Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Gallery: Maggie
Stats: 294/286/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 8, 2013
Benefits I'm already noticing

Feel free to add your own!

I've been a lifetime oily skin sufferer. I mean, you can squeegee the oil off my face oily. I also have terrible acne, which is awesome at the age of 38 .

Since starting this Thursday afternoon/officially Friday, I've noticed a huge reduction in oil. And acne. Mind blown, since I'm eating fat and oil all day.

The persistent backache I've had for a month now? Gone.

Late afternoon fatigue? Greatly reduced, although not gone.

Energy!!

My sugar, flour, and carb cravings are almost gone. This one is probably the biggest benefit. I honestly thought I'd struggle with this for weeks and consequently fail. My kids had pizza and cookies and I didn't. I had a slight urge, but nothing I couldn't control.

This is day 4. Looking forward to the future.

I only wish I could see into my future. Why hasn't anybody made a time machine??!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,047
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes! Awesome Maggie and it only gets better!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
unna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 293
Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Maggie, just curious: Would you mind writing a post about when your weight struggle began??? And also about any dieting attempts that didn't work.

I'm sort of finding that those of us who have great energy and thrive on this diet have similar backgrounds..... just wondering what your background is!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member
 
Istillhatepeas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 51
Gallery: Istillhatepeas
Stats: 5'9 295/267/1st goal 250
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart 2/18/13
I started on 2/18 and I haven't had one major breakout yet! Isn't that just awesome? At 34 I've still been waiting for the acne to disappear. I swear carbs are the devil:-)

Congrats on your success. I was at cupcake shop w/ friends the other day and I wasn't even tempted to cheat. The cupcakes were gorgeous, but I didn't have that gotta have it feeling.

I'm with clackley...it only gets better.
Istillhatepeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
Gallery: Joyone
YES! My cravings are completely gone! That has never happened. No desire and don't even think about having any of the junk. A diet without struggle? That is so crazy to me. And just yesterday I realized my skin was FAR less oily, and scalp is far less oily as well...I thought that was so crazy considering I have never eaten so much fat in my life lol.

I was having huge heart palpitations and anxiety doing this diet, but just found out I needed lots of potassium and salt...few minutes after taking them I felt so at peace and at ease. More so than before I started the diet.

JOY! :-)
Joyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,047
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyone View Post
YES! My cravings are completely gone! That has never happened. No desire and don't even think about having any of the junk. A diet without struggle? That is so crazy to me. And just yesterday I realized my skin was FAR less oily, and scalp is far less oily as well...I thought that was so crazy considering I have never eaten so much fat in my life lol.

I was having huge heart palpitations and anxiety doing this diet, but just found out I needed lots of potassium and salt...few minutes after taking them I felt so at peace and at ease. More so than before I started the diet.

JOY! :-)
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
synger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,409
Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I am absolutely amazed at how few cravings I have. My family bought fudge; I didn't want any. My husband bought 20 boxes of Girl Scout cookies (yes, TWENTY!!), and the only time I've had any is the one night I had more than two drinks. The rest of the time I'm just not at all interested.

It's such a relief.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 1
Gallery: I_so_fluffy
Stats: 266/255/150
WOE: Basic Low carb
Start Date: March 6, 2013
You guys are getting me so excited! I just started a little over a week ago, but I was also prescribed phentermine, so of course I don't have any cravings. I have been so worried about what will happen when I go off of it. If this is what I have to look forward to, then I am thrilled.
I_so_fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
Gallery: Joyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_so_fluffy View Post
You guys are getting me so excited! I just started a little over a week ago, but I was also prescribed phentermine, so of course I don't have any cravings. I have been so worried about what will happen when I go off of it. If this is what I have to look forward to, then I am thrilled.
Yes - it really is amazing!!

Of course I have my Bulletproof Cocoa (like coffee but with 1tsp of unsweetned cocoa powder and stevia drops, instead of coffee) 3x a day lol...but losing weight like crazy on it...how fun is that?! :-)
Joyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
I haven't used my inhaler in maybe 2 months, very happy about that.
I never think about food anymore. Never get cravings or have to deal with the guilt of over eating. I have energy and want to exercise. The scale isn't moving but I am still getting smaller and losing inches. I am happy and my mood is improved. I am more calm and relaxed. I have more regular monthly cycles and my period is only 3 to 4 days. I also am usually at my lowest weight the week of my period. My heart rate has gone down and BP is a little lower. My skin looks better too.
I have noticed more improvements but those are just a few.
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Gallery: Maggie
Stats: 294/286/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 8, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
Maggie, just curious: Would you mind writing a post about when your weight struggle began??? And also about any dieting attempts that didn't work.

I'm sort of finding that those of us who have great energy and thrive on this diet have similar backgrounds..... just wondering what your background is!
I can do that. Where would I post it?
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
unna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 293
Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
This thread, or you could start a new one.

It is just something I find interesting because, for many of us, eating this way seems to be the only way we can eat and "feel human" and maintain our weights like other "normal people". Many of us have been significantly overweight in childhood or teenage years, which could imply that there is an extra strong carb intolerance that develops in obese children and teenagers, even if they have managed to lose weight and fit into the "normal weight" category.

Anyway, maybe you didn't gain weight until your adult years.... who knows. I still find it interesting to hear how/why people came to find this diet and the problems they encountered with other diets.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
Rebecca1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indian Trail, North Carolina
Posts: 2,403
Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
Things I like/noticed:

I have ZERO appetite!
I have no cravings!
I'm not sluggish!
I feel better in my skin!
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,047
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
This thread, or you could start a new one.

It is just something I find interesting because, for many of us, eating this way seems to be the only way we can eat and "feel human" and maintain our weights like other "normal people". Many of us have been significantly overweight in childhood or teenage years, which could imply that there is an extra strong carb intolerance that develops in obese children and teenagers, even if they have managed to lose weight and fit into the "normal weight" category.

Anyway, maybe you didn't gain weight until your adult years.... who knows. I still find it interesting to hear how/why people came to find this diet and the problems they encountered with other diets.
The thing with metabolic disease is that it is not expressed only through weight like most people think. One of the earliest harbingers of metabolic disease is tooth decay. So maybe one doesn't get fat as a kid but if they had a lot of tooth decay. This would be another clear sign. I was a skinny kid (got mocked for it) but I did have a LOT of cavities.

Also I think that there are a lot of other things going on other than weight gain that are part of the disease and people put way to much importance on body fat as the main symptom. Maybe in an odd way, getting fat was the 'silver lining' in that it was a heads up of sorts and going ketogenic addresses more of the disease than just losing weight. JMHO.
__________________
Cathy
Original start - Feb. 2000 180/125

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
unna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 293
Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Clackley - interesting point about the tooth decay! I also definitely agree that ketogenic diets can have positive affects on a myriad of health conditions.

However, I would like to say that when one is obese as a child or teenage, we increase our fat cells in a substantial way for life and we can never get rid of them.

I am technically of the first generation of children that suffered from the obesity epidemic. There still aren't enough studies distinguishing the changes our bodies underwent from being obese in the formative years. Due to the increased ability to store fat, it seems like we may be in need of a ketogenic diet just to maintain any sort of normal weight and health.

Ultimately, I just think being "obese" is SO vague. We need to start making many more distinctions so that we can start to solve some of the unique problems.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
Personal story from yesterday..

My cravings are also few to none, which is great, but for some reason last night i was craving sugar something fierce. I wanted to go buy some real cheesecake, and even took out some cream cheese to come to room temp and was going to make some with splenda but heres what i did instead partly because sometimes fake sugar can make cravings worse:

One of my favorite things growing up was toast, with mayo, some cheddar cheese, and a lot of avocado, open faced or in a sandwich, it was like..my favorite. (sometimes with tomato and/or onion)

Well luckily i had an avocado, so i just chopped it up and threw it in a bowl with a bit of cheddar cheese shredded, and some mayo, and a bit of champagne vinegar for tang.. mixed it up and ate it. Not only was it amazing and SUPER filling cuz of all the fat, but the craving was gone 100%
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 663
Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
I was breaking out in hives (not sure of the cause) pretty often, maybe a few times a week, before NK, but still on low-carb. Since I've started this WOE, I have had zero hives breakouts.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
I was breaking out in hives (not sure of the cause) pretty often, maybe a few times a week, before NK, but still on low-carb. Since I've started this WOE, I have had zero hives breakouts.
I am glad you posted that. I used to break out in a hive in a certain spot on my face all the time. I totally forgot about it. I haven't done that in months.
Thanks
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
lisamt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 534
Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I've been doing NK for 3 months and while I haven't lost much weight, I feel much better than when I was eating mostly carbs.
  • Heartburn and gas are a rare thing now. Sorry for TMI, but I'm not having to take immodium or pepto bismol a few times a week anymore.
  • Decreased appetite, and when I do get hungry I don't feel like I have to Eat All The Things.
  • The generalized aches & pains I used to feel upon waking are pretty much gone.
  • Sleep has improved, especially now that I'm getting most of my calories in before 7:00 pm.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 663
Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I am glad you posted that. I used to break out in a hive in a certain spot on my face all the time. I totally forgot about it. I haven't done that in months.
Thanks
That's awesome! Hives are so annoying. Yay for us.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 7
Gallery: laniereed
Stats: 129/127/118
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: 12/2012
No migraines for more than 2 months!
laniereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member
 
Aiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 28
Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
Hi, I thought I would chime in with what's happened with me.

I've been NK for 4 months now, lost a ton of weight, but I never get hungry. Seriously, sometimes I'll actually forget to eat and have to remind myself. I have no cravings for anything actually and my energy is through the roof. And my sleep...wow, it's about 1000% better than it's ever been. Yeah, I don't get headaches or sick when the rest of my family is down with a cold, I'm usually the only one not sick.
Aiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
helpingrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: midwest
Posts: 428
Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
Only one week .....seeing such an increase in my energy level. Also, sleeping better at night and ready to go when I wake up! Such a surprise....
helpingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 914
Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I've tried pretty much every kind of diet so here's some of the pros and cons of NK, based on my experience:

Pros (what I like about NK)

1. Better diet-because I have to make everything from scratch, everything tastes so good and I feel great after eating it.
2. Carb cupboard in our house is safer from unsuspecting raids
3. Taste-I prefer the taste of fat to carbs
4. I don't really feel like I am on a diet, although I still struggle with hunger panges they just aren't as in my face as on high carb.
5. Over-eating usually isn't as "out of control" as it was on higher carb.
6. I can eat less and feel satisfied more, which makes it easier to lose weight.

Cons (what I don't like):

1. Poor recovery time after exercise. I used to exercise a lot, sometimes twice a day and I can't do that anymore. I have to take rest days whether I like it or not. Sometimes a hard workout puts me on the couch for the rest of the day. And I can't lift the heavy weights I used to be able to. Just don't have the energy for that.
2. Difficult to eat out and explain my WOE to others. LC where I live is just weird to other people.
3. Can't get the food I need at local stores. This is frustrating for me, but I am coping with that.
4. When I hit my goal weight, I am going to struggle with trying to make LC fit my lifestyle because I am an athlete and the turnaround time for workouts is much slower in NK.
5. The rage. I am a lot more moody on LC. It could have something to do with my blood sugar though, in roughly a week or two I am going to start testing my blood sugar regularly to see what is going on.

My main concern right now is getting my blood sugar and insulin levels under control so that I will be able to maintain my goal weight once I get there, and I don't see there being any other way, other than being in NK. But I have to start testing my BG and also my ketones which I will be doing soon. Once I get a handle of what is really going on I think things will progress more easily.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member
 
helpingrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: midwest
Posts: 428
Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I've tried pretty much every kind of diet so here's some of the pros and cons of NK, based on my experience:

Pros (what I like about NK)

1. Better diet-because I have to make everything from scratch, everything tastes so good and I feel great after eating it.
2. Carb cupboard in our house is safer from unsuspecting raids
3. Taste-I prefer the taste of fat to carbs
4. I don't really feel like I am on a diet, although I still struggle with hunger panges they just aren't as in my face as on high carb.
5. Over-eating usually isn't as "out of control" as it was on higher carb.
6. I can eat less and feel satisfied more, which makes it easier to lose weight.

Cons (what I don't like):

1. Poor recovery time after exercise. I used to exercise a lot, sometimes twice a day and I can't do that anymore. I have to take rest days whether I like it or not. Sometimes a hard workout puts me on the couch for the rest of the day. And I can't lift the heavy weights I used to be able to. Just don't have the energy for that.
2. Difficult to eat out and explain my WOE to others. LC where I live is just weird to other people.
3. Can't get the food I need at local stores. This is frustrating for me, but I am coping with that.
4. When I hit my goal weight, I am going to struggle with trying to make LC fit my lifestyle because I am an athlete and the turnaround time for workouts is much slower in NK.
5. The rage. I am a lot more moody on LC. It could have something to do with my blood sugar though, in roughly a week or two I am going to start testing my blood sugar regularly to see what is going on.

My main concern right now is getting my blood sugar and insulin levels under control so that I will be able to maintain my goal weight once I get there, and I don't see there being any other way, other than being in NK. But I have to start testing my BG and also my ketones which I will be doing soon. Once I get a handle of what is really going on I think things will progress more easily.
helpingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100
Gallery: Perfectdeb
i'm way sharper and more motivated on LC, i find my brain just works better on ketones

i'm way more creative as well
Perfectdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Gallery: awoogala
acne has improved tremendously, though it still flares if I eat a lot of dairy!
migraines are so much better if I stay in ketosis..
One of the main reasons I started ketogenic eating was migraine relief (all the studies on the migraneur brain being similar to epilepsy)
awoogala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!
 
Knittering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,709
Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
LC where I live is just weird to other people.
Where do you live, Punkin? (Just curious!)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 91
Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
WOE: NK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I've tried pretty much every kind of diet so here's some of the pros and cons of NK, based on my experience:

Pros (what I like about NK)

1. Better diet-because I have to make everything from scratch, everything tastes so good and I feel great after eating it.
2. Carb cupboard in our house is safer from unsuspecting raids
3. Taste-I prefer the taste of fat to carbs
4. I don't really feel like I am on a diet, although I still struggle with hunger panges they just aren't as in my face as on high carb.
5. Over-eating usually isn't as "out of control" as it was on higher carb.
6. I can eat less and feel satisfied more, which makes it easier to lose weight.

Cons (what I don't like):

1. Poor recovery time after exercise. I used to exercise a lot, sometimes twice a day and I can't do that anymore. I have to take rest days whether I like it or not. Sometimes a hard workout puts me on the couch for the rest of the day. And I can't lift the heavy weights I used to be able to. Just don't have the energy for that.
2. Difficult to eat out and explain my WOE to others. LC where I live is just weird to other people.
3. Can't get the food I need at local stores. This is frustrating for me, but I am coping with that.
4. When I hit my goal weight, I am going to struggle with trying to make LC fit my lifestyle because I am an athlete and the turnaround time for workouts is much slower in NK.
5. The rage. I am a lot more moody on LC. It could have something to do with my blood sugar though, in roughly a week or two I am going to start testing my blood sugar regularly to see what is going on.

My main concern right now is getting my blood sugar and insulin levels under control so that I will be able to maintain my goal weight once I get there, and I don't see there being any other way, other than being in NK. But I have to start testing my BG and also my ketones which I will be doing soon. Once I get a handle of what is really going on I think things will progress more easily.
How long have you been doing LC/NK? I ask because after reading the Art & Science of Low Carb Performance, I was under the impression that NK would help with my exercise once my body got used to burning fat for fuel...your post makes me wonder if that is true?
MRSKUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.