Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustMe2
Blood Glucose Meter

What is a good blood glucose meter to purchase?

I am not diabetic so it will be a purely out of pocket expense. However, I would like to be able to check my ketone levels more accurately than by using the ketone strips.
JustMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
There are basically two meters available in the US and Canada: the Precision Xtra Ketone meter, and the Novamax ketone meter (there are also several other meters available in Europe, but I'm not familiar with them). Both have free meters available - google 'free Precision ketone meter' and 'free Novamax ketone meter' and you'll find the links.

Both meters come with free glucose testing strips, so if you've never used a blood meter before, use them to practice a few times before you start using the ketone strips. Some people psych themselves out, but the blood draw is pretty painless.

While the Precision Xtra supplies are more pricey, it is also far more reliable. Their strips come with a control strip, so you don't have to waste a ketone strip to be sure the mointor is working right. I've never had a wasted strip because they're more sturdy and don't seem to cause read errors. (IMHO, the Novamax has flimsier strips and will at times give a reading of LO rather than a precise number.)

The strips cost between $2-$5 each, so shop around before you buy. You can buy them on ebay, which is usually cheaper than buying them outright. The strips are not interchangeable, and both companies make glucose strips as well, so be sure of what you're buying.

Hope this helps! The meters are really helpful to be able to figure out what works for your body.

Last edited by MerryKate; 03-10-2013 at 08:46 PM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much MerryKate!

I did some googling last night and realized we can't use just any glucose meter. I will look up the links for the free meters now and see about the strips as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2 View Post
I did some googling last night and realized we can't use just any glucose meter.
Right. A glucose meter tests glucose. What you need is a ketone meter. While I understand they look and work very similarly, they are two very different things.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I ordered the Novamax ketone meter set yesterday. From all I've read the Precision is a little more reliable. However, since I am not diabetic and it's really just for information to assist in my diet, I chose to go with the Novamax b/c the ketone strips are a bit cheaper.

I ordered it from a diabetes supply wholesale website. The meter, a box of glucose strips, a box of ketone strips, and all the other items needed was only $40. I figure I can spend that much on the pee strips in a matter of time and they not be nearly as accurate.

Thanks everyone for the info!! You guys are the best!
Re-Start date: 01/08/2013

I have lost 120lbs on LCHF in the past. Why did I stop and gain it back plus some..
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I like my Novamax just fine.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2 View Post
I ordered the Novamax ketone meter set yesterday.
Make sure you register it on the Novamax site - they'll send you 2 free strips.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My Precision 'Xtra' tests both glucose and ketones. The deal was a free meter with the purchase of 100 glucose strips. The ketone strips were an additional cost at 1.79 per strip. The meter works well and is very easy to operate.

I spent about 175.00 in the end and although it was reassuring to confirm that I was in ketosis and likely have been all along, I am not sure it was worth the expenditure.

Last edited by clackley; 03-24-2013 at 07:24 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My Precision 'Xtra' tests both glucose and ketones. The deal was a free meter with the purchase of 100 glucose strips. The ketone strips were an additional cost at 1.79 per strip. The meter works well and is very easy to operate.

I spent about 175.00 in the end and although it was reassuring to confirm that I was in ketosis and likely have been all along, I am not sure it was worth the expenditure.
That is why I decided not to spend the money for one...the ketone strips may not be as good, but they certainly are cheaper. I believe they do help though. Plus, I believe you can tell if you are in ketosis or not by the way you feel!
My 2cents!
Ellie
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DonJo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sorry for the bump but I'm wondering: is there a range of results on the 'blood sticks' that happens to correspond with a given range on the 'pee sticks'? Or do they measure totally different things and so do not correlate on specifics at all?

Quote:
I believe you can tell if you are in ketosis or not by the way you feel!
True, true.
DonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I believe they are measuring different types of ketones. The ones on the pee stick are suppose to lessen over time as one becomes keto adapted. So one could confirm that they are in ketosis but not keto adapted and not necessarily a negative to ketosis.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote