Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1591
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
Yeah, I've seen large packs of bacon ends and wondered what they are. Unfortunately, I can only do the non-cured bacon, and they never have a large batch of those things. But I keep all my bacon grease though, it's liquid gold.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #1592
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Down to 157.5 this morning somehow! I'm not questioning it, I'm happy!
Yahoo!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #1593
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya View Post
So today I'm stalled at 191.4 and I think it's because I went over on carbs last night. I usually stay about 15 or less and tried something new and hit 21. But I'm wondering if it's just water weight. Quick question, are pickles better than bouillon cubes? The kind I'm taking right now is about 1.2g of sodium. But to be honest, I can't stand the taste of those things and would love to just do a bottle of Power Aid zero and a pickle lol.

Babybells are awesome, I usually do 1 a night or if you want some really yummy cheese, try the Kerrygold Irish cheese. They are usually in your fine cheese section at grocery stores, at least over here. A 1oz piece (which is really large) is 95kcal, 9g fat, 4g protein.

Anyone weigh their food? I do and I realized that things you think weigh something are totally off. I had this huge piece of cheese last night and I was sure it was going to be 2oz and it was only 1.65. And now, like the geek I am, I'm weighing the most random things just to see how much they weigh, like pens and rings, etc.
I weigh almost all my food. Keeps me honest.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #1594
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
So today I'm stalled at 191.4 and I think it's because I went over on carbs last night. I usually stay about 15 or less and tried something new and hit 21. But I'm wondering if it's just water weight. Quick question, are pickles better than bouillon cubes? The kind I'm taking right now is about 1.2g of sodium. But to be honest, I can't stand the taste of those things and would love to just do a bottle of Power Aid zero and a pickle lol.

Babybells are awesome, I usually do 1 a night or if you want some really yummy cheese, try the Kerrygold Irish cheese. They are usually in your fine cheese section at grocery stores, at least over here. A 1oz piece (which is really large) is 95kcal, 9g fat, 4g protein.

Anyone weigh their food? I do and I realized that things you think weigh something are totally off. I had this huge piece of cheese last night and I was sure it was going to be 2oz and it was only 1.65. And now, like the geek I am, I'm weighing the most random things just to see how much they weigh, like pens and rings, etc.
There's nothing really special about store bought bouillon. It is a great and, usually, tasty way to add sodium to your menu. But it is the sodium that is important. Zero carb sports drinks are fine. Pickles are good.

You can use bouillon as an ingredient in a dish instead of drinking it as broth. For example, if I am frying up some cooked diced chicken with cabbage I might add a crumbled up cube while cooking it. Or that super tasty soup that Cheryl gave us. I use a couple of bouillon cubes in it.

Everyone's normally got about a 4 pound window of water weight that sloshes around. That plus any additional water retention is why you can see huge overnight gains and why you see a whoosh after several days at the same weight. I think I 'gained' 3 pounds on my weigh-in this morning.

I weigh and log everything I eat. I don't log water or soda (or supplements) but I do keep an eye on how much water I drink. I usually drink 80 to 100 ounces of water a day and tons of diet soda. Plus the 20oz of morning coffee.

I use a digital WW scale. I really like it for the zero function. I really hate it when the battery gets low and the weight disappears while I am chopping something up to add to the food already on the plate.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #1595
Junior LCF Member

I agree, if I didn't have my scale, I truly would have no idea how much I was really eating. For example I made a protein sludge last night for the first time and it called for 1T peanut butter, I use raw almond butter, and man, the amount was not what I would have ever imagined a real tbsp is. It's much smaller. I think I'll just add in the bouillon into things I eat instead of just drinking it.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #1596
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I also use a digital food scale and log everything I eat. The food scale has been really helpful in learning what 100 grams or an ounce of something looks like, and keeps me in check with foods like almonds that are really easy to overeat. I made a deal with myself that I would only keep almonds around if I weigh out every portion I eat.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #1597
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Now y'all have me wanting a digital scale
Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #1598
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Now y'all have me wanting a digital scale
I surprisingly found a really dirt cheap digi that has a zero out scale. You want a zero function, trust me But mine I got for I think $7 and free shipping and it works just fine. It's not super large, but I just need it for food, so no biggie to me.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1599
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I surprisingly found a really dirt cheap digi that has a zero out scale. You want a zero function, trust me But mine I got for I think $7 and free shipping and it works just fine. It's not super large, but I just need it for food, so no biggie to me.
I gave $25 at Big Box Mart
But I love the zero out. I just put my plate on the scale and measure on it.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #1600
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunflwr1
Stats: 5' 9" 196/159.1/145
WOE: Whole30/HFLC/NK
Start Date: LC off and on since '03
Hi!

Hi Everyone... My name is Marcia! I've been lurking around for a while and will be joining you all in April. I've been losing the same 40 lbs. for years and years... WW, LC, starvation, WW, LC, etc. but this is going to be the last time! I did the Whole30 program 10/2012 and it was great! I lost 10 lbs. and gave up all sweeteners, real & artificial including my beloved Diet Pepsi (no longer beloved) and all processed foods. Although I've not been diagnosed Type II I do have BG issues and found that sweet potatoes and fruit are an issue so I don't have them anymore... basically no sugar, no junk oils so I make my own ghee, mayo, salad dressings, and seasoning mixes. Yummm!

I came across the idea of reducing protein (Dr. Rosedale) and that led me to Jimmy Moore's NK experiment and here I am! I'm probably the grandmother here... I'm 62, hypothyroid, and way past menopause, but it's never too late, right? Besides, for me... it's no longer to look great in that bikini... it's to live the rest of my life happy, healthy, independent, and feeling maaahvelous!

I received my blood ketone meter and strips the other day... I've tested the last 2 mornings 2.3 & 2.6 Don't know if it's psychological, but I've been feeling better and stonger. I walk 2.5 miles just about everyday and feel so much stronger, invigorated! Could it be I'm keto-adapted??? I'm 5' 9" and my goal weight is 145. I've been eating around 1600 cal... 85/15/3 but my weight has been hanging around 165 lb. for a while now. I'm wondering as to how many cal. & protein... with Red's post at the very beginning it looks like I should be having around 1800 cal?

Anyway... nice meeting all of you... I've been reading all your posts... gleaning all the info I can. I do weigh my food and will start posting my stats when the April thread starts. Thanks Much!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #1601
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflwr1 View Post
Hi Everyone... My name is Marcia! I've been lurking around for a while and will be joining you all in April. I've been losing the same 40 lbs. for years and years... WW, LC, starvation, WW, LC, etc. but this is going to be the last time! I did the Whole30 program 10/2012 and it was great! I lost 10 lbs. and gave up all sweeteners, real & artificial including my beloved Diet Pepsi (no longer beloved) and all processed foods. Although I've not been diagnosed Type II I do have BG issues and found that sweet potatoes and fruit are an issue so I don't have them anymore... basically no sugar, no junk oils so I make my own ghee, mayo, salad dressings, and seasoning mixes. Yummm!

I came across the idea of reducing protein (Dr. Rosedale) and that led me to Jimmy Moore's NK experiment and here I am! I'm probably the grandmother here... I'm 62, hypothyroid, and way past menopause, but it's never too late, right? Besides, for me... it's no longer to look great in that bikini... it's to live the rest of my life happy, healthy, independent, and feeling maaahvelous!

I received my blood ketone meter and strips the other day... I've tested the last 2 mornings 2.3 & 2.6 Don't know if it's psychological, but I've been feeling better and stonger. I walk 2.5 miles just about everyday and feel so much stronger, invigorated! Could it be I'm keto-adapted??? I'm 5' 9" and my goal weight is 145. I've been eating around 1600 cal... 85/15/3 but my weight has been hanging around 165 lb. for a while now. I'm wondering as to how many cal. & protein... with Red's post at the very beginning it looks like I should be having around 1800 cal?

Anyway... nice meeting all of you... I've been reading all your posts... gleaning all the info I can. I do weigh my food and will start posting my stats when the April thread starts. Thanks Much!
Hy Marcia,
Glad your joining us!
I just made up a batch of mayo and dressing. Mine last about 5 days before I notice it starts to separate. How long do you use yours?
I used pickle juice instead of lemon and vinegar in this batch. I think I am going to like it. I would love to hear any good recipes you have for dressings, seasonings and mayo
Nice to meet you.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #1602
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:

Hi Marcia Welcome to our thread

"I'm 62, hypothyroid, and way past menopause"

Thyroid and postmenopausal may make figuring out the right calorie level to lose weight a challenge. Keep good records so you can track how your macros and calories work for you so you can tweak as you go. Do you take thyroid medication? If you do, has it been adjusted at all since losing 30 pounds?

Your protein is just a little low. 15% of 1600 cals is about 60g which is about .91g/kg for 145 pounds. I think if your ketone readings are good you can probably eat more protein and be okay. Maybe 5g to 40g more.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #1603
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 303/296/150
Start Date: March 2013
I have a new favorite addiction: homemade yogurt made with HWC and whole milk. So delicious! I've been eating it for breakfast, and the carb count is virtually nothing because I cook it for 24 hours. My favorite way of eating it so far is with a drop of almond extract, a little splenda, and about half an ounce of toasted pecans. It's a nice substitute for the yogurt and granola I used to eat regularly.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #1604
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Hy Marcia,
Glad your joining us!
I just made up a batch of mayo and dressing. Mine last about 5 days before I notice it starts to separate. How long do you use yours?
I used pickle juice instead of lemon and vinegar in this batch. I think I am going to like it. I would love to hear any good recipes you have for dressings, seasonings and mayo
Nice to meet you.
Hi Cheryl! ... thanks for the welcome! Pickle juice... now that's interesting! I love all things salty so it sounds like a winner to me. Now is that in the mayo, dressing, or both?

For my mayo I use 1 whole raw egg, 1 T. lime juice, 1 T. lemon juice, 1/2 t. Dijon Mustard, 1/2 t. salt, and a titch more than 1 C. olive oil. Whirl it up with my immersion blender and it's devine!!!

For my dry Italian Dressing mix I use 2 T. oregano, 2 T. salt, 2 T. onion powder, 1-1/2T garlic powder, 1 T. parsely flakes, 1 t. basil 1 t. black pepper, 1/4 t. celery salt, 1/4 t. thyme... mix it up good and keep it in a glass jar. When you're ready to make some dressing use 1/4 C. red wine vinegar, 2/3 C. olive oil, 2 T. water, and 2 T. of the dry mix. Put the lid on and shake it really good. Sometimes I mix it up in my "Magic Bullet" (love that thing) and that works really good. Mine separates by the next day... I just give it a good shake. I also add some of my homemade mayo sometimes to make it more of a Ranch dressing. Yummmmm!

I think this is pretty universal, but I did have someone ask me once so...

T. = tablespoon
t. = teaspoon

Thanks again, Cheryl!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #1605
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Marcia Welcome to our thread

"I'm 62, hypothyroid, and way past menopause"

Thyroid and postmenopausal may make figuring out the right calorie level to lose weight a challenge. Keep good records so you can track how your macros and calories work for you so you can tweak as you go. Do you take thyroid medication? If you do, has it been adjusted at all since losing 30 pounds?

Your protein is just a little low. 15% of 1600 cals is about 60g which is about .91g/kg for 145 pounds. I think if your ketone readings are good you can probably eat more protein and be okay. Maybe 5g to 40g more.
Hi Red ... thanks for the welcome!

To make a long story hopefully short... I had my kitchen remodeled this summer and with it being torn up I kept forgetting my thyroid meds. Since they had a hard time getting it regulated the year before I thought... I'll just wait til my physical and get a fresh start since my Dr. moved away. Well in the fall I was getting so weak I could barely get up the stairs... then it dawned on me. I started taking my meds religiously and felt much better within a week! Since then I've had my physical. My TSH was 7.46, but I had only been back on my meds about 3 weeks. Now I'm on 150 MCG of Levothyroxine and will have my blood tested again in May. I lost the first 10 lbs. while doing the Whole30 program... then after Christmas I was naughty and fell off the wagon, but that's when I started back on my meds and I lost 10 lbs. Now I've lost around another 10 lbs., but not much more in the last 3-4 weeks. I do track my food, but I guess we're not allowed to post that? It's all so difficult to figure out. Too much protein, too little, too much exercise? But I do know that I'm happy, feeling good... love what I'm eating and will just keep, keepin' on!

Red... I know it's only been 2 tests, but did you think my ketone readings were good?

Thanks Much!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #1606

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
I do track my food, but I guess we're not allowed to post that? It's all so difficult to figure out.
Hi Sunflowr1, we're sorry if it's still a bit confusing, we've created an announcement and tried to make it as clear as possible.

Couple of things:

- You are allowed to mention that you track on "an online nutrition tracker", or that you found information on one (just keep it generic and don't name the tracker if it is not allowed).

- You are allowed to copy/paste your macro levels from whichever program you use.

- You are allowed to post any trackers listed in the tools information.

- Basically, you are not allowed to directly link to nor name any nutrition tracker which also sells any product or service; see these links for more information
Terms of Service - Policy Modification
Low Carb Friends - Announcements in Forum : The Maintain Lane

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #1607
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Went out to dinner tonight at Texas Roadhouse. Definitely one of my favorite chain restaurants. Any place that plays Pat Green is alright with me!

Ran 2 miles, walked 1.5, did 120 20-pd kettlebell swings.

B: coffee w/ 1T HWC, 2 pieces bacon, 2 HB eggs
S: cup chicken bouillon
L: slice chicken enchilada bake w/ 1 avocado
S: 5g coconut oil, 1 oz macadamia nuts, 1 egg yolk
D: chicken caesar salad

1995 calories/160g fat/35g carbs (19 net)/111g protein
Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #1608
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I just have to say:misscase, your chicken bullion with the hwc is the bomb!

I am waiting for my new ketone strips. I hate not having any. It's been a bad week in terms of trying to eat properly. We have been to dinner three times this week at other people's homes. Yikes!
Isn't it awesome! I love it. Sometimes I have it with some Kerrygold mixed in, but it just isn't the same.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #1609
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I'm an OCD weigher. My food and myself. Anything that goes into my mouth has to be weighed, unless I'm out to eat.

Pickles are good, but only if they are Claussen. Ok, maybe I'm a bit biased. Pickles are fine.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #1610
Senior LCF Member

Hi Marcia! Welcome!

Do you do dairy?

I go back and forth between dairy-ful LCHF and Paleo LCHF, which basically means I drop the dairy and don't eat sweet potatoes or starchy veggies or anything.

Been kicking around the idea of a Whole 30 starting 4/1.

Your ketone readings are great!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #1611
Major LCF Poster!

Marcia, Yes I put pickle juice in the mayo and the ranch dressing I made. I had been wanting to try that. I tried some of the dressing. It was good.
Oh man thanks for the recipes. I am gonna try them.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #1612
Major LCF Poster!

Log for today

Calories 1660

Fat: 137 75%
Pro: 73 18%
Carb: 28 7%

Breakfast/ sausage and egg yolks
Lunch Salad with chorizo sausage and mushrooms
Supper/ Mom's Easter dinner/ Ham, deviled eggs, zucchini, asparagus, Non of the yummy dessert she made but I came home and had cream cheese with 2 strawberries and 2 TBS cool whip
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #1613
Junior LCF Member

Hi Maryposa... No need to be sorry... I meant I was really confused about how much actual protein to have in general, but I was uncertain if I could post my stats so thanks so much for the links... they were great... so much useful information! P.S. You look fabulous!!! You've done amazing!

Hi Mizzcase... thanks for the welcome and the thumbs-up in my test results. The only dairy I've added in since Whole30 is a bit of raw organic cheddar cheese. I do make my own ghee... that was allowed on Whole30. I use full fat organic coconut milk and it is to die for! Might have to try that with your bullion recipe. Is the recipe in this thread? I really enjoyed the Whole30 and it taught me a lot about what not to put in my mouth. I'm pretty OCD myself, but not with the scale... Whole30 you don't weigh yourself for the entire 30 days, but I love working out my meals... tweaking, tweaking, tweaking.

Thanks Cheryl... I'm due to make a new batch of mayo in a few days and will definitely have to try that. Claussens, of course!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #1614

Sunflwr1, I am glad you found the links helpful... yup, you can post your stats (copy/paste) and ask for input from others.

Thanks for the compliments, I change up my plan every once in a while (always somewhere in the low carb spectrum) and recently went lower carb, higher fat than what I have been doing. It seems so much more satiating.

Anyway, I will stick around this thread a bit to learn more about NK...
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #1615
Senior LCF Member

No recipe, I just usually add 3T heavy cream to a cup of bouillon. I dunno if it would be 1:1 for coconut milk, but you could try it!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #1616
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Chicken bouillon is great with coconut milk! Throw a little ginger and lemongrass (I use the squeeze bottle kinds) and you've got some Thai coconut chicken soup-like broth. Deeelish.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #1617

when I used to do the fat fast regularly, I used to like chicken broth and a little shredded cabbage cooked in (because it's so low cal it worked in alright) and I added butter to it.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #1618
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Hey everyone! I just started taking a new multivitamin today (GNC Women's Ultra Mega without Iron and Iodine) and of course as expected I'm getting the neon yellow pee problem that most everyone seems to get from the B-Complex that's in it. I know that's just my body getting rid of the excess it can't use, but will that have any influence on my ketostix?

I'm hoping not, because I won't have my blood meter for a little while still now... I sent out for it about a week ago, so it'll take some time. The ketostix have been working for me pretty well the whole time I've been using them, so I'd be bummed if they got messed up somehow!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #1619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Welcome Sunflwr1!

Raindroproses, idk the answer to your question. I haven't done ketone strips in a long time. I love my blood ketone meter though
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #1620
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyP View Post
I have a new favorite addiction: homemade yogurt made with HWC and whole milk. So delicious! I've been eating it for breakfast, and the carb count is virtually nothing because I cook it for 24 hours. My favorite way of eating it so far is with a drop of almond extract, a little splenda, and about half an ounce of toasted pecans. It's a nice substitute for the yogurt and granola I used to eat regularly.
Sounds so good!! I was making homemade full-fat yogurt until I started NK. Do you add the HWC after it incubates? And you say you let it incubate for 24 hours? I've gotta know!! I miss my yogurt.
Closed Thread