Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Another ketosis question - morning hunger

I have a question that I have been pondering and would love to hear your opinion.

I am never hungry in the morning. I also have a fasting blood glucose of around 100 and I think the 2 are connected but maybe my thinking is flawed. If my b.g. is a bit high as it is, would that not keep hunger at bay?

I always have coffee with hwc and coconut oil to start my day but on the rare occasions that I need to fast, I am still not hungry for at least 2 hours after rising.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
my metabolism is not "normal," but I have no real correlation between hunger and blood sugar level. I can be hungry with high blood sugar. I suppose if you have normal insulin metabolism this might be less so, but I still don't think it's as strong a correlation as you would imagine.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
I pretty much IF everyday and don't eat till sometime past 2pm sometimes as late as 6pm. I do a BP coffee with 2T butter and 2T MCT oil every morning though. I'm never hungry anymore, at least not in the "normal" sense. I may get an inkling that I might be hungry, but that generally passed quickly if I don't think about it.
Aiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I am usually only hungry after eating a meal. Usually around 30min. Which I think is really weird. It must have something to do with insulin and high blood sugar. In the morning I am not hungry which I think is due to being in ketosis from overnight fasting. But this has only been the case since being LC. I read somewhere that people who do not have normal metabolisms, have an over active pancreas which releases too much insulin overnight and causes a crash in BG. Which is the reason people wake up hungry. This is because the liver releases its glycogen stores overnight. Maybe on a LC diet, your liver doesn't have enough glycogen to release.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
If you're hungry right after eating a LC meal, of say bacon and eggs, I'd attribute that more to mental hunger than anything else.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
In my case it is definitely not mental, because when I shift the ratio of the macronutrients it fixes the problem. It usually has to do with too much protein or too many carbs. Although lately I have been much better with the protein. In the beginning my meals had to be mostly fat or I would get a reaction. Now as long as they are fairly LC I am usually ok.

I suspect with myself that if I am not type 2 diabetic, then I am pre diabetic. I am following a diet right now that will tell me that within a couple of months. The phase I am on right now also qualifies for NK which is the reason I am on here. Sigh, I wish it was just as simple as being all mental.

Its funny because people assuming eating/exercise disorders are mentally based..Ie. bulimia, binge eating etc. And its just a matter of overcoming them, I think once people start realizing that there is a strong physiological component that takes precedent over the cognitive will be on our way to successfully treating more of them.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Kathy, I am not hungry in the morning either. When I can get my ketones up over 2.0 and fbg lower than 99, I wake up hungry. I try to make it a higher fat day starting with early breakfast hoping to give my body the idea it should be using fat for fuel...MY FAT. My fbg was normally 115-130 before I started NK.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/215/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I have this same problem but not sure what to do about it. Jimmy Moore is taking a supplement that I am trying right now. I am hoping that this will bring my numbers down. I am not hungry but I need to eat to take my medicine. I usually just put it off until lunchtime even though I really need the meds early.

Also I also get hungry after eating. It bugs me but I just try to ignore it.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

I took the same supplement as JM (berberine a.k.a. Glycosolve) and it did improve my f.b.g. initially but after about 3 months, it had gone back up to almost where it was when I started. I would love to hear what your experiences are with it. I would say that I liked it ....seemed to have an overall good effect on digestion but it cost too much to justify continuing since it wasn`t really doing much for my f.b.g.......
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/215/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I have only been doing it for a couple of days. Clackley, how many times per day did you take it? I am only doing one before breakfast. Not sure if I should do more? What do you think?
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

I started with 1 per day (in the morning) for 2 wks. and then went to 2 per day (one morning and one afternoon) for about 2 months and then weaned off with 1 per day. The recommended dose is 3 per day but I couldn't bring myself to use that much because of the cost.

I was looking for weight loss help and maybe achieved a couple lb. loss but did not break my stall weight ... just relost some. It did however, lower my f.b.g. a bit.