Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Blood Ketone Questions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/798204-blood-ketone-questions.html)

TeamRedrac 03-01-2013 08:18 AM

Blood Ketone Questions

Excuse me for my ignorance because I am new at Ketone testing. I just got my Nova Max Plus today. I tesed and it just says LO. When i look that up in the book it states that your blood ketone reading is lower that 0.1 mmol/L, No Action Required. I am not exactly sure what the levels are to be officialy in NK. I have only just started about a week ago, so I knew I would be there yet and was mostly playing. Is there a Blood Ketosis Chart anywhere?

Thanks in Advance for your help!!!

Jennifer
210/112/120
147/140/120 This Time Around

LarlaB 03-01-2013 10:58 AM

I have a Nova Max as well. :) To be in Ketosis means a reading of .5 as a minimum, and up to 3.0 I believe.... Have you calibrated it?

You'll be there soon! I bumped out of ketosis last weekend for 2-3 days, and it took me some time to get back in. My readings started at LO and gradually rose .2, .4, .9, back up to 1.6.

TeamRedrac 03-01-2013 01:36 PM

No I haven't, I see in the book that you need Nova Max B-ketone control solution. I can't seem to find a place to get that from. Do you know of a place that sells it?

LarlaB 03-01-2013 09:50 PM

It came w/ the meter...a very small eye drop looking bottle w/ blue solution.

NKSL55 03-02-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarlaB (Post 16289961)
It came w/ the meter...a very small eye drop looking bottle w/ blue solution.

Do you have a Nova Max Plus? I don't think mine came with control solution.

Is it a real calibration solution? -- seems like you would need several control solutions for that. Or, at least 2. It sounds like a sanity test solution -- as long as your meter reads approximate x mM, you are good.

--
Phillip

LarlaB 03-02-2013 08:19 PM

Yep, I have the Nova Max Plus this is what I have....

ravenrose 03-02-2013 09:19 PM

yeah, LO means no ketosis at this time

NKSL55 03-10-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarlaB (Post 16291938)
Yep, I have the Nova Max Plus this is what I have....

Ah. I am pretty sure that is just a blood sugar control solution (glucose). Does it say on the side?

Hmm, the Nova Max is famous for being inaccurate in this blood sugar measurements. I wonder if you just need to calibrate it to keep it accurate?

--
Phillip

MerryKate 03-10-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKSL55 (Post 16307647)
Ah. I am pretty sure that is just a blood sugar control solution (glucose). Does it say on the side?

Hmm, the Nova Max is famous for being inaccurate in this blood sugar measurements. I wonder if you just need to calibrate it to keep it accurate?

--
Phillip

When I got the Novamax, it came with both a ketone and a glucose control solution. I was rather annoyed about having the waste a strip to calibrate the dumb thing. That's one reason I switched meters....the Precision Xtra strips come with an extra control strip in each box.

NKSL55 03-11-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16308315)
When I got the Novamax, it came with both a ketone and a glucose control solution. I was rather annoyed about having the waste a strip to calibrate the dumb thing. That's one reason I switched meters....the Precision Xtra strips come with an extra control strip in each box.

Wonder why they can't calibrate them in the factory? It isn't like they have a bunch of gears that can get knocked out of alignment during shipping...
The other irritating think the Novamax does is sometimes you put a ketone strip in and it mistakenly shows that it is a glucose strip. If you don't notice, it just errors out after you use it!
--
Phillip

LarlaB 03-11-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16308315)

Agreed- I was pretty irked to have to waste a strip to simply calibrate the thing...something to keep in mind for those starting out.