Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Made my best batch of bacon grease mayo yet. I used a little ACV and lemon juice, 1 whole egg and 1 yolk, a little dry mustard, salt, around 3 tbsp of lite olive oil and about a cup of bacon grease. Didn't measure anything, sorry, I never do.
I wanted to use picle juice instead of acv and lemon juice but someone threw it away. Aperfectly good jar of picle juice, just cause they ate all the pickles. tisk tisk.
I thought that would give it a zing. May have been gross but I will have to try that another day.

If you guys havent tried this it works so good. I use a coffee filter in a wide mouth mason jar, I take a ring and screw it on the top a little. Then you can strain your bacon greas right into the jar. I just leave the coffee fiter in there and strain the bacon grease thru it several times. Don't have to change it every time. I also cook my bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven. So much easier. I don't burn myself as much.
Dang that is a great idea about the coffee filter Cheryl

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #152
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Incidentally, the scale is showing that I'm losing fat even though my weight went up. And my clothes are fitting better.
Regaining the lost LBM from the low protein low calorie fat fast. Excellent
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 200.3 :/ heh I was thinking back to my bounce day on Wednesday wondering what had changed besides getting up at a gawd awful hour. It hit me like a ton of bricks, right about then is when some family drama arrived on the scene. It is funny cause it makes me mad about the drama for sabotaging my steady downward trend. Mad about the drama and mad about being mad about the drama lol
Darn drama!! It causes scale drama as well! You think it was cortisol?
You know it'll go back down. Now meditate on bacon. Feel the grease wash over you. Relax. Yesssss. No stress. Just grease and quiet. And bacon.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Regaining the lost LBM from the low protein low calorie fat fast. Excellent
According to the book, the studies showed minimal LBM loss when calories were predominantly from fat. Have you read the beginning of the Fat Fast book? It's short but has some interesting things.

The recipes were so good I plan on using them still but with some added protein. The Asian Noodles would be killer with a little chicken!

I enjoyed the experiment to see how I would do. I would definitely do one again if my weight stalled.

Now I'm ready to drop it like it's hot! Come on, scale!! I shot my last scale that said ugly things to me. True story!

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Made my best batch of bacon grease mayo yet. I used a little ACV and lemon juice, 1 whole egg and 1 yolk, a little dry mustard, salt, around 3 tbsp of lite olive oil and about a cup of bacon grease. Didn't measure anything, sorry, I never do.
I wanted to use picle juice instead of acv and lemon juice but someone threw it away. Aperfectly good jar of picle juice, just cause they ate all the pickles. tisk tisk.
I thought that would give it a zing. May have been gross but I will have to try that another day.

If you guys havent tried this it works so good. I use a coffee filter in a wide mouth mason jar, I take a ring and screw it on the top a little. Then you can strain your bacon greas right into the jar. I just leave the coffee fiter in there and strain the bacon grease thru it several times. Don't have to change it every time. I also cook my bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven. So much easier. I don't burn myself as much.
Must make this!!! Great idea! So do you use the bacon grease in liquid form when making the mayo?

I've filtered mine through a coffee filter before but it always solidifies before it makes it through the filter. Do you have problem with that?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

So I was a little disappointed with my gain over the past two days. I'm up 2.3#.
Then I looked closer at the numbers: the scale says I've lost 2.2# in fat! So I'm still losing fat! Now I'm happy again!

I don't mind a body composition change like that!

Another reason why the number on the scale doesn't tell the full story.

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 200.3 :/ heh I was thinking back to my bounce day on Wednesday wondering what had changed besides getting up at a gawd awful hour. It hit me like a ton of bricks, right about then is when some family drama arrived on the scene. It is funny cause it makes me mad about the drama for sabotaging my steady downward trend. Mad about the drama and mad about being mad about the drama lol
Wow, it is pretty awesome that you figured that out.
I think one great thing that comes from working so hard to lose weight is that we get in touch with our body and start paying attention to what causes us problems.
I am still not to good at that, but when I read posts like this one it makes me more pay better attention to my body and the things going on in my life. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Must make this!!! Great idea! So do you use the bacon grease in liquid form when making the mayo?

I've filtered mine through a coffee filter before but it always solidifies before it makes it through the filter. Do you have problem with that?
I pour it thru the filter while it is still pretty hot. Some of it does solidify on the filter. The next time I use the filter the hot grease just warms it up and it passes right on thru.
I have made the mayo cold from the fridge or just soft from sitting on the counter. It didn't really matter. I use the eggs cold right outta the fridge.
I like it better after it has been chilled for a while and the flavors get a chance to blend.

Congrats on the fat loss.
I have wanted one of those scales
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Dang that is a great idea about the coffee filter Cheryl
Ahh thanks. The mason jar ring lid is the trick. Keeps the filter from slipping. I love it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Darn drama!! It causes scale drama as well! You think it was cortisol?
You know it'll go back down. Now meditate on bacon. Feel the grease wash over you. Relax. Yesssss. No stress. Just grease and quiet. And bacon.

Kelly
Yeah, stress and cortisol - I shake my fist at thee.

lol bacon and bacon grease for the win!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #161
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
According to the book, the studies showed minimal LBM loss when calories were predominantly from fat. Have you read the beginning of the Fat Fast book? It's short but has some interesting things.

The recipes were so good I plan on using them still but with some added protein. The Asian Noodles would be killer with a little chicken!

I enjoyed the experiment to see how I would do. I would definitely do one again if my weight stalled.

Now I'm ready to drop it like it's hot! Come on, scale!! I shot my last scale that said ugly things to me. True story!

Kelly
Yep. It minimizes LBM losses but it won't stop it. You lose something like 1/4 pound of LBM a day with ketogenic low protein and/or low calorie plans.

If you are obese, the tricky thing is that when you lose weight you will also lose extraneous LBM that was accumulated to support the extra weight you carry around.

What was the name of the book?

I have a stack of non-pleasure books queued up to read but I go in cycles on my reading and right now I am at a perigee in my book reading orbit. It doesn't help that the last book, The Slow Fix, was a junk book dressed up as inspirational and informative. It was neither.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #162
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Wow, it is pretty awesome that you figured that out.
I think one great thing that comes from working so hard to lose weight is that we get in touch with our body and start paying attention to what causes us problems.
I am still not to good at that, but when I read posts like this one it makes me more pay better attention to my body and the things going on in my life. Thanks for sharing that.
The best thing about helping other people is the insight it gives you into your own life
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yep. It minimizes LBM losses but it won't stop it. You lose something like 1/4 pound of LBM a day with ketogenic low protein and/or low calorie plans.

If you are obese, the tricky thing is that when you lose weight you will also lose extraneous LBM that was accumulated to support the extra weight you carry around.

I have a stack of non-pleasure books queued up to read but I go in cycles on my reading and right now I am at a perigee in my book reading orbit. It doesn't help that the last book, The Slow Fix, was a junk book dressed up as inspirational and informative. It was neither.
It's from the Fat Fast cookbook. It's a digital book. It mentioned a done by Dr Benoit that put seven obese men on a 10 day fat fast of 1000 calories per day of 90% from fat. After 10 days they lost an average of 14 pounds each and of that only a half pound was lean mass.

I found it pretty interesting.

Those results may not be typical. I don't know. But I can tell you that I'm pretty darn happy that the fat is going down. Woohoo!

Oh, and Fat Fast cookbook doesn't have a ton of reading. It's more of a pamphlet.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Ok, looking at the scale numbers shows that I had lost some LMB. I know they're not completely accurate but it does show the trend.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The best thing about helping other people is the insight it gives you into your own life
love this

Quote:
Ok, looking at the scale numbers shows that I had lost some LMB. I know they're not completely accurate but it does show the trend.
If ya don't mind me asking
How much LBM did you lose? and has the LBM already started to return?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #166
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi Everyone,

Marking my spot.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Are there any books you have really enjoyed, off the topic of LC?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi Everyone,

Marking my spot.
Hi Eliza!
Welcome
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If ya don't mind me asking
How much LBM did you lose? and has the LBM already started to return?
Sure! Please, please keep in mind that this is a Withings scale which is nice but I don't think their body composition measurements are completely accurate.

Start date: LBM 106.5 Fat 98.4 weight 204.9
End date: LBM 101.5 Fat 97.4. Weight 198.9
Day after: LBM 105.3 Fat 95 Weight 200.3
2 days after: LBM 106. Fat 95.2 weight 201.2

Again, I really don't this this thing is completely accurate but this is interesting. My goal was to get into ketosis quickly. Apparently there are some bad things that go along with a fat fast. Your results may vary.

I would like to do another fat fast next month just to see if the results would be the same after being LCHF for a while.

Though I'm pleased with the weight loss, I'm not thrilled to see the LBM losses. That sucks.

I'll continue to monitor the LBM, fat loss, weight and see what happens.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Marking my spot.
Hi there!!

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sure! Please, please keep in mind that this is a Withings scale which is nice but I don't think their body composition measurements are completely accurate.

Again, I really don't this this thing is completely accurate but this is interesting. My goal was to get into ketosis quickly. Apparently there are some bad things that go along with a fat fast. Your results may vary.

I would like to do another fat fast next month just to see if the results would be the same after being LCHF for a while.

Though I'm pleased with the weight loss, I'm not thrilled to see the LBM losses. That sucks.

Kelly
Wow, Thanks! That is really interesting.
I have tossed around the idea of getting a scale like that. They have such mixed reviews I could not decide.
This makes me want one more
These scales would be especially good if you are gonna try different things like meat and egg, IF or fat fasts.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #172
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Hi Eliza!
Welcome
Quote:
Hi there!!

Kelly
Thanks ladies ,

Looking forward to getting to know you and learning more about the finer points of NK.

Need to go back and read from the beginning, very educational. I am all for new LC science and am excited to have found you. I don't visit the Lobby often but am so glad I came across this thread.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow, Thanks! That is really interesting.
I have tossed around the idea of getting a scale like that. They have such mixed reviews I could not decide.
This makes me want one more
These scales would be especially good if you are gonna try different things like meat and egg, IF or fat fasts.
I like this because it sends the results to my phone app and my iPad. The company says it's accurate but sometimes I see huge swings in the body composition numbers and I know that's not accurate. I've read that even the moisture on your feet can cause it to give different readings. I haven't tested that to see though. Maybe I will. I guess it's good for watching trends though.

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked by the numbers right now. Lol
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Marking my spot.
Hi Eliza Welcome to our thread
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Kelly
That would be a really interesting comparison. The loss of LBM should be greatly reduced if you do it again after strict LCHF.

The LBM bounced right back
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I like this because it sends the results to my phone app and my iPad. The company says it's accurate but sometimes I see huge swings in the body composition numbers and I know that's not accurate. I've read that even the moisture on your feet can cause it to give different readings. I haven't tested that to see though. Maybe I will. I guess it's good for watching trends though.

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked by the numbers right now. Lol
I had read it is best not to keep these scales in the bathroom as they are sensitive to moisture. The one I am looking at measures % Body Fat, % Total Body Water, % Muscle Mass and Bone Mass. They have some awesome cutomer service, it seems, and it is down to $55.00. I think it could be motivating to see those percentages but only if it isn't too aggravating.
In some cases K.I.S.S. works best for me.

Last edited by Clueless; 03-03-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #177
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Are there any books you have really enjoyed, off the topic of LC?
Not mind candy type books?

Probably the most recent was "The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills". Very concise and very interesting.

Another awful book was "30 Days to Better Thinking and Better Living Through Critical Thinking: A Guide for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life, Revised and Expanded". Just pathetic. A book of dictums rather than critical thinking.

"The Courage Quotient: How Science Can Make You Braver" was a very interesting book to read.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That would be a really interesting comparison. The loss of LBM should be greatly reduced if you do it again after strict LCHF.

The LBM bounced right back
Do you think the LBM bounce back is accurate though? Can a person gain that much LBM overnight? I'm clueless! Do you know?

I think I'll do it again next month just to see if it makes a difference whether you start out in ketosis or not when doing a fat fast. I'll wait to get my ketone strips so I can test to make sure I'm in ketosis before starting. I know for a fact that I was not in ketosis when I started the fat fast but by the end their was a sign of moderate ketones on the Ketostix.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Do you think the LBM bounce back is accurate though? Can a person gain that much LBM overnight? I'm clueless! Do you know?

I think I'll do it again next month just to see if it makes a difference whether you start out in ketosis or not when doing a fat fast. I'll wait to get my ketone strips so I can test to make sure I'm in ketosis before starting. I know for a fact that I was not in ketosis when I started the fat fast but by the end their was a sign of moderate ketones on the Ketostix.

Kelly
I can tell you for a fact that a WiThing scale has no ability to distinguish fat from muscle. While I was losing fat, what it reported seemed reasonable to me. But then, when I started powerlifting, I could see muscle hypertrophy in the mirror, but my WiThings scale reported no increase in LBM, only fat.

It would be great if it worked, but it doesn't.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had read it is best not to keep these scales in the bathroom as they are sensitive to moisture. The one I am looking at measures % Body Fat, % Total Body Water, % Muscle Mass and Bone Mass. They have some awesome cutomer service, it seems, and it is down to $55.00. I think it could be motivating to see those percentages but only if it isn't too aggravating.
In some cases K.I.S.S. works best for me.
What scale are you looking at?
Wait, don't tell me. I don't need another gadget.
So what kind is it?

Kelly
Closed Thread