast too.

reddarin 04-01-2013 02:52 PM

Another thing to consider for regularity is how much pure water you are drinking. You need to stay hydrated to stay regular.

3fatcats 04-01-2013 05:00 PM

I drink a lot of water everyday. I've been doing Atkins for years, but not this high of fat. I used to go once every couple of days to every 5! With just a little poo to show for it! :hyst:

atomickate 04-01-2013 08:42 PM

It took me awhile to get to a regular poo. Usually I do once every one to two days, though. I make sure I get some fiber through vegetables and plenty of water.

lisamt 04-02-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16348119)
No. Extra fiber is not needed. Fat is far superior to fiber for regularity anyway. I think if you google around you can find information on the mechanics behind why fiber helps with regularity. Pretty dang gross. Basically the roughage helps by busting open cells lining the intestine which lubricates the process. Fat lubricates the process because it is fat.

I've found fat to be way more helpful than fiber in keeping regular. Magnesium helps too.

I used to have the opposite problem, of too frequent bathroom visits. Going low carb, high fat has fixed all that. :)

weightisover 04-06-2013 07:39 PM

I go several times a day, but I think that may be the whole no gallbladder+HF diet :)

charitysmom1029 01-17-2014 01:00 PM

About every 2-3 days for me

SuzanneM 01-17-2014 06:30 PM

Every day with the help of magnesium, but ONLY in the morning.

Tulip 01-17-2014 09:23 PM

Every single day. Sometimes 3x per day. :)

Paleo WOE plus Jigsaw SRT and EVCO/MCT.

luckymuma 01-20-2014 03:44 AM

Ugh, I'm the opposite. I did a fat fast for three days a little while ago...and oh my, since then it's awful...cramping, loose, explosive after every single meal :( not an infection, or anything, not food poisoning...have had to take Imodium to stop it. I don't think my body is liking all the fat :(

Mimosa23 01-22-2014 03:01 AM

I go once or twice a day...

Mine is soft but not loose, and the amount is not a lot. For me, the fat and lots of water really help me being regular.

buttonwillow 01-22-2014 04:50 PM

...very small amounts nearly every time I visit the procelain throne, and a larger amount about once every 24 - 36 hours. I don't eat much in the way of vegetables and I don't worry about fiber.

Galveston Gal 01-27-2014 08:10 PM

There is a scale that is generally used to refer to "classification" of feces.
If you Google/Bing: "Bristol Stool Chart"...you will get many sources for that info.
Wickepedia has a clear definition as well as the chart.

Personally...I have been constipated my whole life. It was usually once every 5 days.
Even after adopting LCHF...no matter the fat content of my program (usually above 70%) I still rely on MiraLax Daily. It has been a Godsend!
Now, daily is a comfort that I can live with..:shake: and I am so much better for it!

jedswife 01-28-2014 02:36 PM

i go probably every other day

REMEMBER if you are not uncomfortable or having any pain etc - it is absolutely not necessary to go every day - if however you are having pain or extremely constipated you need to do something about it - if not leave it alone