Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   bacon question about nutritional info (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/799995-bacon-question-about-nutritional-info.html)

Myles 03-21-2013 04:43 AM

bacon question about nutritional info

Hi Pals.

Bacon is a staple for me, there are all kinds, two particular kinds i like, one's ingredients are:

Quote:

​Just the Good Stuff:
Pork, water, sea salt, cane sugar, cultured celery extract, spice, smoke
*No preservatives added beyond those naturally occurring preservatives and nitrites in the ingredients. Sea Salt and Cultured Celery Extract Contain Naturally Occurring Nitrites.
Now.. The nutritional info for this particular bacon say calories for 2 slices raw:
230 calories, 22g fat (8 sat), 1g carb (0 sugar), 7g protein

Other bacon i like is very similar info, but maybe 180 cals instead of 230, and its carbs say 0

anyway my question isnt about carbs tho.. Its about calories and Fat... If i understand correctly this nutritional info is about the bacon raw... and typically when its cooked a lot of the fat is rendered out... so how do i properly assess the nutritional info of bacon without ALL of its fat? I may save some of the fat for later use.. but i dont remove the bacon from the pan and drink its fat in a cup or something, but if im using it for a fat fast, i want to still be more accurate for the calories and fat.

anyone know?

clackley 03-21-2013 05:53 AM

Myles, I use the usda nutritional info web site. Although the bacon they use may be different in terms of ingredients, it is more important that you compare apples to apples. In other words, it should be cooked bacon and not raw. At least, that is how I look at it.

NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page

ravenrose 03-21-2013 07:42 AM

calorie counting sites usually have several different entries for cooked bacon. the values are different for pan fried vs baked, etc. If you eat a good deal of it, it's worth hunting around for the exact thing you eat including prep method.

google [bacon microwaved calories] for example to get the values for cooking it that way. look at a few sites...

I find googling "calories" along with the food brings the nutrition results I want. using "nutrition" or something like that tends to bring up discussions rather than the actual tables of nutrients, so even if the calories are not your main focus, I suggest using that query.

MerryKate 03-22-2013 11:34 PM

That also brings up a question I've had: when figuring calories/nutrients on ground beef, do you put weight before cooking, or after? My tracking program doesn't indicate raw or cooked. :/

lisamt 04-02-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16327801)
Myles, I use the usda nutritional info web site. Although the bacon they use may be different in terms of ingredients, it is more important that you compare apples to apples. In other words, it should be cooked bacon and not raw. At least, that is how I look at it.

NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page

This was very helpful, they even have an entry for bacon grease. When I make bacon and scrambled eggs, I cook the eggs right in the grease. A tablespoon has 116 calories and 12.8 g fat.