Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
What is well formulated?

I'm looking for you all to weigh-in on what you consider well-formulated and how you are calculating your macro-nutrient ratios? I believe Phinney and Volek recommend 1.5 - 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight.

The calculator from Jenny Ruhl's site recommends a higher protein intake during the first 3 weeks of a ketogenic diet, then the protein goes down and fat goes up.

I am personally running into issues with the calculations because my daily caloric goal based on my gender, age and goal weight is 1400 cal/day. So if I do 1.5g protein x bodyweight in kg + 100 calories for carbs each day, my remaining fat calories come out to about 65% of my daily intake. Based on what I've ready, 65% of calories from fat is the low-end of what I should be shooting for in terms of fat intake. If I lower my protein intake to 1.2g of protein per kg of bodyweight, then I can get my fat percentage up to 73%.

Any input is welcome. Thanks!
dipasquale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Well formulated means what works for the individual with a low carb, moderate protein and high fat 'frame'.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I don't have my book yet.
That said....
I don't know where the 1 kg comes from.
The A&S has a chart based on height. I did find it on JM's website.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but I was happy to see this because weight and height are so different.
If you are calculating 1 or 1.5 grams, is that per Kg or lb of weight, goal weight, lean body mass, goal lean body mass....?? Hello?
This is what caused me to go back to Bernstein's recommendation of not more than 20 grams of protein per meal.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
My daily calorie intake is around 1500 cal/day and my protein varies from 50g to 65g per day. This is what seems to keep me in ketosis. I don't really know if I will ever be able to increase the protein. My body seems to be able to convert protein to glucose quite well when I eat too much, and this causes hypoglycaemia. Of course I don't get problems until several hours after I have eaten a high protein meal. Where as with high carb I get a reaction right away.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
I don't have my book yet.
That said....
I don't know where the 1 kg comes from.
The A&S has a chart based on height. I did find it on JM's website.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but I was happy to see this because weight and height are so different.
If you are calculating 1 or 1.5 grams, is that per Kg or lb of weight, goal weight, lean body mass, goal lean body mass....?? Hello?
This is what caused me to go back to Bernstein's recommendation of not more than 20 grams of protein per meal.
Grams per kg of lean body mass is from the Performance book. You have to know what is an appropriate amount of body fat to use that formula.

Grams per kg of reference weight is from the Living book and the podcasts that Phinney has done with Jimmy Moore. Reference weight is the appropriate weight for your height. (pounds/2.2) = kg.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote