Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
My ketone meter is here!

Unfortunately it arrived just before I'm headed out of town for a few days, and I'd prefer not to start experimenting during travel chaos.

After reading Dr. Eenfeldt's posts about optimal ketosis, and how many people on low-carb are actually at low levels, I splurged on a half-price Precision Xtra ketone meter.

I'm figuring I'll track my morning ketones for thirty days. I've been doing low carb for a little over four months already, and just started keeping track of protein grams too. I'm hoping to get into the optimal ketosis range and stay there.

Anyone done something similar, and have advice to offer? It is much appreciated!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pippa
Stats: Start:156/current: 144.4/goal: 135 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins Induction / nut ketosis 70% fat
Start Date: Restart Jan 20, 2013
I am starting NK as well after being on induction since Jan 20. March has been slow going so i did a trial fat fast friday and saturday and lost 2.4 lbs. Being Easter today, I did really well with lunch -- stayed low carb but then had a couple bites of real cheesecake ugh. So am starting FF again tmrw. I was only able to get 80% fat on friday but stayed at 1,000 cals. Saturday I actually had too much protein and 1,380 calories but carbs were at 9.8grams. This is hard! Still had a good loss though. I ordered the Nova Max(?) ketone meter since the sticks are cheaper than the Precision meter. Hoping to get it tmrw. How often do you guys plan to test? These things are too expensive to test every day in the long run but i think I will test every other day the first week just to see where I am. Plan to make the Boursin stuffed mushrooms tmrw. What is everyone eating on this? Are you sticking to the Fat Fast diet or making up your own foods? Basically I've just been adding fat (cream and butter and mayo etc ) to everything and eating small snack meals instead of 3 full meals a day.

Last edited by Pippa; 03-31-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking of testing every day for a month and making a chart, to get a feel for how things vary, and then less often from then on out.

I've been counting carbs for a while, but the program I'm using didn't have any maximum amount of protein. So I used the protein calculations from DANDR and started counting protein grams too.

I just cook whatever I want, as long as it's using ingredients allowed on the Duke University no sugar/no starch diet (i.e., meat, small amounts of cheese/heavy whipping cream/etc., non-starchy vegetables) and my carb and protein amounts are at the right levels.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I've had mine for a month. I test about every three days. That's often enough to see a trend, but I tend to be curious, so sometimes more often. That's a waste of strips though.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: atomickate
Stats: 260/200/150
WOE: Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: August 2013
I usually test every few days just to make sure everything's still doing what its supposed to be doing.
atomickate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

If other people aren't seeing much day-to-day variation, it's probably safe for me to follow suit.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: atomickate
Stats: 260/200/150
WOE: Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: August 2013
Typically I test on days that I tried a food that I wasn't sure about, like a new type of sugar alcohol, or a new "low carb" product. Sometimes the net carbs don't affect everyone the same way.
atomickate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2014
I would test every day if I could afford it. Those strips are ridiculous!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote