Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Getting started with NK

I've had slow but steady weight loss with 20 grams of net carbs per day for the past four months. After reading some of Dr. Eenfeldt's articles, though, I've been wondering if I might be eating too much protein to reach optimal ketosis levels.

I'm waiting for a copy of The Art And Science of Low Carbohydrate Living to arrive. Amazon had a half-off blood ketone reader, so I'll be able to track my actual ketone levels.

I'm currently reading through the threads in this forum looking for advice on getting started, but if anyone has any wisdom to offer, I'd be happy to hear it!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Powerade Zero and bouillon are awesome for helping to keep your sodium and electrolyte levels up!

Thats my #1 advice.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Well, since you are already LC there isn't much of a transition. Establish your protein grams goal and count total carbs.

It is a good idea to supplement with a multi-vitamin, magnesium and potassium if your health and meds allow for it.

Welcome aboard
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I think it depends on how much bodyfat you have to lose. Some people seem to be ok with high protein as long as it is low carb. Me I have to make sure I am eating mostly fat to get the scale to move. I read an article the other day that said you only need about 20g of protein a day. I found that a bit hard to believe. Right now I am getting about 60g, but I am upping that as soon as I hit my goal weight.

I should mention though that I am going to try to refill my glycogen stores using protein instead of carbs, because it is safer than using carbs. That is the reason why I am upping my protein, and it will only be on certain days that I do that. Other days my protein will remain much lower probably around 50g. The 50g also includes the trace protein found in nuts and LC veggies.

Last edited by Punkin; 03-28-2013 at 04:03 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
50g is way too low in many cases, and for most people they'd be sacrificing LBM at the point.

As with most things written on the internet, take what you read with a grain of salt.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
DANDR recommends roughly 70-150 grams of protein per day for a woman my height. I hadn't been tracking protein grams so far (I'd been using the Duke University no sugar-no starch program, which doesn't limit protein), and I figured I'd start with the DANDR guidelines and see if they had any effect.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Although I am a 'seasoned low carber'. Had about 5 yrs. under my belt before I started n.k., I found that there was a big learning curve in figuring out exactly how much protein was in my food and how to eat well enough to not be hungry. It will depend on how sophisticated you are in your knowledge of macro nutrients.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I agree with clackey. It is a bit of trial and error. To track your LBM, you need to get DEXA scans done once in awhile. Some people need more fat than protein. Some studies show hypertrophy even for diets very high in fat.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote