Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Philly
Stats: 139/136.2/125
WOE: NK
Start Date: January 2013
Trouble, in and out of keto zone

Can people reply with their experiences of fluctuating in and out of ketosis, and their personal thoughts on why it happened to them?

I thought at first it was my hormones/TOM, but it's happening mid cycle too, so wondering if it's food related, etc... I haven't changed my macros or calories, been consistent, but my levels go up and down, with more downs than ideal levels.

Thanks everyone to share!
Philly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
If it's happening in relation to hormones, the mid-cycle shifts could be due to ovulation...it brings its own fun hormone changes. From what I can tell, I don't go out of ketosis, but I do fluctuate from higher levels to lower ones, and it is largely hormone-related.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly View Post
Can people reply with their experiences of fluctuating in and out of ketosis, and their personal thoughts on why it happened to them?

I thought at first it was my hormones/TOM, but it's happening mid cycle too, so wondering if it's food related, etc... I haven't changed my macros or calories, been consistent, but my levels go up and down, with more downs than ideal levels.

Thanks everyone to share!
I find that too much protein (which doesnt have to be much more) and/or too much non starchy veg knocks me out of ketosis on a regular basis
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I'm pretty low protein already around 15% and carb around 5% which is why it's a little frustrating that I'm not more in the ideal area?!?!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
How many calories a day are you eating?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
I find that too much protein (which doesnt have to be much more) and/or too much non starchy veg knocks me out of ketosis on a regular basis
Ditto.

I find don't find looking only at ratios helpful when tracking blood ketones. Actual grams are going to give you a better idea of how to tweek ptn and carbs. Are you testing blood or urine?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Ditto.

I find don't find looking only at ratios helpful when tracking blood ketones. Actual grams are going to give you a better idea of how to tweek ptn and carbs. Are you testing blood or urine?
i test ketones with both urine and blood strips
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
i test ketones with both urine and blood strips
I know you test, I was wondering about the OP.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I don't know if I can help, since I don't test my ketones. But I figure that so long as I'm losing consistently, and am not hungry, I'm probably in ketosis. My weekly average carbs are pretty consistently 25-30, and my calories are around 1400. That includes some days where carbs are around 40 or 50, but I don't lose that 'sweet spot" of no-hunger, so I don't think I've completely lost ketosis.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I stay consistently around 17 g carbs (total not net) some days creep to 25 total from avocado or something like that, my protein around 52g daily, occasional days + few grams.
I test blood ketones every morning fasting, I'm also not losing any pounds either!

Oh and I stay around 1400 calories
Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
I stay consistently around 17 g carbs (total not net) some days creep to 25 total from avocado or something like that, my protein around 52g daily, occasional days + few grams.
I test blood ketones every morning fasting, I'm also not losing any pounds either!

I don't know how your stats, but calories could be just a bit low. Carbs and protein seem good but with lowered calories sometimes means not enough fat to cause keto-adaptation. This could keep you wavering in and out of ketosis, especially if the carbs and protein are not spread out evenly through the day. For example eating 10+ carbs at one meal is a bit risky, depending on how sensitive to carbs you are.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
It would make sense, from an evolutionary perspective, for women to not be able to healthily be in a high state of ketosis all the time (just as we need more body fat than men to be healthy).

In general, women encounter SO many more hormonal issues for weight loss than men... protective mechanisms to ensure reproductive success later.

I just read one interesting study: while traits such as facial symmetry and clear skin are universally seen as attractive (signs of health), there has never been a "body weight" on women that is considered universally attractive.

The attactiveness of female body weight is entirely cultural dependent. And right now, unfortunately, the "in" look is very thin and tone, even though it literally is not possible for most of us.

I will be really glad when the curvier, softer body is back "in"!

Anyway Philly, you don't weigh much at all, so it will probably take you at least a year to very very slowly lose the last few pounds (this is also my experience..... I suppose my "ideal weight" is 145 and at the rate I'm losing, maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll see it in 2013.... I dunno, my body might not ever feel I should weight that much)
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

What are your B/K readings?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Philly, how do you know you are going in and out of ketosis? If it is ketostix you are using, than those will only tell you are in ketosis but not that you are out. If you are using the blood ketone strips and finding that you are surely going in and out, I would suggest that you have not become fully adapted. I have read that it can take some individuals up to 6 wks. to become fully keto-adapted. That means 6 wks. of keeping to your plan with no variations.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote