Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Maggie
Stats: 294/286/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 8, 2013
Waiting for the "whoosh" of weight

Day 10. For 4 days now, I've been struggling in the weight department. I'm gaining and losing the same 1.5 pounds over and over. I'm still at a 8 pound weight loss for the first week of doing this, but it's going between 6.5 and 8 pounds gone. Where's that weight "whoosh" I've often read of? Have I already had it?

Is this normal this early in the game? I did slip a few days ago and eat a banana. Big no-no, I know. No lecture needed. I'm still trying to get out of a funk that started the day after eating it. For days before I was energetic and in a good mood.

I'm not actually weighing or measuring the food I'm eating, but I'm giving it a reasonable guess when I log it. Thank you for looking and giving any advice.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

I also just did a quick analysis for the past week, and I'm running 72/22/6. I can definitely improve on that.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I don't think there is any rhyme or reason for whooshes Maggie. A little lag after the initial water weight loss is common.

Since you are not logging I'd just keep doing what you have been doing and watch out for carb creep, over eating and under eating.

Great job on the 8 pounds!

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I have been logging. I don't measure, but I do take educated guesses on the amounts I eat. 72/22/6 is my weekly average. I really should up my fat intake.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
I have been logging. I don't measure, but I do take educated guesses on the amounts I eat. 72/22/6 is my weekly average. I really should up my fat intake.
That is fine Maggie. The thing about not measuring/weighing is that small mistakes are impossible to avoid and cumulative. So the data over time is less reliable.

As OCD as I am about logging, weighing and measuring I don't think there is any particular need to do it to the nth degree unless you think you have to which is generally when casual tweaks don't produce results. So tweak away. If your calories are a bit low then more fat is a great idea
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Maggie, given what you have said about the initial 8lbs. loss and then the up and down and in addition a banana, I think you are doing well. The 8lbs. is the 'water weight' (not all water but probably mostly) and then your body adjusts and it is very common to not have a scale loss for a while.

The amount of weight loss needed also has some play in this.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
I am in the same boat with you, Maggie!!

I have been on LCHF since January 14th of this year. I lost 8 lbs. Now I keep losing and gaining the same lb over and over again!! I am getting extremely discouraged!!
My total calories are between 1600- 1800 my percentages are 9 carbs, 15 protein and the rest fat 60- 80.
Surely a whoosh is heading our way!!
May
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Maggie, given what you have said about the initial 8lbs. loss and then the up and down and in addition a banana, I think you are doing well. The 8lbs. is the 'water weight' (not all water but probably mostly) and then your body adjusts and it is very common to not have a scale loss for a while.

The amount of weight loss needed also has some play in this.
I need to lose a significant amount of weight. I started at 294 and would like to be 150ish.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Are you measuring your blood ketone levels?
How about posting more details on "what" you are eating.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I'm not measuring ketones in any way.
I'm typically eating:

Coffee with ff cream
eggs
butter
cheese
lunch meat
spinach or romaine in lieu of bread
roasted chicken with skin
veggies such as broccoli or green beans
cheese stick
almonds
avocados
added olive oil
olives
bacon
ff mayo
salmon
prime rib (once.....but oh so yummy!)
salads with extra veggies
dark meat chicken
cheese

What I'm not eating:
fruit
yogurt
milk
bread
flours
sugar
grains
starchy veggies

I have had 3 slip ups, but not like full on binges. I didn't feel great after the slips, and am not bound to repeat them. I think I mostly need to lay off some of the dairy (cheese), up the fat a bit, and get back into this plan fully.

I do have a log, but can't post the link for it here.

I don't eat every one of these things daily, but this is typically what I eat now.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
I need to lose a significant amount of weight. I started at 294 and would like to be 150ish.
Your list of foods looks fine, though you may want to watch portion size on the almonds. I have to measure out 1 oz servings so I don't eat a whole bag. I hope ff cream and mayo means full fat, not the fat free kind that has added sugar.

I'm a little concerned that you are hoping for a whoosh only 11 days into NK. Even with very low carb it's going to take time to lose a large amount of weight. I understand the frustration of wanting to get the weight off *right now*. I'm a slow loser and have barely lost 10 lbs in just over 2 months. I keep plugging away because the scale is moving downward even if it's at a snail's pace.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

ff does mean full fat. I apologize.

I should be more patient, but it's difficult.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
This is a process where you have to find out what works the best for you.

I'm finding lately, for example, that cutting out all snacking is doing wonders for my blood sugar. Instead, I eat a good-sized portion of food around 11am and again around 7pm (about 800 cal. each meal).

Coffee or green tea with cream will cause me to have a blood sugar crash (resulting in crazed hunger), but coffee or green tea with coconut oil doesn't seem to have any effect on my blood sugar.

Brisk walking seems to be ideal for losing weight, esp. in ketosis.

While this diet doesn't make you count calories, it is still good to keep a rational check on them. In the Art and Science of Low-carb, the authors/doctors give examples of a good meal plan:

B: Black coffee + 2 egg omelet w/ 1 oz. bacon, mushroom, tomato, and cheese

L: iced tea + Cobb salad w/ 1 tbs olive oil

S: 2 oz nuts or cheese

D: 6 oz. chicken w/ sauteed kale, bacon, garlic, and olive oil + berries & cream

This menu ends up being between 16-1800 calories. Most of their sample menus are.

Again, I'm not advertising calorie counting at all. The feeling of satiation plays a huge role in long term weight loss. I'm just saying that we have to be careful not to overeat.

Some of us literally don't know when we are overeating, so we may want to try to make a good plan that really helps us to avoid overeating. You will probably need to look at foods that seem to make you have "hot-hunger" a few hours later..... for many this includes processed meats, overly processed cheeses, heavy whipping cream, etc.

One other thing: I think it is SO important to also worry about getting those micronutrients in. Most of us on here only talk about macronutrients, but if we don't have the proper micronutrients, we will probably overeat until we have them! So, I suggest anyone on this diet have this at every meal:

vegetable, fat, protein

For most of us, it is also a good idea to have a serving of berries every day.

Good luck!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Unna, sorry Maggie, I do not mean to HJ, your thread!!

I love what you posted!! Especially, vegetable, protein, fat!! I am a great veggie eater, but I think maybe I am enjoying too much of the cream cheese!? Will try to watch my portions too...I was up again this morning!! However, I was starving all day yesterday...I had way too much allowed food! Will try better today!
Thanks again, May
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Day 10. For 4 days now, I've been struggling in the weight department. I'm gaining and losing the same 1.5 pounds over and over. I'm still at a 8 pound weight loss for the first week of doing this, but it's going between 6.5 and 8 pounds gone. Where's that weight "whoosh" I've often read of? Have I already had it?
If losing 6.5-8 pounds in one week isn't a "whoosh," then I'd love to know how much you normally lose in a week!

I have weighed over 300 pounds. I definitely understand how frustrating it is. It's especially hard at a high starting weight because, while losing 5-10 pounds for a thinner person might mean dropping a pant size, I actually lost more than FIFTY pounds before I needed to worry about any new clothes! It's hard not seeing noticeable results of our hard work for so long. This is a long process. Losing patience often means not staying the course, which just lands us right back where we started (and then the more we yo-yo, the more difficult it is to lose...vicious, vicious cycle).
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I "re-evaluated" my own NK plan after reading the book (esp. after seeing the doctors' suggested meal plans).

I admitted to myself that I do have a tendency to overeat. Then I realized that the handfuls of nuts or the dollops of marscapone cheese weren't doing me any favors. I also had to get real with my coffee and heavy whipping cream...... while I absolutely LOVE HWC in my coffee, for some odd reason it makes me crash and have crazy hunger an hour after drinking it. Now I use coconut oil or milk and don't experiences the blood sugar crashes.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laniereed
Stats: 129/127/118
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: 12/2012
Too much protein causes cravings and weight gain.
laniereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
Quote:
Originally Posted by laniereed View Post
Too much protein causes cravings and weight gain.
Respectfully I have to disagree with this. I tried a n=1 with just doing 90% protein for 12 days and I was never hungry, and I lost 8lbs of fat. And I was eating about 260g of protein daily.

Also, I would say you have to be patient with this whole thing. After the initial loss of water weight, I was bouncing up and down and then since my last weigh in, which was at the doctor on Feb 11, to today, I lost 18lbs. I think it just happens like that sometimes.
Aiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya View Post
Respectfully I have to disagree with this. I tried a n=1 with just doing 90% protein for 12 days and I was never hungry, and I lost 8lbs of fat. And I was eating about 260g of protein daily.

Also, I would say you have to be patient with this whole thing. After the initial loss of water weight, I was bouncing up and down and then since my last weigh in, which was at the doctor on Feb 11, to today, I lost 18lbs. I think it just happens like that sometimes.
I did a protein sparing modified fast a few years ago, which was basically very low carb, high protein, and low fat. I was only eating about 100 g of protein though. It was kind of miserable but I did lose weight.

I don't think I would care to repeat the experiment but I wonder if it would have been more satiating if I'd increased the protein.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Yeah it would have been. I was doing RFL which is the same as a psmf and I was supposed to do 2*lbm which was like 300+g, I couldn't do that, lol. So I went with 1.5 and that was 260. Seriously, I was never hungry, ever and I'd pretty much do it all in one meal w/ a shake PrWO. I didn't really mind it, but by day 7 I was feeling like a zombie and by the end, I couldn't look at a chicken boob again. In fact, as it is, I still think chicken is grosse.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya View Post

Just curious to know what a 90% protein diet looks like??
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

It was about as low carb and low fat as you can get. This was a typical meal on an RFL/PSMF diet.

This is a pretty common meal plan, but others I know like tuna or lean beef or seafood. I just found that skinless, boneless chicken breasts are the most versatile and cheap to eat.

Btw I IF through this also, so started with lunch around 2pm or so.

L: 4oz. Chicken Breast Tender, 16 oz., Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - 98% Fat Free 113 g, 16 oz, 1 cup spinach cooked.

S: ON double rich chocolate protein powder, 3 rounded scoops about 90g
Pork rinds 14g.

That's about what I ate, every.single.day. for 12 days. That's the horror and ease of a psmf diet. Very easy because all you have to worry about is getting your correct protein grams in daily. The calories will fall where they will. So remember that this is a VLC diet, this worked out to only 1300 calories a day. I don't think I'd do it again, as it was hell near the end and usually by day 3 most people are going crazy on it. You are not supposed to do any kind of cardio for the 12 days and very minimal full body weights. But at the same time, I lost about 6lbs of body fat. It's only ment to be a crash diet for deadline and definitely not for long term.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I lost about 3lbs in the first week and then I was stalled at the same weight for awhile, I do track but soon realized that my calories were too low. I was still above 1000cal a day so initially I wasn't worried, but apparently there is a fine line between down regulation and steady fat loss and its only about 150cal/day difference. Which isn't much. I brought my calories up from 1350 to 1500 and I have been losing steadily ever since. But it is a very slow steady fat loss. Maybe around .2lbs/week. I can't go lower on the calories though or I stall. I thought about doing a fat fast to see if I could make the fat loss speed up a bit, but I like the food I am eating on a day to day basis, so I'm not sure I want to do that.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: awoogala
Quote:
I'm not measuring ketones in any way.
I'm typically eating:

lunch meat[/B]
spinach or romaine in lieu of bread
roasted chicken with skin

almonds

bacon

salads with extra veggies

a few ideas ( not like I am an expert). nuts just stop my weight loss dead in the water.. any amounts of nuts (outside of macademias), and I stop losing. could be worth it, to see. They are full of pufa's and chigher in carbs then we sometimes notice.

You are eating a lot of chicken, which is higher in omega 6's than say, a good, grass-fed beef. Possibly tweaking your protein source may help.

dairy- some do fine on it, sometimes it can stop/stall your losses.

bacon- read those labels- so many bacons have sugar in them, it is crazy!

I have found in a stall, that the whole bulletproof coffee/intermittent fasting protocol can really help- plus the coconut oil really ups my percentage of fat to protein, and the coconut oil gives me a lot of energy.
awoogala is offline   Reply With Quote