Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #1531
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
Hi all!

Red- I am grateful that you are not "OMG sedentary" and you care enough about newbies and this community to give such profound advice and encouragement. It really means something so you rock in this low carb gym of NK knowledge.

Amen sista!!
Red Rocks!

I love this thread so much!! Everyone here is NICE and supportive. That is not something I have seen anywhere on discussion forums. S
Thanks for this awesome thread Darin!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #1532
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Red-
Thank you

Quote:
Joyone: Your reply was right on target. Wrong potassium ---it is 99mg with fillers. Back to health food store. Thanks for sharing!
There's nothing particularly wrong with the one you've got as long as the other stuff in the pill is okay to take two or three times a day.

Quote:
Speaking of drinking, I like my red wine on the weekends. I can say that will be the biggest change I will have to endure. I heard Dr. Phinney say getting Keto adapted is like climbing a large sand dune, It is hard but once you get to the top, it is worth it. I don't want to start and stop this plan because I sense that it is NOT forgiving. Thoughts on this?
There are several people that drink wine while doing NK. From what they've posted it doesn't seem to interfere with NK. I'm not sure what type of wine they are drinking or how dry it is. There are plenty of zero carb or low carb alcohols around though. As long as you account for the calories and carbs it shouldn't be a problem. But I'm sure the impact is an individualized thing.

I think it is best to avoid alcohol while trying to lose weight. I do not drink but I'd quit drinking almost entirely years ago, way before starting LC. On the other hand, if it is something you really would like to enjoy it seems to be doable with NK.

I found an interesting article about alcohol and weight loss. Google 'alcohol and weight loss look cut'.

Quote:
I am off as I put some unsweetened coco in my coconut oil for a snack. Don't know if I should post sugar grams as I had no idea that contained sugar. I was ticked as I bought hormone free sausages from the natural grocer and they have 3 grams of sugar in them. I am now on alert to see the hidden sugars.
Sugar grams are in the carbs you posted so there is no need to separate them out.

I'm super close to sugar free. I never add sugar to anything and I don't eat sugary foods of any kind. However, if something has a few grams of sugar in it and I want to eat it I eat it. Like the sausage you ate. I ate some Hilshire Farms sausage this morning. I've had the Eckrich cheddar and jalapeno sausage. Even though it might add as much as 15g carbs for the day as long as I am otherwise good on my macros it is fine. I might not eat any veggies that day to keep total carbs real low. Beef jerky is very hard to find without sugar so I've eaten that before too even though there is a little sugar in it. There's a lot of protein so that keeps the amount I eat reasonable because I don't want to overdo protein. Lots of bacon has some trace sugar so I don't worry about it in the bacon either. As long as my total carbs for the day are about right and the rest of my menu items are not borderline then I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #1533
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 196.7!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #1534
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
Great job on all the losses everyone

I grew up in Houston actually and did my undergrad up in Dallas. I miss the big city. Over here it's pretty rural, even though Minneapolis is supposed to be a "city" lol. But yeah, if you're going to hit up TJs, it's much better to hit it mid week and definitely not on the weekends. It's a crazy house in there. One thing you can do is call ahead and have them put aside however many kerrygolds you want and then you can just pick it up. That's what I do since it's usually the only thing I'll pick up, except for their coco almond bar, which is a nice treat every once in a while and pretty clean.

Here's something I found out today. If you're odd like me and go to Chilpolte (can I mention that on here? Sorry if that's wrong), and order just the meat, like carnitas and nothing else in a bowl, they only charge you as a side, so only $2.75 I think. I don't eat anything else there, and 4oz serving, this varies as I took mine home and weighed it, it was only 3.3oz, but it's 27g protein and 8g Fat and 1 carb.

Being sugar free feels so clean, at least to me.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #1535
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi all!

Mizzcase: Hope you get some down time from school, I am intrigued by Mockfoni. I just wrote out a swiss rice casserole with cauliflower. I also used cauliflower to make a pizza crust. Good ideas to ward off those pesky taters/gluten/pasta.
It is a Linda Sue recipe! She uses cauliflower but I use broccoli, cauiliflower creeps me out.. ate too much of it back in my unhealthy dieting days.

I love it because its macaroni and cheese minus the noodles.. I put a layer of parmesan on top after baking in and broil it for a few extra minutes. So delicious.

Also, re:drinking, I love my wine and refuse to deprive myself. I've found white wine does not make me stall and I keep losing just fine on it. Sometimes, I wake up 2 pounds lighter the next morning after 3-4 glasses.

Last edited by mizzcase; 03-29-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #1536
Senior LCF Member

Today, wow, was crazy. I wasn't hungry this morning before I left for school, which never ever ever happens. I always eat in the morning. Guess I must be in ketosis. Left my house around 8, I brought 1.5T of coconut oil with me to school to tide me over til I got home and could eat a proper lunch.. well, forgot I had to stay late for a project and didn't get home til 4:30! BUT I WASN'T HUNGRY.. I ate the CO at about 12:30 and actually got pretty ketauseous around 2.. if was awesome :-)

When I got home I had 2 pieces of chicken enchilada bake with an entire avocado on top, and it was like the best thing I ever put in my mouth.

Today was a good day!

B: coffee w/ 1T HWC, cup plain bouillon
L: 1.5T coconut oil
D: 2 pieces enchilada bake, 1 avocado

1321 cals/105g fat/23g carbs (12 net)/79g protein
Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #1537
Junior LCF Member

Wait, is Mockfoni some kind of pizza thing? I honestly thought it was an obscure Italian dish.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #1538
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya View Post
Great job on all the losses everyone

I grew up in Houston actually and did my undergrad up in Dallas. I miss the big city. Over here it's pretty rural, even though Minneapolis is supposed to be a "city" lol. But yeah, if you're going to hit up TJs, it's much better to hit it mid week and definitely not on the weekends. It's a crazy house in there. One thing you can do is call ahead and have them put aside however many kerrygolds you want and then you can just pick it up. That's what I do since it's usually the only thing I'll pick up, except for their coco almond bar, which is a nice treat every once in a while and pretty clean.

Here's something I found out today. If you're odd like me and go to Chilpolte (can I mention that on here? Sorry if that's wrong), and order just the meat, like carnitas and nothing else in a bowl, they only charge you as a side, so only $2.75 I think. I don't eat anything else there, and 4oz serving, this varies as I took mine home and weighed it, it was only 3.3oz, but it's 27g protein and 8g Fat and 1 carb.

Being sugar free feels so clean, at least to me.
Well, that is interesting. I've never eaten at that place but ordering the meat in a bowl is a great idea.

Several months ago I was hitting as many different BBQ places as I could find trying out their meats without the sauce. Nothing beats LC like the LC diet food of pork ribs, brisket, sausage, etc. heh.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #1539
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Amen sista!!
Red Rocks!

I love this thread so much!! Everyone here is NICE and supportive. That is not something I have seen anywhere on discussion forums.

Thanks for this awesome thread Darin!
Dunno why but we seem to get really great people on our thread
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #1540
Blabbermouth!!!

ketauseous lol I love that word. Becky is the one that made it up. It has happened to me a couple of times when I od'd a bit on the fat.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #1541
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wait, is Mockfoni some kind of pizza thing? I honestly thought it was an obscure Italian dish.
I think it's mock macaroni. phoney macaroni
Old 03-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #1542
Junior LCF Member

:groan: Don't talk to me about great bbq. They don't know how to do it up here in MN. I mean there's a couple places that are half-way decent, but nothing like down in Tx. I miss things like Luther's and Goode Comp and the mom/pop joints that turned out awesome food.

Have to be careful, I was once at Outback and asked to get their ribs without the sauce, it took 45mins because they had to actually cook up a rack, lol. So now, I just ask if getting it without the sauce is going to take forever.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #1543
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, its kind of like a broccoli and cheese casserole. Broccoli, cream cheese, HWC, and lots and lots of cheddar.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #1544
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, that is interesting. I've never eaten at that place but ordering the meat in a bowl is a great idea.

Several months ago I was hitting as many different BBQ places as I could find trying out their meats without the sauce. Nothing beats LC like the LC diet food of pork ribs, brisket, sausage, etc. heh.
Rudy's!! I LOVE TEXAS.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #1545
Blabbermouth!!!

I tell you what. You want to find out who really has good BBQ order it without sauce. I was surprised at the sins that sauces cover up where BBQ is concerned.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #1546
Blabbermouth!!!

This is very cool:

Ron Finley started a garden, and a movement, on the strip of grass between the street and the sidewalk in South Central LA.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #1547
Blabbermouth!!!

I got it from the blog of a new person that posted in the Say Hello thread in the lobby:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Mistretta View Post
Hey guys,
So I'm new here. I hope to get involved right away. Learn a few things, perhaps help a few people. You gotta love the internet for the sharing of information aspect of it.

Not much of a fan of talking about myself, so if you want to know my story and how I got involved with all this natural health stuff, please check out my blog, NaturalHealthPub.com

OK then. Until next time.

Nick
Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #1548
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Rudy's is the best! But dang, that creamed corn is dangerous! I also miss Taco Cabana.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #1549
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Rudy's is the best! But dang, that creamed corn is dangerous! I also miss Taco Cabana.
Ah late nights at that place when all you order is a stack of awesome tortillas and some queso, lol. We used to hit up TC after school or during lunches when we were seniors in high school. Ah, so much good food in Tx, lol.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #1550
Senior LCF Member

Nothin cures a hangover like a breakfast taco, or 3.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #1551
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Nothin cures a hangover like a breakfast taco, or 3.
hahaha, yeah at 2:30am scarfing down tacos. I swear if I ate now what I ate then, I'd probably be dead right now, lol. Invincible youth, those were the days.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #1552
Major LCF Poster!

Log For today

Calories 1635

Fat: 124 68%
Pro: 113 28%
Carb: 16 4%

Breakfast: Bacon and egg yolks
Lunch: Baconator!
Supper: Mushroom swiss burger

My protein was high but it was worth it I skipped the Mayo on the baconator. I am trying soy free! I really like the ranch dressing made from the bacon grease mayo. There was a pretty good recipe in the New Atkins book.
My Goiter is very small now. I thinking staying away from soy is helping.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #1553
Major LCF Poster!

Amanda, Did you feel any better during your workout today?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #1554
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Today has been kind of weird, food wise. I got up very early because I am starting a new temp job and wasn't sure how long the drive would be in morning traffic. I skipped breakfast because I was rushed/nervous, got an Atkins bar at the grocery store for lunch, and cooked a cheeseburger for dinner. I'm also drinking a shot of vodka to celebrate what will hopefully be a long term assignment. I've been out of work a long time and really need this job.

I rarely eat stuff like Atkins bars but was in an unfamiliar part of town and just went to the grocery store near work. I'll try to plan out my meals better next week.

Quote:
I tell you what. You want to find out who really has good BBQ order it without sauce. I was surprised at the sins that sauces cover up where BBQ is concerned.
I read that in Hank Hill's voice.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #1555
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Today has been kind of weird, food wise. I got up very early because I am starting a new temp job and wasn't sure how long the drive would be in morning traffic. I skipped breakfast because I was rushed/nervous, got an Atkins bar at the grocery store for lunch, and cooked a cheeseburger for dinner. I'm also drinking a shot of vodka to celebrate what will hopefully be a long term assignment. I've been out of work a long time and really need this job.

I rarely eat stuff like Atkins bars but was in an unfamiliar part of town and just went to the grocery store near work. I'll try to plan out my meals better next week.

Congrats on the job!!
So Happy for you!!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #1556
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post

Congrats on the job!!!

...and lol on Hank Hill
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #1557
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Mar 29, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,418

Fat: 218
Pro: 97
Car: 26

79/17/4

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Smoked sausage & cheese.
Dinner: Very early, chicken, jalapeno, cabbage, broth [bouillon x3, butter, bacon grease].
Snack: 2oz HWC float.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #1558
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Amanda, Did you feel any better during your workout today?
I drank my bullion and I'm getting ready to go in. I will report on the flip side.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #1559
Senior LCF Member

The Hank Hill comment was perfect! And it made me snort! LOL
Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #1560
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I drank my bullion and I'm getting ready to go in. I will report on the flip side.
Closed Thread