Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susanpmi
Stats: 136/130/125 5'4"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: July 2005
Unsuccessful so far

Looking for advice. I have been following NK plan for about six weeks now. I have been an avid reader of the forum, doing the suggested readings and podcasts, and tweaking my diet accordingly as I have gone along. So far I am happy with the way I feel (no hunger, good energy) but I have gained five pounds in six weeks. According to the ketostix (I know, blood monitoring is better, but prohibitively expensive) I have been in ketosis most of the six weeks. I have a low amount of weight to lose to get to goal - about ten pounds, although that number continues to rise! But I am taking it seriously because my ability to lose weight seems to have changed considerably once I turned 50, and I would like to head this weight gain off at the pass! After my childbearing years, I got below my goal weight to about 120 lbs. using South Beach diet and exercise, and maintained this weight for about 8 years. My current goal is 125, and I am about 135. I am still very active, but as I have aged it seems that the South Beach approach has become less effective for me. I have been scouring this forum looking for a new woe that works for my lifestyle and body. I tried the Dukan diet and could not follow the low fat, high protein approach. I was hungry all the time and could not look protein in the eye and dreamed of veggies all night. Yesterday, I felt like I stuck to the NK plan as best I could.

Here is my breakdown from fitbit: I consumed around 1500 calories:
Daily Calorie Composition: 11% from carbs, 75% from fat and 14% from protein. I consumed around 31 carbs. I leaned kinda hard on the heavy whipping cream yesterday, consuming about six tablespoons, between a big bowl of cream of chicken soup I made, and a diet root beer float. I recall someone mentioning that HWC had to be cut from their NK plan before they began to lose?

I exercised quite a bit yesterday. This morning the scale had jumped up another pound. I have gained three pounds since Saturday. I am finding this trend alarming. I have tried to be patient and turn my body into a fat burning machine over the course of six weeks, but it ain't happening! Advice and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Susanpmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I also remember going up in the beginning a few pounds before I went down. The body has to adjust to learning how to use fat as energy. Sometimes you just have to stay away from the scale and trust in the theory (I refused to weigh myself in the beginning).

You are at a very low weight already. And, as we age, we need a few pounds for cushioning - quite literally.

I don't mean to sound mean - please don't take this the wrong way - but in my opinion you are probably pretty fit and perfect! You may want to consider changing your "ideal you" .... maybe work on toning instead of more weight loss.

But, again, I don't mean to sound rude.

Anyway, another thing I've found is eating more intuitively. This means, for many of us with a broken metabolism, that we eat when our body asks us to eat. It sounds silly, but this also helped the weight come off for me. Our bodies are actually quite smart, especially when given the correct food.

But then again, I still weigh more than you! I'm not sure how tall you are.... anyway, maybe Punkin can chime in with her WL secrets. She seems to be closer to your weight.

Welcome!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

No offense taken at all, Unna, and I appreciate your input!! It is not my weight that is disturbing to me, as much as the trend for weight gain, and the loss of ability to tighten up my food plan and drop a few pounds. I have gained ten pounds over the past two years following the same diet and exercise plan that worked for me for nearly a decade. I get it that I am older, approaching menopause, and I am willing to accept a new version of the "ideal me" but at the current rate of +5 a year, that me would have gained 50 lbs by the time I am sixty!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

That is interesting - but you did say you work out frequently, is there anyway that part of the weight gain is actually gained muscle? Or are all your pants getting tighter?

Like I stated earlier, I sort of had to close my eyes and jump into NK. I've found it is very important to try to listen to your bodies cues for fat and eat when it tells you to (and don't feel guilty about it!). I also think the "salt problem" that everyone discusses is VERY real. So, start swigging the salty pickle juice!

The only other thing I've noticed about myself on NK is (and this doesn't apply to you in particular): there isn't much room for error. I just mean, this diet isn't for everyone, esp. if you are constantly "going off plan" for this reason or that reason. I don't typically have this problem, but NK will make you gain weight if you don't follow it almost 100%.

I guess you sort of have to commit to the fat. I gladly do this for the benefits, but I don't think it fits everyone's personality.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanpmi View Post
Looking for advice. I have been following NK plan for about six weeks now. I have been an avid reader of the forum, doing the suggested readings and podcasts, and tweaking my diet accordingly as I have gone along. So far I am happy with the way I feel (no hunger, good energy) but I have gained five pounds in six weeks. According to the ketostix (I know, blood monitoring is better, but prohibitively expensive) I have been in ketosis most of the six weeks. I have a low amount of weight to lose to get to goal - about ten pounds, although that number continues to rise! But I am taking it seriously because my ability to lose weight seems to have changed considerably once I turned 50, and I would like to head this weight gain off at the pass! After my childbearing years, I got below my goal weight to about 120 lbs. using South Beach diet and exercise, and maintained this weight for about 8 years. My current goal is 125, and I am about 135. I am still very active, but as I have aged it seems that the South Beach approach has become less effective for me. I have been scouring this forum looking for a new woe that works for my lifestyle and body. I tried the Dukan diet and could not follow the low fat, high protein approach. I was hungry all the time and could not look protein in the eye and dreamed of veggies all night. Yesterday, I felt like I stuck to the NK plan as best I could.

Here is my breakdown from fitbit: I consumed around 1500 calories:
Daily Calorie Composition: 11% from carbs, 75% from fat and 14% from protein. I consumed around 31 carbs. I leaned kinda hard on the heavy whipping cream yesterday, consuming about six tablespoons, between a big bowl of cream of chicken soup I made, and a diet root beer float. I recall someone mentioning that HWC had to be cut from their NK plan before they began to lose?

I exercised quite a bit yesterday. This morning the scale had jumped up another pound. I have gained three pounds since Saturday. I am finding this trend alarming. I have tried to be patient and turn my body into a fat burning machine over the course of six weeks, but it ain't happening! Advice and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Susanpi--you and I are pretty similar in age, exercise, and weight and height. I also maintained at 132 without much trouble until menopause, and since then it's been a challenge. I am quite active--skiing, hiking, kayaking, walking or biking to work, skating, etc. And a little taller.

If I want to maintain, I can add more veggies and berries and calories to NK/Paleo, eat about 1400-1700 calories, 70-90 grams of protein, and 30 grams of carbs.

To lose (vanity weight!), I need to stay at about 1200 to 1400 calories, under 20 grams of carbs, under 60 grams of protein, and the rest fat. Plus I need to be careful about dairy--heavy cream and butter are ok, but when I eat cheese (or nuts), I won't lose.

To lose temporary weight gain, I do a meat&egg fast for 3 to 5 days, with added butter/cream to keep my protein at about 60 grams, carbs at about 5 to 10, fat at about 100 grams, and calories at about 1100 to 1200.

If I were eating what you've been eating--31 grams carbs and 1500 calories-- I would also be gaining. And diet sodas make me stall, so you might try cutting them out, dropping your carbs, & dropping calories a bit. Good luck!

Last edited by tiva; 03-05-2013 at 10:21 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks again, Unna. I agree with you about the level of commitment. I like to eat out, but have found I really can't do it on this plan. Unless I have cooked it myself, it seems that some chef has snuck some carbs into it!

tiva, thanks for sharing your story. Very helpful.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

To be quite honest, while I know the logic of calorie restriction, I don't know if it is as successful when applied to NK like it is in other diets.

In the very beginning, when I was behaving in a more "restricted" manner on NK, I remember gaining a few pounds, then simply maintaining.

However, when I started eating upon feeling real hunger, then making conscious effort to eat slower, and stop right when I reached the "satiated" feeling (which is possible on this diet - it doesn't produce binging feelings), then I started to become leaner.

Of course this is just my experience and a bad experiment to relate! , as I don't keep a calorie count anymore. This means, perhaps, on average, I'm eating less than I was with conscious calorie control.

The more I read about hormone regulation and obesity, the more I'm starting to think the brain actually needs the cue of satiety before it regulates its own body fat. I'm not disputing calorie restriction and weight loss - that would be silly. But, because this diet is constructed so differently from other diets, I'm not so sure calorie restriction functions in the same way with it.

I sort of like the blog: itsthesatiety.com

Even though I am 31 and haven't experienced menopause, keep in mind that my metabolism is already turtle slow and I can literally gain 20lbs in a week if I'm eating the wrong foods (I seem to lack proper body fat storage regulation... I should really get my thyroid checked). I attribute this to years of extreme yo-yo dieting and morbid obesity as a child.

Last edited by unna; 03-05-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Unna, thanks for the good information about your experiences. I checked out the blog. There are some interesting stories and studies there.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I'm just like tiva..to many carbs I don't lose. Hwc is ok stay to clean eating as much as you can..coconut oil is great tool..
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote