Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newjack
3rd day, trying to find the perfect diet for Keto

So my diet so far has been

Breakfast,

2 or 3 whole eggs
2 slices of Muenster Cheese
1-2 slices of Turkey

Lunch

Lettuce wrapped sandwich w/
3 slices of Turkey
3 slices of ham
2 slices of muenster cheese
mustard
1/4 cup almonds

Snack
Some atkins bar that has been laying around x3
1/4 cup pecans

Dinner

Slices of cheese
Salami
Turkey
and
Ham
I didn't have a big dinner because I was already full from lunch. Normally I eat at dinner, fish or pork sirloin. And a lot of it.

Today though I recorded everything and I had about 1400 calories and 102 grams of fat 82 grams of protein and 28grams of carbs. I have small traces of ketone. I am on my 3rd day, I feel like if I keep going this way I wont reach ketosis.

So, any tips? I am a 280lb male.
newjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I see a LOT of sodium rich foods there, so I would be cautious of all the cheese and the cold cuts... they're all very high in salt, and sodium tends to make people retain water sometimes! Also, cheese in large enough quantities makes people stall too so be aware of that.

I'd cut out the Atkins products entirely honestly. They were a hindrance to me and actually kicked me out of ketosis. YMMV, but real goods will always be better for you than Frankenfoods... and 3 of them is a lot for a day! I wouldn't even recommend one of them after my own experience with them and reading everyone else's

That being said, if you are showing light traces of ketones on the test strips... you ARE in ketosis! The levels don't really matter all that much, as long as the strips change color It's like people said before... it's like being pregnant. You either are or you aren't basically

That's just my thoughts though for now... you may need to up your calories a bit with some extra protein and fat for your weight, because I eat between 70-90g of protein daily and I'm 159.5 pounds. If you don't eat enough protein for your body weight, you run the risk of burning some lean muscle mass instead of just fat... and you don't want that!

Hope that helps a little There are others far more knowledgeable than I who can chime in with some more assistance!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Alright cool! I got to go shopping! I need bacon, I don't have a lot of high fat products in my house that don't have carbs.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjack View Post
Alright cool! I got to go shopping! I need bacon, I don't have a lot of high fat products in my house that don't have carbs.
Bacon is high in sodium as well, so I'd definitely watch that if you're still including the cheeses and the lunch meats. I'm not sure how much sodium you're getting in a day, but tracking your food if you don't already would be a big help in figuring out what works best for you. If you seem like you're retaining water, you can always dial something back that way

The best high fat items imo that I have in my pantry are coconut oil, butter, and heavy whipping cream. Between those three I always have a way to fatten up any dish!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I agree.. If you are wanting to lose I think the nuts will hold you back and the bars may as well. As far as your meats.. Lunch meat has a lot of nitrates so those could keep you from losing as well... If you had it for just one meal that would be fine but if you saying you eat lunch meat all meals then that could be problem..
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I'd give it a little bit longer than 3 days..some people take up to 2 weeks to get their feet firmly planted into ketosis.

I am very active, and it takes me at least 3 days before I start feeling like I'm transitioning into ketosis. Give it time.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
My understanding, we are supposed to have more salt in our diet. I try to add more salt to my food and drink bouillon each day. Am I wrong?
May

Last edited by May60; 03-28-2013 at 07:32 AM..
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
No, most people need about 5g of sodium daily with an LC way of eating. I eat between 4g and 6g most days.

Health conditions, meds and your individuality will affect what is ideal for you. But generally, more is better for low carb.

1400 calories is way to low for you. I eat about 2300 calories and I'm losing weight. I'm 47, 6', and 197. Eat more. Eat fat.

Your sample menu looks like a whole lot of protein and not much fat. And it looks like more than ~80g of protein. Do you have a scale? It is much more accurate to weigh your food than use food log 'one slice' type denominations.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

And I agree you are eating too much processed food. If you have to eat lunch meat try to get the stuff that has been processed the least. I understand the predicament you might be in with food so choose the best of available options.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
How tall are you Newjack?
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't agree that salt is an issue unless you are genetically identified as 'salt sensitive' which is pretty unusual. For most people, it is difficult if not impossible to raise blood pressure with 'too much' salt. A interesting read if you are interested in the subject is a N.Y.T. article written by Gary Taubes by the title "We Only Think We Know the Truth About Salt".

I think you can get into ketosis with your menu plan but it does seem to be a bit low on animal fat. You could add simple things like butter, homemade mayo, and a number of other things. And it takes time as has been noted already.

Quote:
My understanding, we are supposed to have more salt in our diet. I try to add more salt to my food and drink bouillon each day. Am I wrong?
May
You are not wrong and it is particularly important during the initial phase as there is a diuretic effect that can flush out sodium and other electrolytes. The recommendation for 2 cups of broth per day is as a minimum as is 2 tsp. of sodium (equivalent) over the course of a day as an ongoing requirement.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I don't agree that salt is an issue unless you are genetically identified as 'salt sensitive' which is pretty unusual. For most people, it is difficult if not impossible to raise blood pressure with 'too much' salt.
I don't think anyone was concerned about his blood pressure, but rather water retention. Many people suffer from water retention from an excess of sodium, not just those with high blood pressure. Considering almost everything he ate that day was loaded with salt and nitrates, if he's having difficulty that's definitely something to look at imo.

If you're eating the right amount of carbs and enough fat, it's usually either protein or sodium... or both
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry but I don't understand what 'water retention' has to do with getting into ketosis. It also seems unlikely that fluid retention would be an issue due to the diuretic nature of switching to ketosis.

Last edited by clackley; 03-28-2013 at 12:16 PM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
In some people - not everyone - adding sodium reduces water retention. Taubes discusses the details in Why We Get Fat. In brief, your body can end up trying to hold onto sodium, and keeping a lot of water along with it. Adding sodium "persuades" your body that there isn't a shortage. It's why so many low-carb diets recommend adding bouillon to keep your salt intake up.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
That much protein would be a problem for me. It stalls me or even makes me gain.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sorry but I don't understand what 'water retention' has to do with getting into ketosis. It also seems unlikely that fluid retention would be an issue due to the diuretic nature of switching to ketosis.
Ahhh right, for some reason I thought I remembered his original concern being slow/no weight loss while in ketosis. Probably because he's already in it if he's showing light traces of ketones so I was confused as to what the problem was.

Don't doubt fluid retention just because you're in ketosis though. I get terrible water retention problems when I go much above 2000mg of sodium a day, and I've been consistently in ketosis for weeks now. It does happen to some of us, but you're right... if his question was about REACHING ketosis, that'd be irrelevant. My memory kind of failed on me a little
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

I am 5'9, my cold cuts are only boars head, which I don't think have any preservatives at all in them.

Today I had

Coffee with heavy cream, no sugar, no splenda.

lettuce wrapped sandwich w/ turkey and cheese with turkey sausage

a half a cup of mixed nuts (pecans and almonds)

and a lettuce wrapped double cheese burger (american cheese) bacon, and mushrooms.

I started to get a metallic taste in my mouth, is that sign of ketosis?

Last edited by newjack; 03-28-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Boar's Head is good stuff

Have you tried the peppered turkey breast??? Boar's Head has one but the pepper isn't all through the meat.

Your menu looks low cal and low fat. Too much so in my opinion.