Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   What is well formulated? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/798944-what-well-formulated.html)

dipasquale 03-07-2013 12:11 PM

What is well formulated?

I'm looking for you all to weigh-in on what you consider well-formulated and how you are calculating your macro-nutrient ratios? I believe Phinney and Volek recommend 1.5 - 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight.

The calculator from Jenny Ruhl's site recommends a higher protein intake during the first 3 weeks of a ketogenic diet, then the protein goes down and fat goes up.

I am personally running into issues with the calculations because my daily caloric goal based on my gender, age and goal weight is 1400 cal/day. So if I do 1.5g protein x bodyweight in kg + 100 calories for carbs each day, my remaining fat calories come out to about 65% of my daily intake. Based on what I've ready, 65% of calories from fat is the low-end of what I should be shooting for in terms of fat intake. If I lower my protein intake to 1.2g of protein per kg of bodyweight, then I can get my fat percentage up to 73%.

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

clackley 03-07-2013 08:51 PM

Well formulated means what works for the individual with a low carb, moderate protein and high fat 'frame'.

Liz1959 03-08-2013 10:19 PM

I don't have my book yet.
That said....
I don't know where the 1 kg comes from.
The A&S has a chart based on height. I did find it on JM's website.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but I was happy to see this because weight and height are so different.
If you are calculating 1 or 1.5 grams, is that per Kg or lb of weight, goal weight, lean body mass, goal lean body mass....?? Hello?
This is what caused me to go back to Bernstein's recommendation of not more than 20 grams of protein per meal.

Punkin 03-10-2013 05:19 AM

My daily calorie intake is around 1500 cal/day and my protein varies from 50g to 65g per day. This is what seems to keep me in ketosis. I don't really know if I will ever be able to increase the protein. My body seems to be able to convert protein to glucose quite well when I eat too much, and this causes hypoglycaemia. Of course I don't get problems until several hours after I have eaten a high protein meal. Where as with high carb I get a reaction right away.

reddarin 03-10-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz1959 (Post 16304996)
I don't have my book yet.
That said....
I don't know where the 1 kg comes from.
The A&S has a chart based on height. I did find it on JM's website.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but I was happy to see this because weight and height are so different.
If you are calculating 1 or 1.5 grams, is that per Kg or lb of weight, goal weight, lean body mass, goal lean body mass....?? Hello?
This is what caused me to go back to Bernstein's recommendation of not more than 20 grams of protein per meal.

Grams per kg of lean body mass is from the Performance book. You have to know what is an appropriate amount of body fat to use that formula.

Grams per kg of reference weight is from the Living book and the podcasts that Phinney has done with Jimmy Moore. Reference weight is the appropriate weight for your height. (pounds/2.2) = kg.