Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
I AM going out tonight.....destressing! it might get ugly!!! lol
If only you had a beach house on a nude beach. The clothes wouldn't be a issue

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcah1 View Post
Hi! Im in on the challenge but I am very curious how many calories you all are actually eating a day. Right now I'm trying to do 1800 with 75/15/10 but I consistently eat about +2000k to meet this macro. I am losing, but didin't want to go overboard with the calories.

thanks
Hi Welcome to our thread

Than answer is... don't eat to macros eat to protein grams and use the macros as a quick glance guide.

I am currently eating about 2500 calories a day.

1800 looks good for a weight loss calorie level for you.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
It came with a TON of extra reading.....what was so tricky for you? and if you found it tricky...and you do your bg every day?!? I MUST read the instructions! I've never done this. lol
WHAT is the cod liver for? You are a better person than I! Just the thought....and fermented too? I just remember horror stories from my parents when i was a kid about them having to take it and it seemed more like a punishment!

How long did you do this before you started seeing drops?
I guess it wasn't so much that it was tricky as that the machine seemed kinda flimsy compared to my others. When I put the strip in, it doesn't fit very neatly and firmly into its spot. When I did my first test, it didn't work, gave me a code and the code said that the strip was not properly in its cradle.

Now that I've gotten some horrid blood lipid results, I want to really shore up my eating and especially make sure that I'm getting all that I need from my fats and nothing that I shouldn't be. Fermented cod liver oil is supposed to be *really* great for you and also is a good source of vitamin D and, uhh, something else.

I'm also going to add some fish oil but I have no idea what kind/brand/amount. I'd love it if there was a good one I could pick up at costco. I went and looked at them recently and had no idea what the difference between them was. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Congrats!!!

That is exactly what Phinney describes. You will naturally want to be and be more active when you lose weight. Over doing it is counterproductive of course but bumping calories up a little if needed with the increased activity should be fine. As long as you have a reasonable calorie deficit and you can calmly deal with transient exercise related weight gain no worries.
I love this feeling, actually, I think because it is so not me. lol I am inherently a couch potato. I first felt this when I was doing my entirely meat diet a couple of years ago, before I had heard of NK, and I was so amazed because right after it hit me, I read the passage in Good Calories, Bad Calories that described exactly what was happening.

Quote:
another question...i tried to test my ketone number this am just for giggles. I had to poke my finger 2x (OUCH) and the machine registered LO.....lo? isn't it supposed to give a number? Or were my ketones so lo it didn't even register???
Are you like a week into your NK'ing? If so, that is way too early to be testing, IMO. I would say around week six would be good, though I think some people are in deep ketosis a bit earlier than that. If I was you, I'd wait until I really felt ketotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
My husband's birthday was AWESOME! I stayed on plan, ate delicious greek food, had wonderful induction friendly oopsie cream puffs annnnnddddd my WI was 192 even this morning. I don't think I've ever had a birthday celebration where I had a lower weight the next morning! I am TOO STOKED!!
That's awesome! I'm happy you guys had fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey, yeah I have, never formally diagnosed, but I have had anorexic and bulimic tendencies that go back-and-forth and have been dealing with them since I was 15. There was a period of time when I was 17-22 where I consistently weighed 95-100 pounds, was amenorrheic, and had down fur (lanugo) growing all over my body and face. It was terrible. I had another episode last year where I only ate 500 calories a day. I only decide to put an effort into recovery because I couldn't handle school full-time while I also managed a raging bout of anorexia.

I don't think my eating disordered thought will EVER go away, but I've learned to manage it. Curiously enough, when I decided to recover this last go round, I developed a strange case of binge eating disorder that never happened to me before. It gradually ceased as I became weight-stabilized, but I still suffer from those "all or nothing" thought occasionally.

I THINK NK has helped my eating disorder because it completely killed cravings and helped me stop obsessively thinking about food, but I'd really contribute most of getting over ED and the subsequent binging (LOL, JK, don't think I'll ever be COMPLETELY over it) to cutting grains and sugars. They really make me crave and make me food-obsessed.

The biggest problem for me with NK is that its been making me food obsessed lately because of the micromanaging and tracking. And I've found I've been binging alot more if I go over my recommended protein, carbs or calories for the day because then I think, "Well, already screwed up this day, might as well screw it royally." I'm a perfectionist (something alot of eating disordered people are), so if my macros% or gram counts of these macros aren't PERFECT, I feel like I've failed. Another trouble with tracking during NK was that made me KIND OF lose my hunger/satiation cues, and I was completely unable to stop eating when I knew I was full-- I had already logged those calories and if I didn't eat every.single.bite my log would be skewed and there was no way to tell what I actually ate.

See what I mean when I say I'm probably always gonna have a disordered eating mindset no matter what?

I've still been eating HFLC, but I've stopped tracking calories and macros and just trusting my body. I've also stopped weighing every day (LOL, more like 10x a day) because it was driving me nuts and was just a reminder that my disordered eating behavior has reared its head.

Tracking macros and calories REALLY helps alot of people and I think its completely necessary if you want to do NK the "correct" and "perfect" way, but it just drives me nuts. So I'm doing a personalized version of NK and I don't care what anyone says.

Sorry that was winded and if you read down this far, good job.
Thanks for going into all that! It wasn't long-winded at all, very interesting in fact. I have only dealt with the binge eating side of things myself, but I feel like I have an inkling of the other end of things because I also get obsessive when I'm eating well and have a real problem with perfectionism and feeling like everything is all or nothing.

Your anorexia must have been awfully scary for you and your family. It's amazing how you've turned it around in a short period of time.

Have you read brain over binge? The author was originally anorexic and then started binging later. I found the book pretty helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
So...haven't been around for a week, went to the ER last Sat after 12 hours of heart palpitation (PVC's) everything seems fine. they didn't go away til monday morning. Let me tell you that is disconcerting.
How long have you been doing this way of eating? When I am deeply in ketosis I feel something like heart palpitations. It makes me feel kind of nervous sometimes, but I think it is okay and just what happens when I'm really in fat burning mode. It makes feel like I am going to jump right out of my skin. I'm racy and jittery and feel like I've had a huge adrenalin rush. I've been trying to study through it and it's hard because I almost feel like I can't slow my mind down enough to work well.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Today:

B: black coffee, eggs scrambled in ghee, bacon
L: 1 HB egg, spaghetti squash with ghee
D: coconut chicken breast w/ zucchini and squash sauteed in coconut oil

Pinot Noir because I can't say no, and I studied inventory costing for 7 hours today.

Tried sauteed kale for the first time at lunch. EW. I dunked the chicken in coconut milk before I dunked it in a mixture of almond flour, unsweetened coconut flakes and cinnamon.

Not missing dairy one bit, and my stomach is thankful for it.

Not tracking macros or calories but I imagine this is <50g carbs and plenty of fat.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
No. They said sometimes people get these. I wore a monitor for 24 hours. But no symptoms. Haven't had any since Sunday night. I have a real hard time staying hydrated on NK. So in wondering if that was it. Been trying to figure it out. Last few months have been one damn thing after another, health wise. Hurt my back, fell on my face, almost broke my foot and this. Rediculous. If I wasn't on my phone I would have eye rolling smiley right here:
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #126
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Mar 02, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,619

Fat: 231
Pro: 119
Car: 25

78/19/4

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC, butter.
Lunch: Eggs and bacon.
Dinner: Chicken, cauliflower with bacon grease and bouillon.
Snack: HWC float.
End of Day: 1oz CO.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
Okay, weight was 232.4 today, down 1.6, yay!

I feel like all I've done is eat today, but the numbers don't look too bad:

Total cals: 1863
Protein: 101.4 gm (24%)
Carbs: 25.4 gm (5%) Alcohol (12%)
Fat: 118 gm (59%)

Dinner was really good. I had two Bullet Ryes (1.5 oz) each with water & ice, a skewer of garlicy salty beef, and sauteed broccolini with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes & lemon zest.

I may go a little higher on fat & cals tonight and have a little vanilla mascarpone.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Casey Its so hard. There have been times when I have been a little too obsessive with weighing in a million times a day, and when eating carbs I am definitely controlled by food, particularly during PMS.

Teresa I hate having to figure out what to wear to things. Sometimes I think the mirror lies to us, and we look much better through the eyes of our friends and family.

Myles - how is your back pain? I think I missed that update?

I found Kerrygold today! OMG, so delicious!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

THOROUGHLY enjoying reading "Well Fed", which I got in the mail today. Yes, it is a cookbook. YES, I read cookbooks like novels.

Mayo is my #1 most hated food in this universe, but after reading the recipe, I am so tempted to try out the homemade kind.

OK, so this cookbook has a Paleo/Whole 30 tint to it, but if you appreciate real food, I'd suggest you pick it up or at least check it out of the library. Its great reading.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post

Dinner was really good. I had two Bullet Ryes (1.5 oz) each with water & ice, a skewer of garlicy salty beef, and sauteed broccolini with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes & lemon zest.

I may go a little higher on fat & cals tonight and have a little vanilla mascarpone.

What is bullet rye?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Quote:

That's awesome!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
228 fat / 188 prot / 26 carbs

70.7 / 25.9 / 3.4

b: 4 nuked hot dogs (had to finish the pack!)
L: pork rinds w/ beef, cheese, onions, sour cream
D: onions, cheese, chicken, cabbage
S: old cheddar
Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:

congrats on the loss
Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Tom Petty has still got it. His concert is on the tube right now.

I shoulda married my hubby alot earlier. I missed out on a lot of concerts.
Now we are to much of a couple of old homebodies to go to concerts.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Tom Petty has still got it. His concert is on the tube right now.
I remember so clearly seeing him on saturday night live when I was nine doing Refugee. He freaked me out because I was completely convinced that he was on drugs. And now he (like all of the good ones, REM especially) is more like adult contemporary than on the edge. I guess this is just what happens when you get old.

I've had a weird food day. I think part of the problem was getting some exercise for the first time in forever yesterday and the part, that I woke up with a blood sugar of 52 this morning (which was probably a result of the exercise). To get over my b/s, I had a bowl of strawberries and blueberries with cream and truvia. Yum! But of course, that was not getting off on the right foot.

I think my macros are good for the day but I'm going to go way over on calories. I just decided to give myself a bit of a break for the day.

My weight was down another .2 to 183.4 today. I'm hoping to still be 183-something tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
The food log:

Ketocoffee and 4 strips bacon
Fajita flameado with 2 low carb tortillas and salsa
Grilled pork chop, salad with oil and vinegar, a few green beans
A bite of a birthday cake my daughter baked
A tequila on ice to toast Texas independence Day
Old 03-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
324.9 this morning.

I don't consider it a loss even tho the weight went down because on feb 23rd i was 324.0 and just went up after that.

I'm on a sales trip leaving in a few hours so we'll see how i can fare on the road. See u from the hotel later. ~
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
324.9 this morning.

I don't consider it a loss even tho the weight went down because on feb 23rd i was 324.0 and just went up after that.

I'm on a sales trip leaving in a few hours so we'll see how i can fare on the road. See u from the hotel later. ~
:jump joy:

So happy to see it going back down! I was worried for your scale's life if it went up any.

Safe travels!

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Sunday weight: 201.2. Up 2.3# since Friday morning
Yup. Up second day in a row. Hopefully things will start going back the right direction soon! I'm not worried. I know low carb works! Especially I ally for my body.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
New low for me ya 151.4
Well I quit my job.i just can't watch those older people not treated right,guess ill have to flip burgers at McDonald ..hehe...I saw the worst thing in the nursing home this time I've ever saw in my 5 years of being a CNA, so I said enough was enough..so guess ill look for another job after vacation this month...
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
New low for me ya 151.4
Well I quit my job.i just can't watch those older people not treated right,guess ill have to flip burgers at McDonald ..hehe...I saw the worst thing in the nursing home this time I've ever saw in my 5 years of being a CNA, so I said enough was enough..so guess ill look for another job after vacation this month...
Sounds like you didn't think twice. Terrible that the elderly are treated so bad.

Congrats on the new low, skinny!
Your doing so great!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #142
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Congrats!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
My weight was down another .2 to 183.4 today. I'm hoping to still be 183-something tomorrow.
Hooray!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #144
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
324.9 this morning.

Hmmmm. Friday you were 327.3. Today you are 324.9. So about 2.3 pounds.

But you don't consider that a loss?

If you were 329.6, 2.3 pounds the other direction, today would you not consider that a gain?

Look deep into my eyes.... you are experiencing a sharp pain as I execute a kung fu finger poke. In high school we used to chestize each other. When the other guy wasn't ready we'd punch the crap out of them in their chest lol. Consider yourself kung fu poked and chestized.

How is the pain? Gone or are you still taking painkillers/muscle relaxers?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Sunday weight: 201.2. Up 2.3# since Friday morning
Yup. Up second day in a row. Hopefully things will start going back the right direction soon! I'm not worried. I know low carb works! Especially I ally for my body.

Kelly
I'm curious to see how long it takes to stablize and start moving the other direction. You were eating really low protein on the fat fast, right? Your calories were about 1000 for the fat fast?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Made my best batch of bacon grease mayo yet. I used a little ACV and lemon juice, 1 whole egg and 1 yolk, a little dry mustard, salt, around 3 tbsp of lite olive oil and about a cup of bacon grease. Didn't measure anything, sorry, I never do.
I wanted to use picle juice instead of acv and lemon juice but someone threw it away. Aperfectly good jar of picle juice, just cause they ate all the pickles. tisk tisk.
I thought that would give it a zing. May have been gross but I will have to try that another day.

If you guys havent tried this it works so good. I use a coffee filter in a wide mouth mason jar, I take a ring and screw it on the top a little. Then you can strain your bacon greas right into the jar. I just leave the coffee fiter in there and strain the bacon grease thru it several times. Don't have to change it every time. I also cook my bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven. So much easier. I don't burn myself as much.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
New low for me ya 151.4
Hooray!!!

Becky maybe you could explore doing your care away from nursing homes? Like maybe acquire some clients that you go to their home and check on them, spend a little time with them, then go to the next clients home?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I'm curious to see how long it takes to stablize and start moving the other direction. You were eating really low protein on the fat fast, right? Your calories were about 1000 for the fat fast?
Yes. It was 1000 calories per day with the goal being 90% of that from fat. I averaged around 85%. That means 850 calories were from fat and I only had 150 calories left for carbs or protein. So it was low protein which is the only reason listed in the book as to why it wasn't sustainable for long term.

Incidentally, the scale is showing that I'm losing fat even though my weight went up. And my clothes are fitting better.

Though my ketone strips for the meter haven't arrived, the good old fashioned Ketostix show me in moderate. Morning glucose tests are usually low 80s.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
New low for me ya 151.4

Congratulations!! What a great way to start the day!

Sorry to hear about the conditions at your job. I just don't understand some people.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Mar 03, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 200.3 :/ heh I was thinking back to my bounce day on Wednesday wondering what had changed besides getting up at a gawd awful hour. It hit me like a ton of bricks, right about then is when some family drama arrived on the scene. It is funny cause it makes me mad about the drama for sabotaging my steady downward trend. Mad about the drama and mad about being mad about the drama lol
Closed Thread