Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Low Carb Sweeteners? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/799476-low-carb-sweeteners.html)

UOMyst13 03-15-2013 10:06 AM

Low Carb Sweeteners?

Hi All,
I looked around for this, cause I know its somewhere. But could not find it. What sweeteners do you use that are low carb?
I was using truvia, and as I was looking at carb counts, I realized it was really high for the granulated kind! Thats why I haven't been losing weight! Talk about major carb creep.
So what do you use and how many carbs does it have?
Can you find it in stores, or do you order online?

Thanks for your help! I love these boards!

jillybean720 03-15-2013 10:20 AM

Truvia is a blend of stevia (zero carbs/calories) and erythritol (a sugar alcohol with 4 carbs per serving BUT supposedly a 0 on the glycemic index since the carbs aren't absorbed). If you use Truvia, be sure you use the packets or the small hard plastic container. The larger bag of Truvia they came out with "for baking" actually has sugar in it.

You could try plain stevia. It's usually sold with the supplements instead of with the other sugars/sweeteners. It comes in both powder form and liquid. Just use VERY little of it - it is significantly sweeter than sugar and causes a bitter aftertaste if you use too much. Seriously, where you might measure sugar in tablespoons, you'll measure liquid stevia in mere drops.

I've been successful while using erythritol, but not everyone is a fan. I use it measure for measure just like sugar, but, in recipes that call for a lot of it, it can cause a "cooling" mouth effect (like a mild mint or menthol type thing).

The new kid on the sweetener block is a monk fruit sweetener. However, I have yet to find any in stores that don't also contain sugar in some form, so I haven't tried it.

If you're not looking for a natural product, you could always try sucralose (Splenda). Again, skip the "baking blend," as that contains sugar.

UOMyst13 03-15-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 16317641)
Truvia is a blend of stevia (zero carbs/calories) and erythritol (a sugar alcohol with 4 carbs per serving BUT supposedly a 0 on the glycemic index since the carbs aren't absorbed). If you use Truvia, be sure you use the packets or the small hard plastic container. The larger bag of Truvia they came out with "for baking" actually has sugar in it.

You could try plain stevia. It's usually sold with the supplements instead of with the other sugars/sweeteners. It comes in both powder form and liquid. Just use VERY little of it - it is significantly sweeter than sugar and causes a bitter aftertaste if you use too much. Seriously, where you might measure sugar in tablespoons, you'll measure liquid stevia in mere drops.

I've been successful while using erythritol, but not everyone is a fan. I use it measure for measure just like sugar, but, in recipes that call for a lot of it, it can cause a "cooling" mouth effect (like a mild mint or menthol type thing).

The new kid on the sweetener block is a monk fruit sweetener. However, I have yet to find any in stores that don't also contain sugar in some form, so I haven't tried it.

If you're not looking for a natural product, you could always try sucralose (Splenda). Again, skip the "baking blend," as that contains sugar.

Jilly-Thats exactly what I did. I used the baking truvia and had no idea it had carbs. Before, I had just bought the hard plastic container, but this time I bought the "baking" truvia because it was on sale. Good to know not all Truvia has carbs, I've really like getting using it.

Any idea on cheapness? What is a lower cost overall do you think?

lisamt 03-15-2013 01:53 PM

I use liquid forms of Splenda and stevia. They are concentrated and because the quantities used are so small, they are virtually carb free. :)

LarlaB 03-15-2013 02:26 PM

I just switched to NuStevia....it doesn't have the bitter after-taste that virtually every other kind of stevia I've tried seems to have. :)

MerryKate 03-15-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UOMyst13 (Post 16317623)
Hi All,
IWhat sweeteners do you use that are low carb? Can you find it in stores, or do you order online?

I use liquid splenda, mostly, but I make my own. There's a company online that sells powdered splenda and it is highly concentrated, because there are no fillers, as there are with powdered splenda - and therefore no carbs. :) I dissolve about 1 tsp. in 1/4 cup of water and keep it in an eyedropper bottle, and each batch lasts for several months.

For baking, you generally need to find a way to replace the bulk of sugar, so I do a combination of stevia, erythritol and splenda to achieve a rounded flavor. I also add polydextrose to recipes that need the stickiness of sugar to work properly (it makes cookies much chewier, for example). I buy stevia and erythritol locally, and buy the polydextrose from netrition.

I'm always searching for the perfect sweetener...something with the taste and bulk of brown sugar. If anyone finds it, please share!

drjlocarb 03-16-2013 04:52 AM

Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions - Low Carb Friends

Check out the recipe help section of Low Carb Friends. Many helpful people and ideas there.

Myles 03-18-2013 04:34 AM

where do you guys get your truvia or stevia? My grocery stores seem to only have powdered splenda

jillybean720 03-18-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles (Post 16321805)
where do you guys get your truvia or stevia? My grocery stores seem to only have powdered splenda

All my grocery stores carry Truvia now. Stevia is usually with supplements, not in the baking aisle with the other sugars.

You could always order online. That's where I get my erythritol. Whole Foods carries erythritol, but I find it way cheaper online.

SpoWa 03-20-2013 11:43 AM

I like the Sugartwin AS that I get in Canada. Sugar Twin brown sugar is made from : maltodextrin, sodium cyclamate 32%, caramel colour, artificial flavours. They also sell Splenda in little tablets. Good excuse for a roadtrip.

Found Monk Fruit liquid at WM. Water, monk frit extract. malic acid, sodiun benzoate and potasium sorbate.

jillybean720 03-20-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoWa (Post 16326739)
Found Monk Fruit liquid at WM. Water, monk frit extract. malic acid, sodiun benzoate and potasium sorbate.

Very interesting - have you tried it? Do you like it? I keep checking the sweeteners when I'm at different stores, but no luck here yet finding an acceptable version of a monk fruit sweetener. I should probably just order some online to try!

MerryKate 03-20-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 16326763)
Very interesting - have you tried it? Do you like it? I keep checking the sweeteners when I'm at different stores, but no luck here yet finding an acceptable version of a monk fruit sweetener. I should probably just order some online to try!

I've been using this. I was wondering if the malic acid in it would be a problem, but so far so good. The flavor is different - it's more fruity than sugar, and I like it in tea, but not so much in coffee.

Green 03-22-2013 09:54 AM

I use:

-granulated erythritol (says it has 4 carbs per teaspoon, but I've read they aren't absorbed by the body)

-liquid stevia.

I'm quite concerned that they cause an insulin response and could potentially kick us out of ketosis. I've read that if anything tastes sweet, the body reacts as if it were some kind of sugar. Not sure if that's legit.

Anyways, I wonder it's not the amount of carbs we should fear per say (as long as we're under our daily allotment) but the effect artificial sweeteners have on our insulin response. Anyone have thoughts on this?

jillybean720 03-27-2013 03:13 PM

Over the weekend, I used "Just Like Sugar" in a few recipes and liked it. It's a chicory root sweetener.

cfine 03-30-2013 11:51 AM

I use granulated erythritol and liquid stevia. Neither one causes me to be kicked out of ketosis.

Green 03-30-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16344909)
I use granulated erythritol and liquid stevia. Neither one causes me to be kicked out of ketosis.

Good to know. Thanks!

awoogala 04-08-2013 06:49 AM

I use stevia/erythritol mix.
I try liquid splenda, from time to time, but it seems to kick off some cravings.
If I drink diet soda (bad, but I love it sometimes), I only use splenda sweetened.

Perplexity 04-12-2013 12:34 AM

Stevia doesn't seem to cause me cravings but splenda can and aspartame sure does.

clackley 04-13-2013 06:37 AM

I almost exclusively use liquid sucralose. As a Canadian, I find it on line under the title 'sweeteners' and then 'other'. Some of these low carb groceries have stores open to the public such as in my city, so I can either order on line or pay a visit.

BTW, the brand name is EZ-Sweetz. It seems expensive but will last quite a long time as it is concentrated.

nosugartalking 04-14-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16318754)
I use liquid splenda, mostly, but I make my own. There's a company online that sells powdered splenda and it is highly concentrated, because there are no fillers, as there are with powdered splenda - and therefore no carbs. :) I dissolve about 1 tsp. in 1/4 cup of water and keep it in an eyedropper bottle, and each batch lasts

Can you please send me the link to where you buy the concentrated (no fillers)powder splenda to make yor own liquid splenda. I usuall buy sweetzfree brand liquid but would love to make my own. Thanks