Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Low Protein Ideas/Help (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/798359-low-protein-ideas-help.html)

ColfaxWife 03-02-2013 11:29 AM

Low Protein Ideas/Help

I'm 5'7" started February 7 at 245 and lost 5 pounds in my first week. And since, I've lost nothing else. I cut out the atkins bars, I cut back on artificial sweeteners. I do drink one coffee in the morning with a few tablespoons of heavy cream and some stevia. Other than that, I (usually) eat 3-4 pieces of bacon, 2 eggs for breakfast. Lunch I generally have a small handful of hormel pepperoni (1 serving), a piece of string cheese and a hard boiled egg or two. Dinner consists of meat (chicken thighs/burgers/porksteaks) with a side salad and homemade low carb mayo based salad dressing. I drink so much water (64+) that I'm rarely hungry to snack, but I'll have the occasional SF jello. I'm concerned that my fat/protein ration is too close, but what do people eat to ^their fat without increasing their protein? I'm looking for suggestions on foods, I'm considering ditching bacon for breakfast sausage as that ounce for ounce has higher fat and lower protein. Any other suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

reddarin 03-02-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColfaxWife (Post 16290954)
I'm 5'7" started February 7 at 245 and lost 5 pounds in my first week. And since, I've lost nothing else. I cut out the atkins bars, I cut back on artificial sweeteners. I do drink one coffee in the morning with a few tablespoons of heavy cream and some stevia. Other than that, I (usually) eat 3-4 pieces of bacon, 2 eggs for breakfast. Lunch I generally have a small handful of hormel pepperoni (1 serving), a piece of string cheese and a hard boiled egg or two. Dinner consists of meat (chicken thighs/burgers/porksteaks) with a side salad and homemade low carb mayo based salad dressing. I drink so much water (64+) that I'm rarely hungry to snack, but I'll have the occasional SF jello. I'm concerned that my fat/protein ration is too close, but what do people eat to ^their fat without increasing their protein? I'm looking for suggestions on foods, I'm considering ditching bacon for breakfast sausage as that ounce for ounce has higher fat and lower protein. Any other suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Your menu looks like it is not enough calories.

Pure fat - butter, bacon grease, coconut oil, olive oil.

These threads might help you out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...e-recipes.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...-low-carb.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...cery-list.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...of-coffee.html

ColfaxWife 03-02-2013 05:44 PM

Thank you much. This forum is so large-and I'm rather new to it all-that I wasn't sure where to post this. I appreciate your help in digging up those threads!!

Punkin 03-03-2013 04:57 AM

A couple things that might help you. Some people don't need to do anything other than just reducing carbs to lose weight and reduce hunger/cravings.

And some people have to reduce both carbs and protein (ie. very high fat diet) to accomplish weight loss and reduce hunger cravings.

It requires self experimentation to figure out which one applies to you. The first is much easier from a realistic point of view, it is basically what atkins is based on. The idea is that when your body goes into ketosis it will just get the fat it needs from your storage fat. However if you are in the second group, your body has more difficulty recognizing that "yes" you can get the extra nutrients you need to avoid hypoglycemia from the fat stored in your fat stores. These people have to basically force their body into using fat as fuel more aggressively by using a lot of dietary fat to induce this type of metabolism. I am one of those people and I hate it. My meals are basically High fat/low protein/low carb. They might look like this: a bowl of a VLC veggie with a ton of fat (fatty sauce/dressing) and then at some meals I add a small amount of protein. ie. 1 oz hard cheese/one egg or 100g of protein (dinner only). Cesar salad without the croutons has become one of my favourite meals when I am out at a restaurant.

I would see how it goes, you'll know if you are eating too much protein and not enough fat if you are stalling significantly and/or experiencing down regulation (getting cold for no reason and feeling lethargic). Or experiencing mild hypoglycemia. You can also start testing your blood ketones.

ColfaxWife 03-03-2013 01:49 PM

Thank you, I did low carb many many years ago (like 8 or 9) and lost significant weight. And now.....I can't seem to drop a thing. I'm going to try and seeing if the gobs and gobs of fat will push me through. So tonight I'm having mayonnaise with a sprinkle of chicken....lol. :) Caesar salad sounds great-especially because it's traditionally made with anchovies...I believe those are high fat, right? Are avocados considered high enough in fat?

Punkin 03-04-2013 04:48 AM

The secret to losing weight seems to be a diet that allows you to under-eat, while avoiding hunger. What that diet looks like depends on the person, because apparently the type of metabolism you have depends on your genetics. Insulin seems to be the hormone that is responsible for storing fat, so the key is to reduce the levels of insulin in your bloodstream to minimize fat storing.

Punkin 03-04-2013 04:49 AM

Avocodos are pretty high in fat, low in fat and protein. I mulch mine in a food processor and make a dressing out of it that I put on shredded bok choy, lettuce or alfalfa sprouts.

Myles 03-05-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColfaxWife (Post 16293047)
Thank you, I did low carb many many years ago (like 8 or 9) and lost significant weight. And now.....I can't seem to drop a thing. I'm going to try and seeing if the gobs and gobs of fat will push me through. So tonight I'm having mayonnaise with a sprinkle of chicken....lol. :) Caesar salad sounds great-especially because it's traditionally made with anchovies...I believe those are high fat, right? Are avocados considered high enough in fat?

Ditto! Avocados are high in fat but watch out cuz they have some carbs

Myles 03-05-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16294036)
The secret to losing weight seems to be a diet that allows you to under-eat, while avoiding hunger. What that diet looks like depends on the person, because apparently the type of metabolism you have depends on your genetics. Insulin seems to be the hormone that is responsible for storing fat, so the key is to reduce the levels of insulin in your bloodstream to minimize fat storing.

I don't think this way of eating is really under eating at all. In quantities, i'd say you eat MORE than a traditional "low fat" diet

unna 03-05-2013 11:57 PM

I don't feel like I under-eat, but I also don't feel like I overeat.

Punkin: I'm definitely going to try the avocado dressing!

laniereed 03-24-2013 05:43 AM

This makes sense about lowering the protein intake.... I've been on a stall since Feb. Been on program since Dec 27th. Protein is my downfall. Ketones are light pink when I overeat them. Then it takes 2 days to get back to dark purple.