Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UOMyst13
Stats: 165/155/125
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: January 2013
Low Carb Sweeteners?

Hi All,
I looked around for this, cause I know its somewhere. But could not find it. What sweeteners do you use that are low carb?
I was using truvia, and as I was looking at carb counts, I realized it was really high for the granulated kind! Thats why I haven't been losing weight! Talk about major carb creep.
So what do you use and how many carbs does it have?
Can you find it in stores, or do you order online?

Thanks for your help! I love these boards!
UOMyst13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Truvia is a blend of stevia (zero carbs/calories) and erythritol (a sugar alcohol with 4 carbs per serving BUT supposedly a 0 on the glycemic index since the carbs aren't absorbed). If you use Truvia, be sure you use the packets or the small hard plastic container. The larger bag of Truvia they came out with "for baking" actually has sugar in it.

You could try plain stevia. It's usually sold with the supplements instead of with the other sugars/sweeteners. It comes in both powder form and liquid. Just use VERY little of it - it is significantly sweeter than sugar and causes a bitter aftertaste if you use too much. Seriously, where you might measure sugar in tablespoons, you'll measure liquid stevia in mere drops.

I've been successful while using erythritol, but not everyone is a fan. I use it measure for measure just like sugar, but, in recipes that call for a lot of it, it can cause a "cooling" mouth effect (like a mild mint or menthol type thing).

The new kid on the sweetener block is a monk fruit sweetener. However, I have yet to find any in stores that don't also contain sugar in some form, so I haven't tried it.

If you're not looking for a natural product, you could always try sucralose (Splenda). Again, skip the "baking blend," as that contains sugar.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UOMyst13
Stats: 165/155/125
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Truvia is a blend of stevia (zero carbs/calories) and erythritol (a sugar alcohol with 4 carbs per serving BUT supposedly a 0 on the glycemic index since the carbs aren't absorbed). If you use Truvia, be sure you use the packets or the small hard plastic container. The larger bag of Truvia they came out with "for baking" actually has sugar in it.

You could try plain stevia. It's usually sold with the supplements instead of with the other sugars/sweeteners. It comes in both powder form and liquid. Just use VERY little of it - it is significantly sweeter than sugar and causes a bitter aftertaste if you use too much. Seriously, where you might measure sugar in tablespoons, you'll measure liquid stevia in mere drops.

I've been successful while using erythritol, but not everyone is a fan. I use it measure for measure just like sugar, but, in recipes that call for a lot of it, it can cause a "cooling" mouth effect (like a mild mint or menthol type thing).

The new kid on the sweetener block is a monk fruit sweetener. However, I have yet to find any in stores that don't also contain sugar in some form, so I haven't tried it.

If you're not looking for a natural product, you could always try sucralose (Splenda). Again, skip the "baking blend," as that contains sugar.
Jilly-Thats exactly what I did. I used the baking truvia and had no idea it had carbs. Before, I had just bought the hard plastic container, but this time I bought the "baking" truvia because it was on sale. Good to know not all Truvia has carbs, I've really like getting using it.

Any idea on cheapness? What is a lower cost overall do you think?
UOMyst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I use liquid forms of Splenda and stevia. They are concentrated and because the quantities used are so small, they are virtually carb free.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LarlaB
Stats: 5' 11" ~ 168/141/148
WOE: LCHF & Training for a Marathon
Start Date: August 13, 2012
I just switched to NuStevia....it doesn't have the bitter after-taste that virtually every other kind of stevia I've tried seems to have.
LarlaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UOMyst13 View Post
Hi All,
IWhat sweeteners do you use that are low carb? Can you find it in stores, or do you order online?
I use liquid splenda, mostly, but I make my own. There's a company online that sells powdered splenda and it is highly concentrated, because there are no fillers, as there are with powdered splenda - and therefore no carbs. I dissolve about 1 tsp. in 1/4 cup of water and keep it in an eyedropper bottle, and each batch lasts for several months.

For baking, you generally need to find a way to replace the bulk of sugar, so I do a combination of stevia, erythritol and splenda to achieve a rounded flavor. I also add polydextrose to recipes that need the stickiness of sugar to work properly (it makes cookies much chewier, for example). I buy stevia and erythritol locally, and buy the polydextrose from netrition.

I'm always searching for the perfect sweetener...something with the taste and bulk of brown sugar. If anyone finds it, please share!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions - Low Carb Friends

Check out the recipe help section of Low Carb Friends. Many helpful people and ideas there.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
where do you guys get your truvia or stevia? My grocery stores seem to only have powdered splenda
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
where do you guys get your truvia or stevia? My grocery stores seem to only have powdered splenda
All my grocery stores carry Truvia now. Stevia is usually with supplements, not in the baking aisle with the other sugars.

You could always order online. That's where I get my erythritol. Whole Foods carries erythritol, but I find it way cheaper online.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpoWa
I like the Sugartwin AS that I get in Canada. Sugar Twin brown sugar is made from : maltodextrin, sodium cyclamate 32%, caramel colour, artificial flavours. They also sell Splenda in little tablets. Good excuse for a roadtrip.

Found Monk Fruit liquid at WM. Water, monk frit extract. malic acid, sodiun benzoate and potasium sorbate.
SpoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoWa View Post
Found Monk Fruit liquid at WM. Water, monk frit extract. malic acid, sodiun benzoate and potasium sorbate.
Very interesting - have you tried it? Do you like it? I keep checking the sweeteners when I'm at different stores, but no luck here yet finding an acceptable version of a monk fruit sweetener. I should probably just order some online to try!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Very interesting - have you tried it? Do you like it? I keep checking the sweeteners when I'm at different stores, but no luck here yet finding an acceptable version of a monk fruit sweetener. I should probably just order some online to try!
I've been using this. I was wondering if the malic acid in it would be a problem, but so far so good. The flavor is different - it's more fruity than sugar, and I like it in tea, but not so much in coffee.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: 148.5/144/135 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD (start 1/31/14)
Start Date: JUDDD: start 1/31/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
I use:

-granulated erythritol (says it has 4 carbs per teaspoon, but I've read they aren't absorbed by the body)

-liquid stevia.

I'm quite concerned that they cause an insulin response and could potentially kick us out of ketosis. I've read that if anything tastes sweet, the body reacts as if it were some kind of sugar. Not sure if that's legit.

Anyways, I wonder it's not the amount of carbs we should fear per say (as long as we're under our daily allotment) but the effect artificial sweeteners have on our insulin response. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Over the weekend, I used "Just Like Sugar" in a few recipes and liked it. It's a chicory root sweetener.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I use granulated erythritol and liquid stevia. Neither one causes me to be kicked out of ketosis.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: 148.5/144/135 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD (start 1/31/14)
Start Date: JUDDD: start 1/31/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I use granulated erythritol and liquid stevia. Neither one causes me to be kicked out of ketosis.
Good to know. Thanks!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: awoogala
I use stevia/erythritol mix.
I try liquid splenda, from time to time, but it seems to kick off some cravings.
If I drink diet soda (bad, but I love it sometimes), I only use splenda sweetened.
awoogala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Perplexity
Stats: 232/165/136 5'9"
WOE: high fat/low carb/restricted calorie
Start Date: December 2008
Stevia doesn't seem to cause me cravings but splenda can and aspartame sure does.
Perplexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I almost exclusively use liquid sucralose. As a Canadian, I find it on line under the title 'sweeteners' and then 'other'. Some of these low carb groceries have stores open to the public such as in my city, so I can either order on line or pay a visit.

BTW, the brand name is EZ-Sweetz. It seems expensive but will last quite a long time as it is concentrated.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nosugartalking
Stats: restarted Jan 2013 at 283/ current(227)/ 168 goal
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / HF,LC,MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I use liquid splenda, mostly, but I make my own. There's a company online that sells powdered splenda and it is highly concentrated, because there are no fillers, as there are with powdered splenda - and therefore no carbs. I dissolve about 1 tsp. in 1/4 cup of water and keep it in an eyedropper bottle, and each batch lasts
Can you please send me the link to where you buy the concentrated (no fillers)powder splenda to make yor own liquid splenda. I usuall buy sweetzfree brand liquid but would love to make my own. Thanks
nosugartalking is offline   Reply With Quote