Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Another ketosis question - morning hunger (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/800760-another-ketosis-question-morning-hunger.html)

clackley 03-31-2013 08:32 AM

Another ketosis question - morning hunger

I have a question that I have been pondering and would love to hear your opinion.

I am never hungry in the morning. I also have a fasting blood glucose of around 100 and I think the 2 are connected but maybe my thinking is flawed. If my b.g. is a bit high as it is, would that not keep hunger at bay?

I always have coffee with hwc and coconut oil to start my day but on the rare occasions that I need to fast, I am still not hungry for at least 2 hours after rising.

ravenrose 03-31-2013 09:23 AM

my metabolism is not "normal," but I have no real correlation between hunger and blood sugar level. I can be hungry with high blood sugar. I suppose if you have normal insulin metabolism this might be less so, but I still don't think it's as strong a correlation as you would imagine.

Aiya 03-31-2013 11:38 AM

I pretty much IF everyday and don't eat till sometime past 2pm sometimes as late as 6pm. I do a BP coffee with 2T butter and 2T MCT oil every morning though. I'm never hungry anymore, at least not in the "normal" sense. I may get an inkling that I might be hungry, but that generally passed quickly if I don't think about it.

Punkin 03-31-2013 11:54 AM

I am usually only hungry after eating a meal. Usually around 30min. Which I think is really weird. It must have something to do with insulin and high blood sugar. In the morning I am not hungry which I think is due to being in ketosis from overnight fasting. But this has only been the case since being LC. I read somewhere that people who do not have normal metabolisms, have an over active pancreas which releases too much insulin overnight and causes a crash in BG. Which is the reason people wake up hungry. This is because the liver releases its glycogen stores overnight. Maybe on a LC diet, your liver doesn't have enough glycogen to release.

mizzcase 03-31-2013 02:47 PM

If you're hungry right after eating a LC meal, of say bacon and eggs, I'd attribute that more to mental hunger than anything else.

Punkin 04-01-2013 05:37 AM

In my case it is definitely not mental, because when I shift the ratio of the macronutrients it fixes the problem. It usually has to do with too much protein or too many carbs. Although lately I have been much better with the protein. In the beginning my meals had to be mostly fat or I would get a reaction. Now as long as they are fairly LC I am usually ok.

I suspect with myself that if I am not type 2 diabetic, then I am pre diabetic. I am following a diet right now that will tell me that within a couple of months. The phase I am on right now also qualifies for NK which is the reason I am on here. Sigh, I wish it was just as simple as being all mental.

Its funny because people assuming eating/exercise disorders are mentally based..Ie. bulimia, binge eating etc. And its just a matter of overcoming them, I think once people start realizing that there is a strong physiological component that takes precedent over the cognitive will be on our way to successfully treating more of them.

drjlocarb 04-01-2013 06:23 AM

Kathy, I am not hungry in the morning either. When I can get my ketones up over 2.0 and fbg lower than 99, I wake up hungry. I try to make it a higher fat day starting with early breakfast hoping to give my body the idea it should be using fat for fuel...MY FAT. My fbg was normally 115-130 before I started NK.

cfine 04-02-2013 06:54 AM

I have this same problem but not sure what to do about it. Jimmy Moore is taking a supplement that I am trying right now. I am hoping that this will bring my numbers down. I am not hungry but I need to eat to take my medicine. I usually just put it off until lunchtime even though I really need the meds early.

Also I also get hungry after eating. It bugs me but I just try to ignore it.

clackley 04-02-2013 06:59 AM

I took the same supplement as JM (berberine a.k.a. Glycosolve) and it did improve my f.b.g. initially but after about 3 months, it had gone back up to almost where it was when I started. I would love to hear what your experiences are with it. I would say that I liked it ....seemed to have an overall good effect on digestion but it cost too much to justify continuing since it wasn`t really doing much for my f.b.g.......

cfine 04-03-2013 07:13 AM

I have only been doing it for a couple of days. Clackley, how many times per day did you take it? I am only doing one before breakfast. Not sure if I should do more? What do you think?

clackley 04-03-2013 08:05 AM

I started with 1 per day (in the morning) for 2 wks. and then went to 2 per day (one morning and one afternoon) for about 2 months and then weaned off with 1 per day. The recommended dose is 3 per day but I couldn't bring myself to use that much because of the cost.

I was looking for weight loss help and maybe achieved a couple lb. loss but did not break my stall weight ... just relost some. It did however, lower my f.b.g. a bit.