Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post

Two and a half years later he's now healthy, yet our GP still maintains he should be eating the diabetes assoc diet plan (potatoes? Are you kidding me?!)
No kidding...it is appalling how little most physicians know about nutrition and disease. My mom has been lucky to have a great doctor who specializes in diabetes, and he's thrilled with her results from low-carbing. She's cut her insulin in half, dropped 60 lbs. and seen her A1c go from 8.5 to 5.9. You'd think the ADA would learn....
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
No kidding...it is appalling how little most physicians know about nutrition and disease. My mom has been lucky to have a great doctor who specializes in diabetes, and he's thrilled with her results from low-carbing. She's cut her insulin in half, dropped 60 lbs. and seen her A1c go from 8.5 to 5.9. You'd think the ADA would learn....
They do know, but admitting LC works better would mean admitting they were wrong for all these years

I think part of the problem is that type 1 and type 2 are completely different conditions but they try to treat them the same way - big mistake
Perfectdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #33
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
PerfectDeb, avoid that "friend" like the plague. With friends like that, you don't need enemies.

I was just watching a BBC Science program on fasting and longevity. The presenter has taken up a modified IF diet, and has seen his health improve a great deal, along with a deep reduction of his risk for a number of cancers. What was interesting to me is that so much of what they were recommending resulted in ketosis, with its accompanying health improvements. I suspected that the same benefits could be gained through NK, so I did some research online afterwards.

The top 5 search returns were scientific studies which have shown a definite relationship between ketogenic diets and lower IGF-1, which in turn produces lower rates of cancer, heart disease, and the development of alzheimer/dementia. I suspect those of you who have read a lot about NK know all of this, but I found it very encouraging. Not only will NK improve my quality of life in the short-term, but it may extend my life as well.

So I will guard my ketosis fiercely. ;D
This is where my research has led me as well. I guess I feel like I might have deluded myself somehow because if this is a known fact, why the helll is it not being recommended? I have a couple of people in my life who are currently fighting cancer and they post on F.B. about the carby food they eat. It makes me want to scream!!! But I stay quiet......
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
This is where my research has led me as well. I guess I feel like I might have deluded myself somehow because if this is a known fact, why the helll is it not being recommended? I have a couple of people in my life who are currently fighting cancer and they post on F.B. about the carby food they eat. It makes me want to scream!!! But I stay quiet......
They're scared, they do what the doctors tell them to do - you're just a crackpot with a lunatic theory, doctors are professionals (said completely tongue in cheek)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #35
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
They're scared, they do what the doctors tell them to do - you're just a crackpot with a lunatic theory, doctors are professionals (said completely tongue in cheek)
I have resisted saying anything about dietary choices. What the heck is the matter with doctors....don't they read?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I have resisted saying anything about dietary choices. What the heck is the matter with doctors....don't they read?
Mine does, he'll listen but he says his hands are tied, he has to follow what the health department recommends
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
It is all big pharmacology. I'm surprised so many people don't realize that .... If they don't keep people sick where is the money then? Plus people are not willifg to do what it takes to be in a state of wellness. Laziness, convenience food, addictions...the list goes on. It is very sad to know and to tell, but people put so much faith in doctors..it is scary. Let me take 50 pills a day instead of giving up my (you fill in the blank). Just my opinion, and I'm sure I share the same theories as others.
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #38
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
It is all big pharmacology. I'm surprised so many people don't realize that .... If they don't keep people sick where is the money then? Plus people are not willifg to do what it takes to be in a state of wellness. Laziness, convenience food, addictions...the list goes on. It is very sad to know and to tell, but people put so much faith in doctors..it is scary. Let me take 50 pills a day instead of giving up my (you fill in the blank). Just my opinion, and I'm sure I share the same theories as others.
On some level I agree with you but I disagree with the notion that it is a plot to keep people sick.

I did not suddenly get 'unlazy, an aversion to convenience food or unaddicted' but rather I got the right information and found the energy and perseverance out of desperation. I think people are totally confused and mistrusting and are looking to those that are suppose to know (i.e. doctors). And the millions of 'health care bytes' we are pummeled with daily are furthering the problem.

Last edited by clackley; 04-05-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Here in australia drug companies are not allowed to advertise, I actually found it very weird and confronting when I was in the US. because of that there's a much lower usage of lifestyle type drugs, by that I mean cholesterol ad weight loss drugs, however that doesn't mean the drug companies still don't have a lot of influence on government and health care policies

Humans will almost always take what appears to be the easy way out
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
OMG! I hardly ever watch TV and I am sick to death of those obnoxious pharma commercials. All of them not just the knock boots ones. And almost all of them end with the disclaimer to let your doc know immediately if you drop dead.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
OMG! I hardly ever watch TV and I am sick to death of those obnoxious pharma commercials. All of them not just the knock boots ones. And almost all of them end with the disclaimer to let your doc know immediately if you drop dead.
They try to get around it here by having ads that just say, "have you checked your cholesterol lately? Ask your doctor what the best treatment is for you" but with no logos or brand names

Drugs are subsidised by the government here, that's why they won't allow advertising